• Published 4th Oct 2014
  • 695 Views, 9 Comments

The story of Parker, The Only Human - Novos



Part one of the trilogy: The stories of Novos. On a hunting trip in Africa takes an unexpected trip to a new world. To his suprise this new place may hold his future, with love, a family, and an angered gang.

  • ...
10
 9
 695

The Unexpected Beginning

Chapter one: The Unexpected Beginning

Ahh yes, it's finally here, my 18th birthday is in two days. My family and I have been planning this trip for the past two weeks for me and my twin sisters 'big day'. The plan was supposed to be me and my twenty-three year old brother went to Africa to hunt big game while my sister and my mother went to the 'big apple' to go shopping for her birthday. Little did we know what would transpire during my trip.

The forty acres we owned sown in South Carolina got really boring when you spend up to 3 years on it in between vacations, so I was excited to say the least. Living on a farm with very few friends is worse than you think. I mean, the work is fine, you build up muscles working everyday but having no friends besides family really blows. That's why when I wasn't at school or working I was at home on the computer playing TF2 or on the Xbox playing CoD. Why don't I have friends at school? I do but considering they would have to drive thirty minutes just to get to my family farm, not many cared. Also that i was a really random person who acted stupid all the time didn't help. Besides farm work, school, video games the only other interesting thing I do is play football, my position is inside linebacker to be specific. That is basically all thats important about me, unless you call being of irish descent and being a 5'9 'ginger', as called by my friends. Apparently having red hair that goes to your eyebrows, freckles, and blue eyes means you have no soul... Idiots.

"I hate planes." I told my brother on the flight to Africa. "Shut up, we'll be there soon. Just like 2 more hours or something.... Just let me sleep." My brother groggily replied after being awoken from his nap. I was too excited, Being an immature energetic person at heart I started bouncing around in my chair.

"Stop! We'll be there soon just please..... 30 minutes that's all I ask." I smiled. 'I am your ruler. I control your sleep, if i wanted I could leave you deprived so long you'll have hallucinations and go insane. Your welcome peasant.' I tried my hardest to stay still and just laid my head down and focused on the sound of the plane engines and other peoples conversation and fell into an unpleasant slumber.

5 hours later....

"HOLY JESUS DID YOU SEE THAT BUG FISHER?!" I screamed weaving my whole body away from the monster they call a soldier ant. He chuckled at me and climbed in our rented car. I ran across and hoped into the passenger seat. And awaited the long journey into the jungle to hunt.

The road was bumpy to say the least, i'm fairly short and I was easily smashing my face into the roof of the car. The four and 3 foot cracks and ditches IN THE ROAD were causing my head misery. "Screw this. We're stopping here. we've been on this road for atleast an hour or two. Lets just grab the compass and our gear and head out." He nodded and we exited the car.

The two hour walk was great. We saw some very colorful birds and a variety of monkeys. I looked back at my brother and saw that he was getting tired. I took a glance at the sky and confirmed that we only had a half hour before we are bathed in the wondrous moonlight.

"Hey Parker? I think this is far enough. Lets go ahead and set up camp. i'll grab firewood, you set up the tents." I nodded and watched as he dropped his equipment and began walking to the woods. I escaped from the weight of my gear and slowly began building our camp in the small clearing.

It took him 20 minutes until he got back. "Dang bro, what took you so long? I had the tent set up 5 minutes ago." He let out a chuckle and i heard a huge thud and a sigh of pleasure. I looked back to see a massive stack of dry wood. I couldn't help but smile at him. I clapped my hands together and he took a massive bow.

"Well, that tired me out. I'm going to light the fire and hit the bed. We're gonna need to rise early tomorrow so I recommend you get a good nights rest little bro." he said as he brought out the heavy duty lighter and lit the smaller leaves and twigs after putting them at the center of our camp. He gave a soft blow and I watched as the flames grew in intensity as I placed the logs ontop of the growing flames.

I nodded at him and gave a small " You got it bro, i'll be in my tent in 10 minutes or so." I always loved fire and flames. I sat and stared, completely entranced by the dancing of the flames. I gave a sigh and stood up. I looked back to the tents and thought to myself ' Its too early for that'. I took a look at the moon and smiled. One thing i loved to do at the farm was walk in the moonlight. I decided it wouldn't be too much of a risk to take a 10 minute walk in a circle around our camp.

I grabbed a bit of gear before stepping out away from the camp and into the darkness of the forest with the small amount of moonlight that crept to the forest floor from in between the trees.

A 'bit of gear' included my pump action shotgun for protection purposes of course, a flashlight, about 4 snacks , and a lighter. I was also glad to have my jacket with many pouches for ammunition or any other small items.

I was about 8 minutes into my walk, I was currently on my way back to the camp when I tripped and hit my flashlight on a root. Temporarily disabling the device that is needed when outside at night. I gave a sigh and picked up my pace to a jog. I was almost there when my foot slipped and I watched in horror as my foot kept falling, dragging my body with it.

It was a good 4 foot drop and a 10 yard tumble before i stopped and could readjust my senses. I attempted to look around but it was too dark to do so. I then tried to stand up. Only to find myself completely immobile from the waist down. I attempted to use my hands to push up from the muck.... only to find that they sunk in as well. I then discovered that I was slowly sinking.

Then it hit me. I was in quicksand and had nothing to help me escape. And boy did i scream. "FISHER HELP ME! IT CAN'T END LIKE THIS. OH MAH LERD FISHER HELP A BROTHA OUT!...."

This continued in full force until I was neck deep and couldn't scream anymore due to the sheer pressure on my lungs and ribs. I finally was met with a sight that made me so happy I could have cried. It was almost like an orga...nism in its natural habitat. I watched as my brother made his way to me in a full sprint. He tried to calm me down by saying reassuring words as in 'im here bro, i got you' as he reached in and grabbed my arm pits and was slowly getting me out when my look of happiness turned to horror.

I saw as a panther was crouching and sneaking behind my brother. I tried my hardest to squeak out a word as I was coming out of a coughing fit. The panther was shaking now and i knew that it was only a matter of seconds before it pounced. I said in barely a whisper " Panther....be..hind you..." Apparently he heard it as he let me go and spun for his shotgun. I dropped again shoulder deep in my soon-to-be grave.

I watched as he was too slow and could only get the gun between him and the panther and not get a clear shot. The panther took the opportunity as Fishers gun was immobile and took a massive chomp into his shoulder. My brother cried out in pain before letting the gun drop and grabbing the panthers head with both hands. I watched with wet eyes as he ripped the panther off his shoulder and blood spewed through the open wound.

He threw it as hard as he could away. Which being a 80 or so pound predator was a hard thing to do, it only ended up 4 feet away as he reached for his gun and placed it on his injured shoulder. I heard a loud bang and saw as the recoil on my brothers torn shoulder made him hit the ground along with his opponent.

I was letting out muffled cries of help as my mouth was slowly being filled with muck as I was slowly suffocating. Fisher crawled as fast as he could to me. I knew he wouldnt make it to me. But to make matters worse the panther behind him was slowly making its way to its feet. I now not only felt scared that i was going to die but my brother too. My last sight was filled with the image of the panther pouncing on my brother as he was crawling to me. Then my eyes were covered with the muck as my lungs burned and body ached under the pressure.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Hope you liked it. Im a noob at writing so sorry if its a little bland or doesnt have the best spacing and grammar and all. But, if you see any errors or have any constructive feedback let me know! I'm again sorry if this wasnt full of comedy or anything. This is just the crust of the bread. Well, im off to write the second chapter! Already have the first 10 planned out actually. See ya guys next chapter!

On another note. The chapters may not be too long but im going to spit them out rapidly. Hope you enjoy and get reay for one long flank story.