• Published 12th Sep 2014
  • 386 Views, 3 Comments

Where Did They Start? - Lyre4Lyra



Have you ever wondered how those poor background ponies got to where they are now? I've been thinking and this was the result.

  • ...
7
 3
 386

Octavia

Chapter 1 - Octavia Melody

“NO, NO, NO! That’s all wrong Octavia.” Bass Clef shouted.

“I … I’m sorry. I’m trying my best, but the music is … hard.” Octavia stated bluntly.
“ Are you sure the trombone is the best choice as your ‘Destined Talent’?” he gently asked?

“Do you think it is? Be honest.”

“ [sigh], Well Octavia, truthfully, no, I don’t. I think that music is part of you, just not the trombone.”

“What do you suggest, then?”

“Well, I have a friend who runs a stringed instrument shop and holds classes bi-weekly. I would like you to go with me when I take my granddaughter next, Lyra there for her lyre lesson. You can test the instruments and see which one suits you best. Since you know about the shop from me, lessons are free and instrument prices are reduced.”

“OK. When are you going next?”

“When Lyra gets here. She should be here any minute from her monthly sweets class with Sweetie Drop, Bon Bon will be with her.”

DING!!

“Speak of the devil and he doth arrive. Remember that Octavia.” She thought to herself.

“Well, are we all ready to go?” Bass Clef asked the string of foals in front of him.

“YES!!” They all said together, but Octavia not as enthusiastically.

They all started silently walking to the shop, more commonly known as “G-String”. Once they got there, Lyra headed to her class and bass clef took Octavia to test the instruments while Bon Bon Tagged along. Octavia almost immediately spotted the large cello in the back. Her initial reaction was to just leave the shop now, because if she was going to have to possibly play something that big for such a small foal, she was gonna die!

“Is something wrong, Octavia?” Bass Clef asked.
“I … Uh … Kinda … don’t wanna try the big one.”

“You mean that one?” He asks pointing directly at the cello.

“Yes”

Bass Clef started going to the cello and played a few chords standing on his hind legs and then showed Octavia how to do so.

“Is it fun?” Bass Clef asked.

“You know, this is kinda fun. And I can play Without using air too! I won’t have to worry about passing out again like I did when first tried the trombone.”

“So, do you wanna give the cello a try?”

Yeah, I think I will.”

One month later, Octavia woke up with a treble clef as a cutie mark. Three months following, Octavia became Canterlot’s most renowned musician. Two months after that, all of Equestria was asking her to play at parties, concerts and recitals for a heavy price, set by the client.

Author's Note:

I enjoyed writing this chapter, but it only took me an hour, so if you see anything that should be changed, please comment or PM me if it's serious and you want to look over unpublished chapters before they become public.