• Published 7th Sep 2012
  • 608 Views, 0 Comments

A New Symphony - damandan28



Score, a pony who struggled in the past, moves to Ponyville to see if he can start over and hide.

  • ...
 0
 608

Chapter 1: The First Day

Twilight Sparkle was studying in her tree house, as she did most days. What made today different was the fact that she wasn’t studying for anything in particular, but rather for the fun of it. After reading all the books she had scheduled for the day, she had tried to go sleep but she simply wasn’t tired.

Sighing, she said, “I guess I could stroll around Ponyville for a bit and use up some of my energy.”

She walked outside into the cool spring night. She saw two empty moving wagons pass by her and said to herself, “Who’s moving in at this time of night?”

Deciding to quell her curiosity by searching for the new member of the town, Twilight looked around town. She knew about every vacant house in Ponyville and went to every single one of them but it seemed no one had moved in.

“Hmm, where did those moving wagons come from? Oh, I remember Rarity saying that there was construction on a new house on a trail a bit past her boutique and the noise of it was driving her crazy.”

Twilight decided to head towards the direction of the boutique. She passed it and continued on the trail for a little while. It lead her to the top of a hill where she saw the new house. It was humongous, bigger than any other house in Ponyville.

“This pony must be rich,” she whispered to herself.

She then noticed a white unicorn with a blue mane not far off, a cigar in his mouth. She edged a bit closer to get a better look.

“He seems about the same age as me,” she said, surprised.

She’d tried to whisper but it came out louder then she wanted. The unicorn looked over to her, but she was quick to go into hiding. Taking a quick peek, she saw the unicorn head inside the house.

“Whoever he is, I’m sure he’d appreciate one of Ponyville’s fine welcomes!” she thought to herself, evident glee filling her. She then walked back to her house, the excitement of greeting the new pony tomorrow coursing through her thoughts.


“I guess it was just the wildlife, better get used to that,” I said tiredly.

Deciding I had enough of the cigar, I put it out--I was pretty tired from the day’s activties. Despite the nap I took on the way here. Deciding it was time to head to bed, I headed off to my bedroom.

-----------

*ding-dong*

I let out the most irritated vocalizations I could muster.

*ding-dong*

“….Uuuggghhh…What time is it?” I look over to the clock. “Eight…fuck.” I was never a morning pony.

“Hello?” I hear a faint voice call.

“Coming!” I yelled with annoyance as I walked down the stairs, careful to put on some clothing to cover up my cutie mark. It wouldn’t do to be recognized so quickly.

I open up the door to reveal a lavender unicorn mare, her mane a similar color with a pink streak through it.

“Good morning! My name is Twilight Sparkle. I'm here to welcome you to Ponyville!”

I cocked my right eyebrow, “How did you know I moved in?”

“Um…well…I ….um…”

I was pretty sure I had figured out how she knew, so I moved on, “Anyways. Is there something you need?”

“Actually I would like to welcome you to Ponyville and take you on a tour of the town.”

“Well as you know I got here late at night--”she blushed and gave an apologetic smile at that--“and I'm rather tired. So I would like to get some sleep.”

“Oh…sorry for bothering you,” she said, turning to leave. The disappointment and sadness in her voice was impossible to ignore.

Damn. I hate to make ponies sad... Well, innocent ones at least.

“Wait.” She turned back to me as I looked at the clock on the nearby wall. “If you come back around twelve, I’ll be happy to take a tour.”

“Sounds great!” She waved at me as she left.

“Well, at least she seems nice. But for now... back to bed.”

I collapsed back into the bed, having set the alarm for around 11:40. It took the barest of seconds for me to find sleep again.


I woke up to the alarm in a better mood than before. Grabbing a shower and brushing my teeth before heading downstair, I was very aware of how hungry I was for breakfast. As well as my usual pick-me-up to start the day; searching through one of the kitchen cabinets, I found a bottle of tequila and a shot glass. Filling the glass, I stared at the filled shot glass for a while, heavily considering. I reached a decision and declared, “Screw this. I'm here to find a new life, I don’t need this anymore.” I picked up the glass and chucked it at the wall.


Twilight was walking back to the new pony’s house when she looked up and saw a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane sleeping on a cloud. “Hello, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash awoke from her shallow dozing and looked down at Twilight.

“Hey Twi, what you up to?” she called with a wave.

“I'm about to go and see our new neighbor and take him on a tour of the town.”

“When did we get a new neighbor?”

“I saw him moving in last night.”

“Yeesh Twi, in less than 24 hours you're stalking the guy and now you're going on a date?” Dash said jokingly. Twilight blushed.

“It's not a date, it's a tour! And I was curious when I saw two empty moving wagons in the middle of the night.”

“I don’t know, Twilight--he sounds sketchy. Movin’ in in the middle of the night like that.”

“Well he seems like a nice guy.”

“Maybe. I think I better go with you.”

Twilight tilted her head in confusion and asked, “Uh...Why?”

“Just to make sure he doesn’t try anything funny.”

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous, Dash.”

“Come on Twi, I just want to make sure you're safe.”

“Fine. Whatever! But be nice.”

“C’mon, it’s me. When am I not nice?” Dash responded with a smirk.

They walked all the way to the house, where Twilight opened the door. “Hey are you rea--“

*CRACK*


*CRACK*

The shot glass broke on the wall next to the front door where Twilight entered.

“Damnit, Twilight are you oka--“ But I could finish since, next thing I know, a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane had tackled me to the ground.

“What's your deal pal!?” she said while she pinned me to the ground.

“It was an accident!”

“Yeah right! What’d you throw it for anyways, huh?!”

“I threw it at the wall!”

“Why!?”

“Because old habits die hard.” I sighed, turning to look at the bottle of tequila on the counter.

“Dash, it’s alright,” Twilight said

“You sure about that Twi? I could rough him up a bit.”

“Dash!”

“Ugh fine.” She got off me and I pushed myself back to all fours. “You're lucky I'm nice,” she said, the heat evident in her voice.

I wanted to say something but I didn’t want to escalate things.

“You okay Twilight?” I asked, ignoring the rude pegasus altogether.

“Yes, I'm fine. But I'm a bit worried about you.” Her gaze turned to the tequila.

“Yeah, like I said--old habits die hard. Sorry again.”

“Apology accepted! ...um…what’s your name?”

Shit! If I tell her my real name she might know me. Gotta come up with something...

“Um…” I remembered a song and said, “Bright. My name is Bright Side.” I mentally groaned as I said it--how cliche could one get?

"Well, Bright, we would like to officially welcome you to Ponyville!” Twilight gleefully said. She nudged the pegasus and mumbled, “Right, Rainbow Dash?"

"Yeah, welcome," she plainly said.

Come on Score, play nice.

I look her in the eyes and ask, as politely as I can, “And you are?"

"I'm Rainbow Dash, fastest flyer in Equestria."

"Nice to meet you, Rainbow Dash."

"Yeah," she says, monotone again.

Keep cool.

“Well. Come in, do come in! You girls get comfortable for a bit, I'm gonna go up and get some bits to buy you girls brea…um…lunch as a token of my apology.”

“Thank you, Bright, but you don’t ha--“ Twilight was silenced by Dash’s hoof in her mouth.

“Sounds great!” Dash exclaimed.

Figuring I shouldn’t waste the excitement, I ran up stairs to find some bits.


“Dash, why did you do that?” Twilight asked in a whisper.

“Hey, free food.” She shrugged. Her curiosity getting the better of her, she decided to look around the house. It wasn’t long before she found a black case on the floor--opening it revealed a violin inside.

“Dash! What are doing? You shouldn’t go through his stuff like that!”

“Well then he shouldn’t throw glass around his house,” she responded, looking the instrument over.

Twilight look at the violin. “Careful with that, Dash. It looks old. And expensive.”

“That’s because it is.” Bright said as he came down the stairs. That startled the girls a little.

Blushing in embarrassment, Twilight thought quickly to save face, “How old is it?”

“If I remember correctly, about 650 years old.”

“Whoa,” both mares said in unison.

“Can it still play?” Twilight asked.

“I should hope so: I play it all the time.”

“Well do you mind if we hear some?”

“Do we hav--”Dash said before being interrupted by Twilight’s glare. “Er...I mean that sounds great.”

“Don’t worry I'll play a quick one,” he said, an amused smile on his lips.

Score placed the instrument in position and was about to begin, when Twilight interrupted, “Couldn’t you use your magic?”

“I could but I like the feeling with it under my chin and using my hooves to play it.”

With that being said, Score prepped the instrument and played a song he thought Twilight and Dash could enjoy.