• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 754 Views, 57 Comments

Her Only Child - Rhonie8k



Bon Bon has everything she ever wanted in life, well almost everything. Her career is exactly where she wanted. She has a nice house and great friends. The only thing missing may be the one thing she can never have.

  • ...
2
 57
 754

Letting Everypony Know

"I must say this is just wonderful news." The orange unicorn beamed. "The last time we met you seemed down about your chances of finding somepony."

"Thank you. I haven't been close with Rarity for very long so I was really quite nervous about asking but what you said about just asking couldn't hurt helped me so much in building up the courage." Bon Bon polite replied. She didn't have it in her to tell the doctor that the experience had actually been quite hard on her. The important thing now was starting the process.

"Oh and I must thank you Miss Rarity. Bon Bon is such a sweet mare and what you're doing for her, well words can not express the generosity you are showing."

"Oh darling, stop." Rarity blushed as her cheeks turn the lightest shade of pink. "I'm always happy to help a friend. While it is true we only more recently got a chance to know each other Bon Bon and myself had a very powerful bonding experience and I consider her one of the dearest ponies to my heart. I know very well how big of a favor this is but I also know just how important it is to her and it would be a crime against our friendship if I didn't help."

It was the earth mare's turn to blush her beige coat taking a light crimson hue as she listened to her friend gush.

"Still it can't be overstated how draining and strenuous the process can be." The doctor reaffirmed. "Still it's always so wonderful when a match like yours is found. For now, what we need to do is start scheduling you for tests but judging by the medical records you've provided I don't see any obvious signs of complications."

Bon Bon and Rarity exchanged a smile while the doctor busied herself with scheduling appointments

***

"Oh my goodness Rarity that's so exciting, and doubly so for you Bon Bon," Fluttershy said in her usual soft-spoken manner. "Have you thought about how you'll manage the boutique at all through the pregnancy?"

"A little. We're still in the early stages of it all. So far I've just undergone a basic physical and nothing alarming came back. The doctor has me scheduled for a more thorough examination next week but everything looks good so far." Rarity said a bit nervously. In truth, she hadn't thought much about what might happen with the boutique, she had been so committed to helping Bon Bon that she hadn't thought about her work life. "I'll be able to work for the first few months and after that, I'll still be able to work on new designs through sketching." She was thinking out loud. "Once I start to show though I'll just have to take time off from taking on special orders and new clients." She resolved. She could afford to take time off if she started preparing now she could easily build a reserve of premade outfits for sale when the physically demanding seamstress side of things would have to be put on hold.

"It sounds like you have a plan then. If you do need any help with sewing or anything else I'm more than happy to lend a hoof." The pegasus offered softly.

"I hadn't properly considered how this might affect the boutique." Bon Bon admitted nervously. In the unicorns line of work, an extended absence could bear a heavy weight on her career. Still, she knew nothing would likely deter the unicorn from what she had already decided on. "I don't know anything about sewing or fashion but if there is anything I can do to help I will as well." Bon Bon stated.

"Yes if we all work together the boutique will manage just fine. I won't lose an ounce of the progress I've made in the industry and I won't do anything that could risk the baby's health." Rarity said resolutely. She was helping a friend and her friends would help her there was nothing to worry about at all.

The mares said their goodbyes and Fluttershy hugged the pair individually as they set off from her little woodsy cottage.

***

"That's cool." Rainbow Dash said in a bored-sounding tone as she rearranged the three small clouds she was working with.

"Did you even listen to what I just said Rainbow Dash?" Rarity growled in frustration.

"Yup." The pegasus replied as she applied the final touch to her project. She had arranged the clouds to form what looked like a target with a rather small bullseye.

"Then would you care to repeat it?" Rarity challenged as her friend made her way towards a make-shift ramp she had set up nearby.

"You're going to have a baby for Bon Bon," Rainbow said positioning herself for take-off.

"And all you have to say about that is cool" The unicorn nearly snarled the final word.

"Yes. It's cool of you to help a friend. But well I don't know Bon Bon very well and while I'm sure it means a lot to her I'm not really sure what more you expect out of me." Rainbow Dash remarked casually before sprinting down the ramp. When she reached the end she took off into the sky. She performed a few impressively acrobatic flight maneuvers before doing a tight dive through the cloud formation she had been working on landing with a stylish flick of her mane.

"You could at least have shown some tact and congratulated Bon Bon." Rarity said unimpressed with her friend's showy display.

"It's okay Rarity." Bon Bon said with a nervous laugh. She could understand where Rainbow was coming from. The two had barely interacted at all before now.

"I am sorry if I come off rude Bon Bon. It's just like I said we don't know each other that well. I really do think it's cool you and Rarity are doing this but I've just got to keep practicing if I want to land a spot on the Wonderbolts and I don't want to be distracted much by something that doesn't affect me very much."

"It's quite all right. I understand completely. And I believe you congratulated us in your own way." The earth mare said with a smile.

"See Rarity she gets it," Rainbow said dramatically flailing her forehooves.

Rarity was about to say something when the pegasus burst off in a sprint before flying away. She could only watch in dumbstruck horror as her friend left without a goodbye.

"I'm terribly sorry about her darling." Rarity said after regaining her composure.

"Would you get upset at me if Rainbow Dash made the Wonderbolts and I wasn't overly excited about it?" Bon Bon asked.

"Well no but that's obviously a very different situation." Rarity said taken aback.

"Not to her. Getting a spot on the Wonderbolts is her dearest wish."

"I guess when you put it like that." Rarity admitted. "In that case, let's just move along."

***

"Well howdy. That's some mighty big news." Applejack drawled. "Ah must say though I hadn't pegged y'all for a couple. So when's the wedding. Ah bet Pinkie Pie is excited to throw that wingding."

"Seriously Applejack you're as bad as Sweetie Belle." Rarity said followed by a long-drawn-out sigh.

"Are ya tryin ta tell me you don't plan to make an honest mare out of her first." The farm pony said with a challenging look at the unicorn.

"It's not that. We're not a couple Applejack." Bon Bon said nervously. "I have a medical condition and a foal wouldn't survive if I got pregnant. Rarity has graciously offered her assistance in that regard."

"Well, why didn't somepony just say so." Applejack said before bucking at a nearby tree causing the apples to fall loose into waiting bushels below.

"We did but you were too busy bucking apples to hear that part." Rarity said with some frustration. Maybe coming here right after dealing with Rainbow Dash had not been the best choice.

"Cider seasons bout ta start. I got to keep moving if ah plan to keep up with demand." Applejack said matter of factly as she bucked the next tree in line. "What ya plan on doing for that sweet mare is a mighty fine thing Rarity. And I think you'll make a great mom Bon Bon. Just remember taking care of foals ain't no picnic. I hope you got a good bunch of friends and family to help ya out if you really plan on doing it on ya own."

"Thank you Applejack." Bon Bon said sweetly. The last part had caught her a little off guard and she got lost in thought after her reply. She didn't have anyone to help her once the baby was born. Her parents were a bit on the older side and were retried in Tailahassee. Her friend group only included Lyra and now Rarity. Lyra was unreliable at best and she couldn't ask her to do more for her after the baby was born.

"Well it was nice chattin with y'all but I best be gettin back ta work." Applejack said picking up her pace as she moved to the next group of trees a little way up from where the other mares were standing. "Y'all come back now! Ya hear?"

"Is everything all right?" Rarity asked Bon Bon sensing a feeling of trepidation coming off her friend.

"What Applejack said about friends and family. I was planning to do this all on my own but what if she's right. What if it proves to be too much for just me?" Bon Bon said quietly in case the farmer came back.

"Well, that's just silly darling. You've thought all this through very carefully. Your business is going well and you have a nice amount of savings put back." Rarity said smiling sweetly. "You also won't be on your own. I'm certainly not going anywhere after the baby is born. I'll always be right there to help if anything were to come up. Mrs. Cake may have her hands full with the twins but I'm sure she would always be there for you in a pinch. You also promised Sweetie Belle she could help and while that might not be much at first I'm certain she will grow into a responsible young lady and prove plenty helpful as time goes on. You are ready for this Bon Bon. We're ready for this."

"You're right." Bon Bon agreed. She still felt nervous about what Applejack had said but Rarity's words had got through to her. "So where to next?"

***

"BON BON IS HAVING A BABY, A BABY, A BABY. BON BON IS HAVING A BABY." Pinkie Pie chanted excitedly.

"Calm down Pinie you don't want to wake up the twins." Mrs. Cake said sternly.

"But Bon Bon is going to have a baby. This is cause for celebration." Pinkie Pie chirped excitedly.

"Yes it is but can we can do it quietly for the moment?" The older mare pleaded

"You're right I just got so excited." The pink pony said more calmy. "But this means the twins will have somepony else to play with. Aunty Pinkie is gonna arrange only the best most funnerific of playdates." Her excitement was boiling over again.

"It will still be some time before that can happen." Mrs. Cake pointed out.

"That's true. We're still very early in the process and then there's the full term of pregnancy. You also can't just put a newborn into situations like that. It may be further away than you think Pinkie." Rarity explained.

"Oh, I know all that. But that won't stop me from planning it." Pinkie said, "Speaking of planning can I throw you guy's a baby shower?" She added abruptly.

"I suppose if you want to." Bon Bon said hesitantly.

"No surprise parties," Rarity added firmly. "You have to coordinate everything through me and Bon Bon to get our approval first. We wouldn't want anything sudden and jarring to happen while I'm pregnant and risk stressing the baby."

"Okey Dokey Artichokey." Pinkie Pie agreed. "Now who wants cupcakes?" She asked revealing a tray of cupcakes decorated with little foals.

"Do you always just have cupcakes like those ready?" Bon Bon asked a bit perplexed at the specificity of the designs.

"No that would be silly. Super exciting news like this doesn't happen every day." Pinkie said with a laugh like she heard the funniest joke.

"Then may I ask how you decorated them while were sitting here" Bon Bon inquired further.

"I made them just before you arrived. My left ear started to twitch and then both my nostrils flared followed by an itch just above my cutie mark. That had never happened before but I knew my Pinkie Sense was telling me to make these extra special cupcakes and now I know why."

"But..." Bon Bon started to ask before she was interrupted.

"Please don't question it." Mrs. Cake and Rarity said dryly in unison.

***

"Fascinating," Twilight said enthusiastically as she retrieved a notebook out of thin air. "Could you explain how your relationship reached this point so quickly?" She asked with a smile.

"Not you too Twilight." Rarity said rubbing her face.

"Not me what?" Twilight asked visibly confused.

"We're not a couple." Rarity explained.

"I know that. Who said you were?" The purple unicorn questioned.

"You did. You asked how our relationship developed. Sweetie Belle I could understand and Applejack just jumped to the wrong conclusion but I expected more reason from you of all ponies." Rarity stated.

"No, you two are just very good friends. I can see that." Twilight explained. "Until recently though I had you marked down as merely acquaintances. It was only the night of the book drive that I saw fit to bump you up to budding friendship. This level is a huge jump from that. Knowing what caused you to bond so quickly would be a major breakthrough in my research."

Bon Bon suddenly felt very nervous and could feel the color leaving her face. Thankfully no pony else seemed to notice.

"Twilight are you using that journal to track the relationships of the ponies around you?" Rarity asked raising her voice slightly.

"Notebook? What notebook?" Twilight said sheepishly as she caused the notebook to magically vanish.

"Twilight darling." Rarity said demanding the mare's attention. "It is not your place to evaluate the relationships between others and track them for your own motives. Nor is it your right to say what favors a pony can do for somepony else at any stage in a relationship. Nor is okay to butt into said relationships and ask how they developed. If somepony wants to tell you why they might be close to somepony else that is their right but you should never just ask something like that." The unicorn scolded.

"I'm sorry." Twilight stammered. "I didn't realize."

"But you should have." Rarity said sharply. "We had very special news we wanted to share with a dear friend and your first thought was to put our friendship under a microscope you should know better than that."

"Rarity." Twilight began.

"Let's go Bon Bon." Rarity said in a huff moving towards the library's front door.

"Are you sure we should leave like this?" Bon Bon asked as they stepped outside.

"It was clear she was making you uncomfortable. You went completely pale when she asked that deeply personal question." Rarity said perhaps a tad too bluntly. She was still riled at Twilight's total lack of couth.

"She did." Bon Bon nodded. "But it wasn't intentional. Twilight was just being Twilight and got carried away with what she thinks is a science. I'm only just learning this myself but friendship like cooking or baking can feel like a science with facts and measurements you easily follow that make sense. But at the same time they really aren't some factors and variables just don't add up and sometimes you try to figure out why and you just make a mess of things. You were probably right to scold her but you may have taken it too far. I think we should apologize too."

"Well, you certainly don't have anything to apologize for darling. But you're right." Rarity said she was impressed with her friend's resolve. "However I think it's best if I do this part on my own. You run ahead and find Lyra I'll meet you at your place after I talk things out with Twilight."

"Okay." The earth mare agreed. "I'll see you soon." She hugged her friend and headed in the direction of Lyra's house.

***

"You asked her of all ponies?" Lyra asked in disbelief. "You should have just come to me first. Of course, I'll do it."

"Lyra." Bon Bon said choking on her carrot juice. "Everypony here knows why that's a bad idea."

"What's that supposed to mean?" The mint-colored unicorn asked.

"Do you really want to make me say it?" Bon Bon challenged.

"Okay, you're right." She said leaning in so only the earth mare could hear what she was about to ask. "But is she the best choice?"

"It's okay Lyra she knows." Bon Bon said calmly.

"She knows?" What do you mean she knows." Lyra asked unsure of how much she could give away.

"She knows everything. She knows about Sweetie Belle. She knows I'm her mother. She knows what I did." Bon Bon said before taking another sip of juice.

"And you're both okay with that?" Lyra said sprawling on the floor.

"Of course darling. Sweetie Belle is the most precious little thing and I can't even begin to imagine how life would be without her." Rarity exclaimed.

"I've been forced to confront my past and while it's still a struggle at times things are getting better." Bon Bon explained. "Rarity has been very helpful with that as well." She smiled at her new friend.

"Does Sweetie Belle know?"

"No! and you're never to tell her." Bon Bon said forcefully. "We both agreed that it's best she doesn't know she was adopted."

"Why the heck would I tell her?" Lyra asked.

"Well, she does know that Rarity is helping and they both might be around. So if we're all in the same place I don't want you accidentally saying something you shouldn't."

"I'm not dumb enough to do something like that." Lyra declared. "Moving on then. Let's celebrate. This is all some pretty exciting stuff." The unicorn retrieved a flash from her saddlebag near the door and used it to refill her half-empty glass of carrot juice. "You want some Bonnie?"

"You know I don't" Bon Bon rolled her eyes.

"Relax I'm only teasing. What about you Rarity? This is some primo stuff pretty soon you'll be all knocked up and then Bonnie will get mad if I offer it."

"Lyra Heartstrings." Bon Bon huffed.

"No thank you, Lyra. I have on occasion indulged in a nice glass of wine or two but Bon Bon has an obvious aversion to alcohol so even if you had something more suiting to my taste I would still have to decline." Rarity said in a firm but polite tone.

"Oh, Bonnie doesn't mind. Right Bonnie?" Lyra asked.

"You're a grown mare Lyra I won't try to tell you what you can or can not do. Rarity is right though. I would actually appreciate it if you didn't drink around me."Bon Bon wasn't sure where she found the words but she was glad she had been able to say them.

"So wait me drinking around you really does bother you?" Lyra asked sincerely. "I always thought that was your way of messing with me for messing with you about drinking."

"No. I don't care for being around it at all it just makes me uncomfortable." Bon Bon explained. "I can and will still tolerate it but if you would at least not flaunt it would be so much more bearable."

"So if you don't know I'm drinking it's fine?" Lyra asked.

"Yes." Bon Bon agreed it seemed they may have reached a minor breakthrough at least and even though she might be able to suspect if and when her friend may be drinking around her she could at least take solace in some uncertainty.

"That much should be easy. I drink places where I'm not supposed to all the time. I just have to not let it get past a light buzz and no pony can tell the difference." Lyra admitted proudly. "So does that wrap things up here? I have plans with Vee, Tavi is out of town and we're gonna check out a mares club." She turned to Rarity. "It's okay they have an understanding, but don't tell Octavia I told you about that, or that I know about it. Just don't mention it at all."

"Goodbye Lyra." Bon Bon said flatly ushering the unicorn out the side door.

Bon Bon collapsed into her chair as soon as she returned to her other guest.

"I'm sorry about her.' Bon Bon sighed.

"Nothing to apologize for darling. It seems she can be a real hoofful, but at the same time she has a unique charm about her.

"Yeah. She wouldn't do so well with the mares and stallions if she didn't." Bon Bon agreed. "Honestly that went better than I was expecting. I never really expected her to take me seriously about drinking around me but it did sound like she would hide it and that feels like progress."

"I'll leave you to decide what you're okay with but if you ever need me to talk to her just say the word." The unicorn said. "It's been a long day and I'm sure you're tired as well." She gave the earth mare a parting hug. "Goodnight Bon Bon."

"Goodnight Rarity" The earth mare returned the hug before the unicorn let herself out.