• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 1,083 Views, 13 Comments

Beauty is in the Eye of the Tiger - GlueFactory



Applejack in a beauty pageant? Can Rarity and Fluttershy turn the down-home country gal into a debutante?

  • ...
1
 13
 1,083

Chapter 2

“It ain't possible,” blurted Applejack again, reading through her acceptance letter for the tenth time. “It just. Ain't. Possible.”

“Er, ah, congratulations?” said Twilight, with a nervous smile. “Er... sorry?”

“Congratu-sorry?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“I'm the one who should be sorry,” said Applejack, looking at Fluttershy. “I made a big ol' mess of things. Can you ever forgive me, Fluttershy?”

“It's okay, Applejack,” smiled Fluttershy, giving AJ a loving nudge. “I wasn't really expecting to win anyway.”

“But what about your little critters?”

“Oh they'll be fine. Nothing wrong with me spending more time with the animals.”

“I know you're just trying to make me feel better,” sighed Applejack. “But I'm still really sorry. Same goes for you Rarity, I know how important this pageant was for- …. uhhhh... Rarity?”

Rarity hadn't budged the whole time. It had been minutes since the messenger left and the unicorn was frozen with the kind of expression she'd give if someone told her potato sacks were the new chic. Rainbow Dash floated above Rarity, waving and clomping her hooves in front of her face.

“Yo, Rarity? Yoo hoo. Equestria to Rarity?”

Applejack hung her head even lower.

“Um,” said Fluttershy, trying hard to find the words. “Rarity sure is ... eh.... surprised.”

“I’ve got this,” proclaimed Rainbow. The others watched as a multicolored blur zipped to the kitchen, breaking a tray of ice cubes into an empty pitcher and filling it with water. Zipping back, she proudly dumped the cold mixture right on Rarity, soaking her through.

She didn't even blink.

“Okay,” muttered Rainbow. “Wow.”

“Great,” said Twilight. “Now Rarity's catatonic and wet. I-.” Twilight tried to catch herself, but it was too late as she saw Applejack head towards the door. “Uh, I-I mean, she sure is surprised, uh right, Fluttershy?”

“Forget it gals,” said Applejack, sounding more determined. “I know what I gotta do.”

“What's that?” asked Twilight.

“Simple, I'm telling who's ever in charge they made a mistake.”

“But Applejack,” began Fluttershy.

“My mind's made up, Fluttershy. I ain't one for beauty contests,” With that, Applejack exited Sugarcube Corner.

The awkwardness and silence hung in the air. Fluttershy and Twilight could only look at each other and shurg. Pinkie was about to say something, stopped, thought about it, tried to say something again, then stopped and thunk about it again. Rainbow, undeterred, scowled in Rarity’s face.

“Jeez, snap about it already,” she demanded. “Okay that does it.”

Rainbow lifted up one of the unicorn’s ears and leaned in close.

Rainbow cleared her throat, took in a deep breath and...

“You can't quit!” yelled Rarity.

Twilight nearly stumbled over Fluttershy who ducked right under her. With a yelp, Rainbow Dash fell on her back, clutching her chest and breathing heavily, her eye twitching.

Pinkie just smiled.

“Welcome back Rarity,” she said.

“Fluttershy,” said Rarity, frantically reaching for the pegasus. “We have to stop her.” .

“But-” and a quick “mew” was all Fluttershy could muster as Rarity grabbed her and ran out the door.

“Well,” remarked Twilight. “Today was certainly.... eventful.”

“Seriously....” said Rainbow, picking herself up. “Applejack enters a beauty contest?”

“And they pick her?” added Pinkie.

“I know hilarious,” said Twlight, rolling her eyes. “Give it a rest already.”

Pinkie and Rainbow looked at Twilight like she grew a second horn then looked back towards each other.

“We’ve totally gotta get some good seats,” said Rainbow, bouncing and them hovering in the air.

“Heck yeah!” shouted Pinkie with an equally high hop impressive for a non-pegasus. “Let’s go before somepony else grabs ‘em!”

“Huh?” blurted Twilight, seeing the two leave the shop. “What happened to ‘AJ in a beauty contest, har har har?’”

“That airship already sailed, Twi, get with the times,” said Rainbow on her way out. “What do you wanna do to cheer on Applejack?”

“Ooooo I know I know,” said Pinkie as she and Rainbow left Sugarcube Corner. “How about apple-shaped balloons? Or some really awesome-looking signs? Oooo! Or since we’re cheering her on, let’s make a cheer! ‘Bric-a-bracka, fire-cracka, sis-boom-bah! Applejack! Applejack! Rah rah rah!’”

Twilight was left alone, still trying to process what just transpired.

Outside, Applejack found herself cut off by a soaking wet Rarity with Fluttershy in tow.

“Applejack, stop,” ordered Rarity. “Won't you think this over?”

“Uh, hi,” squeaked Fluttershy.

“What the?” said Applejack, taken aback. “Look, nothin' doin'. Okay?”

“But it's such a rare opportunity. Pleeeease Applejack,” pouted Rarity.

“Look, all the primmin' and properin' may be fun for you, but not this gal, and nothin' you say is gonna change my mind.”

As Applejack walked past, Rarity bit her lip tightly. Before she could protest again, Fluttershy halted her.

“It's okay, Rarity,” she said, smiling. “If Applejack wants to quit, then we should respect her decision.”

Applejack stopped right in her tracks.

“What did I hear about quittin'?” she asked flatly.

“Oh! Um... I was just saying that-,” Fluttershy could only stammer as Applejack stomped towards her.

“Now look here,” she said. “I. Ain't. Quitten'. I'm gracefully bowin' out. Okay?”

“Okay..” said Fluttershy.

“I'm not gonna waste my time purdyin' up for some contest, okay?”

“....okay....”

“Okay.... glad to have that settled, then.”

Applejack began to trot off, but found Rarity keeping pace alongside her.

“Good call, Applejack,” she said, winking behind her towards blankly staring Fluttershy.

“Well thank you, Rarity.”

“Your decision is both practical and very level-headed.”

“I'd like to think so.”

“I mean, not everypony can compete in such a pageant.”

“Yeah, sure.”

“And it's very mature to know your limits.”

“Know my...? Wait a sec...”

“I mean the very idea of you becoming Miss Ponyville is quite honestly... well....”

“Is what?” asked Applejack, stomping her hoof. “There ain't nothin' to it. Just put on a dress an' smile. It's hardly plowin' a field or apple-buckin'.”

“Well of course... if that's what you think.”

Applejack stopped and gave Rarity a good long stare.

“Y'all thinkin' I can't do it.”

“Oh Applejack,” cooed Rarity. “It doesn't matter what we think.”

“Sure doesn't, ha ha heh....” said Fluttershy, frantically forching herself between the two, beads of sweat on her face. “In fact you should just start ignoring us right now.”

“But Fluttershy,” said Rarity with a thick layer of smarm. “I was just complimenting Applejack for knowing when to cut her losses.”

“Oh that tears it,” growled Applejack. “I could win this beauty contest hogtied and blindfolded if I wanted.”

“Ohhhh, of course you could, Applejack....” said Rarity, rolling her eyes.

Fluttershy was practically gnawing on her hooves.

“Darn tootin',” yelled Applejack. “See if I don't!”

“You will?” asked both Rarity and Fluttershy suddenly.

“But I... I can't just...” began Applejack trying to catch herself. But before she could finish, she found herself looking into the hopeful, pleading, wide eyes of a white unicorn.

“.....can't just... make a decision like this without hashin' it over with the Apple family y'know.”

“Yes, of course,” said Rarity. “You go and... hash.”

“Okay then,” said Applejack, heading home.

As Applejack turned and walked away, Fluttershy looked at Rarity, then toward Applejack, then toward anyplace sutible for cowering. She finally settled on wrapping her tail around herself like a security blanket and chewed at her lower lip.

“I didn’t mean to... I understood why she didn’t... a-all I meant was... “ she studdred when Applejack was out of earshot. “Oh my, what did you do, Rarity? Oh me, what did I do? Oh my goodness, what have we done?”

“Really Fluttershy,” smiled Rarity. “Don't you think Applejack could win?”

“You.... you really think so?”

“Of course. Applejack would make a fantastic Miss Ponyville. She has looks, personality and has a strong character, all the traits needed to win. But I knew she wouldn't go for it so I had to... needle her a bit.”

“But.. it doesn't feel right.”

“Don't worry, we'll be helping her the whole time.”

“Really?” Fluttershy began to smile again.

“Really. For now we have to wait. Um, Fluttershy sweetie?”

“Yes.”

“Why am I sopping wet?”

“Ummmmmm...”