• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 355 Views, 1 Comments

Abby - KingNyroc15



Royal Nexus meets an intriguing earth pony mare with the abilities of a unicorn.

  • ...
 1
 355

Chapter 2

Nexus followed the mare through the entrance to the Everfree Forest when he realized something.

"I don't even know your name."

"My name is Obsidia, but my friends used to call me Abby."

"Why Abby?"

"They tried to shorten my name to Obby, but it sounded weird. They asked me if Abby was a good nickname. I agreed with them, and it has been my nickname ever since."

"Obsidia...I like it. So what exactly is your plan, Obsidia?"

"Abby is fine. And my plan is to put my knowledge somewhere safe. Somewhere only the truly gifted can unlock."

"Again, the princess may help. They won't try to take your knowledge, but they certainly wouldn't want one of their subjects to die because of it."

"I know this. However, it is something only I can do."

"If you say so. I'm in this for the long run."

"If you say so. You do know we're most likely going to die."

"That means you know exactly where we're going and how to get to it. What's the destination?"

"The Canterlot Library." Nexus froze while Obsidia kept walking. They wouldn't harm us for breaking into certain parts of the library...would they? He trotted back to her side.

"If we're going to Canterlot, why are we walking through the Everfree? We can easily take a train there."

"I plan on using transportation. I am strolling through this dangerous forest to think, hoping my conscience will deter me from attempting my plan. So far I am having no such luck."

"If I remember the tales correctly, there should be a zebra shaman near here." Obsidia nodded.

"Her name is Zecora, and no I will not accept her help. She will have no remedies for me. Not even scientists could create one."

"Have you tried asking them?"

"Nexus, do you know what scientists do?"

"Depends on the scientist. What do you think they do?"

"They feed off of information. Imagine what they would do to capture the impossible knowledge flowing through my mind right now. An ever-growing knowledge that destroys the mind but increases in capacity every hour."

Nexus and Obsidia didn't say anything else after that. It was obvious to Nexus that this mare was hurting. Of course she wouldn't like what's happening to her. But what caused it in the first place? If it could happen to her, it could happen to any other pony.

"Abby," Nexus called after they finally exited the forest. It was nearly sundown.

"Yes."

"How did you acquire your abilities?" This time, Abby was the one to freeze in her tracks. She looked at him without turning her body.

"Let us find somewhere to rest. Canterlot can wait until tomorrow."

"Didn't you say your mind will not be able to live that long?"

"It was a theory and an exaggeration. I should be fine for another day or two. Tomorrow, we will reach Canterlot by 5 o'clock if we take the first train in the afternoon."

"If you say so. I'll be with you if things go south." Their conversation ended.

They found the closest inn in Ponyville and rented a room for the night. Since there was only one bed, Nexus gave Obsidia the bed while he slept on the floor. Curling up in a spare blanket with eyes closed, Nexus couldn't stop thinking about the mare's predicament.

She's claims to be nearing infinite knowledge. She predicts she only has a day or two to live, yet she refuses to find help. I want to trust her but...I can't let a pony die. There's no point thinking about it right now. I'll just wait till tomorrow and find one of the princesses when we're in Canterlot.

--------------

The next morning, Nexus awoke to a strange feeling; something was pressed against his chin. Opening his eyes, he looked down and saw Obsidia cuddled against him. Somehow sleeping with her neutral expression, the mare held him as she slept.

"Abby?"

"Yes?" she whispered in reply.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to feel again."

"Feel what?"

"Anything. A bond with somepony, love, friendship, lust. Something to help remind myself that I was once a normal pony."

"You're still a normal pony in my eyes. You're just ridiculously smart."

"Thank you, but I am far from normal now. An earth pony, or anypony for that matter, shouldn't be able to do what I can." She stood up and looked down at Nexus. "We should start moving. Wake yourself up and let's go."

The pair left the inn and made their way to the train station. Nexus glanced at the inn's clock on the way out of the lobby; it was almost noon. The first train should be available within the next hour. After taking a seat at the station, Nexus realized that Obsidia dragged him here without letting them eat breakfast first.

"We should eat before leaving," he commented.

"The train arrives in about thirty-five minutes. If you can bring us food within that time frame, I will not stop you."

"I'll try my best. I'll be back in time." With that said, Nexus ran into town.

He quickly saw a bright-colored building that looked like it was made from candy. He immediately wanted to go in there but knew better. They didn't need sweets right now. He saw a restaurant not far from his current location and made a beeline for it.

Nexus would have walked straight towards the restaurant if a pony didn't accidentally slam into him. He was knocked to the ground. Rubbing his head, Nexus looked at the pony, who was also on the ground. She was a grey mare...with bat wings.

"Sorry about that," she said. "I was trying to catch up to my friends who just left."

"Don't mention it," Nexus replied slowly. She's even cuter face to face.

"Do I know you?"

"Me? Doubt it." The mare started to sniff him. Nexus pulled his head back.

"Are you a guard?" she asked.

"What makes you say that?"

"Your mane smells like gravel and steel. The same scent of the Guard's armor. That stuff never goes away. You also have..." She sniffed again. "...the faint smell of a mare. The ladies' colt are we?"

You could say that. Wait...why didn't I say that out loud? I could easily flirt with this mare. What's stopping me? Maybe it's because of the task at hoof?

"A hug from a mare can make any stallion smell like one," Nexus said. "If you'll excuse me, I have something urgent to attend to. It was nice meeting you, miss..."

"You can call me Nyra. And what is your rank, sir..."

"Nexus. Knight Nexus. It was nice meeting you!" He ran off as he exclaimed the last sentence.

"A knight, huh? Not bad looking." Nyra looked in the direction she should have been running in. "Hmm, looks like I lost my window to follow them. Oh well." She turned towards the front door of a nearby house and entered it.

-------------

Nexus returned with food just before the train arrived. He and Obsidia entered then found a cart to be alone in. Barely anypony was traveling to Canterlot at the moment. As the train made it's way through the country, the two sat next to each other as they looked out of the cart window.

"So," Nexus started.

"Hmm?"

"How exactly did you get your powers?"

"Ah yes, that. I seem to have forgotten to tell you. It is somewhat of a long story."

"We have plenty of time."

"Indeed we do. Very well. I grew up in a wealthy family of earth pony miners. My father and older brother mined for gems every day. They always knew where to look and who to sell them to. As they did this, my mother taught my about various kinds of jewels and minerals.

"One day, my father brought home a strange sapphire. It seemed to be teeming with blue fire inside. I asked if I could hold it in my hoof to get a better look at it. As I held it, I found myself unable to look away. When my father attempted to grab it, the sapphire refused to leave my hoof; it appeared to be cemented to it. Then the gem began to burn into my hoof. My family could only watch as my red eyes changed to neon blue. I spasmed on the ground but calmed down within the minute. It was then that I stood up, walked outside, continued away from my home, and never looked back."

"You weren't in control of your body," Nexus said. "Eventually, you knew what you had to do to remove this strange power so you could return to your family." Obsidia nodded. "But how did that rock do this to you?"

"I do not know. All I care about is removing it. It was clearly not meant to be found by any creature."

"Whoever, or whatever, buried it obviously didn't count on miners."

"Apparently not. The past is the past. I am only interested in the future." Nothing was said for a few minutes until Nexus finally spoke up.

"So your eyes used to be red?" Nexus asked, looking at her bright blue eyes. "That must have looked cool."

"Do you want to see?" She locked eyes with him.

"Do you have a picture before the incident?"

"I will not need one." Obsidia's eyes shined, and her eye color changed to a brightish red. Nexus was stunned.

"Wow...you look amazing like that." Obsidia's eyes widened a little; Nexus swore he saw a small blush. She felt something.

"Thank you for the compliment. I suppose I could keep my eyes this way, but I do not want ponies to see my eye color as intimidating."

"Is that why you kept them as blue?" Obsidia looked down. "And this is why I said you're still a normal pony. You feel a little embarrassed right now."

"I never said I do not feel any emotion. I simply said that they will not be with me for long."

"Well then the only thing that matters is right now~." He scooted down the seat to sit right next to her.

"I would rather focus on what I have to do in Canterlot." Abby backed away and positioned herself to take a nap during the trip. Nexus sighed and continued to look out of the window. Why do I feel bad for wanting to flirt with Abby. No...her name is Obsidia. Fits her much better.