• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 3,969 Views, 79 Comments

Ponies Are Animals Too - Zurvan



The story of how Fluttershy came to adopt Scootaloo:

  • ...
8
 79
 3,969

Chapter 1: Here Comes The Sun

Takes place during “Friendship is Magic”

Chapter 1: Here Comes The Sun

Scootaloo rode her scooter from the orphanage to her friend’s house. She pulls up to the multi-level house and carefully leans her scooter against the side of the house near the door before walking up to the door and knocking on it.

An adult pink unicorn, with two-toned hair done up in a beehive answers the door. “Well, hello there Scootaloo."

Scootaloo smiles. “Hey Missus Crumbles, can Sweetie come play?”

“How many times have I told you to call me Cookie? Would you like to come in for breakfast? Sweetie’s cooking.”

Scootaloo grimaces, “maybe I should come back later.”

“Hey Scoots!” Sweetie shouts as she comes out of the kitchen, a tendril of smoke above her. She walks up to her mom and kisses her on the cheek. “Breakfast is ready mom.”

“I’ll get your father.” Cookie says as she walks off.

“So what’s up Scoots?” Sweetie asks.

“I just came to see if my best friend could play.”

“Last I checked I was your only friend.” Sweetie says and immediately regrets it when Scootaloo starts to look real sad. “Scoots, I didn’t mean it like that, I swear.”

“You mean it Sweets?” Scootaloo says with tears in her eyes.

Sweetie hugs Scootaloo. “You know I do, I just….” she hesitates.

“Forget that I’m all alone in the world?” Scootaloo asks and Sweetie Belle nods embarrassed. “Can you hang out with me today to make me feel better?”

“I have to check with my mom, but if she doesn’t have any plans I don’t see why not.” Sweetie answers. “Come on in, I cooked.”

Scootaloo not wanting to hurt her friends feelings after her own were nearly crushed follows Sweetie and looks at the burnt mess that her friend calls breakfast. She sits down at the table with Sweetie’s parents. “I see you decided to join us Scootaloo.” Cookie says.

“Sweetie convinced me.” Scootaloo says as she sits.

“So mom, can I spend the day with Scootaloo?” Sweetie asks as she serves up some food to Scootaloo.

“As long as you keep your distance from your sister’s shop and you both promise to come to Summer Sun Festival I don’t see why not.” Cookie answers.

“Sounds pretty fair to me,” Scootaloo says before eating something Sweetie had placed on her plate.

“How is it?” Sweetie asks eyes wide.

All eyes look to Scootaloo as she swallows. “I can honestly say it’s no worse than the stuff they feed me at the orphanage.”

Sweetie squeals in delight. “I’m going to go get ready.” She runs up to her room.

“Is the orphanage food really that bad?” Cookie asks suddenly concerned.

“As I said Sweetie’s cooking’s about the same, though the orphanage’s food does tend to look slightly better.” Scootaloo answers with a grin as she cleans her plate.

“I’m ready!” Sweetie practically sings as she comes back downstairs her saddlebags on her back.

“That reminds me.” Sweetie’s dad says all the sudden. “I have something for you.”

“What are you up to Hondo?” Cookie asks.

“Dad?” Sweetie asks confused as Hondo walks into a room off the kitchen and comes out pulling a red wagon with a helmet in it.

“I was watching you move on that scooter the other day Scootaloo and was thinking maybe you could pull this wagon behind you.” Hondo says.

“What’s the helmet for?” Sweetie asks.

“Well..” Hondo starts then looks at his wife who just rolls her eyes. “I was thinking she could pull you in the wagon, so you two could get to places faster.”

Scootaloo’s little wings buzzed in excitement. “I definitely think I can manage that.”

“Now you two go have fun you hear?” Hondo asks as they run to Scootaloo’s scooter and work on attaching the wagon to it.

They both put on their helmets just as Cookie steps outside and yells. “Be careful.” Only to see Scootaloo start buzzing her wings and the two of them shot off. Sweetie screaming in surprise, and maybe a little terror.

====================

Scootaloo pulls the scooter wagon combo up as close to Town Hall as she can. “Well Sweets you have fun today?”

“I sure did Scoots, we’ll have to do this again some time.” Sweetie says.

“Anytime your mom will let us, we can Sweets.” Scootaloo says. “Although we do have to start school soon.”

“No matter what happens I’ll be your friend Scoots, I was before… you know, and I still am.”

“I’m just not sure I’m ready for life to just keep going without him, you know what I mean?”

“I can’t say I understand what you’re going through Scoots, I don’t think I know anypony who can, but I’m willing to stand beside you and be here for you when and if you need me.”

Scootaloo smiles. “Thanks Sweets, that makes me feel a lot better.”

“Now come on, we need to get inside, or we’re going to get in trouble, I need to find my sister, hopefully my parents remembered to tell her that she needs to bring me home tonight.”

“I’m sure they did, I’ll meet you by the refreshment table.”

“Sounds good.” Sweetie says as she goes in search of her sister. She finds her sister; Rarity walking in with another mare and a filly about her age. “Hey Rarity!”

“Sweetie Belle.” Rarity says. “Where are mom and dad?”

“Dad had to work, and mom didn’t want to come without him. She said she’d tell you and get you to take me home.”

Rarity sighs. “Fine, find me after the celebration is over, I’ll make sure I don’t leave without you.” With that she walks away.

“Is Rarity your sister?” The filly asks.

“Yeah, my name’s Sweetie Belle, who are you?”

“I’m Apple Bloom, this is mah sister Applejack.”

“Come meet my best friend Scootaloo.” Sweetie encourages.

“Can I Applejack?” Apple Bloom asks.

“I don’t see why not Bloom, just don’t go wandering off, alright?” Applejack answers.

“Okay,” Apple Bloom says before following Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo sees Sweetie walking toward her with another filly and her wings immediately droop thinking she has just lost her one friend in the world. “Hey Scootaloo, I want you to meet this new filly I met, her sister and mine her friends. Her name is Apple Bloom.”

“Hey, I’m Scootaloo.”

“Sweetie Belle says you’re her best friend.” Bloom comments.

Scootaloo sees Sweetie smiles and smiles back. “Yeah, me and Sweets have known each other since we were little foals.”

“Well I live at Sweet Apple Acres with mah brother and sister, so I can’t say as I get to be around fillies my age much.” Apple Bloom says.

“Well you can hang with us tonight, and we’ll see when we can get together again, all right?” Scootaloo suggests.

“That sounds great!.”

“I think the mayor’s talking, it’s almost time.” Sweetie says. They all turn and see Rarity pull the rope and opens the curtain, and are all shocked when Princess Celestia doesn’t appear. However the second Nightmare Moon appears the three of them cower underneath the refreshment table and wait for the inevitable.

===========

Sometime later they hear familiar voices calling for two of them. “Sweetie Belle.“ Rarity calls.

"Apple Bloom where are ya?" Applejack asks.

The three fillies come out from under the table. "We're right here." Apple Bloom announces.

Applejack and Rarity run over and hug their respective sisters. Scootaloo slinks away and grabs her scooter and realizes that the wagon is still attached. ”I'll return the wagon tomorrow.” With that thought she grabs her helmet and puts it on before hopping on her scooter and zipping away.