• Published 29th Aug 2014
  • 1,180 Views, 60 Comments

A New World, Detective Style!!! - Doctor D



What happens when an over the top pokèmon detective with the ego the size of uranus get's suddenly pulled into Equestria along with a lot of pokémon and humans? On top of that he is now a Ditto. Well, hijinxs are a given.

  • ...
5
 60
 1,180

Chapter 3: This is a horrible idea!

“... What?!” Acacia screamed, both shocked and for some reason amazed at the sight she was witnessing.



In her house, her home, around her table was sitting a little pink slime with a cheery grin on it’s face and what looked slightly like a dragon DRIPPING all over her floor. Having tea. Edgar held a cup in both of his nubs and Goomey held a cup between her hands.



Edgar sipped his tea carefully and Goomey blew into hers before doing the same. “Why, hello again!” The Ditto yelled a greeting. “Glad you could make it. I got an extra cup for you, ma’am.”



There really was a third cup ready. But that was largely ignored by Acacia looking at the DRAGON in her home, the sight of which made her scared… and very intrigued, but mostly scared!



“Wh-…ho-…What?!” Acacia managed from the amount of surrealism she was witnessing.



“Goo goodra.” The drippy dragon said, but of course Acacia did not understand a word of it. It was waving though.



“Hm? Not a tea person? I could’ve sworn you were… Oh well, my bad!” Edgar said to fill the silent void.



“... A dragon.” Acacia muttered with a slight twitch in her right eye. “In… My home...”



“AHA!” Edgar quipped. “You are very observant indeed! Not as observant as I, that would be impossible, of course. Yes, my friend here is indeed a Dragon-type, and a fine one at that.”



Acacia glared icicles at the Ditto, who either did not notice or remained oblivious. “You! You brought it here, didn’t you?” She said in an accusing manner.



Edgar frowned, as much as a Ditto can. “But of course I did! How else could she have gotten inside?” He said as if it was obvious. “Oh, by the by, your door really needs a lock. I highly recommend it.”



The twitch in Acacia’s eye got more prominent. “I. Want it. Out.” She said coldly.



Edgar and Goomey shared a look and simultaneously looked at the mare. “Why in good heavens would you want that?”



“Wha- Why wouldn’t I?” Acacia asked, questioning why she even should ask.



“Why, don’t you know tea parties are more fun with company?” Edgar responded cheerfully.



Acacia did not even try to wrap her head around how that made sense in this context. “I am not going to allow that near my kids.” She stated adamantly.



“Goodra?” The dragon asked, sounding a bit excited for reasons Acacia dreaded to imagine.



“By Arceus, woman! Have you looked at little Goomey here?” Edgar said, jumping on the table to point at the CLEARLY not little dragon. “Does she look like she could harm even a butterfly? Look at those eyes.”



Acacia dubiously looked at the big dragon. On a closer inspection it looked… really cute for some reason with those big eyes and easy on the eyes colors… What distracted her from all that was the slime dripping off of it.



… Then something clicked.



“Hold on a minute!” Acacia stomped her hoof down, startling the dragon, funnily enough. She connected the dots. “That is the thing that attacked Cat today!”



“... Well, blast! I thought you’d have forgotten about that.” Edgar admitted, still seeming unusually cheery given the accusation and the tone in which it was delivered.



“How could I? Cat is one of my best friends!” Acacia pointed a hoof at the Goodra “And this thing attacked her!”



“Now, now. You know how unsavory assuming is.” Edgar scolded the grown up mare as if she were a mere child.



Acacia took a breath and swallowed the condescending talk. “Explain. Now. Twenty seconds. Go!” She demanded.



“Well, I followed a trail from the scene of the incident to a shack at the edge of town. There I found this old friend of mine, distraught and frightened. In distress she attempted to find comfort by hugging your friend, but it got seen the wrong way. End of explanation!” Edgar said talking very fast while keeping each word understandable.



Acacia thought about it and it seemed to cover all the bases and seemed logical. “Alright, and how are you sure of this?”



Edgar laughed. “Haha, but I asked my friend here of course. Oh, which reminds me! Miss Acacia, this is Goomey. Say hi to miss Acacia.”



“Goo!” The slime dragon greeted with a wave.



Acacia looked grossly at the dragon, still suspicious but for the love of her could not really find it in her heart to ignore such a cute looking creature. “... Hi.” She said with a small wave of her own.



Goomey, for her part looked ecstatic. “Goodra goo goo dra!”



“She says, “Wow, I’m so glad you don’t hate me!”.” Edgar translated.



“How can you understand that?” Acacia had to ask.



Edgar simply laughed. “Why, because currently both of us are Pokèmon in this dream so of course we can understand each other! It’s common sense.”



Ignoring the part about a dream, something inside Acacia woke up. “A Pokèmon, you say?” She approached the Goodra, completely forgetting her fear and analyzing her head to toe. She cast a translation spell while she was at it.



“Uhh… What is the weird Ponyta doing?” Goomey asked Edgar, only to be answered by Acacia.



“I am taking notes of your physique, size, consistency and any minor details.” She said like a scientist would. “I also wish to know more of these Pokèmon, so this is a good start as any. Also, I am a pony, not what you think I am, though I imagine it is a Pokèmon similar to appearance of pony-folk.”



Goomey ‘ooh’d from amazement. “Wow. Uncle, she sounds smart.”



“That she does. Not as smart as I, but still an impressive array of knowledge this lady seems to possess.” Edgar admitted, remembering how scientific her study looked. “Are you a scientist, by chance?”



“A professor, actually.” Acacia said, lightly touching Goomey’s body to get a feel of it’s slick and slimy texture. She also took slime samples and put them into small jars. “Though I stopped going by that title when I had my children.”



“I like kids!” Goomey quipped with a smile but was ignored.



“Oh, so that is where your researcher’s spirit comes from? You remind me of some friends of mine.” Edgar said, twirling his fake-stache.



“Oh, really- Why do you have stuff on you?” Acacia asked, only now taking note of the Ditto’s new apparel, the little hat, the monocle and the grey mustache.



“Oh, you mean my DASHING apparel?” Edgar said with a dramatic twirl showcasing his clothes.. “Why, a good detective always accessorises to look the part while out on an investigation. ”



Acacia gave him a very flat look. “You rummaged Gizmo’s stash, didn’t you?”



“I most certainly did!” Edgar said without missing a beat. “It was for the sake of the investigation though, so no harm done.”



Acacia decided against ranting on how stealing was bad because she highly doubted Edgar would listen to it. Something more pressing came to her mind. “Whatever. Look, could you and your friend just leave for a time before the kids sho-”



“Mommy, I saw a weird bird at school today...Wow~” Noon Light said from the door.



“Mom, is that a dragon?” Midday Glow asked, staring at Goomey.



The mother of the twins slapped her forehead. This timing was the worst. The twins were immediately by the slime dragon, looking at it with wonder in their big eyes. The Goodra returned the looks with one of utter joy.



“Yay!” Goomey said and instinctually grabbed the kids into a slimy hug, much to the kids surprise, Edgar’s amusement and Acacia’s horror. After a very short huggle fest the two were let go, covered in slime.



“Eww...” Noon Light said and looked disgusted while her sister did not seem to mind.



“Wow! A real dragon!” Midday Glow said in awe.



Acacia groaned and picked up the twins in her telekinetic grasp. Both protested but before a word could be thrown in, Acacia interjected. “You can talk all you want after a bath. Mother has had a rough day and the last thing she needs is two slimy kids walking about.”



Goomey looked as the kids were dragged off to what was most likely the bathroom. Then she looked at Edgar with wide, comically teary eyes. “Moms are scary...” She whimpered.



Edgar laughed and jumped to pet Goomey’s head. “That they are, my dear. That they are.”


After a bath, hours of talking, fawning over the dragon in the house and general childlike behaviour the twins finally tuckered out and could resist the temptation of slumber no longer. Acacia took the two sleeping children to their room and tucked them in.



Apparently the kids had seen some odd looking things while in school, which Edgar said could be other Pokèmon based on the twins descriptions. Taillow, Oddish and Butterfree were amongst a few.



When Acacia returned she addressed the two Pokèmon present.



“Okay, so what happens from now on?” She asked them.



Edgar jumped onto the table again to make his presence more noticeable. “Well, the intention was to ask forgiveness for Goomey’s misunderstood actions today, but it is a bit too late today for that. Tomorrow will have to suffice.”



“I’m really sorry.” The Goodra said remorsefully.



Acacia sighed. She understood the intention and could even respect it, but not the means. “And how, mind you, will you do that?”



“Well simple. We walk to town with you and your translator skill and sort it out!” Edgar proclaimed, very sure of himself. Goomey seemed impressed, clapping with a gleeful smile on her face.



Acacia, not so much. “What? That’s your plan? To just go out there and do it?” She asked not at all certain this was a good course of action.



“In essence, yes. A simple, HEARTFELT apology should suffice to fix any gap, wouldn’t you agree?.” Edgar said.



“...” Acacia was at a loss of words. This plan was so sure to fail. “No, no no nonono. No! It’s not going to work like that!”



“Alright, since you have insight on the subject I will allow you to contribute to my magnificent plan.” Edgar said in a way Acacia had trouble seeing as anything but pride talking.



Still, she took a breath and started tearing the plan to shreds. “Alright, first of all. The mare your friend scared, Scaredy Cat is… well, you should be able to guess by the name, very easily scared. If my estimate is anything she’ll have locked herself in her own house for the next few days.”



“Second, I doubt you’d get your chance. The ponies here, while generally friendly are a tight lot. We look out for each other and everypony liked Cat, more or less. If they figured out your friend here is the cause for her distress, they’d act upon it. Not to mention the added confusion of other creatures that might be about.”



“Third, what you ask of me is impossible. I can cast and maintain a translation spell but only for a few individuals for the span of a twenty-four hours or less. My maximum capacity is four ponies, which is now filled for me and previously my kids. I don’t have enough power to use it on a town full of ponies.”



Edgar stood perfectly still, his silly face more neutral than usual. It seemed like he was actually thinking for once. “We sneak into this Cat’s apartment and apologize there!” He shouted gleefully, breaking the illusion.



The mare just walked into the kitchen and wordlessly whacked her head onto the wall for a good two minutes straight. When she came back her forehead was all bruised. “That...” She tried but lost the words for a moment due to prior head trauma. “How can you be so smart yet go so stupid at a drop of a hat?”



“Why, thank you!”



“That’s not a compliment!” Acacia yelled, quickly putting a hoof on her mouth. The idea of her kids waking up from her shouting just crossed her mind. She took a deep breath and tried to calm down. “Okay… Okay, just give me a moment. Give me until tomorrow, I’ll figure something out.”



“But what if-”



“Stop!” Acacia commanded, looking at the Ditto sternly. “I will think this through because I have knowledge you lack due to not being a native. I have a bigger chance of pulling any of this off than you. This town is my home, this is my friend you talk about. I’ve got this.”



Edgar seemed caught off guard by such a strong interjection. He had to forgotten it until now but the force of will a mother has can be quite immense. Goomey looked at the Ditto who slowly started chuckling.



“Alright, you’ve made your case.” He admitted, tipping his tiny hat to the mare. “My hat goes off to you. That was a good verbal debate. I very much enjoyed that.”



Acacia did not agree. “Just don’t do anything stupid. Now, as for another matter-”



*knock, knock, knock-ity, knock*



Everyone shut up. Acacia spoke in a hushed tone. “Be quiet and hide.” She then walked up to the door. “Who is it?”



“Oh, don’t you recognize the knock meant solely for you, my dear?” A flamboyant male voice said from the other side. Acacia gagged mentally and checked to see if Edgar and Goomey had gone yet. Since she didn’t see them she opened the door and came face to face with a handsome white stallion with a flowing golden blonde mane.



“What do you want, Casanova?” Acacia asked, not even trying to hide her annoyance at this unwanted visit. The stallion just flicked his mane a bit and smiled flirtatiously.



“Can’t a stallion just come see the owner of their heart every so often?” He said with a wink. Acacia tried not to puke.



“Well, I guess that heart is in pieces then.” She answered in disgust. “I’ve told you once and I will tell you again. I refuse to out with you and your two-timing ass. I have kids to take care of, now beat it.”



She tried to close the door but Casanova’s hoof was in the way. “Please, my dear Acacia, can’t you at least give me a chance? I promise I’ll break up with my marefriend.”



“Uh-huh. Which one?” Acacia asked sharply with a mean look in her eyes.



The question seemed to shut him up. “Well… Err...”



Acacia rolled her eyes and forced the door close. “Goodbye, Casanova.”



“Wait, my dearest-” The door slammed shut in his face. Acacia growled at the nerve of that asinine idiot. No matter how many times she drove him off he just came back. Casanova was like a cockroach. A lovemad cockroach who hits on everything female it sees.



She used magic to seal her door shut so he couldn’t get in and started looking for the two Pokèmon. Surprisingly they were very good at hiding, as she saw no trace of them.



No, scratch that. There was a clear trail of slime… going up the stairs…



“... Oh, don’t you dare tell me.” Acacia muttered and followed the slime to… the door to her room. “... They better not have laid an appendage on my bed.”


“We said we were sorry!” Edgar said in his defence. But Acacia was having none of it.



“I don’t know how you managed it, but not only do I need to clean my sheets very thoroughly, but you also ruined a bulk of my research in the matter of minutes. You are lucky I have backups, or I’d dissect both of you!” She said, seething with anger.



The mare, the Pokèmon and the former human all stood outside, behind Acacia’s house. The two did not know why yet, since Acacia was the one who dragged both of them there,



Goomey sniffled and looked at the ground in shame. “I-Im’s sorry…*sniff* I didn’t mean to...” She whimpered weakly, holding back tears. Goomey had always been rather sensitive.



“I too must say that… what transpired might have gotten a bit out of hand. I will take full responsibility, for the idea to hide there was mine.” Edgar said, trying to stand straight and sounding at least a bit remorseful, though his pride stopped him from showing it.



Acacia sighed and kicked the ground by her feet. Immediately a patch of grass behind her house opened up, revealing a secret passage. “I forgive you, but as punishment you two will sleep in the containment cham- I mean basement.” She corrected herself hastily.



Edgar and Goomey, both surprised such a thing even was there peered down the secret hatch. There were stairs leading to darkness, the lights of the day just barely reaching the bottom.



Goomey immediately began to whimper. “I-I don’t wanna go in the dark...”



Edgar frowned and looked at their host. “Come on now, don’t you think this is a wee bit extreme?”



“Nope.” Acacia said flatly. “You messed up my room, you pay for it. I’ll let you out first thing in the morning and expect you to learn your lesson.”



“But-” Edgar tried to object.



“Get in the hole!” Acacia ordered, pointing at the black chasm.



Edgar knew he could not win this argument, but that was the biggest thing in his mind. He looked at the horrified looking Goodra gazing into the “basement”. He knew very well Goomey was scared of the dark.



He poked the slime dragon’s leg to get her attention and offered his nub arm for moral support. Sniffing lightly the dragon grabbed the nub and pulled the Ditto into a hug, searching for comfort and courage from him.



“Don’t worry, dear. Uncle Edgar will protect you from the shadows!” The Ditto Detective proclaimed words of encouragement. They seemed to work as Goomey tried to put on a brave face and slowly descended down into the “basement”, carrying Edgar with her, holding him close to her chest.



When at the bottom they turned to look up as Acacia who was looking down at them. “Believe me, I take no pleasure in this. I know it’s scary, but you did nearly ruin some of my life’s work.” She told them, sounding really sincere. She grabbed the hatch to close it. “Have a good night, you two.”



The hatch started closing as all light begun to fade, but then it came open again. “Oh yeah, if you feel like you’re being watched, ignore it. It’s just your imagination and nothing else. Night!” Acacia said and closed the hatch, leaving the pair in complete darkness.



It did not take long for Goomey’s courage to falter. Her whole body began to shiver as she sat down on the ground. Edgar the darkness did not bother, but he was really worried for her.



“Come now, my dear Goomey! Do not give in the the oppression of the dark! As a wise man once said, there is nothing to fear but fear itself!” Edgar said, filling his words with nearly infectious courage and bravery. Or foolhardy stupidity.



“... Who said t-that?” Goomey asked, nestling the Ditto in her arms. Then he laughed merrily.



“Why, ‘tis I! For none is wiser than Edgar Holmes!” He proclaimed with a booming yet squeky voice. “And as Arceus as my witness, I will not allow any harm come to you, be it from dark or otherwise! This I swear on my honor!”



This seemed to work a little as Goomey giggled just a little and hugged and nuzzled him. “Thanks, Uncle.”



“It is my pleasure, dearie.” Edgar said, glad he could make his friend feel better.



Goomey lied down on the ground and tried to get comfortable, though she was still very tense. Fear of the dark was not so easily bested. Time passed as both tried to get used to the dark, but there simply was no light source to provide any.



But suddenly a flash of light entered the room, making Goomey shield her eyes as it vanished as fast as it had appeared. Then she felt an hand on her shoulder, which freaked her out but seized as she then felt a warm protective embrace.



“Sleep tight.” Edgar’s voice said. “I will watch over you.”



Overcome by a feeling of safety, Goomey relaxed and allowed herself to sleep. But before she could, they both heard something very interesting in their heads.



“Greetings citizens of Equus, both old and new. I am Lord Arceus, creator of the Pokémon realm. You have no reason to fear me, I come in peace.”


Watson’s Journal

Entry. 3

Visited that area Pangoro told me about and… Well, let’s just say my theory of this no longer being earth holds water. There was a town populated by a species that shared similarities with a Ponyta, but I am not stupid enough to not recognize that they are not Pokèmon.

The place, I didn’t ask for the name, was in panic. I learned later it was due to the Pokèmon suddenly appearing all over. It seems me and that Pangoro are not an isolated case, but this seems like a mass migration. The Pokèmon were as confused, some even frightened, but I was able to smooth things over with both sides.

Being psychic has it’s perks.

It seems a lot of pokemon were transported here. I was approached by an Abomasnow that claimed to be Professor Rowan. I knew the name well, another of Edgar’s numerous friends across the world and a famous Pokèmon researcher from Sinnoh. I was a little dubious at first, but he seemed to know me.

No doubt it’s that idiot telling his mind numbing stories again.

I am not fully certain if he is telling the truth, but for now he has asked to accompany me. Apparently he wants to meet Edgar. I didn’t say no. Arceus knows I need help looking for that damned detective.

Speaking of which. I, and most likely every living thing on this planet, got an interesting mental transmission today, apparently from the great Arceus himself. He explained what had transpired, what he had done and, while his wording of the situation was horrible and will cause mass hysteria, confirm to me that that fat idiot must be around, somewhere.

I will have a chance to talk with “Rowan” now, so maybe we can trade information.

Entry.2, End~☆

Ps: When/if you ever meet Arceus, punch him in the goddamn face!!!

Author's Note:

"No, you don't understand. EDGAR IS THE ONE IN THE HOLE."
- Ryan Haywood, Achievement Hunter.

I like to Iimagine that if Edgar and Pinkie Pie ever met, the two not only would get along strappingly, but would totally get each other. And Acacia is showing some really bad vibes. But hey, mothers, am I right?
Oh, and Arceus called, he wants his full dialog back. "It's too long! Read the original A New World, A New Way to see it! Support the offiicial release!"

And our good friend Watson meets up with a familiar face... name. You get it.