• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 733 Views, 15 Comments

Lost and Found - Lance Skyes



A non-canon story within the universe of "A New World, A New Way". When Dinky and her Clefairy go investigating in the Ponyville Cemetery, they find that they've bitten off far more than they can chew...

  • ...
2
 15
 733

Chapter 1: The Graveyard

Dinky's little filly hooves made a quiet but constant clop clop clop noise as she slowly plodded down the hard-packed dirt path. The new moon made it difficult to see the path, but she was able to light the way with the help of her own magic. And failing that, her friend had some odd power that let her light the way whenever Dinky got tired.

"Clefairy," the tiny pink fairy chirped with a smile on its face as it bounced along the path next to Dinky.

"We're almost there, Clefairy," Dinky said to her friend. "Or do you want me to light the way for a little while?”

Dinky had met her Pokemon not too long ago after seeing the Cutie Mark Crusaders with their Pokemon at the pony-Pokemon meeting party Pinkie Pie threw a few months back. Clefairy was just bouncing around the schoolyard when Dinky found it. Nopony else had seen the Pokemon, and even so, Clefairy had seemed kind of fixated on Dinky. Dinky had heard a lot of ponies had had random Pokemon become attached to them not too long after Arceus brought them all to Equestria, so Dinky didn't think much of it. Clefairy was just another friend Dinky made, only this one was like a soul mate, and she met Clefairy without any effort at all.

By Clefairy's light, she and Dinky continued the rest of the way before they found themselves at the gate to Ponyville Cemetery. Dinky had heard rumors of some “odder” Pokemon hanging around there, so with Clefairy by her side, she couldn't help not investigate.

“Fairy...” Clefairy said uncertainly as she hid behind Dinky and hugged her friend tightly.

“Don't worry Clefairy,” Dinky said with a smile. “Nothing bad is going to happen.”

“Fair fairy?” Clefairy asked.

“I promise,” Dinky replied, assuming Clefairy had just asked something like 'Are you sure?'

“Fair... Clefairy!” the Pokemon chirped, now reassured. The two then made their way into the cemetery, not realizing that they were being watched by a ghostly goblin-like creature.

“Gengar...” the creature growled with a devious smile. It then slowly faded into the ground.

“Ghastly!”

“Misdreavus...”

“Litwik, Litwik!”

The cries of Ghost-type Pokemon quickly replaced the silence that Dinky and Clefairy were walking through previously. Fortunately for the two, none of them were bothering the two explorers.

“This place is creepy,” Dinky commented as she looked around at the Ghost-types, many of them quickly disappearing once they realized Dinky was looking at them.

“Clefairy...?” the little Pokemon asked, a little unsure when she heard her friend's tone of voice.

“Don't worry, Clefairy,” Dinky reassured once again. “I'm not scared. But are you scared?” Dinky added teasingly.

“Fair-ry!” Clefairy said angrily, puffing herself up to make herself seem a little larger.

“I know you're not,” Dinky said with a smile. “Come on, there's still some more I wanna check-” Dinky stopped dead when she felt something beneath her hooves. She looked down to see her hoof in some odd purple... goop, for lack of a better word. “Eww...” Dinky said as she brought her hoof out and shook it off. “Careful, Clefairy. One of those Ghost-types must have dumped this stuff.”

“Fairy,” Clefairy replied, hopping over the puddle.

Dinky walked around the puddle as best she could before following Clefairy further down the path. “That stuff smells awful, too,” Dinky commented as the two continued.

“Muuuuuuuuuuuuuk,” the puddle moaned as it retreated behind a nearby grave.

Dinky and Clefairy walked just a little further before they came across something odd in the path. A random gravestone. In the middle of the path.

“Fairy?” Clefairy asked in confusion as she looked over at Dinky.

“I dunno,” Dinky replied. “I understand this is a graveyard, but why would a gravestone be in the middle of the path like this?”

“Clef-clefairy,” Clefairy replied with a shrug.

With her Pokemon providing no answers, Dinky decided to move forward to take a closer look at the gravestone. Using her magic, she brought light to the grave so she could inspect it.

“'Here lies...,'” Dinky read. “'Here lies...' I can't read the last part of this. It looks... scratched out.” She then looked back at Clefairy, who once again shrugged. Dinky looked back at the grave, but found no clues other than 'Here lies...' “I wonder what-”

”You're here... I'm lonely.”

Dinky screamed and leapt backwards as she heard the loud but creepy voice come from the tombstone.

“Fairy, fairy!” Clefairy shouted as she clung to Dinky out of fear.

”So very lonely...” the voice continued. ”Won't you join me?”

Right as the voice said this, a loud crack was heard right in front of the grave. Dinky shone a light at the source of the noise to find what looked like a hand sticking up out of the ground. The hand was huge, really old, obviously decayed since it was in a grave, and, above all, the hand was white. Pure pale white. Even the dirt that the hand broke through quickly slid off as though some kind of magic was repelling it. But that wasn't what terrified Dinky. What terrified her was that she could finally read the rest of what the tombstone said. Just barely, but once she focused her light magic on the words, all the blood drained from her face.

Here lies Dinky Hooves.

“I think this is the part where we run away,” Dinky said to Clefairy.

“Clefairy,” the Pokemon replied quickly. The two then began running back down the path away from the grave. However, they skidded to a stop when two terrifying figures suddenly appeared before them, blocking the path completely.

“Gengar!” the figure on the left roared.

“Muuuuk!” the figure on the right roared.

“Ahh!” Dinky shouted.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy screamed while clinging to Dinky.

”I've waited too long for this...” the voice from before moaned. ”You two aren't getting away that easily.” Dinky and Clefairy turned around to see that more of the arm from before had broken through the ground and was swinging wildly.

“Clefairy, Clefairy,” Clefairy suddenly said to Dinky.

“What was that?” Dinky asked.

“Fairy, Clefairy,” Clefairy said while making punching motions.

“You want to try to fight them?” Dinky asked. “But-”

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted as she gestured back towards the grave, out of which a second arm had broken through. She then looked back towards the Gengar and Muk with a determined expression.

“Okay then,” Dinky said. She had overheard a little bit about Pokemon battles from some of Princess Twilight's friends, but she never expected to ever be in one herself. Nor did she really want Clefairy to battle. She just looked so... fragile. Unfortunately, there was no running from this battle.

“Gengar!” the Gengar shouted as it summoned a ball of shadow and fired it at Clefairy.

“Fairy!” Clefairy shouted as she started glowing. Then, all of a sudden, Clefairy shrank to about a fourth of her original size, causing the Gengar's Shadow Ball attack to sail right over her head.

“Woah!” Dinky shouted as she dived out of the way of the Shadow Ball. “I'm still here, Clefairy!”

“Fairy...” Clefairy apologized as she returned to her original size. She then turned to the two Pokemon before her. Her right hand then began glowing with a bright silver light as she focused her gaze on the Gengar. “Clefairy!” she shouted as she rocketed forward towards the Gengar at an almost blinding speed, hitting it right in the chest and sending it flying backwards with its Meteor Mash attack. As well as hitting Gengar, a faint red light started rising through Clefairy's body, signaling an increase in its Attack stat, but that light faded after a couple seconds.

“All right, Clefairy!” Dinky cheered. However, another crack! from behind her halted her celebrations. She quickly looked behind her to see that out of the grave behind her, the upper half of a body was now visible. It was well decayed and looked mostly like a human skeleton. The majority of it was brown like the dirt, except for the hands, both of which were white.

”Won't you join me?” the voice asked once again while reaching towards Dinky, who was actually several feet out of the creature's reach.

“Clefairy, I think we need to hurry up,” Dinky said as she turned back to her friend.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted in reply. However, this distracted her for just a second, just long enough for the Muk to use its arm to slam Clefairy with Poison Tail, sending the little one flying.

“Oh no!” Dinky shouted as she rushed to catch Clefairy. Fortunately, she managed to catch the Pokemon.

“Are you alright?” Dinky asked.

“Fairy,” Clefairy replied with a nod. She then rose from Dinky's hooves looked back at the Muk and the Gengar that was just now rejoining its companion.

“Clefairy,” Dinky said, “do you think you have an attack that can hit both of them?”

“Clefairy,” the Pokemon replied, but there was a light tone of unsureness in this reply. Clefairy closed her eyes for a moment and began glowing with a light pink color, just lighter than her body. All of a sudden, Clefairy let loose a blast of blinding light at her two opponents. The two seemed hurt, but not by much.

In response to this failed attack, Muk and Gengar moved a little closer together and started charging some type of energy. A foul-smelling energy at that. Before long, both of them opened their mouths and fired two balls of what could only be assumed to be balls of purple highly-toxic sludge.

“Look out, Clefairy!” Dinky shouted.

“Fairy!” Clefairy shouted in response before raising her arms and putting up what looked like a wall of bright light. Fortunately, Clefairy's Light Screen was able to block the two Sludge Bombs for the most part, so Clefairy didn't take much damage from these attacks.

”You two are useless,” the voice from the grave said. ”I'll do this myself.” Dinky turned around to see that the creature was mostly out of the ground now, but it didn't try to get much further. Instead, it raised one of its hands into the air, where it started glowing brightly before detaching itself from the creature. The hand then began flying towards Clefairy while growing until it was just larger than Dinky.

“Oh no you don't!” Dinky shouted as she galloped forward towards the White Hand. “I won't let you hurt Clefairy!”

”Fool,” was all the creature said before its hand swatted Dinky away, causing her to fly right through a random passing Ghastly and into another tombstone.

Dinky got up slowly and coughed a little from inhaling some of the gases that comprised the Ghastly she flew through, but she didn't let that nor her injuries stop her. She galloped forward a second time, this time seeing that the White Hand was right on top of Clefairy, who had just then turned around to see the giant floating hand above it.

“Fairy...” Clefairy said, her voice dripping with terror.

“No!” Dinky shouted as she leapt forward and tackled the White Hand away from Clefairy. “Clefairy, we need to get out of-”

Dinky was cut off when the White Hand flew over and gave her a solid punch that sent her flying yet again.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted. She then turned back to the White Hand and hit it with the strongest Meteor Mash she could muster, actually seeming to deal some significant damage to it. Clefairy then tried running towards where Dinky was, but she was stopped when Gengar appeared from the ground in front of her.

“Gar...” the Gengar growled with its normal mischievous smile.

“Fairy,” Clefairy growled in reply. It then raised its hand to its face and started waggling its finger, causing the finger to start glowing. With a flash of light, Clefairy lowered her finger, her eyes started glowing blue, and she materialized a multitude of small particles of psychic power around Gengar's head.

“Gen...” Gengar said with a tone of fear in its voice.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted as it launched the Psyshock attack at Gengar, striking it from several directions and causing it to crash to the ground. Clefairy then bounced off towards where Dinky was laying.

“Clefairy...” Dinky said as her Pokemon made it to her side and hugged her. “I'm alright, but we still need to run.”

“Fairy,” Clefairy replied with a nod. She helped Dinky back to her hooves and the two began running, but not before Dinky suddenly felt herself be lifted off the ground. She looked up to find that it was the White Hand that was carrying her off.

“Clefairy, help!” Dinky shouted as she struggled to break free of White Hand's grasp.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted as she quickly turned around and chased Dinky.

”I was hoping to have a Fairy-type for dinner,” Buried Alive said as he carried Dinky towards him. ”But perhaps one of you 'ponies' will suffice.”

“No, you can't eat me!” Dinky shouted. “I, uh, taste really bad. Like a Poison-type!”

”I like Poison-types,” Dinky heard Buried Alive say.

“Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted as it used Metronome once more while it chased Dinky. With a flash of light, Clefairy suddenly started becoming coated in flames. Clefairy panicked for a moment before she realized that Metronome has activated Overheat. With a shout, Clefairy focused the flames outward towards the wrist of the White Hand, burning it and causing it to drop Dinky. Without wasting a minute, Dinky quickly got up and started galloping towards Clefairy.

“Clefairy, please tell me that out of all the moves you know, you have one that can get us out of here!” Dinky shouted.

“Fairy,” Clefairy sadly replied as she shook her head.

”That's it,” Buried Alive said. It then rose its other arm and sent out its other White Hand after Dinky and Clefairy, both of whom found themselves woefully outmatched by the two White Hands, as well as the Gengar and Muk who were still advancing.

“I don't think we're gonna get out of this one, Clefairy,” Dinky said as the two backed away, only to find themselves up against the wall of the cemetery.

“Clefairy...” Clefairy said worriedly.

“I'm sorry, Clefairy,” Dinky said as she hugged Clefairy. “I never meant for this to happen.”

Right as Dinky said this, both the White Hands rushed forward to grab the pony and the Pokemon. However, they were stopped suddenly by two Shadow Ball attacks that came from behind Dinky and Clefairy. “What was-?”

“Zoroark!” a mysterious voice growled/shouted as what looked like another Pokemon landed in front of Dinky and Clefairy. It was mostly black with red hair, fox-like in appearance, and about as tall as any ordinary stallion. It glanced backwards and nodded at the two behind him before turning back towards the White Hands, Gengar, and Muk, all of whom were starting to back away.

“What is that thing?” Dinky asked.

“Zoroark!” the Zoroark roared once again before charging forward towards the assailants. It then leapt into the air before quickly using Dig right in front of the four. Zoroark wasn't gone for long before the ground just in front of the Muk exploded upwards with Zoroark giving it a powerful slash that knocked the Sludge Pokemon backwards. Then, while in midair, its claws began glowing with darkness (however that's possible) before giving the Gengar a powerful Night Slash, knocking the Shadow Pokemon backwards. It then turned to the White Hands and let out a powerful Snarl that didn't seem to damage the two much, but caused them to retreat momentarily. Zoroark then ran back towards Dinky and Clefairy.

“Thank y-” Dinky started, but she was cut off when Zoroark quickly picked the two up and started running out of the cemetery. The Illusion Fox wasn't running for long, however, before it got knocked to the ground by a powerful Fist attack from one of the White Hands, causing him to let go of Dinky and Clefairy and send them flying forward.

“Ahh!”

“Clefairy!”

Both of them hit the ground hard. Clefairy, like most other Pokemon, was built to take the amount of punishment she had taken. Dinky, on the other hoof, wasn't. Her injuries had already been great, and now she was in so much pain she could barely move.

“Clefairy, Clefairy!” Clefairy shouted as it ran over towards Dinky.

“Run, Clefairy,” Dinky said quietly, her pain keeping her from speaking very loudly. “I can't move any more.”

Clefairy was about to try to get her friend to get up, but she looked back to see the Zoroark who tried to save them become quickly pinned by Buried Alive's Muk. The Fairy Pokemon knew that in Dinky's state, her only hope was that Zoroark. It took little more than a second longer for Clefairy to make up her mind.

“Clefairy,” the Pokemon said to Dinky while hugging her tightly with tears in her eyes. “Clefairy fairy.”

“Clefairy, what are you doing?” Dinky asked as Clefairy got up and ran towards the Muk, getting ready to hit it with another Meteor Mash. With a bright flash of light, Clefairy flew forward and struck the Muk with all her might, causing it to retreat off the Zoroark. Clefairy's eyes and hands then began glowing yellow before firing a small ball of yellow light towards the Muk. She then ran off in the opposite direction, hitting Gengar and the White Hands with Follow Me as well, causing all four of them to quickly give chase.

“Clefairy!” Dinky tried to shout as her best friend ran off out of her sight. “Clefairy, wait!” But she didn't have long to scream before the Zoroark got up, grabbed Dinky, and started running again. Dinky tried to get the Zoroark to stop, but the jostling caused by its running just added to the pain Dinky was in. It wouldn't be too much longer before Dinky blacked out, the last things she remembered being a high-pitched scream that she could only assume to be Clefairy's and three terrifying words.

”Finally... fresh meat...”

And then the world around Clefairy went completely dark.

Author's Note:

Consider this my parting gift for you all. Though summer may be over, my creativity will continue to flow as much as it can. Plus, I've been having some more writer's block, so I thought maybe a new story would help with that. Didn't put as much effort into this as I probably should have, but oh well.