• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 726 Views, 7 Comments

P.V Noire - jahnaids



Twilight investigates a few murders that she suspects might be connected to her.

  • ...
 7
 726

Part 1 - Murders


I know that I suck at writing.
So here’s my first time at writing something suspenseful.
If anything, feel free to give me some tips...
*hides in shame.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ponyville Noire

I suppose a proper way to start this is as if it were a Noir film or novel. It was a day like any other day...But I suppose that today was going to be completely different as this day would mark the beginning of a mystery that would confound every pony out there. The events that are to take place may as well be some of the most traumatizing times of my life.

My name is Twilight Sparkle. I’m a Unicorn who resides inside a small town called Ponyville. As a student of Princess Celestia, I was sent here to study the magic of friendship. In my travels, I have learned many different things. Ranging from meeting new people, gossip, lying and so on. I own a library with books that range from adventure book series to books about philosophy. I reside in this library with a baby purple dragon named Spike. He has proven time and time again that he will always be my Best Friend. And he has given me so much knowledge about the Magic of Friendship.

At the same time, also residing in this town are five other ponies that have time and time again proven to me and shown me what friendship really is. Starting off is the all happy and smiling bubbly pink, cotton candy coloured Pinkie Pie. She represents laughter inside of a friendship. I suppose she could double as representing Joy. But sometimes she could be a bit too happy, being ignorant to the people around her. Then there is the strong and honest orange coated, blonde maned pony of Sweet Apple Acres, AppleJack. She represents honesty, showing that lies would only end up destroying a friendship, and that the truth about everything must be sought by hard work. Granted, she could be a bit stubborn like a donkey. There is also the white coated, purple maned Rarity, who is a bit of a drama queen, but still, she represents generosity. She would always lay herself down for the happiness of her friends. Then is the timid but kind yellow coated, pink maned Fluttershy. Representing Kindness, she treats everyone equally and would do anything for them. As her name implies, she’s very timid, but provoke her the wrong way, she has this growing wrath in her. I sometimes worry for her. And lastly, there is the lovable cyan coated rainbow maned racer Rainbowdash. She represents loyalty, never giving up her friends for her own selfish desires...granted, some rumors of a Rainbow Factory could change that. But I look past that, she is very responsible.

But my studies aside, today began the series of many murders inside PonyVille. The first to come was a unicorn named Medicina. She was a nurse and was roughly a bit older than me, and was found in a trash can near the library. Many ponies began to gather round as the body was taken to the Ponyville Hospital. The autopsy given was as follows: Her head was impaled by something. Her horn was sliced off. Her limbs were dismembered as her head remained intact with a look of fear on her. Her stomach was cut open and various vital organs were missing. She already begun to decompose, but her death was uncovered to be at least only a single day ago. I have to hurry up and look at the body myself, before it is completely gone.

I was a huge fan of mystery novels, and there was one specific thing upon seeing the crime scene that really made me cringe. So I decided to take up the case myself, I felt that the authorities were too slow to do anything. I began by heading down to the hospital myself, I needed to see if there was anything that could lead to something about the killers whereabouts.

I headed for the hospital, and got a chance to look at the body. it look alot more disgusting than what the autopsy said. The murder didn’t look natural, many murders would probably include a simple stab, but other than that, this time, the corpse was already rotting and smelt really really bad.

I looked at the body, a nurse told me that the maggots that were eating away at the corpse was gone.

I was shocked, I think I almost vomited.

After a closer inspection, this is what I’ve found out:

There was no struggle between the killer and the victim. The body wasn’t decomposed enough so I was able to make a few notes. There were no bruises.

Further inspection show that she was drugged before she was killed.

Her Horn was sliced off.

Her Heart and Lungs were missing.

Other than that, there was nothing to be said.

I decided to head over to where the body was found. It was in a garbage can near the library in an alleyway. Other than that, nothing really would make anyone look here. It blended in too well, making it the perfect place for it to dump a body. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. And no clues were left here. The only thing that I really found here was a syringe. I looked at it, and implied that it had the drug that was administered to the victim. The alleyway was dark, no authorities were here. Only a few tags as to labeling what went where. In the end, nothing really showed. The only thing other thing I saw was the wall smeared with bloody writing. It seemed directed towards me. That’s why I wanted to take up this case. “...Sweet Celestia...”

Magic is the key.

“...Magic is the key? Huh...?” I muttered to myself.
Meanwhile, a floating Rainbowdash saw me near this wall. She flew over.
“Hey Twi, whats...up?”
She immediately looked at the wall and instantly looked at me and slowly backed away.
“Bad timing?”
“No no! Not at all!”

I explained the situation. “Alright, what do you know so far?” asked Rainbowdash.
“The only thing that I know right now is that the Victim was drugged and then killed with some sort of blade. Dull, but sharp enough to go through someone’s head. And now we have this writing, Magic is the Key, what could it mean?”

I talked with Rainbowdash a bit more, and then we decided to head off and have a few drinks together. I didn’t think much about it after that day, I think I had too much to drink.

The next few weeks had turned into a series of murders. Each one on a Wednesday morning.
I was suprised at the second murder. A similar fashion was used to kill the first, the second, the third, and fourth victim. I knew this wasn’t the end. I got back to my senses after the first two murders and my guest bedroom became a place of articles, clues, connections, and ideas. I don’t think anyone would be sleeping over anytime soon. Soon to say I was all organized, and all I laid down all the facts.
The only ones targeted so far were two pegasi, one unicorn, and one Earth pony. Four deaths in total.

The information that I got from this was laid out before me.

-For all the victims, both pegasi had their wings sliced off, the unicorn had his horn chopped off as well, and the earth pony was simply dismembered in many different ways. Each of them had their hearts and lungs cut out.

-None of the victims had any connections. I looked over any data and history of anything out there. They had no relations, whether it be friends, family, and so on.

-Victim 1 was a nurse in the Ponyville hospital. Victim 2 was a botanist. Victim 3 was in charge of a food stand. And Victim 4 was in a weather manager. None of them knew each other.

-The ponies were all killed by some sharp object to the forehead.
-Every crime scene had bloody writing. References to the elements of harmony. What could it mean?
“Magic is the Key” “Loyalty the fee” “Honesty the lie” “Kindness MUST die”

I was confused. What could possibly be the motive for this killer? Who was it? Why were the organs taken? I had no starting point, I couldn’t expand on what I had. This killer knew what he was doing. All he or she left was a syringe, which I implied had the drug in it. I took it out and examined it. I didn’t recognize it. At all. I decided to go and ask Zecora. If anything, she might be able to tell me what this drug is and where I could possibly find it.

I found myself with Zecora as I gave her the little traces of what I had. She told me it would take her a little while. Meanwhile, I contemplated on what the messages in blood meant. Did it mean the Elements of Harmony? I mean, that possibly was the closest thought I had. I talked to Zecora again.

“It is something that I had not seen in many years.”
“Wait, what do you mean you haven’t-” I was suddenly cut off.
“Where did you get this?” she demanded
“Well there have been these murders in Ponyville, and it seems that this was a drug given to each of the victims”
“This potion is made from some of the rarest herbs. And some of the most hazardous and poisonous herbs. Nopony has ever lived upon having their hooves touching it. At least, nopony has lived beyond a week. From what I see, it is natural, nopony could ever get their hooves on this.”
“Then..how...?”
How could the killer have so much for 4 ponies? And if it really were the elements of harmony that were trying to be contacted...he or she would have two more doses...?
We suddenly heard a blood curling scream outside of Zecora’s home.

Zecora and I rushed outside to the source of the scream. I felt something hit me. The Evergreen forest all of a sudden twisted. I stopped right then and there.

“Twilight, are you okay?” Zecora was looking at me. But I couldn’t focus. everything seemed to blur and slur around.
“I...I...Ho..” I blacked out.

I woke up inside of a hospital. How did I get here? Where was Zecora? ….Zecora...
“Zecora!” I sprung out of bed.
Suddenly, two unicorns in suits came forward. One of them had a red mane and a brown coat where the other had a navy blue mane and a black coat.
“Ms. Sparkle, I need you to sit down, we need to ask you some questions.” said the Blue maned one.
“It seems that you were about to be murdered by this...Zecora pony...is she a pony?” Said the red maned one
“No you twat, shes a zebra. You know what they’re capable of. Especially with the ego that this one has especially.” Responded the blue maned one.
“What’s this about me being murdered?” I interrupted their bickering.
“Oh yes, you were in the Evergreen forest, what the other detectives were discovering was that you were travelling in the forest, and heard a scream. You went over to investigate and it seems that you witnessed the brutal murder of this pony, Zecora then used a second dose of the drug on you. Thus explaining the syringe that was on you when we found you. We had an anonymous tip and we caught Zecora standing over you before she started doing anything. However, we were too late for the first pony on the site.”
“That is the stupidest thing I have possibly heard.” I replied.
“What?” They looked at me with disbelief. “Do you have anything to say? I mean, that IS why we came down to speak with you today anyway.”
“I was there. I took a syringe containing a bit of the drug from the first crime scene. Zecora specializes in potions, I went to her to-” I was cut off. Celestia, I hate that.
“Ms Sparkle, you realize that stealing evidence from a crime scene is a crime in itself. Just let the authorities handle this.” The red maned said to me. I wanted to kick him in the face.
“You don’t understand! You all are too slow! What have you gotten in a span of four, now five deaths!?” I was about to scream.
“......” They just stood there in silence.
“Exactly. That’s why I took up the case. You need to release Zecora. She’s innocent. I am the witness.”
“Does that mean you saw the killer?” The Blue maned one asked.
“No! I meant as in whether or not Zecora is innocent or not. I was at her house asking about the drug and she said it was something really really-” They cut me off. AGAIN.
“You see, it is a drug that is gotten off the Pony Black Market. It’s made from Potassium Cyanide, and the doses given were very small. Around four to eight ounces, knocking the victims out, giving Zecora enough time to kill her victims brutally before they die of cardiac arrest.”
“B-But-” I stammered
The two stallions came forward with papers, I looked them over. They all had data regarding certain purchases and what the drug contained. All of it made sense, I guess technology pretty much beats knowledge at this point.
“So you see Ms Sparkle, we need you to stop and let the Authorities handle this. We may have little to no leads as of right now, but we’re still making more progress than usual.”
Suddenly I thought aloud. “Who was this tip from? The one that said where I was and where the victim was?”
“As we said Ms Sparkle, it was anonymously given. It was from an unregistered line, so we can’t trace it. But thanks to him or her, we were able to save your life. So be happy about that. Now if you’ll excuse us, stay in bed a day longer, get the toxins out of your body.”
I sat there. How could Zecora become the killer? And if this was another hit, was there any mention of the Elements of Harmony?
“Wait! Before you leave, was there any message in blood?” I quickly asked.
They turned back and shrugged. It seemed that they didn’t know what I was talking about. What could this mean? I sat in my bed and I told myself I couldn’t pull away from this case. At least. Not now.

I spent the day in the hospital reading and putting certain pieces together. Once the hospital discharged me, I went back to the Evergreen forest and went to the scene of the crime. It seemed that the same method was used to kill pony this time. It was an Unicorn. The identity didn’t matter as of right now. If anything, it could be another random pony that has no relation with anyone else. Right now I needed to find things. Especially those that involved proving Zecora’s innocence.

Police Ponies were at the scene. The body removed, probably to the hospital once more. I saw outlines of hoof prints. In a sense, I thought about it. Why was this pony here in the first place? ...I stood there, it was a weird thought. Why was this murder done out here? More so, if the drug was used, doesn’t that mean there shouldn’t have been a scream? I pondered on the possibility of the victim waking up before she was murdered. Maybe this killer knew who I was, most likely because of the Elements of Harmony...Or that he was a stalker and he knew I worked at the Ponyville Library. There was no syringe lying on the ground this time, I checked thoroughly. I asked some officers as to what was found, they gave me a note. For some reason, these police ponies weren’t saying anything about my presence. Heck, that has happened for the past murder that I investigated. They knew that I was Princess Celestia’s student, and they thought that I could help out. Shit! Why was I so dense? I knew something about those two detective stallions were off. Why were they telling me that I’m not able to help?

It doesn’t matter right now. I simply decided to continue with my investigation. The note was nothing but a love letter to the Victim. Something like “For 3 long years I’ve waited, come here and let me make your dreams come true xoxo”

I looked at it and just snorted, the victim was an idiot. It reminds me of those stupid horror films that Rainbowdash obsessed over at some point, how the victim would be so stupid and gullible. But it didn’t matter to me, I gave the note back, it had nothing of interest to me. And here I thought unicorns were among the smartest of the ponies. Anyway, I turned away and I slowly thought. Maybe the killer actually did know his or her victims. Seeing that the victim today was a female, and this handwriting looks like it’s from a male, I have to imply that it’s a male pony.

I looked at the hoofprints that were on the grounds. I decided to stand in the last pair before they disappeared. I looked ahead, and I saw it. This unicorn came into the forest and saw this and get ambushed by the killer. I looked ahead and saw a bloody message parched onto many different trees. It was all about perspective here, and this message was another reference.

“Generosity is in vain”

I told the police ponies to investigate, but they all had investigated this message already. Something was seriously wrong here, especially after those two detective stallions back in the hospital. I wrote this down in my note pad. This killer had tons and tons of amounts of the drug, which wasn’t natural. And it made another reference to the elements. Only one more death and perhaps this series of deaths would be over.

Maybe it would involve my friends and I.

I was done investigating this crime scene, along with the other 4 scenes, this one had nothing of value. I went over to Zecora’s home. Maybe I could find something here that could help prove her innocence. She was my friend of course, I had this obligation to help her. I went to her home and the door was open. I supposed that it was because Zecora and I rushed out. And then when the police came out, they took her away.

How wrong I was.

I entered her home and was startled by the scene. There was blood everywhere and a cauldron with body floating inside of it. I took it out and found a dismembered Zecora with a hole in her head and a cut inside of her chest. Her heart and lungs were taken out as well. It seemed that she died two days ago, about when I was tranquilized. Whoever was doing this was playing with me. She wasn’t framed at all! She was dead, floating in her boiling cauldron since the minute I was tranquilized. I looked up, one last message was sprawled on the masks that were hanging on the wall.

“Laughter is your pain”

I suddenly heard to door open quickly. I saw nothing but a light. And then I blacked out.