• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 722 Views, 9 Comments

The Farmer and his Flower - Absolom



A medium length romance story about Big Macintosh and Fluttershy, that follows them along the roads of kindness, confidence and affection. But will they truly be able to find love given their completely different lives and backgrounds? Who knows.

  • ...
13
 9
 722

3.14 is good

CHAPTER 5. June 7th/02/4:22 PM/3rd person.


After a few more seconds the pair separated and stood speechless for a few moments before Fluttershy spoke up. "I feel kind of guilty...." she said, surprisingly not having a large blush across her face.

"Why's that?" he asked curiously.

"…Because, I wasn't exactly uncomfortable when I did that," she said as she began blushing furiously mid-sentence.

Big Mac didn't exactly know how to respond. Luckily, he didn't have to, because shortly after Fluttershy said that there was a yell from the house. "Way ta go Macintosh! Now go in fer the kiss!" he heard an all too familiar woman's voice echo through his eardrums.

He then face-palmed and called back. "It ain't like that Granny!" he said louder than he had said anything for days.

"It sure does look that way!" she called back quickly. He decided not to call back as he knew all too well that he wasn't going to get anywhere arguing with his grandmother.

"Ah'm sorry about her, she hasn't been on her meds recently," he said jokingly.

She laughed lightly for a few seconds before she responded. "It's ok, I think she's funnier this way," she said in response.

"No doubt, but she also says whatever jus' happens ta be floatin' around her head," he said plainly and continued. "An' sometimes, it ain't somethin' people wanna hear," he said and got another call from Granny Smith.

"Big Macintosh, Ah know y'all heard me!" Granny Smith called from the house.

"Eeyup!" he called back simply and waited for her response.

"Ah'm gonna whup y'all when yer girlfriend leaves!" she called back loudly.

"Alright," he called back, dialing the volume of his voice down slightly; he stopped hearing responses from Granny Smith after that.

Fluttershy laughed slightly and spoke up. "I actually think she's serious! You better watch out," she said half-jokingly and laughed some more.

He laughed as well before responding. "She ain't one ta bluff, so Ah think yer right."

Fluttershy was about to respond when her stomach suddenly growled, catching her and Big Mac off guard.

"Unless y'all have a baby dragon inside of ya, Ah'd have ta guess that yer hungry, right?" he asked with a voice of inquiry accompanied by a raised eyebrow.

"…Yes, I skipped lunch today, I should've thought ahead a bit more," she said admittedly as she blushed slightly.

"Well, we have plenty of food in the house if y'all want any."

"No, I'm fi-" she was saying before her stomach growled again, louder this time.

"Come on, let's go get some food in ya before y'all turn into nothin'," he said as he turned to the side and gestured for her to follow him.

"O-ok if it's not a bother to you."

"Not at all," he said simply and started walking, Fluttershy close behind.

After a short walk, the pair entered the house through the back door and were heading toward the kitchen when they were (not surprisingly) stopped by Granny Smith.

"Well howdy there lovebirds. Done with "warmin' up" already?" she asked, sounding completely serious.

This time Fluttershy wasn't the only one who started blushing. But Big Macintosh quickly got a hold of his emotions and replied.

"Granny...how many times do Ah have ta tell y'all that it ain't like that?" he asked, trying to keep his emotions from seeping into his voice.

"There ain't a specific number, but Ah reckon there's two answers to that question," she said causing Big Mac to raise his eyebrow in curiosity.

"An' what're they?" he asked curiously, not fully prepared for her answer.

"Ah'll stop askin' under two circumstances, the first un bein' that Ah die and the second un bein' y'all have a kid. Whichever comes first," she said causing Big Mac to cringe internally as he thought about his grandmother passing away. She then continued. "But Ah hope y'all ain't gonna take too long on that second un, because Ah wanna see the face of at least one of my great grands before Ah leave ya ta take care of the farm in my stead," she said, causing Big Mac to don a more saddened look.

"Granny…y'all know Ah hate when ya talk about dyin'," he said simply.

"Well, death is a reality Macintosh an' we all know Ah'm closer to it than anyone within a hundred miles," she said not helping Big Macintosh's mood in the slightest.

"Ah'm not talkin' about this right now," he said simply, concealing his emotions as he headed for the kitchen.

"Fine, we'll talk 'bout it later when Ah'm whuppin' ya, fer back talkin' me," she said as she headed for the front door at a reasonable pace for her age.

He didn't respond; waiting for the sound of the door closing, to continue speaking to the women who stayed silent during it all. "…Don't worry about her, Ah'll be damned if she doesn't outlive me, she has more kick in her than any Apple alive today," he said defiantly after stopping in the kitchen.

"I understand," she said simply.

"So, what would y'all like ta eat?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Well, what do you have?" she asked curiously.

"We have leftovers from yesterday which includes collard greens, mashed turnips, corn on the cob, spinach, carrots and an assortment of apple desserts and dishes," he said as he opened the fridge, allowing her the opportunity to look inside, he then continued. "But if y'all don't want any of that, Ah can make ya somethin' else or we can go somewhere else ta eat," he said honestly.

"No, no, the leftovers sound fine, but, what do you have for apple dishes? That's your family's specialty so I'm just wondering," she asked in anticipation of his answer.

"Well, we have fritters, pie, dumplin's, crisps and I think that's about it, we tend to save the other dishes for costumers unless we have a hankerin' fer somethin'," he said as he tried being as informative as he could.

"Can I try some apple pie?" she asked curiously.

"Well, we came in here fer y'all ta get somethin' ta eat in the first place, so yes, y'all can have some apple pie," he said simply and took two pies out of the fridge and placed them on the nearby counter.

"Why is there two?" she asked curiously.

"They're two different kinds of pie, one's sweeter and slightly softer while the other is a bit tarter and firmer," he said as he pointed to the corresponding pies.

"Oh, ok, I'll have a piece of the sweeter one."

"Would you like it warmed up?" he asked curiously.

"No, I like my pie cold," she said in response.

"Alright, the silverware is in that drawer over there" he said as he pointed to the drawer and then got a plate and pie cutter and cut her a slice of the sweet pie.

After she returned with her fork, he gave her the plate with the pie on it. "Thank you," she said as he handed her the plate, she then cut a small piece out of it and took a bite.

She was instantly shocked at how good it tasted. She had only bought pies from Applejack a few times and she didn't remember any of them being as good as this one.

"This is the best pie I've ever eaten, tell Granny Smith she needs to share this recipe with me!" she said gleefully, knowing that she would never get the recipe.

"Actually, Ah made that pie; Granny made the other one, but Ah'm glad y'all like it!" he said in a happy tone.

"You…made this pie?...will you share the recipe with me?" she asked curiously.

"Ah don't have a recipe, Apple Bloom wanted something sweeter than Granny's pie, so I made that," he said simply before continuing. "But Ah could probably recreate it, if Ah can remember the ingredients," he said optimistically.

"So you'll try?" she asked curiously, extremely insistent on learning this recipe.

"Yes, Ah'll try, but only under one circumstance," he said, causing Fluttershy to give him a look of inquiry.

"And what's that?" she asked somewhat hesitantly.

"Y'all have ta continue trainin' with me," he said, causing Fluttershy to cock her head to the side slightly with a confused look on her face.

"Well, I was planning on doing that anyway, becoming a stronger person is going to help me later on," she said simply.

"Alright then; do y'all want ta continue after yer done eatin' or do ya want ta do this another time?" he asked curiously.

"I suppose we should continue after I'm done eating. It would be rude to walk over here and only stay for a few minutes, eat your food and then leave," she said, making a good point.

"Ah guess that's true," he said plainly and continued. "…Fluttershy," he said simply, not sure how he should bring up his next question.

"Yes?" she asked in response. He was hesitant on his response, but he knew he should ask as it would open up new possibilities.

"…Do y'all…know how ta dance?" he asked curiously.

She was surprised by the sudden question but answered as best she could. "I used to know how to do a simple waltz, but it's been years since the last time I danced; so no, probably not," she said in response.

"Then Ah guess that's the next thing we'll do," he said, sparking a two-toned response from Fluttershy.

"Oh ok...wait, what!?" she asked in utter confusion.

"Ah'm gonna teach y'all how ta dance."

Author's Note:

A/N: Kinda an odd cutoff point, but oh well, I don't care. I hope you enjoy(ed?) Leave a like if you want to, leave a dislike if you want to, whichever is fine.