• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 1,507 Views, 22 Comments

A Bitter Almond Cake - Sparlight_Twikle



After Fluttershy discovers she's pregnant, she asks Twilight Sparkle to do an unusual favor.

  • ...
24
 22
 1,507

3. One glass of liquor

Thursday morning

Twilight kept visiting Fluttershy every day. So did Rainbow Dash. Rarity and Pinkie were present almost each time, Applejack came only once since Friday, and Big Macintosh never showed up.

The librarian was still feeling guilty about everything. She did her work absentmindedly, because if she allowed a single thought appear in her head, it was immediately followed by dozens of thoughts concerning Fluttershy, the abortion, and the suicide attempt. She knew that if she started thinking too much, she would again fell into the state of despair.

This day Twilight was reshelving the books about animal care, the very same books Big Mac borrowed 24 days earlier. Suddenly, she felt the urge to see Fluttershy's hut. Was it pure curiosity, was it the feeling of responsibility, she simply dropped the books on the floor and leapt outside, leaving confused Spike in the library.

When she approached the hut, she saw Bon-Bon tending the garden. The white earth pony noticed her.

“Good morning, Twilight. Did you come here to see if I'm doing my job properly?”

“Good morning. Well, frankly speaking I don't know why I came here. But may I ask how's it going with those animals?”

“Oh, it's going perfectly.” Bon-Bon smiled. “I think those cutsie-wootsie critters trust and love me.” she added, mimicking Fluttershy's voice. After a second, she reflected “Oh sorry, I shouldn't do that. I know how close you are with Fluttershy. That wasn't very nice of me.”

“No hard feelings.” assured Twilight. “I hope we can somehow repay you later for all your hard work.”

“We'll talk about it later, after all of it ends.” said the earth pony. “I was already discussing this with Applejack.”

“Oh right, how's Applejack? I haven't seen her in a while.”

“She's busy, awfully busy. She looks as if she didn't sleep at all. But no wonder, since her brother started drinking.”

“What?”

“Listen to this: I went few days ago to the Sweet Apple Acres to talk about Fluttershy. I saw Applejack applebucking. She barely had any strength left to hit a tree, yet alone make any apple fall. I said hello to her, she didn't respond and then I saw some movement inside the house. I took a peek inside and then suddenly the door swung open and Big Macintosh came out. He couldn't stand straight, he wobbled and had bloodshot eyes. Before I could say a word, he turned towards me and said ‘Ohh, howdy Bombom, Ah'm sorry but Ah can't talk to ya now, Ah'm lit– li'l busyyy. 'Xcuse me.’ Then he turned around and went back home. I was so shocked that I forgot why I came to their farm in the first place, so I returned home.”

Twilight didn't know if she should be more shocked by the fact that Big Mac became a drunkard, or by Bon-Bon's perfect imitation of Big Mac's drunken voice. After a pause, she responded:

“Well, usually I'd say it's bad to spread rumors, but in this case I'm grateful. Applejack would never tell anypony about this, and I don't think she can manage through it on her own. Thanks, Bon-Bon, bye.”

“Bye, Twilight.”

Twilight turned around and went on her way home. Bon-Bon went back to work.

None of them saw a pink shape hiding behind bushes.


Friday afternoon

Twilight Sparkle had just finished her lunch and decided it was time to stop Big Macintosh's drinking spree. Without even bothering to notify Spike, she trotted out of the library towards the Apples' farm.

When she arrived, she saw Applejack walking around in the orchard, pushing slowly buckets full of apples. Twilight didn't try to get the earth mare's attention, so instead she knocked on the door. A moment later the door opened, revealing Apple Bloom. The filly wasn't wearing her favorite ribbon today, her mane was unkempt and she looked paler and skinnier than usual.

“Uhm, hello, Apple Bloom. Is Big Mac home?”

Apple Bloom instinctively cowered and trembled. From inside the house Twilight heard some incomprehensible male voice asking some question. The only words she could understand were swearwords.

The unicorn walked past the scared filly and followed the voice. The source happened to be Big Macintosh, lying on a couch in the living room. Many bottles were scattered on the floor, presumably emptied by the stallion.

“Twahlaht? Wha'd'ya wan'?”

“Big Mac, I think you have a problem.”

“Eet ain't no yer feckin' business.”

“Is it about Fluttershy?”

“Leame mah beloved Fuffershah 'lone!”

“Big Mac, you know I would never hurt her.” Twilight was surprised how smoothly this lie went through her throat. “And I'm sure she wouldn't want you to become this way.”

“Shurrup. Go 'way.”

“And what about your family? They–” Twilight paused for a moment to find a good word, but the drunken stallion continued:

“Ah don' care. Dey can go feck demsevves.”

“You really care about Fluttershy, don't you?” the librarian began to understand.

“Ya wou'n't un'stand.”

“You see, recently I finally understood how much Fluttershy means to me, as a friend.”

“She's more dan a frien'. She–” Big Macintosh sobbed “Ah re'lized she's bee' meant fer me. Me an' her, lahk two halves an apple.”

“Poor Mac. Don't worry, she'll be fine...” Twilight tried to reassure him, but he was already crying out loud. She decided it would be better to leave him be for a moment. She couldn't stand watching stallions cry. Seeing the always reliable Big Macintosh in this state was even more painful.

The unicorn turned around and was already prepared to leave, when she almost bumped into a certain orange mare.

“Look who's pokin' her nose in somepony else's business! Who let ya in here, Twilight?”

“Apple Bloom. Sorta. Gotta go.” Twilight tried to avoid the topic and run away, but Applejack blocked her way.

“We don't like anypony meddlin' with Apple family's private matters. Understood?”

“Understood. Perfectly. Now can I go?”

Twilight smiled, but her uneasiness and lack of confidence were clearly showing. She shifted her gaze few times to avoid looking directly into Applejack's eyes.

“Sure. Ah ain't no time for you. Leave. Now.”

Applejack moved aside and Twilight galloped out of the house towards the farm's gate. When she crossed it, she slowed down and tried to catch her breath.

It looked like the whole Fluttershy affair was going out of hoof. Her abortion spell has indirectly claimed another victim. Was all of it Twilight's fault? She didn't know, but the feeling of guilt started yet again gnawing her from inside. Entrenched deep in her thoughts, she returned to the library.

She did not notice the pink shape that followed her all this day.

Saturday morning

Twilight didn't like waking up early in the morning on Saturdays, so she was slightly annoyed when Spike nudged her to wake her up.

“Twilight, Applejack came. She's in hurry but she needs to talk with you now.”

Twilight rolled out of her bed, stood up and followed Spike downstairs, while moaning about how unfair it is to wake a white-collar worker on her free days. Spike led Twilight downstairs, where Applejack and Apple Bloom were waiting.

The earth ponies looked exactly as bad as day before. The only difference was that Apple Bloom was wearing her ribbon now, although it was crooked and poorly tied. When Twilight approached them, Applejack said:

“Twilight, Ah'm gonna ask ya for a favor. Let's say it's for yesterday's.”

“Sure, what is it?” asked Twilight, fearing the worst.

“This li'l filly is just a nuance at the farm, and today there's even no school, so Ah thought ya can take care of her for few days.”

“Few days?” the librarian asked.

“Let's say till Monday mornin'. No excuses.”

The earth mare gave Twilight an angry look. The unicorn immediately realized that this was no laughing matter.

“Erm, sure, she can stay.” nervously confirmed Twilight. “This won't be any burden for us, right, Spike?”

Spike, surprised by sudden address, only managed to say “What?”

Before anypony could say anything more, a loud knock could be heard.

“It's open.” shouted Twilight.

The door opened and a pink mare entered the library. Her mane was no longer curly at all.

“Hi Applejack, I knew I could find you here. Oh, and hi, Twilight.”

Spike crossed his arms, annoyed by not being noticed.

“What do you want from me, Pinkie?” asked Applejack.

“I was worrying a lot about you and I think you should just have a serious talk with your brother.”

“Pinkie–” Twilight tried to stop this conversation before it became dangerous, but Applejack suddenly jumped forward in her direction, knocked her over and pinned to the ground.

“Ah told ya nopony meddles with our private matters.”

The unicorn tried to explain: “Applejack, I didn't–”

“Horseapples! Ya told everythin' to Pinkie, didn't ya?”

“No! I haven't seen Pinkie for days, I swear!”

“You all are ridiculous.” suddenly said Pinkie. “First the drunkard, now the thug–”

A violent kick abruptly interrupted the pink mare's words. Hit in her chest, Pinkie flew through the room and hit the shelves. She fell down onto the floor and dozens of books fell on her. Apple Bloom started crying.

“Shut up yer foul mouth!” shouted Applejack, then approached Pinkie lying under the heap of volumes. She turned around and delivered another kick, directly into Pinkie's head.

“Ah hope that'll teach ya.” Applejack raised her head with pride. “Ah have no time for y'all, Ah've got work to do.”

Without single word of farewell, the orange pony left the library.

“Are you okay?” Twilight turned to the mare buried under the books, as soon as she lost the sight of the attacker.

“Yeah, I'm feeling pretty well.” said Pinkie, wearing a fake smile. “She isn't in her best shape, that second kick was not that bad.”

The pink mare crawled from under the books and stood up. Twilight could easily notice that she was in pain.

“Should I get a doctor?” asked the worried unicorn.

“Nah, I'll be fine. I think I'll be going then. See ya.”

Pinkie slowly walked towards the door, grimacing in pain, turned around once again to smile and look into Twilight's eyes, and left.

Apple Bloom was still sobbing in the corner with her face covered by her hooves.


Monday morning

After Twilight, Spike and Apple Bloom ate breakfast, the young filly went to school, so the unicorn could finally have some time for herself. Spike was relieved that it was the last day of Apple Bloom's stay in the library, because cooking for one pony more (and very picky, too) was getting on his nerves. Twilight was also relieved, because Apple Bloom was reminding her about all problems she had indirectly caused.

An hour didn't pass after Apple Bloom's departure, when something rainbowy flew inside, bursting the door open.

“Twilight! Good news!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. “Fluttershy woke up!”

After saying these words, the pegasus flew out.

Twilight froze in shock. The unexpected news made her feel both relief and fear. After she regained her composure, she ordered Spike to keep an eye on the library. The dragon refused though and followed his boss to the hospital.

The hospital room 402 was full of ponies. Pinkie Pie, again with her curly mane, was already hugging Fluttershy, the pegasus could barely breathe. Rarity was standing aside, without her usual make-up, tears of joy running down her cheeks. Rainbow Dash was circling around under ceiling in excitement. Applejack looked tired, but she was smiling like the other ponies. Twilight and Spike took their places between the white and orange mares, directly in front of the bed.

Pinkie finally let go of Fluttershy, which allowed the pegasus to speak.

“I'm so glad you're happy. I'm sorry I did what I did. Come to think about it, it wasn't something that important. I'm such a hothead.” Sudden realization hit her. “Wait, so the bunnies–”

“Don't worry, Angel is safe and well.” said an unfamiliar voice.

Everypony turned around and saw Bon-Bon standing in the door.

“Hey, Bon-Bon,” Lyra's voice could be heard from the corridor. “Come here and lend me a hand–I mean, hoof! I can't do it myself!”

Bon-Bon trotted back to her roommate, and soon they both entered the room, supporting Big Macintosh on their shoulders. The mares put him on his own feet. The stallion barely could catch balance and everypony noticed that it was due to his today's drink or five. Big Mac shook his head and looked straight at the bed surrounded by five mares and one dragon. His crush was awake. The shock was too much for his intoxicated brain. With his mouth agape, he collapsed to the floor, pushing Lyra to the wall.

“Is he okay?” asked Rainbow Dash, hovering over the drunken stallion.

“He'll be okay, sugarcube, don' worry.” said Applejack, trying to end the topic.

“If you say so...”

“Anyhow,” Rarity decided to change the subject. “we should primarily be happy that Fluttershy is well. What do you think, darling?”

Before Fluttershy could respond, Pinkie Pie interrupted her.

“Do you now what it calls for! A party! As soon as you leave the hospital, we're gonna make a biggest party ever! Are you excited, because I'm excit–”

“No!”

Everypony stood silent by the silent pegasus's sudden outburst. The shout attracted attention of a passing doctor.

“What the hay is going on here? Who let you all– Hey! That stallion is drunk! Security!”

The doctor run away and the mares smiled to each other. Suddenly, Pinkie asked Fluttershy:

“Why don't you want to have a party? It will be the biggest and most epic party ever!”

“Well, it's because... all that led to this... began at a party... a party few months ago, in Cloudsdale, but that's a long story...”

‘A party few months ago, in Cloudsdale.’ This words resonated in Twilight's mind like a fire alarm. She stopped hearing anything around her. She saw the doctor come back with two security guards, his mouth moving, but she could not hear what he was saying. Librarian's mind was occupied with something more important: ‘The secret's beginning to leak... Fluttershy is going to spill the beans... I'm doomed... I'm doomed!’

Twilight saw Big Macintosh being dragged by the security to the toxicology ward, and Applejack arguing with the doctor. The unicorn followed other four mares. When they exited the building, she saw Rainbow Dash saying something to her, but the blue mare's mouth appeared silent. The pegasus shook her head and flew upwards, but Twilight paid no heed to where her friend was leaving. Pinkie Pie and Rarity looked up and then shifted their gazes to Twilight. The librarian supposed the pink mare was trying to speak to her, but she wasn't sure, she couldn't hear her and barely saw her with blurry vision. Twilight didn't even notice when she was left alone with Spike. She slowly directed herself to the library, seeing only rocks on the road moving past her. The tiny dragon kept trying to get her attention with no success.

Finally, Twilight arrived to her house. She opened the door with her forehead, and mindlessly followed the path to her bedroom. She stopped next to her bed, stood still for a moment, and fell straight down onto her bed. Apparently, it made a loud thud, because a minute later Spike came upstairs and tried to ask her something. Annoyed by Twilight's lack of reaction, he went back downstairs.

But it would be lying to say that Twilight didn't hear anything. The only thing she kept hearing all the time since Fluttershy mentioned Cloudsdale... was Fluttershy's latest words, intertwined with Twilight's own inner voices making dreadful predictions about near future. She lay down for hours, despairing over the inevitable moment when the secret will be revealed. This was the end.

If only there was a way to make Fluttershy stay silent...


The same Monday, evening

Wait! There is one!

Twilight suddenly rose to her hooves. The adrenaline pumping in her veins, her senses sharpened, she knew exactly what she needed to do, but still not how. She trotted downstairs, checking if Spike is around. Fortunately, she couldn't see him anywhere. She stopped in the middle of library, took few quick glances around, and instinctively decided to go to the kitchen. Still not sure what she should do, she noticed an open drawer.

In the drawer there was a large knife.

Twilight heard some sound coming from outside, so she immediately grabbed the knife with her magic, and teleported away.

Fluttershy gasped in shock, when she saw a flash of purple light in her room. She was so used to silence of this almost empty location, so she was surprised to see anypony else at this time of day.

“Oh, hello, Twilight, you've startled me...”

The unicorn didn't respond. Instead she slowly walked towards the bed.

“What... what have you brought there?” asked Fluttershy, staring uncomfortably at the object hovering near Twilight's horn. Her pupils were dilated in fear, her whole body was shaking.

The unicorn again didn't respond, displaying instead the widest grin she could. She raised the knife, preparing to deal a lethal strike.

Fluttershy's scream could be heard in the whole hospital.