• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 3,078 Views, 35 Comments

The Elements of Chaos - Mossbender



What happens when your dreams and nightmares...turn out to be something more? What happens when you are taken out of your own world...and are expected to help stop a force of unimaginable evil as old as time itself? One heck of an adventure of course

  • ...
13
 35
 3,078

A Royal Audience

Canterlot was bustling with activity as Eldon made his way towards the castle. Vendors had set themselves up on both sides of the street, eager to advertise and sell their products to the ponies passing by. Behind the vendors were all kinds of shops and restaurants, each doing their best to be more popular than the other. All kinds of delicious scents wafted throughout the streets, making Eldon's stomach growl.

"Hey! You there sir!" a vendor shouted at Eldon as he walked past one of the many stalls. Eldon stopped and looked to his left and right before pointing a hoof at himself.

"Uh, are you talking to me?" Eldon asked.

The vendor forced what was obviously a fake smile. "Of course I'm talking to you good sir! Have you ever felt like you weren't handsome enough for that special somepony? Well despair no more! For Flim and Flam's beauty tonic is the thing you need! Only two-hundred fifty bits per bottle!"

Eldon shook his head in return, much to the vendor's disappointment. "Sorry, not interested, besides, I don't even have that kind of money, actually, I don't have any money at all. " The yellow Unicorn then leaned across his stall, knocking some of his 'beauty' tonic over in the process.

"Listen buddy, my brother and I have fallen on hard times recently. This is our last chance to help our poor, sickly mother who can't even feed herself anymore. So I have a proposition for you, if you are willing to listen."

Eldon looked at the castle down the street and sighed as he looked back at the vendor. "Alright, make it quick then." Eldon hoped that he wouldn't have to regret this decision.

The yellow unicorn smiled again as he clapped his fore hooves together and rubbed them. "Excellent! You may call me Flim by the way. If you would just follow me this way please." Flim pulled on a rope which closed a pair of curtains and placed a sign on the front of his stall. Eldon quickly read it and it said that management would be back in five minutes.

Flim? Now where have I heard that name before... Eldon wondered. Flim led him down an alleyway until they came across a junk pile.

"Hey Flam!" Flim called out. "Brother! I roped in a suck— uh, I mean this kind sir who wishes to help our cause!"

Flam? Brothers? Why does this all seem so familiar? My head hurts... Eldon thought and he massaged his forehead. A yellow Unicorn wearing the same attire as Flim trotted out from behind the junk pile, and unlike his brother, he had a fantastically well groomed moustache.

"Hey hey! That is excellent news!" Flam replied and he grabbed and shook Eldon's hoof.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is all... that?" Eldon asked, tearing his hoof away from Flam's grip and pointing at the junk pile. Flim laughed nervously as he quickly grabbed a nearby sheet and covered the pile.

"Oh that? Pfft, nothing! Those are just our previous experiments, which were unfortunately shut down by some ponies who didn't know what quality business was!" Flim shuddered at the memories."But no matter, let's get down to some real business!"

Flam then reached inside his hat and brought out a chart, unrolling it for them to see.

"You see here, uh... what's your name again?" Flam asked.

"My name is Eldon."

"All righty Sheldon. As of late, our product has been dropping in sales, well, actually we haven't sold a thing yet." Flam pointed at the chart which showed a big red arrow spiralling downwards, with his and his brother's faces at the bottom in a saddened state. "This is where you come in Sheldon." Flam flipped the chart over to show an arrow spiralling upwards, with their faces all happy at the top and surrounded by bits.

"We want you to advertise our product and demonstrate it to the crowd, and better yet, we'll pay you to do it," Flim continued. "How does a hundred bits sound?"

I don't know about this, it feels wrong, and I'm not even sure if their tonic will actually work... but if it's to help their mother, then I guess just advertising it shouldn't be too bad, and having the money wouldn't hurt, Eldon thought. "Fine, I'll do it, but only because it's to help your mother."

Flim and Flam clapped their hooves together and they stood on either side of Eldon, each with a foreleg around his shoulders. "That is just fantastic Sheldon! I promise— no, WE promise that you have made the right decision. Come along now, it's almost time to close up shop, and we haven't even put on the show yet! But first, we just need to get you properly dressed."

Flam reached inside his hat and brought out another similar hat and placed it on Eldon's head.

"Do you always wear two hats Flam?" Eldon asked.

"Of course I do! Every professional salespony never leaves home without having a back up hat!" Flam shook his head and chuckled. "Such an amateur..." Flim and Flam quickly led Eldon back out of the alleyway and to their stall just as the other vendors were beginning to pack up for the day.

"Get into position Smeldon! It is time to show these ponies what business is all about," Flim whispered and he gave Eldon a bottle of beauty tonic. "Now, when I wink at you, you are to drink this bottle. Take only a sip, because I still want to be able to sell it. Got it?" Eldon nodded, although the thought of giving another pony something that had already been used was disgusting. "Good, were on in five!" Only a second had passed when the curtains on the stall opened, revealing Flim and Flam holding megaphones.

"Gather around fillies and gentlecolts for a product you won't believe!" Flim sang. "A product so great, you can't possibly berate, those faint of heart better leave!"

His singing had begun to draw in a crowd as Flam continued the song. "Tonight we will show you the greatest invention ever made! A unique bottle of tonic, if you don't buy would be idiotic! Come now! There's no need to be afraid!"

The brothers then began to sing in unison. "What does it do you may ask? Don't worry! Our friend here will show you! He is up to the task!" Flim winked at Eldon, indicating that he should take a sip from the bottle now. All eyes were watching him as he took out the cork with his teeth and took a sip. He smacked his lips and he resisted the urge to cringe.

Ugh, that tasted awful! I don't feel any different at all! Eldon's stomach began to churn and he felt as if he had just swallowed a burning coal.

"What do you think Meldon? Feel any different?" Flam asked. Eldon carefully placed the bottle on the stall and he turned to face the crowd.

"Yeah... I feel... pretty..." Eldon said weakly and collapsed on the ground. He had fallen unconscious. The crowd gasped and somepony yelled that their friend on the ground needed medical attention. Not wanting to lose the crowd, and possible profit, Flim came up with an idea.

"Now don't fret everypony! The product is working as intended! We introduce to you the Super... uh, Knock-Out Pranko... Tonic!" The crowd mumbled among themselves, still unsure if Eldon was okay or not.

"Now's your chance to prank family, friends, co-workers, and even your enemies! For a hundred bits this product can be yours! Hurry now while supplies last!" Flam shouted. A blue Unicorn approached the stand shortly after and tossed a bag of bits onto their stall.

"Although the Great and Powerful Trixie usually doesn't stoop this low for revenge, I require one bottle of your tonic!" she shouted at them.

"Sold! To the blue Unicorn goes the first bottle! Who will be the next lucky pony?" Flim asked. He gave Trixie her tonic and she trotted away, cackling with glee.

"Oh wow! Even the Great and Powerful Trixie bought their product! If she can, then so can I!" A pony shouted from within the crowd.

"That's the spirit!" Flim told the crowd. It was if Flim had said the magic word. The crowd began to swarm the stall. For some strange reason, the urge to buy the tonic had overpowered them.

"Hoo wee! These things are selling faster than hot cakes brother!" Flam shouted as he sold yet another bottle. "This is probably the most successful we've been to date! And the funny thing is, this product actually works!"

Flim leaned over the stall and looked at Eldon who was lying prone on the ground. "It is all thanks to our friend Sheldon here, it's really too bad he isn't awake to receive his pay though, but if he ever needs a favour, he can call on us." Flim then tied a small slip of paper on the back of Eldon's necklace. Written on it was their address. "Have a good evening Sheldon!"


Eldon awoke to discover that he was on the ground. His stomach was still feeling the after effects of the tonic, leaving him feeling slightly nauseous.

Urgh... Wh- what happened? That tonic... I'm never drinking a strange liquid again. He slowly stood up to find that the street was empty and the brothers, along with the crowd, were gone. Damn! Those Unicorns just left me here! Eldon did a quick scan of the ground to see if he was at least paid, only to find nothing but cobblestone. He also noticed that the hat was gone too. Double damn! I was a fool to trust them, nothing but a bunch of lousy scamming ponies. The moon was slowly rising, bathing the city with its glow. I need to get to the castle, find some answers, and no more distractions! Also, I need to stop falling unconscious. He galloped down the street, his hooves echoing with each step in the silence of the night.

It didn't take him long to reach the steps that led to the castle. The guards that were posted there followed him with their eyes as he began to climb them, making sure he wasn't up to any funny business. At last he reached the top, only to be greeted by a pair of large doors which served as the entrance to the castle. Eldon slowly approached them, suddenly nervous and having second thoughts about going in.

Come on Eldon, you didn't travel all this way and almost get killed for nothing! Your answers are right here... right on the other side of these doors, he thought. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply before slowly exhaling. The orb in his necklace glowed softly and he felt himself relax as the tension in his body drained away. He opened his eyes and he pushed on the right wooden door, causing it to slowly swing inwards.

He trotted inside and the door closed on its own behind him with a dull thud, leaving him in a brightly lit room. In front of him was a staircase that split off into two directions and there were doors on the opposite sides of the room as well. The red carpet he was on felt soft beneath his hooves.

Great... I'm here, but I have absolutely no idea where to go, Eldon thought. A light green pony carrying a tray full of fruit on her back suddenly appeared from the eastern doorway. She paid Eldon no mind as she passed him and climbed the stairs, turning to the left and disappearing from view. Hey, maybe she knows where the princesses are! "Hey! Hey wait! Miss!" Eldon followed the route she took and caught up to her easily since she was only heading to her destination at a trot.

"Excuse me Miss? Can you help me please?" Eldon asked politely. She turned her head and looked at Eldon, causing her to slow to a halt.

"Sure thing! Just make it quick though, I have to deliver these fruits to the princesses," she replied.

"Oh! That's exactly where I need to go too! Do you mind if I tag along?"

"Oh, I don't mind at all, in fact, you can bring the fruits in to them as well when we get there." The mare suddenly giggled which caused her to blush immediately after. Eldon didn't pay any attention though since all he was thinking about was the meeting he would be having soon.

Eldon breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness! I was afraid I was going to wander the halls forever."

"Yeah, it was confusing for me too when I started working here, but you get used to it after a while," the mare replied. "Anyway, let's go, it would be rude to show up late." She resumed trotting down the hall and Eldon followed alongside her.

"So, how long have you been working here Miss...?" Eldon asked.

"Oh, my name is Kiwi Passion! I've been here for about a few years now mister. I deliver things throughout the castle, although in my spare time I like to create wonderful fruit sculptures. Mostly out of kiwi though," Kiwi replied. "What's your name?"

"I'm known as Eldon Field. but everyone just calls me Eldon."

"Eldon? That's a... nice name. What do you do for a living?" Kiwi asked.

"I'm currently... how should I put this... unemployed," Eldon replied, feeling rather embarrassed. "To be honest, I don't think I'm really the working type."

Kiwi looked at him and burst out laughing. "Oh that's nonsense! Everypony is good at something, even if it takes them a long time to find it. Oh! we're here!" The two stopped in front of a pair of very beautifully crafted doors. The left door had an image of a sun carved into it, while the right door had the image of a crescent moon.

"Here you are going to need this." She reached behind her with her head and grabbed the fruit tray between her teeth. She then carefully lifted it and placed it on Eldon's back. "The princesses are in the throne room. If by some chance you end up staying the night, the guest bedrooms are just further down this hall. Good luck!"

Kiwi turned to leave when Eldon suddenly placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Wait! Thank you for helping me Kiwi. Perhaps we might see each other again?"

Kiwi looked at the hoof on her shoulder and giggled. "Perhaps Eldon, I do work here after all. See you around!" She turned around and trotted back down where they had came from. She quickly disappeared from Eldon's sight.

What a nice pony! Just like that she immediately jumped at the opportunity to help me, Eldon thought. Not wanting to waste any time, he approached the doors and knocked on them with his right forehoof. The doors slowly swung inwards right after he knocked, revealing a massive hallway with multiple mosaics on either side, but what caught Eldon's eye was the throne at the end of the hall and the ponies that resided there.

One as white as a cloud, and the other a rich dark blue. Both of them had horns and beautifully well-maintained wings, signifying that they were Alicorns, a rare type of pony only reserved for those who have demonstrated great skill, leadership, compassion, and what have you.

Eldon recognized them immediately. His memory had almost come back to him. "The royal sisters!" He continued to look at them in awe as he heard a faint chuckle coming from the white one, Celestia.

"You may enter young one. Don't be shy, for you are in good hooves here," Celestia said. "We've been expecting you."

Eldon's knees began to tremble with excitement. "O- of course your highness!" He slowly began to make his way down the hall, observing the various pieces of stained glass on the walls. Some of them depicted the sisters, while some depicted ponies that he also recognized immediately... then everything finally made sense to him.

The... the bearers of the Elements of Harmony! Eldon thought. His eye's widened in disbelief. It's true then... all of it. Flim, Flam, the Diamond Dogs, Celestia and Luna, this city... I finally remember all of it! But how can this be? All this time, I merely believed this place to be that of fiction... Why am I here? What could Equestria, of all places, possibly want with someone like me? This is too good to be true, it just has to be a dream! I'll wake up any second now... I think.

When he was close enough to the sisters, Eldon did his best to kneel in respect, but he lost his balance and fell flat on his face, spilling the fruit onto the floor in the process. "I'm so, so sorry! I didn't mean to drop the fruit, here let me get them!" His face was quickly turning red in embarrassment. Celestia and Luna chuckled lightly at the humorous display before them, but then Celestia's horn gave off a soft, yellow glow, enveloping the dropped fruit and placing them neatly on the fallen tray.

"Th-thank you Celestia for your help." Although he didn't show it, Eldon was silently bursting with joy on the inside. She just used magic in front of me, real magic! None of that magician stuff back on Earth, although a lot of them are pretty brilliant, but still! That was awesome! But I should probably practice being like... this still. I don't want to have another accident like that happen again.

"Welcome stranger to the city of Canterlot," Celestia said. "Like I've already said, we have been greatly anticipating your arrival."

"So I've been told, but why are you anticipating me? What do you mean?" Eldon asked. "Why am I here?

"Apologies, I'm getting too far ahead of myself. I am Celestia, and this is my sister, Luna." Celestia gestured towards herself and Luna before she looked at Eldon again. "May we know what yours is?"

"O- of course! My name is Eldon Field, but if you don't mind, I would like to be called only by my first name," Eldon said.

Celestia nodded."As you wish Eldon. That's a rather curious name though, I quite like it." Eldon blushed a little bit at Celestia's words.

"You- you are too kind your highness," Eldon managed to stammer out.

Luna suddenly cleared her throat, obtaining both Celestia's and Eldon's attention. "Sorry to interrupt your pleasantries, but I believe there are more important matters that we should be discussing."

Celestia nodded her head in agreement. "Of course sister, I haven't forgotten." Celestia focused on Eldon again, except this time her gaze had been drawn to the necklace around his neck, and more notably, the orb that was socketed in the middle. The orb was glowing a soft white. "Eldon, that necklace you have around your neck. The orb, it feels... familiar. How did it come to be in your possession?"

Eldon simply shrugged at her question. "The necklace, or should I say the orb, just appeared suddenly one night. Ever since I picked it up, I haven't been able to remove it since."

Celestia simply nodded and continued to look at the orb. "That is most peculiar... but it'll have to wait." Celestia tore her gaze away from the orb. "Let's move on to what Luna wishes for us to discuss. Eldon, if you aren't already aware, Equestria has been experiencing some rather... strange occurrences to put it simply. From Manehatten to Los Pegasus, there have been reports of ponies disappearing in the middle of the night, but only to just reappear the next day."

"That does sound rather strange," Eldon said.

Luna then spoke up. "It gets worse. There have also been reports of shadowy monsters being seen, but they haven't done anything as of late. It doesn't make them any less of a threat however to the safety of our citizens. Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to find the source of the problem, although we have managed to keep our people calm."

"So how am I involved in all of this?" Eldon asked.

"Last night, I witnessed a great ball of blue flame descend from the heavens into the Everfree Forest," Luna replied.

"And Twilight told me that there was a pony in trouble earlier today in the Everfree Forest, so I enlisted the assistance of the Pegasus, Rainbow Dash, to help search for this pony," Celestia continued. "In her report, she told me that the stranger was being attacked by a trio of Diamond Dogs before she intervened." Eldon quickly nodded his head as he remembered the events from earlier that day.

"That was indeed me. The dogs had tried to take my necklace away from me, but fortunately were unable to," Eldon replied. "But I was rescued by Rainbow Dash? Ha! I knew it!"

Celestia and Luna suddenly looked at each other. "Perhaps what Twilight said was true then..." Celestia whispered. "The prophecy..."

Luna shook her head. "We can't be sure just yet sister."

Celestia nodded her head in agreement. "You're right Luna, but this would best be left until tomorrow, I sense that if we let our guest stay awake any longer, he'll collapse from exhaustion." She returned her gaze to Eldon to find that he was beginning to sway back and forth where he stood, his eyelids growing heavy. "You must be very tired after such a long journey, would you like to stay the night Eldon?"

Eldon yawned and nodded his weary head. "Thank you your highness, I accept your offer, plus, can I take some fruit with me?"

"Of course you may young one, let me summon a guard to escort you to your quarters," Celestia said. She raised her head and her horn began to glow a bright and warm yellow. Shortly after the glow faded away, a guard entered the room and stood next to Eldon. "I need you to take our guest here to one of the guest bedrooms, make sure he arrives there safely."

The guard saluted her and Luna before he looked at Eldon. "Right this way." He trotted towards the door and left the room. Eldon picked up two apples with his teeth from the fruit tray and he uttered what sounded like a goodnight to the two princesses.

"Goodnight to you as well Eldon," Celestia replied and watched as he left the throne room. Eldon followed the guard down the hall that Kiwi had mentioned earlier until the guard stopped in front of one of the rooms and opened it, letting Eldon in. It was a beautiful display to behold.

I'll check out this room some more tomorrow, but right now I can finally get some sleep that I want without having to be knocked out!Eldon thought. The guard closed the door behind him and Eldon jumped onto the bed. He dropped the two apples he had taken onto the bed and took a bite out of one of them. His eyes widened shortly after. This is the best apple I've ever tasted! He quickly devoured them, licking his lips afterwards and relieved that he had finally put some food in his stomach. Eldon at last collapsed from exhaustion, falling into a well deserved slumber.


Meanwhile, in the upper reaches of the castle, Celestia was pondering over recent events.

A stranger, Eldon, who I've never seen nor heard of before suddenly appears. These last couple of weeks have been filled with reports. And that orb... for some reason it feels familiar, yet... I've never seen it before. If this pony does turn out to be the one like Twilight said... Then perhaps Equestria can still be saved from whatever darkness plagues our land. He can— Her thoughts were interrupted as Luna approached and stood beside her.

"Sister, that stranger pony... Eldon was it? He doesn't seem... right," Luna said. "He is a Unicorn, but I hardly sensed any magic in him at all. It's as if he was hiding it, but I do agree with you about the orb. I sensed something familiar about it too."

"All in good time my dear sister, Twilight knows more about this matter than the both of us. I would call for her now, but she fell asleep waiting for Eldon to arrive. I've also sent a letter to the Crystal Empire earlier today, requesting Shining Armor and Cadance to be present tomorrow morning to express their current views on these matters, as well as to help us press Eldon for some more information now that he has arrived."

Luna nodded in agreement with her sister's plan. "Good thinking, we'll need all the help we can get."

Celestia stretched her wings and yawned, having grown rather weary from today's events. "I've stayed up far too long today, I think it's time I leave you to your duties sister. Have a pleasant evening." She trotted back inside the castle.

"Goodnight to you as well sister," Luna whispered and turned her gaze to the starry sky above. Both of them wondered how this strange pony, Eldon, would affect Equestria. Hopefully, tomorrow would bring some answers.