• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 840 Views, 19 Comments

Sombra's Heart - IpreferpI



Prince Sombra must assume the throne from his father. This comes sooner than expected, and with a single task: Find a way to protect the empire from Discord.

  • ...
3
 19
 840

The Onyx Crown

“All Rise!”

I entered the throne room. All around, nobles and guildmasters stood, lining either side of the aisle. In front of my feet a long red carpet stretched, strewn with flower petals giving a sweet fragrance. I took a deep breath, before taking that first dignified step. At the end of the room, just before the throne stood Golden Light, the High Priestess of the temple. In her hands was the royal crown adorned with rubies. In the center of it was a large onyx, the symbol of the Nightshade Royal Line, and the sight of it filled my heart with bittersweet pride.

That first step was the hardest, all eyes upon me. As I took the second, my royal robes trailed behind me, stiring the petals on the ground. On either side, guards snapped to attention, their armor quietly clattering. The nobles knelt at my passing, minor ones on both knees. The higher ups needed to bend only one knee, but all of them bowed their heads as I, Prince Sombra, passed them.

I continued the march, one foot in front of the other, the Priestess looking at me through eyes filled with ancient wisdom. She had crowned not only my father, but my grandfather as well. Still, her hands were strong and did not tremble from holding the crown up.

An eternity later, I stood before her. Taking one knee, I bowed my head before her, and recited an oath I had been memorizing for the last twenty three years. An oath I knew I would have to make someday, but that would be one my father would never get to see me make.

“I, Prince Sombra Nightshade the First, do hereby vow to defend the Crystal Empire against all threats, be they Foreign or Domestic, and to safeguard our heritage. I swear that never shall I falter in my duties, and shall bear them to my grave, as did my father and his father before him. Never shall an enemy enter my beloved empire, and never shall any prevent my people from their rightful pursuit of freedom and justice. I, Prince Sombra, do accept this crown and the weight that goes with it, that of duty and honor. I, Prince Sombra, make this vow.”

As I made the final words, my throat tightened with the knowledge that I was now bound to this duty as surely as if I was chained. Like it or not, my fate and the empires were one. If I failed, the empire would be no more, and chaos would take us all.

The ancient priestess nodded, and I turned around to the people. I felt her move beind me, and then a great weight descended on me. It was much heavier than I expected, and for a moment my head was bowed again.

In a clear voice, she said “Rise, King Sombra.”

In a louder voice, Captain Bloodmane shouted “The King is Dead! Long live the King!”

As one, the gathered crowd shouted in reply “LONG LIVE THE KING! LONG LIVE THE KING!”

I raised my hand, and silence fell. I had one more thing to say to them, before I could retire for the day. An announcement that had not been made since just before the creation of the Crystal Heart.

“My loyal subjects... This day, I do make my first decree. By my order, Affairs of the Court shall fall to my Steward, Lord Storm Cloudchaser. This decree comes due to my next announcement.

“I shall be retiring away for the time being to work on analyzing and improving our defenses, as per my fathers dying wishes. For now, we are ahead of Discord. But things can change, and until such time as he is defeated, we must remember that a wolf prowls at our door, and only by constant vigilance and improvement is it kept at bay. We would all do well to remember that this time of peace is purchased via many sleepless nights and tireless mages. For the foreseeable future, the day to day affairs will be handled by Cloudchaser. That is all. For today, I decree a celebration in honor of my ascension to the throne. Eat, Drink, and be Merry!”

With those final words I stepped back, and endured many of the nobles coming to me to offer condolences or to wish me well. Several offers of support and many words of wisdom later, I sat in my throne, rubbing my forehead. Even my horn ached, and yet I knew that the day was not quite over.

After Captain Bloodmane had shown everyone else out of the room, I beckoned him over. He approached, murmuring “Sire... what do you need?”

“Captain, I understand that you may have concerns, but I will need your loyalty now more than ever. Soon, I will be forced to make changes in the Empire, radical changes that may for a time make people unhappy. You must trust that I know what I am doing, and that I always mean what is best for the... for MY people.”

“Of course sire! Now, young lord, you have no need to worry. Affairs of the court will be taken care of, and we will ensure you are not disturbed. Will there be anything else?”

With a wave, I dismissed him, resting for a bit longer.

That evening, I knew what I had to do. Locked deep in the Crystal Vaults, there were old books. Books dating to before the Empire existed, when this northern land was still populated by Shamans and Oracles, as well as practitioners of magic so great it was said that they only died out because they could not stop warring with eachother.

The only problem was that those books were dangerous. Even reading them could corrupt one, but with a strong enough will I might be able to unlock their secrets. I needed to not only create a new order, but find a way to HARNESS that order into a new type of magic. Mentally, I weighed the risks and rewards.

In the rewards category, I knew that if... no, WHEN I succeded, my people would be safe from discord forever. They could live in peace and harmony, and soon, I would be able to help the rest of the world.

In the risks, I knew that I may have to surrender more and more of what makes my empire what it is. Law could be used to oppress as easily as it could be used to protect and defend. And when Harmony turned to Tyranny, I could easily do something I would later regret.

Still, my mind was strong, and already made up. I have to do this.

For my people, and for myself.

Because deep down, I was still terrified of the thought of this power. I needed to Confront it, and I had to gain the Strength to succeed.

I would get better, because I must.

Again, a deep laugh echoed just beyond hearing.

Author's Note:

Chapter 4 is in the works.