• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 336 Views, 7 Comments

Beyond Those Who Sleep - tassadarth



The death of somepony is inevitable, but what happens after their death, what about the dreams their families have of them where do those come from?

  • ...
 7
 336

Prologue

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy, I'll be uploading chapters as much as I can.
:D
Tassadarth

7/23/2014

Beyond Those Who Sleep
By: Tassadarth

I’ve been spending most of my days in the hospital everyday I spend trying to keep my family happy they look at me with their sad eyes, on the edge of tears as I had helped them stay happy for their whole lives. Even now when I’m pretty much on my death bed I try to keep their spirits up, and put those smiles on their faces, because nothing means more to me than my family. My younger brother who of which was still a filly would spend most of his time sitting in the hospital talking with me trying to have as much fun with me before I passed away. My heart was going into failure, and nopony around was offering their heart for a transplant, even if somepony was their blood type would have to match my current one. I was type A of blood, most ponies sadly enough were type B. It was weird being an opposite of everypony around me, but you have to accept who you are. If you don’t your life will simply be the worst. In my own life I had spent it trying to be as generous to everypony I loved as possible.

I looked around the room to see my mother and father on the far side trying to keep straight faces as I laid on the hospital bed on the edge of death. My brother next to me talking about his day at school, I acknowledged him to keep up with the smartest ponies in his school because some day he would become smarter than myself. My heart beat slowed just thinking of my family. Time for visiting was almost over, so I decided to sit up “Hey kid you should go home and get some rest, it’s almost time for me to hit the hay to right.” He smiled at my attempt to keep him happy. My parents and my brother left the room. Tonight I wasn’t all that tired all I had done today was talk to my family, but I did that everyday. Today just seem like the shortest day of my life.

The next day I woke up not even realizing I had fallen asleep, I looked around the room noticing that nopony had come to visit let alone nopony seemed to even bother bring me breakfast. I sat up and looked even more to what was happening, I felt strong. Maybe somepony had gotten a heart for him, even for all that he had done to keep his family happy in the hospital he was sad he had gotten the heart. All it meant was somepony somewhere had died and donated their heart to him. He felt as if he should get up and find out who did this for him, and dedicate all that he has earned to their funeral. Because life is the only gift worth everything.

I sat up from the bed, and stepped down off of it, the ground was cold, and the room was silent. I walked out the doors of my current room only to find a big white empty room, I must have been dreaming because the hospital couldn’t have moved everything they had in one night. I heard a noise behind in which I turned around to see that the room I had been staying had disappeared, and I was now at the exit to the hospital. Funny I didn’t remember walking down stairs to the exit. I turned back to what I thought was the waiting room, only to find myself at my house. It was empty nopony in sight the only thing remaining was my bed. There was a knock on the door, funny considering I lived in the middle of nowhere, what pony would travel out here at this time of day, my family would be visiting me at the hospital right now. His dreams were always memories of the past, this must be from a time where his parents left him home alone. I went to answer the door, but my hoof couldn’t grab hold of the handle. It was only a dream, so I simply thought to myself if I can’t grab hold of the handle, why don’t I just move through the door? I pushed my body through the door to find myself wandering on a big grey plain, a few divots on the surface. Although in the distance I can see big craters in the ground off in the distance. As I approached one of the craters I started to notice that I felt a bit winded from my walk. I wanted to rest, but I kept on thinking “I must move one.” I looked down into the crater only to find that it was a portal to another world. My dreams weren’t always this weird, but I thought I might give a try at summoning a pony from my memory. Lucid dreams were always the best. “Hello? Where am I. I would like somepony to explain to me how I got here.” Questioning a dream always was the best way to wake up this one was creepy, I didn’t like it one bit. I heard hoofsteps behind me, so I turned only to see somepony I wasn’t expecting.

“Princess Luna?” I asked straightening up a bit.

“Need not for silly traditions Tassadarth, for this may come as a bit of a shock.” Luna starred deep into my eyes, with sorrow. “I’m very sorry to inform you, but you have died.”

My neck recoiled from the word she just announced to me, but after all the hours I’ve been in this dream world it would make sense. “What am I supposed to do now? My life was there, and now I’m here. I feel as if this is not what is supposed to happen to a pony when it dies.”

“That’s why you’re here, I have a proposal for you. One that I wouldn’t give to many ponies that enter this realm, you see that not many roam around this dimension. I’ve called your soul here to offer you a chance to see your family in their dreams, to help mourn for yourself. If you choose to do so, you will also be helping others, and if you say no you’ll be stuck in this realm for eternity.”

“I choose to help, I wouldn’t believe that wandering aimlessly would even be a choice. So when do I get to visit my family?”

“I’ll contact you later.” As she said she faded into a small dust cloud, and vanished.

I wandered the surface of what I thought would be the moon, it was a peaceful place. Every noise made would be muffled by the lack of air, I guess I didn’t need air all that much since I was just a spirit. It was odd to think that I was a soul wandering around the moon. This seemed like an odd fate for what kind of life I lived. I spent my whole life trying to make people feel joy instead of sorrow. I understand why she offered me such a job, others can be depressing after they die I guess. Especially when their laying on their death bed, come to think of it even while I was laying in the hospital bed I wasn’t thinking of death, all I could think about was the impact I would leave after I was gone. I guess next time Luna contacts me I will be able to see what sort of impact I left on my little brother. I know that the first one will be the worst, it will be fresh. She didn’t mention any terms or conditions I must follow, so I guess I could just tell him I can see him beyond his own dreams I guess. I could inspire him to build a rocket, and come up here to visit me or would that not work? Being dead is very interesting, and weird. Knowing that your dead is even weirder than not knowing, at least not knowing is like you’re just dreaming a very very very weird dream. When you’re dead it just seems all the more random than the dream, because its events that are happening beyond those who sleep. When I was first approached by Luna I was almost certain this was a dream not just plain out death. Maybe this is different for all the pessimists out there who can’t tell the difference between their dreams and the normal world; because their normal lives seem to just fade away as they fall asleep. They wake up the next morning the same way they always do, that’s what I loved about my life, is that I would wake up always excited for a new adventure; come up with some new way to entertain my little brother. It always seem like my life got better and better everyday. I may not have seemed happy on the outside, but on the inside I was always happy, and getting happier by the second. Every second I spent on the moon, I got more and more tired, was there anywhere to sleep here? I eventually thought to myself if Luna is able to contact me in here isn’t this like some sort of dream? I thought about my house back in Equestria and thought about sleep, I eventually found myself in an empty void. This must be like a dream within a dream? All in all it didn’t seem all that bad, so I decide why not just lay down inside of this void, and try to rest. I never knew that the dead would have to rest to.