• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 5,364 Views, 85 Comments

Crossing Over - Alaborn



John Lockhart cares for a certain fictional world more than his own. Too bad he'll never go there...

  • ...
12
 85
 5,364

Chapter 5: Tell Me A Fable

Numerous used coffee cups were stacked on the corners of desks and tables in the large laboratory at Royal Canterlot University. But it was mostly adrenaline that kept the professors and research assistants working strong. The phenomenon, really a series of mysterious phenomena, came to the university described by energy readings from the Atallama Observatory, but were rumored to be of particular interest to the princesses themselves. Could the inverse of these energy signatures be computed?

Further compounding the mystery of these observations was an additional series of mathematical formulae that arrived a day later. The accompanying letter was particularly cryptic, consisting of five words: “In the absence of magic”. Soon, there was a eureka moment: test the hypothetical formulas of the unified theory in the simplified case, with magic-related variables set to zero.

“Professor!” shouted one senior student. “Take a look at the inversion equation. The way we’ve been analyzing it, the variables could never converge. And the results are undefined with the magic-related variables at zero. But look what happens when θ follows this equation, with a limit of zero as t approaches infinity.” The equation was not solved, but it was no longer divergent.

“This might be the breakthrough we’re looking for!” the professor said excitedly. Immediately, he started working on the equation under other distributions of θ.


Crossing Over
By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 5: Tell Me a Fable


I was still exhausted when I was awoken by Twilight Sparkle. “Quick, get ready to go!” she said. “I have one stop to make before boarding the train.”

I looked outside. It was barely dawn, definitely an hour when I would prefer to be sleeping. Maybe I could catch a nap on the train.

“Don’t forget anything!” nagged Twilight Sparkle. “With a bit of luck, Princess Celestia will be able to send you home today!”

I wasn’t that hopeful. But both Bobbie and I gathered our saddlebags. The one benefit of being in these pony bodies was not having to worry about a suitcase of clothes.

Twilight Sparkle led us to a curious building, round and decorated with carousel horses. Didn’t Twilight Sparkle mention that Rarity owned the Carousel Boutique? In any case, what was so important to bring us here at this hour?

Twilight knocked on the door of the carousel building. After a while, Rarity opened the door, wearing a bathrobe, cap, and slippers. “Why, Twilight!” she said. “Whatever could be so important to interrupt somepony’s beauty sleep?”

“It’s just a matter of time pressure, Rarity,” Twilight Sparkle explained. “We’re on our way to Canterlot this morning, but we have a job for you while we’re gone. You see, John was just mentioning how much he’d like one of your cloaks.”

That was sure news to me. I looked to Twilight Sparkle, who mouthed “Play along.” I smiled. Turnabout is fair play.

Rarity looked at me crossly. “For him?” she said.

“Consider it a favor to me, Rarity,” replied Twilight Sparkle.

Rarity’s expression brightened considerably. “For you, Twilight, anything!” she said. “Come in, come in.” With a glow of magic, Rarity’s night clothes flew off, and without any further effort, she appeared as stylish as she had appeared yesterday.

A tape measure wrapped around me as Rarity took my measurements. Then, she browsed her fabric selections, checking several swatches against my mane and coat. “Now, what style would be best?” she mused. “Classic, elegant, modern? But something’s missing, and I can’t put my hoof on it.”

“Perhaps a new mane style to complement the fashion?” offered Twilight Sparkle.

“Yes!” exclaimed Rarity. “Twilight, that was simply genius!” Rarity levitated over a mirror, and I stared at myself. The mane with which I had appeared was rather boring, I had to admit, hanging straight and plain, much like a horse’s mane. To be honest, my human hair was just as boring.

A mild but pleasant tingle covered my head, and I saw my mane change while Rarity provided running commentary. “A yellow like that could use a lighter highlight. Now, perhaps a light wave. No, too much wave. Or how about a streak of color? Perhaps an orange to match your cutie mark?” As I watched the magic work on me, I figured out why Twilight Sparkle thought this trip was worth an early rise.

“She’d better keep that horn away from my hair,” Bobbie whispered to me.

She didn’t whisper quietly enough. “I wouldn’t worry about that, dear,” Rarity responded. “Even I can recognize a lost cause when I see it.”

Twilight Sparkle finally had to interrupt Rarity’s work. “I’m afraid we’ll need to be going, Rarity,” she said.

“Thank you for stopping by, Twilight Sparkle. I can’t wait to get creating!”


“Was that really necessary?” asked Bobbie.

“Shopping? No. A confirmation to my theory? Yes,” said Twilight Sparkle. “We have a long train ride ahead of us. I’ll explain then.”

“It’s the magic, isn’t it? Rarity’s magic worked on me,” I said.

“There’s more to my theory than that. I hope you’re up for some stories,” Twilight Sparkle said.

I was. Bobbie rolled her eyes. I don’t think punk rock was known for storytelling, at least not in the way Twilight Sparkle was planning.

We boarded the train, having a car to ourselves. Comfortable upholstered benches invited us to stretch out. As the train departed, Twilight cleared her throat. “Let me tell you the story of Hearth’s Warming Eve,” she began.

“Long ago, the three tribes of ponies lived as separate groups. Both the pegasi and the unicorns relied on the earth ponies, with their talent for growing food, to feed them. But the earth ponies, in turn, relied on the pegasi to create the weather, and the unicorns to bring about the sun’s daily rise, for these elements were necessary for their crops to grow. This begrudging relationship continued for years, until one unrelenting winter.

“The winter was beyond the power of either pegasus wingpower or unicorn magic to control. And, of course, nothing could grow in the cold. The three tribes accused each other of being responsible for the winter, and they grew further and further apart. Eventually, all realized they would have to abandon their home, and seek shelter where winter could not reach. They departed separately.

“Whether by coincidence or providence, the three tribes arrived at the same land, an unspoiled paradise. Yet their tensions came with them, and their fighting resumed. And as they fought, winter descended on the new land. Even as winter threatened to end all life, the obdurate leaders continued to bicker. Only when the leaders were completely consumed by winter did the other ponies find that they had no reason to hate each other. They discovered the winter was not natural, but brought by windigoes, evil spirits that feed on hatred and convert it into deadly cold.

“Only by putting aside their hatred, and recognizing that they were all first and foremost ponies, did the three tribes defeat the windigoes. Now, joined together in harmony, the three tribes worked together to build the land of Equestria.”

“And they all lived happily ever after,” added Bobbie.

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes widened. “Yes! You’ve heard this story?”

“No, Twilight Sparkle. Bobbie’s just quoting the well-known ending to a kind of story we call fairy tales,” I said. “In case you actually have fairies here, perhaps the term you use is a fable.”

Twilight Sparkle nodded. “A fable is a good term. The tale has few specifics, and nopony has ever found the past pony home spoken of in this story. I told you this story because I want to know what you humans know of harmony.”

“Harmony?” exclaimed Bobbie. “There’s wars all over the Middle East, hostages in Iran, planes being hijacked, murders, the ever-looming threat of total nuclear annihilation, and radio thinks we should be hearing songs about piña coladas?” But I kind of like that song, I thought.

“I think that’s a little pessimistic,” I said. “There are so many good things humans do, and we can form close relationships, especially in smaller groups. But I live in a city of eight hundred thousand humans. There’s no possible way I can meet them all, let alone be friends with them.”

Twilight Sparkle’s jaw dropped. “Eight… hundred… thousand?”

“That’s not even a large city,” I continued. “Bobbie, how many people live in New York?”

“Something like seven million,” she said. “More, if you count Jersey. And I don’t.”

Twilight Sparkle shook her head. “I’d like to hear more about your relationships, your friendships, your human harmony. Bobbie, I haven’t had much of a chance to talk to you. Would you please tell me more about yourself? What makes you happy?”

“My life revolves around my passion, punk rock,” Bobbie said. “When I first heard it, it inspired me like nothing before it. I’ve been on my own for several years, living in New York City, the heart of the scene. I publish the zine London Falling with other fans, plus do some other odd jobs. It’s not the easiest job, but I wouldn’t give it up for anything.” Bobbie reached into her saddlebags, and pulled out two copies of a handmade magazine, giving them to me and Twilight Sparkle. It was typed, with grainy photos, a haphazard layout, and an editing style that could only be described as stream of conscience. Production-wise, it’s probably the best quality work she could have done with little budget and 1980 technology. But there’s no doubt it was passionate work.

“Fortunately, the scene is quite supportive, helping each other when we need help. But some aren’t quite as supportive. There are quite a few men that think women just don’t understand punk rock, even as they have to ignore the Slits and Poly Styrene. They’re probably happy I’m in a land of princesses and ponies.”

“So you are closest to a small group of people, even though you don’t always agree?” Twilight Sparkle inquired.

“I guess,” Bobbie said. “What we share is more important.”

“So, how about you, John?” asked Twilight Sparkle.

“Much the same, I guess. One of the big differences is my best friends are people I’ve never met,” I said. I contemplated the best way to explain this. “In the present day, technology allows for easy communication over any distance, at any time, and it’s easy for people with similar interests to find each other. Imagine you created a new piece of music, and imagine you could place it somewhere where anyone who liked that kind of music could listen to it. Then they could give you feedback on it, or even use it to inspire their own creation.”

“That could revolutionize magical research!” said Twilight Sparkle. She looked like she was ready to create a magical version of the Internet right this moment.

I continued with my explanation. “Due to the nature of my interest, it will never be my job. That’s why I’ll need to figure out what to do with my life. I’ll need to get a college degree, and hopefully find a career that isn’t too bad. I’ll need to earn a living, and delivering pizzas just won’t do it.”

“So humans don’t know what their special talents are? When I met you, John, I thought your special talent was magic, because that’s what your cutie mark shows,” said Twilight Sparkle.

I visibly cringed at hearing that awful name again. “No, humans don’t get… marks. A lucky few will discover their talent, and that talent will be something they can earn a living doing. The mark on my own flank represents something I’m most passionate about.”

Twilight Sparkle summoned a scroll and quill. “My main observations so far are as follows: There are too many humans to build close friendships. There are stresses in the form of population, not knowing one’s talent, and the importance of earning a living, even if it’s not your special talent. These stresses are obstacles to finding harmony.”

I thought Twilight Sparkle’s summary served to highlight how alien a world this is. “There’s one thing I’ll add,” I said. “The closest thing to harmony, the thing that brings large groups of humans together, is facing a grave threat. Unfortunately, those threats normally come from other humans. So we’re more like those separate tribes in your fable.”

Twilight Sparkle made a few additions to her scroll, and then set it down. “Now, I have another story, the tale of Night Mare Moon,” she said.

“Long ago, two sisters ruled the peaceful land of Equestria. The older sister represented the sun, and the younger sister the moon. But the younger sister grew jealous of the attention focused on the older sister and the sun, and so she became the wicked spirit known as Night Mare Moon. With a heavy heart, the older sister banished her younger sister to the moon, and her story was all but forgotten. But it was foretold that after one thousand years, on the longest day of the year, Night Mare Moon would return, and bring with her a reign of perpetual night.

“What was thought to be legend by all but one pony was in fact true. Night Mare Moon returned, and that one pony knew Night Mare Moon could only be banished with the power of the Elements of Harmony, artifacts of legend. Joining together with her friends, these ponies journeyed into the foreboding wilderness, seeking the Elements of Harmony in the abandoned castle where the sisters once ruled. Night Mare Moon placed challenge upon challenge in front of these brave ponies, but they persevered. They reached the castle, and uncovered the Elements, in the form of ancient stones. But before their power could be unlocked, Night Mare Moon destroyed the Elements. Yet all was not lost, for the power of the Elements was not within the ancient physical forms, but in the hearts of the ponies themselves. Each pony represented one of the Elements: honesty, kindness, laughter, generosity, and loyalty. Together with the lost sixth element, the magic that comes from friendship, the six ponies banished the spirit Night Mare Moon, and restored the true, kind nature of the younger sister.”

“Another ancient fable?” said Bobbie.

“No,” replied Twilight Sparkle. “That actually happened, about a year and a half ago. And both of you have met some of the Elements. The consequences of these meetings are what have made it so urgent for you to journey to Canterlot with me.

“John, when Rainbow Dash introduced you to me, she thought you were crazy. She saw a unicorn who couldn’t use magic, and had a hard time even walking. Her thought that you needed to be sent to an institution seemed like an overreaction to me. But now I see she was trying to abandon you, even though she is the Element of Loyalty.

“Fluttershy experienced an emotion I’ve never seen her exhibit, one so unlike her that she couldn’t even say it. The Element of Kindness should never feel hate.

“Then, when I tried to cast spells upon you, they simply didn’t work. For the Element of Magic to be unable to perform any magic was unfathomable. I searched for an explanation for this most unusual happening. But then it occurred to me that my magic had been working without incident, until the moment I directed it towards you.

“Finally, this morning’s visit with Rarity demonstrated that the reason for my magic’s failure wasn’t you, but me, or rather the interaction between you and me. It also revealed another unusual behavior. Did you see how Rarity was unwilling to create a cloak for you, until I described it as a favor to me? Rather curious behavior for the Element of Generosity, don’t you think?

“The only conclusion I can reach is that, for whatever reason, your presence in this world interferes with the harmony upon which we, the Elements, ultimately rely. Thus, it is urgent to seek the counsel of Princess Celestia and her advisors.”

“So we’re a bad influence?” said Bobbie. “Not like I haven’t heard that one before,” she muttered.

“Only in one way, Bobbie,” Twilight Sparkle replied. “John, you got to meet more of the citizens of Ponyville. Did you feel like you were a bad influence?”

“Not really,” I said. “Every pony I met was friendly. Well, there was that one moment where Pinkie Pie laughed at my pathetic first attempt to drink out of a cup, but then she did something else to make everyone laugh.”

“Hmmm. Also unusual.” Twilight Sparkle made another note on her scroll.

With Twilight Sparkle again focusing on her work, I finally got a chance to observe the Equestrian countryside passing outside the window. It was beautiful, as if pulled from the pages of a storybook. A gleaming castle dominated the city we were approaching, which I assumed to be Canterlot. The architecture of the city looked unnatural, like something that could only be created in a world where magic could tell gravity to look the other way. Truly remarkable.


About half an hour later, the train pulled into the station. Twilight Sparkle put away her notes, and gently nudged Bobbie awake; she had fallen back asleep just moments after Twilight Sparkle finished her second tale. Upon disembarking, I was struck by how different Canterlot was. The city looked more urban and the ponies looked more urbane. Clothing was far more popular here; though not covering their bodies completely, I could see the resemblance to high-society styles back home. Whereas Ponyville was Norman Rockwell, Canterlot was Puttin’ on the Ritz.

We headed immediately to the castle. Inside, it resembled what I remember of Earth castles, but there was far more color in the stone. We arrived at a pair of giant doors. The armored unicorn guards, who I saw wielding spears instead of firearms, nodded to Twilight Sparkle, then opened the doors.

The royal audience chamber was simply breathtaking. Large windows, some in stained glass, flooded the room with sunlight. The floor was gleaming marble tile. A plush red carped lined the path to a raised dais, with a golden throne that looked three times as tall as it needed to be. The throne was empty, but four more unicorn guards stoically stood guard nearby.

Of more interest to me was the assembled group of ponies who weren’t part of the castle’s staff. There were a number of older-looking ponies, mostly unicorns, who definitely had a scholarly look to them. Some were wearing stylish attire, while others had that rumpled look that just screamed “professor” in my mind. One of the professors hurried to speak to Twilight Sparkle; they then left through one of the room’s rear doors.

Of all the ponies there, I was drawn to another unicorn, not quite as old as the rest, and who had a familiar fish out of water look to him. He had a yellow coat and electric blue mane, and a mark on his flank showing three of the Platonic solids, in different colors.

Bobbie and I walked up to the new unicorn. “So, what are you in for?” I joked.

“Is it that obvious I don’t belong here?” he replied, laughing nervously. “Name’s Dan Brooks. I’m 37, divorced, no kids, currently living by myself outside Milwaukee. I’m your typical computer geek, handling system installations and managing the network at my office.

“Now, picture this. Two days ago, I was out, jogging before work. There’s a nice walking trail in my subdivision; it winds among the neighborhoods and through the adjacent park. So, I’m in the park area, I suddenly see red, and then I open my eyes to find myself here, and looking like this.”

“A red flash. Sounds familiar,” said Bobbie.

“The same weirdness happened to both of us,” I said. “I have a few questions; I’m wondering if there’s some pattern to our situations I can figure out. First question, just to be sure: you’re human, right?”

“Uh, yeah,” Dan said. “Guess that isn’t obvious anymore.”

“Second, what was the day, including year, when you left?”

“July 16th, 1998,” Dan responded.

“Interesting. You’re both from the past, then, but Bobbie is from even further in the past,” I said.

“Last I saw, it was 1980,” Bobbie added.

And finally, why didn’t you mention your big interest?” I motioned to his mark. “I somehow doubt you’re a geometer.”

Dan scratched the back of his head nervously. “Yeah, I don’t normally talk about my hobbies a lot.”

“I can’t help feeling that our biggest passions are somehow important to us being here,” I said. “So, talk about your hobby as if I were a fellow gamer.”

“I was introduced to Dungeons & Dragons back in high school,” Dan started. “I’ve never stopped playing, really. My basement has a pretty impressive collection of rule books, published adventures, and miniatures. I started a campaign during college, and this core group of friends has continued to meet twice a month, for nearly two decades. My best man and two of my groomsmen were my fellow players. Our campaign has survived graduation, new jobs, marriages, children, Second Edition, collectible card games, and the demise of TSR. As far as I’m concerned, being polymorphed into a unicorn and sent to another world is not an acceptable excuse for missing the game! It’s Saturday back home, and I should be rolling some dice right now.”

I nodded politely. I only had a vague idea how the game worked, but it was obvious he was a lot more passionate about this than he was about his job.

“The worst part is, I can’t figure out how to use any of the unicorn’s powers. I could quote you the Monster Manual rules for unicorns, but I can’t figure out how to teleport or heal,” Dan said.

“I haven’t the faintest idea how to fly, either,” said Bobbie.

“I’m perfectly content to never find out, if it means I can go home,” I said.

Our conversation was interrupted by the clarion call of numerous trumpeters. I looked up. All eyes gazed towards the throne. Three of the unicorns, including a returned Twilight Sparkle, stood nearest the throne, on the red carpet. Warmth and brightness filled the room as a truly majestic creature entered the room. More than twice the size of ponies, she bore both the horn of a unicorn and the wings of a pegasus. Her coat was pure white, and her flowing mane, which sparkled, appeared to be woven from pastel sunlight. I was flooded with sensations: power, grace, peace, authority, love.

All around the room, the ponies bowed to the princess. I immediately imitated their gestures, stretching out my forelegs and lowering my head to the floor. My rear hooves lost their purchase on the smooth marble tile, however, and I ended up unceremoniously sprawled on my stomach. I glanced up. Dan had lowered his head, while Bobbie defiantly did nothing.

“Rise, my little ponies.” The princess’ voice was soothing, yet still demanded respect. All in the room rose. “We have gathered to discuss the unusual events of the last two days and how we can help those most affected by these events. Professor Silver Galaxy, please begin with your report.”

One of the three unicorns up front, an elderly gray unicorn, responded. “Three nights ago, the celestial recorders at Atallama Observatory registered an incredibly powerful outburst of energy, stretching from Canterlot into the heavens. The energy signatures showed both an incredible power level, and acted in ways never seen before by ponykind.”

“Professor Bluesight, your conclusions?” directed Princess Celestia.

“The professors and students of Royal Canterlot University, acting under my direction, were able to isolate seven distinct energy signatures underlying the observed phenomenon,” said the blue unicorn. “Each represented an act of magic unprecedented in history, a connection that traveled not only through space and time, but across dimensions. Each signature represented the act of bringing one individual from this other dimension to Equestria. Yesterday, we studied the subject ‘Dan’ in detail, finding he corresponds to the third energy signature.”

“Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student. Tell me about your new friends,” said Princess Celestia.

“Two days ago, I met John, an individual from a world he called the ‘human world,’” said Twilight Sparkle. “Although transformed into the body of a unicorn, he maintained possession of artifacts from the human world, showing creatures and glimpses of a world unlike anything we’ve seen, or imagined. Later, I met Bobbie, also from the human world, but from further in the past. Both are good as individuals, but their world does not know harmony as we do. I have communicated my findings to you, Princess Celestia, and I urge you to send them home.”

“Professor Bluesight, have you determined the way to reestablish connections with this other world and reverse the transfer?” asked the princess.

“We have finally computed the magical energies that can reverse the transfer. The ritual involved will be delicate, Princess. The transfer must by necessity involve magic of a power only you or your sister could control, but due to the nature of the destination, the magic used must fade to nothingness at the precise end of this virtual tunnel. Without this technique, a stable pathway can never be established.”

“Thank you, my subjects,” said Princess Celestia. “I have good news to report. When we first learned of what happened, Luna spread word via certain channels to be on the lookout for unusual ponies. We have found the other four guests to Equestria. All are en route to Canterlot, and will arrive tomorrow morning. Two were found in Fillydelphia, and two in Appleoosa, by Twilight’s dear friend, Applejack.

“I have further asked the remaining Elements of Harmony to journey to Canterlot. I do this only as a precaution.

“Now, I must bid you leave. There remains much to be done.” Princess Celestia rose, and with a different clarion call, departed the audience chamber.

Professor Bluesight and Twilight Sparkle both walked over to the three of us humans. “Professor Bluesight wanted to meet you, and figure out which of the seven you were,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“May I suggest we head out to the courtyard first?” he said. “It is a fine day.”

We looked at each other, and shrugged. “Sure,” I said.


The sun above the castle was perfectly positioned to illuminate the courtyard. An artful arrangement of trees and flowers added life to the bright stone walls and metal fixtures. Once in the center of the courtyard, Professor Bluesight’s horn glowed, and magic lightly flowed over us. “John, you were drawn here by the first signature, and Bobbie, you are the seventh.”

“What does that even mean?” asked Bobbie.

“We have ordered the seven signatures by the amount of time displacement,” explained the professor. “That means that John, you are from closest to the present date, and Bobbie, you are furthest.”

“I’m from the past too?” I said. Now that I said it, I realized it was a pretty silly assumption that my time had to be the present date.

“Yes, all of you are. If can let me know the relative difference between your two times, I can tell you approximately what the present date is in your world.”

“It was April 9th, 2008 where… when I came from,” I said.

“October 26th, 1980,” said Bobbie.

“That’s 28… 27 and a half years. A little less,” I said.

Professor Bluesight’s horn glowed. An abacus appeared out of nowhere, and he performed calculations with ease and grace. “The present day is approximately four of your years from your own time, John.”

What was so special about 2012? The end of the world? But I thought that was supposed to happen later in that year.

“In any case, we unicorns working on the unified theory believe that time is a constant force through the universe, no matter what the dimension. A second in your world is a second in ours,” explained Professor Bluesight. “Your world proves that magic is not present at the same level, but we believe time is the same.”

“Do you have any idea why we were pulled from the same place, but different times?” asked Dan.

“Honestly, I have no idea. There’s no pattern I could discern to the time displacements,” said Professor Bluesight. “As for the question of place, I suggest that it so difficult to cross dimensions, that opening pathways to multiple dimensions at the same time would be an order of magnitude more difficult. Compared to that, different times are trivial. Why, a skilled unicorn can master a simple time travel spell.”

“Don’t remind me,” said Twilight Sparkle. “Professor, I would like to help you with your final calculations.”

“I think we have everything under control,” replied the professor.

“Please, Professor. It is crucial that this ritual works!” she said urgently.

Rainbow colors danced across the courtyard as Princess Celestia gracefully glided towards us. She flew in behind Twilight Sparkle and Professor Bluesight, so Twilight did not notice her arrival. Her pleading with the professor was interrupted by Princess Celestia tenderly placing her horn atop Twilight Sparkle’s head.

“Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student,” she said gently. “I understand how much you want to help. But please don’t forget that there are three guests here, who are alone and in need of a friend. And who best to share with them the magic of friendship than you?”

“Princess,” she started.

“Twilight Sparkle, spend a day away from your research. Show our guests around Canterlot. And please, have some fun,” the princess ordered. She spoke kindly, but there was no doubt it was an order.

“Yes, Princess,” replied Twilight Sparkle. “John, Bobbie, Dan, I think I know just where to start.”