• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 629 Views, 2 Comments

Legends of Equestria: The Tale of Two Sisters - Luna Sapphire



A tale of Celestia and Luna in their journey to free Equestria from the shadow of the Nightmare ponies.

  • ...
 2
 629

Magical Champion

Luna woke up no long after. Sapphire was still fast asleep but Flame was still awake.

"Something wrong, Princess?" He asked.

"No, just feeling better. You're still awake?"

"Watching the storm. It's still pretty strong, I don't know how much longer we have to wait here. We have just a few provisions."

"You brought provisions?" Luna was surprised.

"We figured we might have to wait in a shelter until the storm passes."

They were quiet for a time. Luna was getting bored. Flare looked at her, then she noticed something and decided to ask a question.

"That mark on your hoof. All of you have? It's a symbol or..."

"Well, a story will help pass the time."

-MLP- -MLP-

Felix sat beside the girls, they didn't notice, continuing the story.

-MLP- -MLP-

Long ago, a group of nomadic ponies, as we, came to a land in the fire mountains. None of them knew that the land was inhabited by dragons. At first they fought for land, but somehow managed to reach an agreement. A blood pact was made, a union between the races, creating the dragon-ponies, more powerful ponies tip to meet the challenges of one of the hottest places on the planet.

This is the largest union has taken between two different races. And for a long time, both lived in peace and harmony. So, Dark Spectre, one pony from distant lands who apparently had just happened in the mountains. She was gently welcomed by the ponies, but the Dragons wasn't amused.

Then strange things began to happen. Bad things, and each side blamed the other. This separated ponies and dragons, causing a second war, a war far worse, in the middle of which Dark disappeared and there was an eruption in the mountains.

"Our group tried to bring peace to the two races, but failed, so we left our home in search of a new land and a little peace." Flame finished his story, a little upset.

"They ended up in an even worse war." Luna muttered.

"Maybe it was fate that brought us here, maybe not. But whatever, I'm sure you'll find everything you seek in the end."

"You're pretty optimistic, Flame. I wanted to have this spirit too." Luna smiled.

"Just don't look down, Princess, you can only fly higher to believe."

"Mom said the same thing."

"You miss her, don't you?"

Luna nodded silently.

"And you? Your family came with you?"

"I never knew my family. One of my cousins raised me and my brother, Pyro, but she never told us what happened to our parents. But she honestly thought we were a nuisance in her life, so we ended up running away with the Caravan of Flames."

"I'm sorry."

Both were silent again, then Flame trotted to the entrance of the cave, that Luna discovered be covered by a layer of snow. Then he melted and the top of the barrier.

"The storm has passed." He announced lively, melting the remaining snow.

Luna trotted up to him and watched the sky.

"Yeah, but another will fall back soon. Think we can wake up Lady Sapphire?"

"No problem. Snow isn't the best thing for a dragon-pony, but she will not die if we fly back to the castle."

Luna smiled.

"Before we go, I wanted to thank you for the story. You didn't owed me an explanation, but you still told me it."

"We like stories. They warm the heart and soul and it makes us stronger."

"I also like stories. Especially during a blizzard. But about the prophecy?"

"Don't worry about it. We make our destiny. Prophecies are warnings, hypotheses, the closest of your destiny by the time it's. We never know which choice will lead that way, worrying about it can drive you crazy."

"Well, we better get going then. I don't want to be caught in the middle of the next storm."

-MLP- -MLP-

"Can I ask you something?" Felix decided to interrupt.

"What is it?" Sunny asked, calmly.

"You believe in those things? Believe that these stories are real? May your mother has really crossed the barrier between worlds? Let there be others?"

"Others like the Heroes Among Worlds? I dunno. I think it isn't important. About believe in the stories?" Sunny looked at Moonlight for a moment. "I believe that everything is real as you choose to believe, then why not? Now about our mother cross the barrier between worlds... I don't think it exists. Whatever gave you that idea?"

"He told me the story of the lost heroes, the twin spirits, the labyrinth and the shadow of nightmares. You two don't know the stories told by your own family?"

He, should mean the girl's grandfather.

The history of the labyrinth Sunny knew. Not told to Moon because she didn't think her sister, aged ten, was ready, even if their parents were the same age when it happened. But she had no idea of the rest.

"And you, Felix. Believe? " Moonlight asked.

He stood up.

"No. You also shouldn't. It'll only bring you trouble. Good afternoon, ladies. Try not to blow anything else." And with that, he left the apartment of the two sisters.

- MLP - MLP -

Minor accidents seemed far away after a week, although the shadow of the greatest tragedies that had happened still remain, and the urgency of taking action seemed to have increased.

Storms fell constants, without bringing any more danger, beyond the challenge of trying to keep warm at that time. A break in the storms allowed King Illusion back to his kingdom. The unresolved issue between him and Princess Celestia had been left aside after all the accidents. The storms would delay any action of the Council at that time.

The break had been enough for the travelers to resume their way, but rather they had stayed. They didn't need to do it, nor had not been asked for or owed something to the ponies living there, but they helped during the storm and stayed to help again until the weather stabilizes. But seemed to have something more behind that decisions.

Then came a larger second break in the storms, bringing bad news and end the state of peace that hovered over the Northern Kingdom. The Council summoned a meeting of the most powerful Unicorns of the Circle of Hope, after the end of the storm season, for a tournament. The winner would be the one sent on a mission to meet the troops of the largest colony of Unicorns out there, and build an army to face Nightmare.

But the two Princesses were concerned. That wouldn't work. No army was enough to face Nightmare. It was a suicide mission, but they couldn't convince the Council, even the Unicorns who had offered to try, King Illusion among them, who claimed to have found a spell in an old book that should help. Celestia wasn't sure about that and talking with Sapphire Sky and Jasmine FoxSparkle, she found out that everything had great chance of going wrong. The magic in Illusion's book was very similar to the magic of Dark Spectre, chaos magic, used by Unicorns.

Celestia was worried about what would happen, but no one here would listen to reason. Not that she could blame them. They were all desperate to accept any solution that could save them. She just believed that this wasn't one of them.

She saw her sister, Flame and Ice Light, one of the magicians deer, still young, of course by the horns just starting to grow. He seemed to try to teach some sort of spell to Luna, as she tried to follow the dragon-pegasus in an aerial maneuver. There didn't seemed to be going very well, but Luna laughed.

For a moment Celestia had forgotten how her sister could be optimistic in the face of situations that could overcome after the first shock. Celestia worried about her was during these periods.

"I see you're worried, Princess." Sapphire Sky approached. "It's about your sister?"

"Not really. Thanks again for having saved her. Luna can be a little reckless sometimes. But what really worries me is all the rest. Storms should have stopped at this point. Nightmares are sighted frequently on the border and this tournament is crazy! My mother cared for when this day would come. I learned pretty much every spell books in this library and some more. Still, even I didn't feel ready to face Nightmare. That would be suicide!"

"And you're worried about Lord Illusion then?"

"What worries me about Illusion is this obsession with this strange kind of magic."

"You know, Princess. When things like this happen, someone has to do something. Nopony is always ready to fulfill the journey ahead, but somepony has to try, and it often learn things along the way and when least noticed, it find the what needed where it least expected. The journey help make you ready. help make you complete."

"Are you saying that would I try? And may I have more power than I think and be more prepared than I believe?" Celestia asked, confused.

"No. You're not ready yet. This is not our war, Princess, and we usually do not intrude, but I lost a lot since we left, your victory the least ensure safe passage through this land. I think my experience as queen gives me the right to say what they really need is a trully magic champion. The heart of an Earth Pony, the courage of a Pegasus and the magical power of an Alicorn."

Celestia looked at her blankly. An Alicorn was exactly it a balance of power among the three races, Unicorns, Pegasus and Earth Ponies, but what Sapphire said just didn't make sense and yet Celestia felt she had meant exactly that.

"I have a question, Celestia. Regard would you be willing to sacrifice to protect them?"

"Even my life if necessary."

"I have a risky plan. I will be leaving soon after the tournament, but we have a winner for you. But we will need your power if we want to win. But you will also need the power of a dragon. These spells last complete your magical training. I'm sure it will work. Trust me?"

"I trust." Celestia nodded. Anything for her kingdom.

"I will talk to Pyro. We start tomorrow."

Luna watched curiously her sister training. What was happening there?

Flame landed beside her in the cloud.

"Ready to try that maneuver again, Princess?" He asked.

"Not now. You know what Sapphire is planning to Celestia?"

Flame watched for a moment.

"I do not know. It is possible to teach control of flames to any unicorn or mage, but the deer do not get along with fire and it is not advisable to give thid power to common ponies, can be very dangerous if it goes wrong." He thought. But who knows she has a plan?"

"Ice said the same thing about teaching me these things."

"And you insisted that would save your life when the time came. Did not tell me the time of that, but I trusted your judgment, Princess."

"Exactly! I had a plan. But what Celestia would want with ancient magic?"

"Bet it will save her life later also." He smiled, a smile of someone who knew more than his words revealed, but Luna knew he wouldn't say. If there was one thing she had learned about dragon-ponies was that they never tell secrets.

The next few days passed without storms and no more than two attempts to attack of the Nightmares and a lost bunch of wolves. A normal time to the North Kingdom of the Circle of Hope, except that, everywhere, the most powerful Unicorn warriors in the kingdom prepared for the Council's tournament.

Celestia had something to say about it: All that determination and courage seemed to strengthen the protection of the realms.

Between all her work as a princess, she had trainings with fire and ancient magic, with Sapphire and Pyro.

Celestia could hide well, but it was easy to see that Luna wasn't very well with all that happenings since their parents' death. It was like she was training to fill every minute of her free time. But sometimes, when all the other ponies were asleep, they left the masks crash down and the feelings flow, Luna ended up crying before falling asleep and Celestia sometimes had nightmares.

But those moments made them be more aware of what they were doing and gave them certain it was the right thing, gave them courage and determination to continue.

Then the day of the tournament finally arrived. Was about to start and Luna was concerned, there was no sign of her sister nowhere, what had happened?

"Something wrong, Princess?" Flame and Ice approached with a reverence.

"Just wondering Celestia has not yet appeared. you think it's time?" She asked.

The two exchanged a look, then Ice replied.

"Not yet, Princess. It will be good you attend at the tournament, mainly because your sister is not here and the ponies of the Council are. Lets wait."

Luna nodded. She had prepared for this moment for so long and was ready. But she couldn't help thinking that her two assistants seemed to be hiding something important, probably to do with the disappearance of her sister.

"Don't mess with fate." She heard Ice whispering someday.

"I'm not. Only giving a hoof. Pyro told me..." Flame replied.

"He trusted you. Use your knowledge wisely, is what all Unicorns and Mages learn first. Certain Pegasus who they know more than they should should learn that too."

"Tell that to the Queen, then. I'm sure Dahlia would be happy to be my magic helper. She knows as much as you to the end."

"No. If you go I will go, too. Rather only that none of us did."

"It's for our own good and theirs. Neither of us will regret it if it works."

"But what if it fails?"

"Then we can consider ourselves dead, friend. Everyone. But it will work. Queen Sapphire said."

"Inaccurate magic. You know that."

"I guarantee. Trust me!"

Of course, they didn't know until today that Luna had heard the conversation and she couldn't help but think that had to do with her fate. Anyway, she wasn't complaining. They were doing exactly what she wanted and guarantee her goal to be fulfilled... So she decided to stop thinking and enjoy the last hours before darkness. A darkness that might last forever...

When the tournament ended with an unsurprising victory of Illusion, though Luna had been impressed with the spells used by him, there was still no sign of Celestia nowhere and Luna had finally given the lack of Sapphire Sky too.

Deciding to ignore it, she ensured that nobody was paying attention to her and started to leave the arena when a voice in the crowd shouted:

"Wait!"

So Sapphire Sky appeared with two guards and a fourth pony, a white mare, with flaming mane, wearing a golden armor. Unlike the others she had just dragon wings, the rest looking like an ordinary unicorn. Her eyes also had a glow like a flame.

The mysterious pony stepped forward.

"I'm Solar Flare, first warrior of the clan flames and I challenge you to a duel!"

Luna noted Solar totally surprised. The voice sounded familiar, but something about her, but her didn't seem real, like a majestic and fiery illusion. And she wasn't in the group when Luna received them, each of them had presented to her, and although ten minutes later she no longer remembered even half of the names, she would know if she had ever seen somepony like that mare.

Illusion seemed, if possible, even more stunned than she.

Then began the most magical duel that anyone there had ever seen. Solar Flare was skilled, especially with fire and transformations. Serious and confident, she did not waver even for a second, looked totally concentrated and yet so far from her work. Still, her skill with magic was amazing, as to leave even Illusion stunned.

And a question hung in the air. Who was Solar Flare and from where she had come?