• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 1,134 Views, 12 Comments

Octavia x Rarity - Ryan Hambrick



Shipping of Octavia (Treble Cleft) and Rarity

  • ...
3
 12
 1,134

Chapter 5 Some Drinks With a New Friend

Chapter 5: Some Drinks With a New Friend

Rarity opened the door with a hoof and slightly poked her head into the doorway walking in.

"Octavia, are you o-!" Rarity cut off as she was pounced on by Octavia who gave her a very strong hug. Rarity was shocked to see Octavia do anything out of the ordinary, and had only expected her to be putting her cello away at this point.

"Rarity, thank you so much for the dress!" Octavia said delightedly, "It's the most amazing dress in all of Equestria, even Celestia herself will envy it!" she smiled as she hugged tighter. Rarity was happy that Octavia had liked her dress and even happier at the comment she had given her. Rarity blushed softly at Octavia’s sweet words and thanked her for the compliment.

“Listen, Octavia,” Rarity said slowly, “If you’re not too busy tonight, maybe we could go have a drink?” Octavia’s ears pricked up as she started to put her cello away. Rarity worried for a moment, fearing that she had overstepped her bounds and started moving her hoof on the floor side to side as she watched it, “That is, if you want to at least.” She said more softly. When Rarity looked up, Octavia had moved much closer to her than where she was when she was putting her cello away.

“Why would you think I wouldn’t want to have a drink with you Rarity?” she asked, completely forgetting the first time they had met. After the concert and getting a beautiful dress, who could remember anything as trivial as a little bit of unintentional anger? “Of course I’d love to have a drink with you, and I’m not too busy tonight, did you have any place in mind?” Octavia asked her. Rarity stood shocked at Octavia’s response, she could do nothing for a long while other than stare into Octavia’s beautiful eyes. She shook her head swiftly, trying to regain control of her vocal cords so that she could speak to her again.

“Well, the first time I came to Canterlot for a designer contest, I found a quaint little bar down near the Palace District’s entrance.” Rarity said. It brought back the memories of that first night Octavia had met Rarity, and she remembered the glass that was sitting on the table when she had arrived.
“I’m actually quite familiar with that bar.” Octavia said smiling at Rarity. “I guess you have a rather refined taste, don’t you Miss Rarity.” She commented winking at her. “I’ll just need a few moments to pack my things up and clean the room, I’ll be out in front of the theatre to meet you shortly.” She said, bowing her head humbly to Rarity, in an apology for making her wait.

Rarity stood outside the theatre as ponies slowly started to filter out. She was amazed at all of the beautiful ponies who had come in to watch the concert. She noted nice dress designs that she had never used before, and looked easy enough to incorporate, but she wondered if she could even remember them with all her thoughts spiraling around. She looked around, seeing that everypony had exited the theatre at this point, and cleaning ponies took their places cleaning up the messes that some ponies left behind. Not too long after those ponies showed up, Octavia emerged from the theatre behind Rarity tapping her right flank with her tail as she came up on her left side, playfully bumping flanks with her.

“Calm down Rarity.” She smiled a beautiful white smile. “No need to be worried, it’s just a few drinks between friends.” She winked at her. Rarity blushed slightly, hiding behind her lush purple mane. Octavia couldn’t help but giggle at Rarity when she did this, and began to lead Rarity out the doors. “I hope you don’t mind, I need to drop off my cello back home, but it’s on the way.” Octavia said. Rarity was actually delighted that she would see where such an eloquent pony lived, but couldn’t find the words to tell Octavia how excited it made her. She decided it was probably better that way; she obviously didn’t want to freak her new friend out.

They neared a rather large house that seemed very regal. It had golden trim along the walls and the door also had gold trim and was made of red mahogany, a wood only found deep in the Everfree forest, dangerous for any pony to find, and expensive too. Octavia took out some keys from one of the other pockets in the cello case and put it into the door. She twisted it, pulling back on the door so that the bolt could click out of the wall. When she had turned the key all the way, there was no sound.

“Oh, silly me, I must have forgotten to lock the house again.” Octavia grumbled to herself for not remembering. From how she spoke, Rarity could tell that she had done this quite a few times and always promised herself not to let it happen again. She sighed at her forgetfulness and pushed open the door. “Feel free to come in, Rarity, it’ll take a little bit to hang up this dress and put my cello up, but I’ll be right down.” Octavia took up the red stairs to her room, and allowed Rarity to walk in.

Rarity stood in awe at this house. Her dress shop was one of the most luxurious places in all of Ponyville, but compared to this place, it seemed like a rundown shack in the ghetto. She tried to take it all in, the chandeliers, carpet, everything.

“Do I look okay?” Octavia asked in her usual voice as she came back down the stairs, her hair slightly styled like Twilight's, except on both sides of her neck. Her black mane hung beautifully down to the tops of her legs. Rarity could not speak as she stood with her mouth slightly opened at the beautiful pony that stood before her. She nodded, trying to close her mouth as she didn't want to seem rude. Octavia giggled at Rarity and walked up next to her, "You won't be able to drink anything if you keep your mouth open." she said smiling at Rarity as she helped turn her around towards the door. "Are you ready to go?" She asked.

"Y-yes!" Rarity said excitedly after her brain started to function again as she followed Octavia out the door. Octavia giggled again as she closed the door behind her and began to walk towards the bar. "Um, Octavia?" Rarity said questioningly, Octavia turned around to see what was wrong. "Don't you think you should lock the door behind us?" Rarity asked her. Octavia cocked her head to the side, thinking she had already locked the door behind them, and as she started to remember what had happened only seconds before, she slammed her hoof to her forehead.

"Thank you Rarity." She said smiling as she locked her door. As she passed Rarity to lead her to the bar, she bumped flanks with her. "What would I do without you?" she smiled at her. Rarity was extremely happy and somewhat surprised at the behavior that she was witnessing. Was this really the same mare she had met at the Gala? She started to question if this were just an elaborate prank, knowing Rainbow Dash, that guess may not be very far off. But after seeing the performance, Rarity knew that this Octavia was no imposter. She shook the thoughts away and followed the grey mare to a small bar.

Rarity remembered this bar from the night she had first talked to Octavia, it was a small little place near the edge of the Palace District and didn't really stick out amongst the other buildings. If a pony didn't know better, they may even think it was just another house among the shops that dotted the circle around the fountain. This had been the fountain that Octavia had played at encouraging Rarity to continue on the beautiful dress. Rarity's eyes glimmered at the water that was being shot out of the fountain and into the night sky. She ran over to it, which drew Octavia's attention.

"Octavia, look how beautiful the stars are tonight." she said as Octavia came over to stand beside her. "I've never seen such a beautiful night sky." Her eyes were bursting with excitement and awe at the sky, Octavia smiled at her and leaned against her softly.

"It sure is a beautiful night." Octavia replied. "It makes me sad that Princess Luna doesn't get as much credit as her sister, but I suppose being gone for a thousand years makes some ponies question what your role is anymore." Octavia said, noticing she had changed their conversation to a political matter, which was not befitting of sharing drinks. She quickly changed the subject. "We should probably head inside, it is rather cold tonight after all. And we wouldn't want you catching a cold now would we?" She smiled as she turned and drug her tail against Rarity's side. Rarity smiled at her and followed.
When they entered the bar the barcolt welcomed them one at a time very strangely.

"Octavia, it's nice to see you, how did the performance go?" he asked a hypothetical question as he looked over at Rarity and began to greet her, making sure he got the name right as he waited to see if Octavia would answer. "And Rari- Rarity?! What are you doing here with Octavia?" He asked confused and shocked at the coincidence. Rarity looked confused at first, do we really look like we're coming here together that much? She asked herself, happy that it seemed that way. Octavia answered for her.

"I was rude one night to Rarity at the Gala, and she made me a dress thinking that I was still mad." She smiled as she indirectly told Rarity that she had forgiven her even before the dress was done. "She came to tonight's concert and I asked her if she would like to get a few drinks." Octavia smiled at the barcolt.

"Well, no arguing there I suppose, what'll the two of you have?" Octavia looked at Rarity as she slightly blushed.
"I think we'll each have a shot of that." Octavia pointed to the top shelf Vodka. Rarity gasped at the fact Octavia drank hard liquor, and was even more amazed at her taste in drinks. Octavia smiled as she realized she had impressed Rarity and let the barcolt get some shots poured.

"The first rounds on the house seeing as you must have done such a great performance again." The barcolt smiled at both of them. Both Rarity and Octavia smiled back, thanking him for the kind gesture and then looking at one another, smiling competitively but in a way only friends could. They both gulped down the strong vodka and slammed their shot glasses down for another at the same moment. They both knew they would be here quite a while before one of them one. After they had almost too much to drink, the barcolt told them they'd have to leave and come back tomorrow night if they wanted more. So the two mares walked through the night swaying back and forth catching each other.