• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 1,378 Views, 11 Comments

From Diamonds to Decay - Static Shimmer



The defeat of King Sombra is only the beginning of Celestia and Luna's troubles when they discover his daughter, Nightshade, also has strong magic. Will they manage to keep her good, or will she succumb to the same madness as her father?

  • ...
3
 11
 1,378

Chapter 3

“King Sombra wasn’t always the monster who you witnessed these past few days,” Celestia explained to Cadence as they walked through the grounds of the Crystal Castle, “Over a thousand years ago, he was a Prince from a kingdom at the edge of Equestria. His magic was very powerful, but his heart was full of warmth and light. He visited the Crystal Empire during a great winter celebration, where he caught the eye of Princess Coralie.”

“The last Crystal Princess?” Cadence asked, confused.

“Yes. They fell deeply in love almost instantly, and by the summer they were married. Soon after they became King and Queen, Coralie gave Sombra a daughter. However there was darker magic at work, and soon the Queen fell gravely ill.” Celestia’s voice softened as she remembered the events.

“What kind of dark magic?”

“The Empire itself was created using magic more powerful than anything you could imagine. That kind of magic is hard to control, so it was made into a physical object which would draw upon whatever it could in order to protect the city. You have to understand that this was a time of unrest in Equestria. My relationship with Luna was deteriorating by the day, allowing chaos and darkness to fall across the land since we were both too preoccupied with our own selfishness. When the Crystal Empire came under threat, the Crystal Heart drew upon the light inside its citizens – turning them almost to crystals in the process. Unable to watch her citizens suffer any longer; Queen Coralie cast a spell so that the Crystal Heart would take its power from her alone. However, the strain was too much on the Queen and soon she became very weak. Sombra tried many times to destroy the Crystal Heart but each time his efforts were in vain. The Crystal Ponies did everything they could to try and heal the Queen, but nothing could save her in the end.”

“She gave her life for her citizens?” Cadence asked, concerned that, as the newly appointed Crystal Princess, she may have to do the same.

“It was a very dark time,” Celestia assured Cadence, “The circumstances were extreme.”

“And what about Sombra? And the child?”

“After the death of his wife, he cut off all communication from the Crystal Empire with the rest of Equestria. In his grief, darkness consumed him. He blamed the Crystal Ponies for Coralie’s death, and this hatred grew, blackening his heart. He began to enslave them, treating them with contempt. As the years passed, he became crueller and more ill-tempered. The only love he had in his life was his daughter, but he kept her hidden away in the depths of the castle; fearing that the same fate would befall her as her mother. I tried to reason with him many times to free the Crystal Ponies from their slavery, but he resisted. I managed to convince my sister to aid me in putting an end to his tyranny. We defeated and banished him, but he managed to use his magic to take the Crystal Empire with him. A part of Sombra’s darkness managed to corrupt my sister that day, and not long after, I was forced to banish her as well.”

“How did I not know any of this?” Cadence asked.

“When the Crystal Ponies created the monument to their queen, they chose to not mention Sombra anywhere, ashamed of what he had become. The events were never recorded in any history books . . . If only all those many years ago, I hadn’t let my pride get in the way. If I had reconciled with my sister instead of pushing her away, Equestria wouldn’t have been in such a terrible mess in the first place!” Celestia’s voice wavered as her sense of guilt grew.

Cadence tried her best to console her, “You can’t blame yourself, you weren’t to know how this would end!”

“If I hadn’t been so foolish, that poor filly wouldn’t be suffering the way she is right now.”

Cadence stopped in her tracks and turned to stare at Celestia, “You’re not saying that the pony in the Grand Hall is Sombra’s daughter?”

“I fear that she is.”

“It has been over a thousand years, yet she is just a child. Surely you’re mistaken?”

“It seems that when the Empire disappeared, it became frozen in time. For Equestria, it has been a thousand years, but for them, not even a second had passed.”

Cadence gasped, realising that by defeating Sombra, she had created an orphan, “No wonder she was so scared when I found her . . . What will happen to her now? She’s all alone!”

“I do not know,” Celestia admitted, “For now, I will take her into my care. It is the only way to keep her safe, and to keep others safe from her.”