• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 861 Views, 13 Comments

The Valkyries - StayAwhileAndListen



Strange happenings in Equestria, ponies suddenly vanishing, an unknown force making its move. Fluttershy is taken from her home, and dropped alone in a strange new land.

  • ...
1
 13
 861

Prologue (3): Look At That, I've Mastered Magic

Rainbow Dash could feel something had changed, her entire body seemed to be out of her control. Her wings and legs moved automatically, and she found herself flying above her friends in moments. She stared down at them as they gathered together, listening to words which came out of her mouth, words which she knew were not her own.

“Hm, I always did want to fly.”

“Hey, I didn't mean to say that!” Rainbow Dash's voice came not from her mouth, but instead remained trapped inside of her mind. Beside that, the spoken voice sounded nothing like her! Nor was her fur color right.

It was only then that she realized who's eyes she was truly seeing things through. The pony who shortly after would introduce herself as Ms. Armstrong.

“Come to think of it, she didn't have wings before,” She thought, still unable to make real speech. The lights began to click inside of her head as she began piecing together what had happened. She had been trying to knock the pony out, just to stop her long enough so that she and the others could go and bring Fluttershy back! Then she had been thrown, and suddenly lost any ability to control herself. She was inside that pony's mind, fused into one being that was keeping her from having any control whatsoever, “You stole my wings!” She could feel herself screaming from within her prison, maybe even enough to get her attention!

She didn't get much of a chance to really start trying to resist her bonds, as she suddenly felt the cold night air rushing against her. Despite someone else being in control, their skill with her wings was shockingly adept. They used all of her moves like... well, her! She hadn't noticed due to her own struggling, but they were on a crash course with Twilight!

“Hey, hold up you... you, wing thief!” They dodge whatever magic Twilight had used to try and defend herself with. It was a good effort, but she had clearly not been on her game that evening.

At that moment, Rainbow Dash felt something touch her flank, and then suddenly an odd robed creature came into her view. It reached forward and grabbed Twilight by horn of all places, before allowing them to crash into her.

Rainbow watched in horror as Twilight Sparkle quickly vanished, becoming one with that pony, much as she herself had. She was gone in less than five seconds, and instead they all stood there, the pony named Ms. Armstrong standing tall with her wings spread out. In no time flat, she had made herself into an Alicorn! Rainbow Dash knew it was partially her fault for rushing in, frustrated by herself and the situation she had found herself in.

But more than anything, she suddenly felt tired. A wave of fatigue seemed to wash over her, and had she control over her eyelids, they would have grown heavy.

Of course, she wasn't the only one struck with such exhaustion, “What the hell...” Ms. Armstrong's voice suddenly seemed quite pained, as she drooped her wings, struggling to stand up, “How was she able to sta-haaaaaaaand.” She interrupted herself with a yawn.

Rainbow needed to do something, she felt the sudden exhaustion as well, knowing it had to have come from Twilight. All of the sudden she was glad for her bookworm of a friend's obsessive habits as she could feel her muscles starting to respond to her again. Maybe she could still get them out of this! She started focusing every last bit she could on regaining control, fighting off the fatigue Twilight had shared with her.

Her wing started to twitch, quickly going into full motions, flapping up and down slowly. It was limp, but it was more than enough to panic the pony who had thought she was in control, “H-hey! Get ba-aaahhh,” Rainbow felt the mare's mind pushing back against her, making her sudden control vanish as she seemed to get locked back tightly. She knew that she only had one shot at freeing Twilight and herself, and using Twilight's state of mind was the only way she would get to do so!

Luckily, her friends seemed to catch on that something was wrong, “Rainbow Dash, Twilight?” Applejack called out, charging at the Alicorn in front of her and pushing her into the grass below, holding one side of her down with both hooves.

Rarity wasted no time in following her friend's lead, charging forward and taking the other side of Ms. Armstrong to hold down, “Are you in there still? Can you hear us?” She tried to reach out for her friends in a last ditch effort to free them from such a tyrannical mare.

Pinkie Pie had begun bouncing around the three mare's, “Oh! What's it like inside of someone else's head, Rainbow Dash? I bet it's all weird, like when Discord was messing with all of us!” She was giggling like crazy, and it was absolutely driving Armstrong nuts.

“Shut up, shut up already!”

Rainbow Dash pushed again, “Alright Twilight, help me out here!” She tried reaching out for her friend, though her thoughts were met with silence. There was no time to worry about that though, if she didn't react soon she'd be stuck there forever!

The mare struggled limply against her captors, Pinkie Pie's babbling not giving up for even a second, “I know you're in there somewhere, ya'll are both stubborn as mules!” Applejack's encouragement was good to hear. The flailing limbs stopped soon enough, Rainbow Dash was able to stop her legs, letting the others pin them down.

'This power of yours, we call it a Stand.' An elderly voice rung out through Rainbow Dash's mind, sudden flashes appearing before her as she fought for more and more control, 'Yours will be instrumental in achieving his dream.' She didn't have time to think about what any of it meant, though their words gave her an idea. If this 'Stand' as it was called, could drag her into this situation, it could get her out!

“Twilight! Wake up! We're getting out of here! Fluttershy's still lost somewhere!” The more Rainbow Dash pushed, the more she knew they had a chance. She was exhausted entirely, and her own mind had started to feel strange, no doubt from connecting so deeply into Armstrong's. Yet she kept going, starting to be able to feel the mental connection between them and the ghostly being above.

A faint voice finally arose from nothingness, “Uhn... Rainbow Dash? W-where, why am I being held down?”

“Don't worry, just stay with me! I've got a plan,” She said, trying to focus on keeping full control. The push from Ms. Armstrong had all but disappeared at this point, Rainbow just focusing on the creature that floated above the group, “Hey! Get us out of here! Come on, listen to me will you!” Rainbow Dash's words had begun coming out of Ms. Armstrong's mouth, much to the surprise of the others.

The creature turned its head toward its master, staring down for a brief moment. Every second that it was not doing as commanded, she could feel Armstrong's mind fighting against hers, trying to pull her back into nothingness. She couldn't let that happen, it was up to her to rescue her friends and herself this time!

“Come on already!” She called up toward the sky, desperate to free herself, knowing the being known as Angel Witch was her last chance. She began to concentrate, allowing her wings to begin trying to flap as though she were about to take off into the air. It didn't take much more than that for Rainbow Dash to find her comfort zone, the feel of her wings being pushed toward their limits, the open sky before her. From within her mindset, Rainbow Dash reached out toward the being above her.

Its response was instant, dashing downward and thrusting an arm directly into her chest. It phased through her skin and fur, and instead gripped onto something less tangible. Rainbow felt her control of the mare slip as she was slowly pulled out of Ms. Armstrong's body, “It's working!” Her voice had become mere thought again, “Twilight, try and... I don't know, just take my hoof!” The command made no sense, but Rainbow Dash tried her best to hold out her front legs anyway.

Rarity nearly leapt out of her skin as the creature bolted down right in front of her, backing away from it as it started literally pulling Rainbow Dash out of the mare's body, “She's doing it!” She said, getting excited as her friend was fully pulled back into the outside world, a long purple hoof in her hand, “Come on, everypony! Help me get-” She didn't get to finish her sentence as Angel Witch gripped Rainbow by the head.

“You should be respected,” Armstrong growled, “Anyone who can overtake my mind deserves a special fate,” The spirit that had been to that point helping Rainbow Dash suddenly turned against her as the pink mare gained control of her mind back. Angel Witch jerked Rainbow up into the air and slammed Applejack off of her master's body, forcing Twilight back inside of Armstrong and throwing Rainbow Dash aside, “Take your prize!”

Ms. Armstrong pushed herself upright just in time to see Rainbow Dash crashing directly into Rarity, both of them falling to the ground.

“Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie Pie called out toward her friend, suddenly brought back to reality from her ceaseless chatter. She rushed over toward Rainbow and Rarity, worried about them and gasping at what she saw when she finally stopped moving.

Armstrong herself backed up the pathway toward the house. She had lost her wings, having underestimated this group of ponies. They were stronger than she had anticipated, and on top of that her fusion with the one they called Twilight Sparkle left her drained. She had to get back through the portal while the others were distracted! She turned around and began rushing inside, nearly tripping over her hooves, stupid appendages that they were.

“And just where do you think you're goin'?” A heavily accented voice rang out from behind her, just before she felt a powerful kick on her backside, sending her flying through the front door of the house. She landed on her face, barely getting a moment to turn around before an orange pony stood in front of her, blocking her escape from this bizarre world.

“Get the hell out of my way!” Anger rushed over her as Angel Witch lashed forward, slamming its fist into her snout. Applejack stumbled back, but held strong.

“Not a chance, you ain't leaving with Twilight.” Her eyes narrowed.

“Ah yes, your little wizard friend,” She grumbled through her teeth, horn starting to glow, “She's given me more than I could have hoped for!”

Her smug attitude was insufferable, “Why don't ya'll see what I'm gonna give ya!” She stepped forward, bruised face seeming to leave her unbothered. She stopped only to shiver as her body suddenly grew very cold, a thin sheet of ice spreading over her body.

“Look at that, I've mastered magic.” Armstrong laughed as Applejack's body froze solid, the ice growing over her, entrapping her in a massive chunk that was quickly overtaking the rest of the house, “Arriverderci, ponies.” She called out, before jumping back through her portal, which lasted for only a moment longer before blinking out of existence.

Author's Note:

So, you may have noticed I've recently labeled all of my chapters as the Prologue. This is because after finishing up what I had written here, I figured the first three chapters worked together well enough to really be a single unit on their own. I really only tend to write about 1,000 to 2,000 words at a time. (Call it laziness, desire just to upload things, or some kind of mix of them both.)

Anyway, I figured that since this part finally finishes up with the intro of the story and helps to get things in motion, it'd be a a good place to stop what is essentially three parts of one chapter. Hopefully this doesn't mean chapter one is going to be in multiple parts, I would much rather get larger story chunks out at once from this point onward! So... here's hoping to that!

As always, constructive criticism is always appreciated!