• Published 13th Aug 2014
  • 1,247 Views, 15 Comments

The squirt I'll never forget. - Lightning Splash



Years after Rainbow Dash agrees to take Scootaloo under her wing, Rainbow Dash is an elite flyer at the wonderbolts and Scootaloo is following in her footsteps. But Scootaloo's story takes a turn when a very horrible accident happens

  • ...
8
 15
 1,247

Chapter one

Rainbow assessed the ponies in front of her, glaring each one of them down as she past them. They didn’t look very elite, she would soon change that. When she reached an orange pony with a hot pink mane her eyes narrowed.

“Scootaloo?!” Rainbow squeaked excitedly, jumping into the air and pulling Scootaloo in for a hug. “Oh squirt I missed you sooooo much!”

“Uh, Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo said awkwardly as she tried to struggle out of the embrace.

“Oh, right.” She smiled putting her down. “Professionalism, Dash.” She reminded herself, mumbling. Her face hardened again. “So you think ‘cause I know you I’ll be easier on you, isn’t that right?” She yelled in Scootaloo’s face.

“No, ma’am!” Scootaloo shouted back.

“I’ll be harder on you!”

“Yes, ma’am!” Rainbow nodded stiffly. She stalked down to the end of the line to a sniggering pony.

“Think that was funny?!” Rainbow yelled, raising an eyebrow. The Pegasus only shrunk down as an answer. “That’s what I thought.” She said glaring at everypony again. “So, you think you’re ready to be a wonderbolt, huh?”

“Yes, ma’am!” They shouted.

“Think you’ve got what it takes to be an elite flyer?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Wrong! If you had what it takes, you’d already be a wonderbolt!” She yelled and stalked down to a pony with a black mane and a pink body. “Isn’t that right?” The ponies knees buckled underneath her and she collapsed.

“No, uh yes ma’am.” She shivered.

“Are you cold?!” Rainbow yelled in her face.

“No, ma’am.” The pony squeezed her eyes shut.

“Then stand up and stop shaking!” The pony stood up but kept shaking. “Maybe you need to warm up your wings?” Rainbow said with a smirk. “Give me one-hundred laps, now!” The pink Pegasus flew up.

“And you!” She said going back to Scootaloo and jabbing a hoof into her chest. “I bet you couldn't even do one lap.

“Ma’am, I could do five-hundred laps and not get winded.” Scootaloo stared bravely. Rainbow raised her eyebrows.

“Really, can you even fly? I don’t remember you being able too.” Rainbow winced as the words tumbled out of her mouth. Scootaloo gasped, she closed her mouth and swallowed. Tears started to form in her eyes.

“Rainbow Dash.” She choked out, shocked.

“Commander Dash to you!” Rainbow yelled hiding the pain and guilt inside her. She had to do this how Spitfire had taught her. Scootaloo shut her eyes, she opened them again, revealing them to be red.

“Commander Dash, may I be excused?” She asked, her voice cracking, but still loud.

“Do you need to pee?”

“No.” Her voice weakened.

“You may be excused.” Scootaloo let out a big sigh and started to leave. “AFTER, you do five-hundred laps.” Before the waterworks broke she flew away. “And all of you,” Rainbow said turning to the shocked ponies. “Three-hundred laps!” They moaned and flew away. Rainbow closed her eyes and looked away, a lump slid up in her throat. Spitfire walked up to her and put a hoof around her.

“Rainbow I said harsh, not…break ‘em down so hard they cry.” She said, trying to be gentle.

“I know, I’m so sorry Spitfire!” Rainbow voice cracked, a tear slid from her cheek. “I’m not right for this job, I-.”

“Rainbow Dash,” Spitfire tilted her chin up. “You did fine, I can tell what just happened hurt you, I’m just trying to say be more gentle. You have to learn from this and move on.”

“I know, I just…” Rainbow said looking in the sky at Scootaloo. She sniffled.

“Why not you just talk to her about it, invite her to lunch with us.” Rainbow brightened.

“I should! Thanks for your advice, Spitfire.”

“Anytime, Rainbow Dash.” Spitfire answered. Rainbow flew up into the sky and looked at the ponies. The black and pink pony was just finishing up.

“You!” The pony stopped. “The others are doing three-hundred. Why not you do it, too?” The pink pony knew it wasn’t a question and flew up again. Even she was doing more, Scootaloo finished before the other ponies. When she came down, Rainbow approached her. “Hey, Scoots. Listen, I know I said you would be excused, but I was wondering if you would have lunch with Soarin’, Spitfire and me.” Scootaloo turned to her mad.

“Why would I care, you’re not even cool? You can’t even say sorry! Why won’t you just leave me alone?!” She yelled and turned away.

“Because I wanted to say sorry.” Rainbow mumbled head down. Scootaloo paused.

“Sorry?”

“Yeah, I mean-I… I didn’t mean what I said! I just-.”

“Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry too. I know you didn’t mean to hurt me, but, you did.”

“Whatever! I’m way cooler than you anyway. I shouldn’t even be inviting you to eat with the wonderbolts! You should be honored!” Rainbow said, now offended.

“Wait, Rainbow!” Scootaloo grabbed her hoof. “I think we both have some apologizing to do. How ‘bout that lunch?” Rainbow smiled.

“Well we haven’t got all day!” She said grabbing the younger pony and flying away. They laughed as they flew. This was fun, hanging out with Scootaloo, just like the old days.

“Oh this is so cool!” A younger Scootaloo squealed, she was riding on Rainbow’s back.

“You ready to go by yourself?” Rainbow asked. Scootaloo’s face creased with worry.

“I don’t know, Rainbow, I’ve never really- whoa!” She yelled as Rainbow flew out from underneath her. “Whoo hoo!” She screamed as she soared the sky. “This is so fun! I-I can FLY!” She tackled Rainbow with a hug. “Thank you sooooo much, Rainbow Dash.”

“No problem, squirt.” She said hugging her back.

“Want to have a race? Like, from here to that funny looking cloud?” Scootaloo’s voice drew Rainbow out of her thoughts. Rainbow grinned.

“Bet you can’t beat me!” Dash said zooming away. Scootaloo laughed and flew after her. She quickly caught up with her.

“I’ve been practicing.” Soocatloo smiled.

“I can tell.” Scootaloo’s smile turned into a beam. “But, I still have more practice than you!” Rainbow said and picked up the pace. Wow! She really has been practicing…and she also just flew five-hundred laps! Rainbow won the race, obviously. Eventually Scootaloo caught up with her.

“Wow kid, you’re good. But, let’s face it, I’m in my prime.” Scootaloo beamed again but didn’t say anything, she was panting and her face was flushed. “Though, I think you were faster than I was at your age.” Scootaloo’s face lit up immediately.

“Really?” She squealed and was so excited she forgot to keep flying. Rainbow caught her.

“It’s a good thing we’re here.” Rainbow set her down on the ground. Scootaloo looked at the restaurant and gasped.

“The Rocket Foal? Can this day get any better?”

“This is where the wonderbolts usually grab their grub.” Rainbow said happy she pleased the young girl.

“It’s also the most famous, most awesome and most delicious restaurant ever!” Dash raised an eyebrow.

“The restaurant is delicious or the food they serve?” They laughed together. Soarin’ and Spitfire quickly arrived.

“Hey, Rainbow.” Spitfire said giving Dash a hug.

“Rainbow Dash!” Soarin’ yelled.

“SOARIN’!” Rainbow squealed uncontrollably. She tackled her husband with a hug and gave him a peck on the cheek.

“Ugh! Gross!” Scootaloo said, making a gagging noise. “Keep it G-rated.” The couple laughed.

“C’mon, Scoots, I haven’t seen him for two days.” She turned back toward Soarin’. “How’s Emerald Sky?”

“Our baby’s fine. She’s just like you; I can’t seem to get her to sit still for one second!” Rainbow murmured something incomprehensible and the two rubbed their noses together.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I’m with the youngster, and we’ve got to eat sometime.”

“Oh, alright.” Soarin’ fake groaned and the four walked in the restaurant. While they were eating a mail mare came and tapped Scootaloo on the shoulder.

“What is it?” The orange pony asked. In answer the grey Pegasus gave her the mail.

“I’m sorry.” She said her golden eyes creased with sadness. “Hey, Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow somehow recognized the mare, then she remembered, she failed the academy because she couldn’t see well, her eyes went two different directions.

“Hey.” She didn’t remember her name, so she just stuck with that. The mail mare flew off. Scootaloo shrugged and opened the mail. As she read the mail her face became creased with confusion and despair, she started to shake.

“I’m sorry everypony.” She said and ran off.

“Scootaloo!” Rainbow called after her but the pony kept running. I should just leave her alone right now.