• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,677 Views, 30 Comments

Hunger - n



The dragons grow short on food and must turn to another source if they must survive.

  • ...
0
 30
 1,677

Fragile Peace

In Equestria, it was a well guarded secret that dragons could eat meat. While the steady supply of gems that left for the mountains in clandestine caravans continued to flow, this fact had no impact on life. Of course, the errant dragon that did manage to find itself in Equestria was quickly and quietly dealt with. The rest of the dragons were content to live on the fiery mountaintops.

This relationship had worked well between the dragons and the princesses. However, each day, the ponies had to dig a little deeper, and each day, the quota was harder and harder to meet. The princesses knew it was only a matter of time before the inevitable clash between them and the dragons.

Many of the dragons were proud and capricious. They thought nothing on the ponies. The influx of gems strengthened the status quo that ponies were beneath the dragons. To the dragons, it was as if they were lords, raking in tribute from the multitude of servants. Yet, some dragons doubted this. They knew that survival hinged on the delivery of gems, that to go to war would be next to suicidal. Some dragons were old enough to remember the great power that the princesses had. They knew that the princesses were not to be taken lightly. One such pair would leave an egg with the princesses to ensure that their son would have a brighter future, under the protection of the princesses.

So it was that when Rainbow Dash created the legend of the Sonic Rainboom, that very egg hatched for the soon to be prodigy of Princess Celestia. That filly would grow up to become an Element of Harmony and gain fame through dangerous adventures to vanquish mighty foes. It was like tales of knights of old, except more cheerful. That was the way Princess Celestia wanted it. She did not want her ponies living under the shadows of the past, when ponies lived in fear of being eaten by dragons. When ponies kept arms close at hands. When ponies were ready to be rallied for war. Princess Celestia was reluctant to let their sacrifice be in vain. The future they had worked for would come to fruition. While the fragile peace lasted, everyone was under the illusion that all was well. While the peace lasted, Princess Celestia knew that her favorite student would be safe from the true horrors of the world.

Just yesterday in fact, Twilight Sparkle had brought the most delicious looking confectionery out for a dessert contest. Unfortunately, Pinkie Pie had eaten most of it. Princess Celestia couldn't help but laugh in the end due to the comic way in which the cake had been consumed. These moments were what gave her the energy she needed to provide rulings that would continue to keep the guise. No matter how much she knew that she was only delaying confrontation, she had to continue. If not for her ponies, then for her sister. She knew that her sister, recently ravaged by the Nightmare would not take well to taking up arms against the dragons. She was glad that her sister had forgotten the troubled times, when their disagreements over the treaty had almost torn them apart. The thousand years had given her time to delude everypony into thinking it was safe. As long as everypony was happy, Princess Celestia would delay.

Time passed. The dragons grew lazier and more complacent. They also bred more, since they had more than enough food. The demand for gems increased with the increasing number of mouths to feed. But the supply could not meet this demand, and some of the dragons found themselves a little more hungry than they were used to. Wiser dragons would have suspected something a long time ago. Most of them had already entered hibernation of sorts, and the problem was left to fester as the younger generation did not understand the true implications of such a shortage.

Meanwhile in Ponyville, a group of friends were having a discussion over some tea.

“If the prices keep going up like they have been, I'll be out of business. It doesn't help that gem finding has been taxed so heavily. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have gems for the dresses,” said Rarity.

It didn't help that Rarity had a sister to take care of, or that her parents were in retirement.

“I'm sure Princess Celestia would be more than happy to give you some sort of extension,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“Yeah!” piped Rainbow Dash.

“It's not that simple,” said Rarity.

Twilight Sparkle thought for a moment and realized the what Rarity was talking about. There were very few ponies that used gems on a day to day basis. This was partly due to the subtle machinations of Princess Celestia. Not many ponies knew about gems and more importantly, where the gems were going to. Only ponies heavily invested in the gem market had much information on gems. One such pony was Rarity, who used gems in most every clothing line.

The rest of the six friends stared at Rarity in confusion. They had no inkling of what she was going through, or what the consequences would be, and Rarity had no easy way to explain. But the friends knew something was wrong, and changed the topic accordingly. The mood brightened instantly again, and the friends resumed their friendly banter, leaving the problem for later. There was very little that they could do about it anyway.

As the dragons continued to starve, they grew more irritable. The tension did not go unnoticed by those that delivered the gems. Rumors started to spread through the chain. Fearful claims of ponies disappearing, of ponies being roasted alive, of ponies being eaten. Princess Celestia was upon one of those paths and she knew that deep in her heart that somehow, the situation had gone too far. But she continued to do nothing. She could not abandon the ideal that she had worked so hard to craft and maintain.

The problem was left to fester.