• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 821 Views, 20 Comments

Crossed - OneOverTwo



Derpy has very vivid dreams, but they're so consistent that she has trouble telling what's real. Something happens that causes her further confusion. Perhaps everything is more real than she thought.

  • ...
0
 20
 821

Twilight Does Very Little Really, But Neither Does Anyone Else to be Fair.

Twilight Sparkle decided to do one last thing before she went back to her home and began making her side of the new portal. She decided to make talk with the humans.

“Um… hi there,” said Twilight Sparkle when she trotted on over to the group of humans messing around with her book.

“I still swear there’s something familiar about this book,” said Watermelody.

“Give it a rest, Watermelody, we don’t care anymore,” said Golden Hazel.

“I just wante-” said Twilight Sparkle.

“I care,” said Watermelody, pouting.

“... I just wanted to talk to you for a bit,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“What about?” said Atom.

“Oh nothing in particular,” said Twilight Sparkle, “I just wanted to get to know your culture a bit better.”

“There’s not much culture here,” said Golden Hazel, rubbing Watermelody’s hat down on her head while pushing it over her eyes.

“Hey!” said Watermelody, “Ffuf- pfuh puh, Takes one to know one!”

“She even admits it of herself,” said Golden Hazel, “She’s wrong about the part that equates her to me though.”

“Grrr,” said Watermelody right before she pounced on Golden Hazel, throwing them both to the ground.

“Eeek!” said Golden Hazel as that happened.

Princess Twilight Sparkle paused for a moment to look at the two tussle. Well, they didn’t really tussle so much as Watermelody lied on top of Golden Hazel while Golden Hazel called her fat but couldn’t seem to retaliate otherwise.

“Are you all like this?” said Twilight Sparkle.

“I sure hope not,” said Atom, “So, what sorts of advanced technology do you have?”

“Ooh! Our society just invented something grand!” said Twilight Sparkle, “We now have trains that can go up to thirty miles per hour!”

“... Up to?” said Atom, “... im… pressive.”

“I know, right?” said Twilight Sparkle.

“We have trains that can go up to two hundred miles per hour,” said Atom, “Not many though.”

“Trains can go that fast here?!” said Twilight Sparkle, “Wait… surely our measurements known as miles are different.”

Atom shrugged.

“Maybe,” said Atom.

“I’ll really need to look into the technology here,” said Twilight Sparkle, “And make some conversion charts.”

“Suit yourself,” said Atom.

Princess Twilight Sparkle looked back at Watermelody and Golden Hazel, they were still doing what they were doing when she last looked at them. Twilight decided that it was time for her to go back and start work. But first she picked up her book and realized something. She concentrated at it really hard before giving it to Sunset Shimmer.

“Um, goodbye all of you,” said Twilight Sparkle, turning back to all the humans.

“Goodbye,” said Atom as she left, “I just talked to an extra-dimensional being! Eee!”

“You talk to me all the time,” said Sunset Shimmer, who had snuck up behind him.

“Y-you’re different,” said Atom after he was done being startled by Sunset.

Sunset Shimmer just gave him a serious questioning look.


Time passed. The next day (in Ponyville) Princess Twilight Sparkle put the finishing touches on her side of the portal.

“Twilight, I think I should really let one of my bodies sleep,” said Derpy, “I kind of can’t sleep at all right now.”

“Hold on, Derpy,” said Twilight Sparkle, “I just finished the first ‘Derpy-Port’.”

“Derpy-Port?” said Derpy.

“Yes, a new kind of portal named after you,” said Twilight Sparkle, “I was able to replicate the magical signature of the mirror portal and infuse your DNA to the surface of the intended ‘doorway’.”
Princess Twilight Sparkle had been rubbing her hoof along the so called doorway as she spoke.

“If it’s finished, why isn’t your going thru it?” said Derpy.

“Sunset, hopefully, isn’t done with her side yet,” said Twilight Sparkle, “Which reminds me, I need you to contact her so you can tell her that I’ve finished my side.”

“Alright,” said Derpy, she then (on the human side) got up and went out of her room to retrieve her phone from where she kept it in the living room.
She looked thru her contact list until she was on ‘SunsetShim’, her phone only gave her ten characters before it ran out for contacts, and she selected to call her.

“What?” said Sunset Shimmer when she answered the phone.

“Twilight told me to tell you that she’s done with her side,” said Derpy.

“She’s probably wondering why I’m not done yet,” said Sunset Shimmer, “It takes longer to clone things with science, though I guess we don’t really need to clone your hair, do we?”

Derpy heard a voice that seemed to be where Sunset was that she couldn’t make out what it was saying. It sounded like Atom.

“Yes,” said Sunset Shimmer, “What I’m going to do is just take part of the lock you gave me and I’ll affix it to the intended surface.”

“Say, don’t you need to enchant something with the portal whatever to make this work?” said Derpy.

“Yes, but Twilight did cast a spell on this book,” said Sunset Shimmer.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m talking to you on the phone,” said Derpy.

“Oh right, she gave me the copy of ‘Pepper Pie’s Big Adventure’ that she threw thru the portal,” said Sunset Shimmer, “It has a spell cast on it that should copy the traits of the statue somewhat. The plan is to open a somewhat shaky portal at first so that Twilight can get over to this side and properly open the portal here.”

“Why didn’t we stay near the horse statue and mirror so that that wouldn’t be a problem?” said Derpy.

“We couldn’t really construct the proper containing frames there,” said Sunset Shimmer.

“Well why didn’t Twilight go back home, take the readings of the portal’s signawhatever, go back to the human side and give you something properly stable?” said Derpy.

“I don’t know, she probably didn’t think of it,” said Sunset Shimmer.

“Then how come I could think of it?” said Derpy.

“Maybe you’re smarter than her,” said Sunset Shimmer.

“Oh,” said Derpy, she put down her phone, “Twilight, Sunset says I’m smarter than you!”

“WHAT?!” said Twilight Sparkle.


After maybe an hour Sunset Shimmer felt that she could say that she was done with her side. This was mainly because her hand fell thru the portal when she was done applying bits of Derpys hair on and around the book.

Sunset Shimmer dusted herself off.

‘That’s probably enough of a message to tell her to come over now,’ thought Sunset Shimmer.


“Ack!” said Twilight Sparkle, barely avoiding getting hit by a human hand, “I suppose that’s my cue.”

Twilight Sparkle went thru the new portal and came out the other end.

“I am SO relieved that worked,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“Make it stable, princess,” said Sunset Shimmer.

“Right,” said Twilight Sparkle.


The first new portal was fully built on both sides. The portal was constant and stable. Now all that needed to be figured out was what needed to be done next.

“I can go tell the other princesses what I did, but how are you going to inform this world’s leaders about the portal, Sunset?”

“It’s not a perfect plan, but it’s a plan,” said Sunset Shimmer, “I’m going to tell the internet that I have a portal to a magic pony world in my room.

“No one will believe that,” said Atom, “even though it’s true.”

“I’m sure someone will investigate, even if they are just planning to mock me or send me to the loony bin,” said Sunset Shimmer, “Oh how I can’t wait to see the look on their face when I actually do go thru the portal.”

Atom and Twilight wondered if getting a shocked look was the real reason Sunset decided to go about telling the world the way she did.

Maybe.


Princess Twilight Sparkle returned to the library.

“I’m back,” said Twilight Sparkle, “I’ll need to have Spike take a letter when he wakes up.”

“Hey Twilight,” said Derpy, “There’s something I really want to do.”

“What?” said Twilight Sparkle.

Derpy told her.

“Okay, just let me move the portal to the basement and take a few more mane samples,” said Twilight Sparkle, “Safety reasons.”


Sunset Shimmer and Derpy were walking to where Sunset lived. Derpy had called her again and said that she needed to be near the portal.

“Why do you need to be near the portal right now?” said Sunset Shimmer.

“Let’s just say that I really want to get to know myself,” said Derpy.


“Twilight,” said Derpy, “I’m at Sunset’s now, push me on thru.”

Princess Twilight Sparkle did as she was told to do and the pony Derpy was sent to the other side.

Derpy saw herself emerge from the portal. Sunset fully realized what Derpy meant about getting to know herself, but she had guessed as much.
Human Derpy walked over to Pony Derpy and knelt. She had to see herself. She had to see herself both ways.
Human Derpy removed the blindfold on Pony Derpy. She screamed while she tried to hold in her agony and forced herself to look. She did her best to look at herself. She saw the truth, she was finally certain. She closed all four eyes tight. Derpy hugged herself, and she hugged back.

Derpy weeped.

“It’s real,” said Derpy, her bodies still held tightly together and her eyes tightly shut, “Everything is real.”