• Published 20th Jun 2014
  • 992 Views, 21 Comments

One Way Mirror - Poetic Justice



I bet you didn't know that two extremely different ponies, such as Octavia and Vinyl, share something that brings them closer together than any other form of relationship.

  • ...
1
 21
 992

Saturday

6:00am-Octavia

I didn't sleep too well last night. I stayed up late with doing an interview with some students that attended the same university I did. I would've said no, since I had another concert to perform at noon. However, they mentioned Dr. Penn, which was one of my favorite professors. Once they said that he assigned them to interview me for their journalism project, I felt compelled to do it, since Dr. Penn did help me out when he was teaching me music theory. It started awkward, they had a generic list of questions to ask everypony they interviewed, but after a few drinks, it was a lot more comfortable. They asked about what I did after school and how I got to where I was. They also asked about what influences the type of music I play. It took an hour or two to get past them actually asking questions for their project and us laughing from the stories they told about Dr. Penn. I honestly can't wait to read it. However, that will have to wait. I need to start my daily routine and get ready for my performance this afternoon.

7:00am-Vinyl

I almost fell asleep in the shower a dozen times. I didn't sleep at all last night. I am headlining a huge party tonight, and I am psyched. My phone was exploding with texts and phone calls from friends and fans, all saying that they can't wait to see me. I also had a date with freaking Neon Lights! Holy crap, this is seriously the best day ever. It took all of my energy to not text him and make sure that it's still going on. I mean, he asked me last night, it's not like he'll cancel this quickly. Just gotta be cool until tonight. I didn't have anything to do until noon. So I just laid in bed and read one of my books until then.

8:45am-Octavia

Most ponies don't know this, but I wear a ton of makeup before I go on stage. I got the idea from a friend of mine back in school. He was an actor, and he would spend hours backstage applying make-up. One day, when I was to also perform with him, he urged me to join him backstage so he may apply his make-up to me as well. It helps define your features better under the spotlight, that was the main reason he used it. I did not think there was much use for it except that once, since my looks do not matter while I am performing music. However, he pointed out that it looks better under flash photography, and that many musicians wear it as well. I saw some of the photos that were taken of our performance on stage and compared them to others. I did look a lot better, so I decided to wear it. Since then, I wear it almost everyday, even when I am not performing. Sometimes, it's just fun.

11:00am-Vinyl.

I had to put my book down a few times from my phone refusing to shut up. I eventually just gave up trying to get through the chapter. It's been two hours and I only got done with three pages. I probably would've stopped there anyway, my stomach felt like it was eating itself. I wasn't familiar with the restaurants around Baltimare. I honestly couldn't wait for the train this evening to take me back to Manehattan. The people around here were friendly, sure, but there was just nothing to do. After last night's interview, I found myself just laying around in my apartment. Granted, that's what I normally do anyway, but usually it's from exhaustion. Last night, I was just bored. I threw my sunglasses on and went out the door.

Noon-Vinyl

"Hey Vinyl! What's up?!" Lyra shouted when I entered the restaurant. I put my hoof to my lips. As much as I loved Lyra, she was loud and has given me a lot of unwanted attention before. She quickly ducked back behind the counter of sweets, looking around to make sure nopony was staring at either of us. Once she ensured the coast was clear, she motioned for me to meet her in the back room. I think I heard one or two fillies asking their parents where Vinyl was when I passed by the booths, and I am thankful none of them noticed I was there.

Right behind the counter was a large set of double doors. Most ponies assume that those doors lead to the kitchen. However, they actually lead to a break room while the kitchen is on the second floor. The room behind the counter was much too small to hold all of the ingredients as well as the finished products. Once I entered the break room, Sweetie Drops was already lying on the couch. She quickly sat up to greet me.

"Hey, Vinyl. What's up?"

"Just figured I'd come eat before my show."

"Little early for you to be wearing that stuff, isn't it?"

"I don't plan on going back home to do it again."

Sweetie left the break room, and I took her place on the couch. Lyra quickly came through the door, holding a tray of candy and pastries. I don't have any weaknesses, except one. Sweets. I quickly grabbed a hoof-full of pastries and quickly devoured them. Saying "thanks" to Lyra with a mouthful of dough and chocolate.

1:49pm-Octavia

Ten more minutes until I went on stage to perform. I arrived early to eat, and because I wanted to ensure that nothing would keep me from showing up. I was performing at my friend's restaurant. I did not go too often, but they were celebrating their anniversary, and when they asked me personally to perform, I couldn't say no. I looked through the door, and scanned the crowd. I saw a few familiar faces. Rarity graced the audience in, what I assumed was, her own design. She was sitting next to a purple and green dragon. We've been introduced a few times, but I can never recall his name. Soarin was also in the crowd, but nearly nopony recognized him outside of uniform. I looked around him for Spitfire, but she was nowhere to be seen. I was surprised to see Hoity Toity. However, they were the only ponies I knew the names to. A hoof hit my shoulder. When I looked back, one of the store employees eyed the clock, signaling that it was time to go on. Looking back to the stage, I saw the other three members of our ensemble take their places. I straightened my bowtie, and took my place on stage.

We were only assigned to play one piece, but it was ten minutes long, it was also the song that was played at my friend's wedding. I had the piece memorized, while the other members had to stare at their music sheets. I my eyes flew through the crowd, evaluating their expressions. I maintained my calm demeanor for the first few minutes, however, my eyes caught him. My face quickly became red as I focused my eyes on my cello. Of all the ponies I expected to show up, I didn't think he would. I controlled my breathing, closed my eyes, and turned my face back to the crowd. I had to ensure that my eyes didn't travel to him again, or my face turning red would be the least of my problems. Thankfully, the song was nearly over. Just a few.... more..... seconds.

I held out the last note slightly longer than the other members of the band. The crowd stomped their hooves as we all bowed and put our instruments in their respectful places. I didn't waste any time, I quickly got off the stage and went to him.

"Hey, Neon!" I nearly shouted.

"Umm, hello?"

"I can't wait for tonight, I am so excited!"

"What are you talking about?"

It took a second for me to understand what was happening, but when Lyra quickly pulled me back and my black hair fell in front of my face, I was taken back to reality. "Oh no." I whispered. I quickly ran for the restroom and locked myself in it. I was breathing quickly, sure that I was on the verge of a panic attack. To calm myself down, I turned the water on and splashed it against my face a few times. After about the seventh wave, I looked down to see my make-up washing down the drain.

"No.... please, this has to be a nightmare..." I looked up to see my white face, in the center of the grey paint over the rest of my body. Some water also got in my hair; a few strands of blue fell from the fake black mane. My mane also flattened, allowing my horn to poke through, like a knife through a pillow. I could only stare into my own crimson eyes. I didn't know what to do.

Someone started banging on the door. "Octavia?" They asked.

I cleared my throat and put on that fake accent. "Yes?"

"The band is going back up for an encore."

"Oh Celestia, help me."