• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 638 Views, 0 Comments

What Remains I: The Griffon and Her Dweeb - Bateman66



Embarking on a frozen trek through the unforgiving Griffon Kingdom, Alistair and Gilda must band together if they are to survive a long and perilous journey for a rumored treasure buried deep beneath the arctic wasteland.

  • ...
4
 0
 638

Negative Recollection

The room accommodations hadn’t been precisely what Alistair had been expecting. What he expected was a stone floor and a blanket tossed in between a week-old puddle of water and some rat droppings scattered about, with a homely plaque titled ‘dungeon’ placed over a barred iron door that would be promptly shut by any nearby soldiers once he stepped in.

But the griffons had been civil, as much as they could anyway, and had assigned him quarters that were almost what he considered hospitable. A sink and mirror were absent from the room, as was any chairs or cabinets to place his recently returned belongings into.

All he had was a scratched up wooden table, a rickety looking furred bed (pillow included, thank Celestia), and a thick panned glass window that was half covered in the outside snow. A bright burning torch was atop the wall to his right, away from the bed and table to prevent any unfortunate accidents with a blistering open flame.

Throwing his army-green pack and Equestrian diplomatic flag atop the table, he saw no real reason to stay up any longer. He’d been trekking for the better part of the day and although he didn’t feel exhausted, keeping such feelings at bay would be his utmost responsibility in the days to come.

Stripping off his heavy brown overcoat, he discarded his heavy insulated boots along with his long winter pants. He left on his blue undershirt along with his undergarments and briskly moved over to the torch. Blowing it out with a single huff, he practically jumped into the bed.

He was surprised from how warm the fur comforter was along with the feathered pillow he rested his head against. He was even more surprised by the near blackness the room had been drenched in, with absolutely no light seeping in through anywhere. Perhaps he really was in a dungeon and just couldn’t remember.

But just as quickly as his silly pondering began, it faded out in time as an unexpected wave of drowsiness hit and set him drifting into sudden slumber.

--------------------

A distant chattering buzzed abrasively in Alistair’s ear, the sound distorted and echoing as if coming from a great distance away. A gray fog surrounded him from where he stood, with silent wind pushing the fabric of his clothing to and fro.

He worriedly clawed the air around him in search of something solid and tangible, but all that he thrashed at was empty space. Turning around to look for something real, the ground below suddenly crumbled beneath him and he found himself to be falling.

He let out a terrified shriek as he fell through an empty of abyss of swirling gray fog. A white light appeared below him as he fell, slowly approaching from his rapid descent. Clenching his eyes shut, he awaited whatever came next.

--------------------

“Why didn’t I see you at the coronation?” Twilight Sparkle asked with a dismayed frown. “You even had the VIP tickets to make sure that you’d get a seat, even if you were late.”

Alistair cheeks began to heat as he nervously wrung his fingers together. “My train was late; by the time I got there the cavalcade was already moving.”

Twilight crossed her hooves and turned away. “You still could’ve come. No pony was going to take your seat.”

“And I did!” he declared indignantly. “I pushed my way through a sea of ponies just to get right up close to the road. I saw you and the front stage clearer than crystal.”

“Then why didn’t you come to the VIP section? Spike, my parents, and everypony else was there. Why weren’t you?”

“I was late. By the time I would’ve looped around through the castle courtyard you’d probably be already on your way to the reception afterwards.”

Twilight’s brow furrowed. “I didn’t see you there either.”

“For Celestia’s sake!” he shouted while throwing his arms into the air. “Is the new rule with you that if you don’t see me at an incredibly crowded event suddenly that means I ditched? You know I’d never do that.”

“Then why didn’t you come and find me? It would’ve have been great to be with everypony instead of almost everypony.”

Alistair bit the end of his lip and shifted his weight to the other foot. “I…forgot.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, you didn’t. I’ve known you for this long, and telling me that an event that’s been brewing for over a month and one that has one of your closest friends at the focal point is nothing but a big fat lie. What did you really do?”

“I…” his eyes traveled to the recently formed set of Alicorn wings that sat folded on her sides. He swallowed painfully. “I forgot, that’s what happened.”

Twilight sighed. “If you’re going to lie I don’t see the point in even trying to find out. I came over just to tell you that me and Spike have some Princess business to take care of in Canterlot. We’re going to be gone for a few weeks but I assume you can watch yourself until then?”

Alistair nodded, but did not speak.

“Good, then I’ll see you when we get back.” Twilight turned and walked out the front door of the Golden Oaks Library. Shutting the door behind her solemnly, Alistair realized that neither of them had wished each other goodbye.

--------------------

Alistair’s head jerked up in bed as his heart pounded silently in the shadowed room. A cold sweat seeped into his clothing and covers, and as he held his hands to his face, he could see that they were trembling.

“It was a dream,” he told himself aloud. “You’ve had this before. Just try to get past it and you’ll be alright. Get past it, get past it, get past it, get past it, get past it…”

He continued to utter his calming phrase to sooth the fear and despair that coursed through his veins, but no matter how hard he tried, the pain of what he experienced in the vision could not be soothed by his words alone. Slowly, as the phrase lost its meaning the harder he tried; he drifted back into an unstill slumber, ever fearful that he’d be forced to repeat his painful recollections of a past he could not change. It was a very long night.