• Published 31st May 2014
  • 1,572 Views, 9 Comments

Shipfic Chronicles - Vocal Range



A series of short one-shots, based around multiple MLP Shippings.

  • ...
6
 9
 1,572

Chapter 2: AppleDash- "A Race for the Heart"

Chapter 2: AppleDash- "A Race for the Heart"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been good friends for years now, only problem is everything turns into a competition. Every walk turns into a race, but what if they found something more in each other could they put their competitive natures aside for each other. Their friendship was being put to the test during one of their competitions, a race through the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres, seems a little unfair with Applejack knowing the trails and layout better than Dash. Rainbow Dash was to stubborn to admit defeat especially to Applejack, as Rainbow Dash began to stretch her legs and wings, that was until she felt a tight compression around her wing holding them tightly to her body. As she looked back she only saw the orange flank of Applejack, she began to daydream until she looked at her wings, they were tied down to her body.

"AJ. What the hay is this for?" Rainbow asked, attempting to break the rope tethering her wings to her body.

"That's to make sure ya don't cheat again, remember that Iron Pony Competition we had a few months ago."
Dash began to flashback to the competition, remembering how she had acted as she shook the memory from her mind she finally spoke.

"Come on Applejack I learned my lesson, besides this is just us a little friendly competition." Rainbow said, giving Applejack a hung-dog expression lip quivering trying to get sympathy from her opponent.

"Alright fine, Dash." Applejack walked towards the pegasus, untying her wings.

Come on Dash control yourself, so you saw AJ's extremely sexy flank who cares its not like you want her in that way right. Rainbow thought, as the final knots of the rope fell away she couldn't control herself, her wings shot out to full extension and began to stiffen. This caught Applejack's eyes who was confused from Rainbow's display, not knowing what to make of it.

"You alright there sugarcube?" Applejack asked, seeing the muscles in Rainbow's wings begin to tense up and stiffen, even more causing a blush to come across both their faces.

"Um yeah, just fine lets just uh get this race going." Rainbow said nervously, her blush intensified as she caught Applejack staring at her fully splayed wings Rainbow rubbed her hooves through her wings, trying to reduce the stiffness.

"Alright Rainbow Dash if ya say so, I'm ready when you are." Applejack said, getting into a downward position her flank sticking slightly in the air, causing Rainbow's wings to stiffen up slightly again.

"Alright AJ Ready, Set, GO."


Both ponies took off ripping through the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres, only there was something wrong this time it wasn't one of their normal races. Applejack noticed Rainbow lagging behind still fidgeting with her still stiff wings, finally calming them down enough to continue. As Rainbow Dash, noticed Applejack staring at her she tore off through the trees again, Applejack was fast in tow trying to catch up to Rainbow. She had almost made up for lost ground, as she began to think she slowed her pace as her mind began racing.

Somethin's wrong with Rainbow, she ain't actin' like herself today. Maybe there's somethin' botherin' her, she did seem awful nervous earlier. Only one way to find out. Applejack slowed her running down to a slow trot, as she saw Rainbow cross the finish line she picked her pace back up.

"Congratulations Rainbow, guess ya beat me that time." Applejack said, attempting to go against her element Rainbow wasn't focused enough to call Applejack out on her lie.

"Yeah I guess I did." Dash said, as she began preening a few ruffled feathers using her free wing to cover her face, which began blushing heavily again.

"Rainbow. Is somethin' botherin' ya?"

"No AJ everything is perfectly fine." Rainbow said, spitting out a muzzle full of feathers sweat began forming on the pegasus head and cheeks.

"Are ya sure sugarcube, usually whenever ya beat me you're always braggin' so much. Somethin's wrong. What is it?" Applejack asked, in a stern voice, almost sounding like a parent scolding their misbehaving foal.

"I told you before AJ, nothing is wrong just drop it!" Rainbow yelled, Applejack was taken aback by Rainbow's outburst, she never acted like that Rainbow might be a hot-head at times, but she'd never yelled out in anger at her friends on purpose, this time it was on purpose.

"Rainbow there's somethin' eatin' ya, and ya need to talk about it." Applejack said stomping her hoof in frustration, at Rainbow Dash's stubbornness.

"The only thing eating me right now is you, now just leave me alone." Rainbow was still yelling, causing Applejack to resort to drastic measures.

"Fine sugarcube, have it you're way we tried it the easy way, now we try it the apple way." Applejack began walking closer to the prone pegasus, laying down across from her.

"AJ just drop it, there's noth-." Before she could finish her statement, she was pinned under a large orange mass of fur.

"Sorry Dash, but this is for you're own good I'm not lettin' ya up until ya tell me whats wrong." Applejack said, pinning Rainbow's hooves down with her body weight, Applejack used her hooves to pin the struggling ponies wings down.

"Nothing is wrong with me, except I have a large farmpony holding me down against my will trying to drag something out of me that's none of her business." Rainbow said, as she tried to fight the muscular mare of her chest, it wasn't working she finally gave up fighting.

"Rainbow, you haven't been yourself since the race started. What's gotten into ya?"

"Nothing, just forget about it." Rainbow said, venom sipping from her muzzle as she spoke.

As Applejack loosened her pressure on Rainbow's wings, Rainbow felt a build up of tension in her wings. She tried tucking her wings close to her body, not wanting a repeat of earlier. She keep her eyes closed, trying to not even see or think about the pony on top of her. Finally the thoughts got the better of her, for the second time her wings shoot out with a pomff. She hid her face mortified at her display, right in front of Applejack.

"Rainbow, do ya have a problem with you're wings, or somethin'?" Applejack said, knowing she wouldn't get out of this until she talked, Rainbow finally began to speak.

"No AJ, this happens to pegasus ponies when were-..." Rainbow trailed off, not wanting to continue to embarrassed, to admit the truth.

"What was that sugarcube, I didn't quite hear ya."

"When a pegasus ponies wings stiffen, it means were excited, most ponies call it a "wingboner." Rainbow said, using her two free front hooves, just enough to emphasize the word "wingboner".

"What in the hay does that mean?" Applejack asked, with a devious grin she knew exactly what it meant, but Rainbow Dash didn't have to know that. Besides she wanted to hear it from Rainbow Dash herself.

"I'll tell you, as soon as you let me up."

"Fine RD, but no funny business." Applejack said, getting up off the still flustered pegasus.

"Thank you." Rainbow said, rolling over as she sat back on her haunches.

"Now, spill sugarcube. Whats wrong?"

"Applejack, sometimes whenever a pegasus pony has the hots for another pony, our wings will stiffen and expand to full length."

"Oh you mean kinda like-." Applejack spoke, trying to joke with the still blushing pegasus before, she was stopped by a hoof to the mouth.

"Yes, not another word about that."

"Fine so. Whats this got to do with today?" Applejack asked, trying to hold back her laughter as Rainbow, began explaining her situation.

"Ahhh, you are so dense sometimes, Applejack my wings did that because..." She paused, gulped down a large knot in her throat and took in a few deep breaths before continuing. "Because, I'm attracted to you." Rainbow said, her head hanging in shame.

"Wow, well I never knew I just..." She was stopped by crying from the cerulean pegasus. "Dash its ok, everythang's gonna be fine." She said, stroking the mane of her scared friend.

"Yeah everything's gonna be fine sure, you think I'm some kinda weirdo now that's just so perfect." Rainbow said, diverting her eyes, from the emerald eyes of the pony she loved.

"No I don't Rainbow, I may be a little shocked but I understand."

"How could you possible understand?"

"Well we have alot in common, and we've spent alot of time together over the years...Maybe, I feel the same way too."

"Really." It was all Rainbow, could come up with, she was shocked at what she just heard.

"Yeah, I was just a little scared ta tell ya, I thought ya might think I was gross but I think we can try us, if'n ya want to." Applejack said, lifting Rainbow's head they looked deep into each others eyes, tears of happiness cascading down both their faces.

"Hay yeah I want too." Rainbow said, wrapping her hooves around her new marefriend's neck, she tried adding her wings into the hug too, but the were still pretty stiff.

"Uh Rainbow. What about you're wings?" Applejack asked, poking at the still stiffened appendages.

"They'll usually go down on there own after a little while, but sometimes you may have to preen them." Rainbow said, as she laid down, she began preening her left wing. As she finished the left she moved to the right, as she finished it she tried reaching the base of her wings. She didn't know why she tried, she could never reach them.

"Need some help there, sugarcube." Applejack asked, in a slightly lower voice, causing her wings to stiffen even more. Before she got an answer Applejack laid down next to her new marefriend, and began preening the base of her wings.

"What are you..." Rainbow said, winching before realizing she felt no pain or discomfort. "How do you..." She was stopped by a pluck of a feather.

"Well ya ain't the first pegasus I've dated Dashie, so I've got some experience with preening." They laid in silence, as Applejack finished preening Rainbow's wings. "There that outta do it, sugarcube."

"Thanks AJ but, if you've dated pegasus ponies before how didn't you know about why my wings were..."

"Well I already knew RD, I just wanted to tease ya a little plus I wanted to make sure I was right."

"Thanks AJ, for everything."

"No problem Dashie but..." Applejack was cut off by a passionate kiss, from the pegasus. After several seconds, Rainbow finally broke the kiss.

"Sorry AJ, I-I just had to do that. What were you saying?" Rainbow said, as both mares struggled to catch their breath.

"Oh I uh was uh..." Applejack's brain was fried so many feelings and emotions were shooting off at once. "I was just gonna say we need a rematch on today's race." Applejack said, with a slight chuckle and blush.

"Why is that Applesmack, you being a sore loser." Rainbow said, jokingly with her new-marefriend.

"Not at all Rainbow Crash but...I kinda let ya win, that there race." Applejack said, giving Rainbow a loving punch in the leg.

"Oh come on, jealous much." Rainbow rubbed the spot were AJ hit as she spoke.

"No its true, I wanted to see if somethin' was wrong with ya and when you didn't show-off about winnin' I knew somethin' was up."

"Anytime, Anywhere AJ."

"How about right now." Applejack said, tearing down the paths of the apple orchards.

"You're on." Rainbow yelled, racing after her new-marefriend.

Just because they were marefriends now didn't mean their relationship had to change. It just meant more lovey-dovey sweet moments, after their competitions. Both ponies now knew whatever the outcome of any competition between them, it didn't matter they found something much more important than winning. They found each other, they found true-love. That's worth more than any win, or any amount of riches in all of Equestria.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2 Complete, AppleDash isn't normally my OTP, but I decided to give it a shot, with this series of one-shots.

Don't worry guys, a chapter based fic, will be coming soon. Thanks for reading, and supporting my fics. Hope you enjoy them. Next chapter set to come out, in about a week or two.