• Published 28th May 2014
  • 535 Views, 12 Comments

Truly Alive - To Define Life



When Dean jumped from his zombie riddled home through the portal, he had no idea what would be on the other side. When faced with new Equestrian problems, life becomes simple. But good things never last...

  • ...
4
 12
 535

Partial Prologue

Prolouge

Date: Don't know, don't care

Location: Middle of nowhere

My name is Dean Styner. Don't ask me how old I am, as I'm not sure for myself. Take a wild guess at 19. For the most part I'm just a teen growing up in an apocalyptic world. But before I can tell you what happened, I need to tell you a something first: I don't know how, I don't know why, but I've always had this ability to download information directly from the source, whether it be a computer, to just a hard drive, to an entire mainframe. Not just that, but I can interact with anything electronic. Yes I was born with it, back in the day people always questioned it.

First of the apocalypse really sucks. Major. It all started with the formation of AFOGG, or Americans For Our Greater Good. It was in organization created by the President of the time ( don't ask me who it was, I forget). Anyhow, so the president gathered each of our greatest scientists, biologists, and weapons specialists in the same place to help make our country and world better and safer.

Now we didn't realize it at the time, but this was the beginning of the end. AFOGG turned out not to be concerned about the country, only on profits. So one day, two facilities were testing out new projects: one was a weaponized synthetic virus, the other a new type of regenerative armor. The explosive testing had been miscalculated, blasting a gigantic hole in both facilities.

The newly made virus escaped, and spread rapidly. Most people became infected. The first effects: harmless. A small cough. A runny nose. Almost like the common cold. Then mutations happened, turning the simple virus into the regenerative menace it was originally sought out to be.

It's way to create it's own pathways in the brain to and from systems was a small inconvenience in itself. Through time, zombies was born.

We no longer had an epidemic, we now have an apocalypse.

So one day, maybe a year and a half later after the start of it all, I happened to stumble on an AFOGG lab. I cleared out the remaining not-so dead people, which with silenced Desert Eagles isn't difficult, and stumbled on something quite extraordinary.

It was like nothing I've ever seen before. A blue... almost glowing cube, made of seemingly raw energy. I put my hand on a computer, and found that they had researched the fact that it could hold potentially limitless amount of data.

They had not been able to crack it though, so it had nothing on it. Like a blank piece of paper. I picked it up and felt the connection immediately. I was able to put all of my memories, like a backup, on to the cube. I was even able to put stuff that I didn't need right away, but might need to use later, such as maps, articles, and gun manuals. This all fits quite sparingly inside the cube. But all things need a name, so I gave it the 'HoloCube', for it's extraordinary ability to holographically project data into the air and for it's shape.

Well, as they say, the past is past and the future is full of opportunities. Sometimes you never know what may happen or when. You just have to be prepared for when it does.

Author's Note:

Hey guys, girls, people, ponies, and whatnot! This has been probably the hardest chapter to write. I've written and re-written the chapter about 6 times.
Thanks for taking the time to read the first chapter and click that favorite button before you move on! I will try to accept OC's. TRY. So far I have no available slots for them, but if any come up, you'll read it in an author's note.

- TDL