• Published 26th May 2014
  • 373 Views, 15 Comments

Legend of the Loch - not the real VAV



A believer of the monster and a professional angler go out on a boat to see if "Nessie" is actually real.

  • ...
 15
 373

Legend of the Docks

Jessie hurried down the cobble streets, his old-fashioned gray Polaroid bouncing against his chest. The leather straps were tight against his neck and it Jessie moved any faster, they would tighten and almost strangle the stallion.

The clumsy earth pony tripped over a cobblestone brick, his orange face hit the ground with a painful SMACK! Jessie rose to his hooves slowly, feeling his snout which hurt like all-

“Hey you okay?”

His green eyes fluttered open to see a yellow-orange mare with a fiery mane. She was looking at Jessie curiously. She had rusty maroon eyes and her lips were tight, her eyes brows raised, looking rather confused.

“Um…yeah.” He rubbed the back of his head.

“I saw you crash into the ground. And-oh.”

“What?” Jessie asked.

Her amber hoof pointed to his chest. Green eyes followed, looking at his rather smashed camera.

“Oh come on!” Jessie huffed as he picked up the remains of the Polaroid.

“Mm…that’s a shame.” The Pegasus mare said. Jessie nodded, rather annoyed with his klutzy self. “Who are you?” he heard her ask.

“Me? I’m Jessie Loch.”

She smiled and reached a hoof out. “Name’s Solar Flare.” They shook.

Her cutiemark was elaborate and large. It was a darker shade of gray, almost black, and ran from her flank and past her thigh. It ended just above her hoof. It had many curves and sharp edges and looked like an actual solar flare.

Jessie found himself jealous of her amazing cutiemark. He glanced back at his. It was a black figure that looked like the famous photo of Nessie herself.

“I’m an astronomer. You?” she asked him. Jessie looked back at her.

“Um…I-I’m just trying to get proof of the monster of the Loch.” He gestured to the large body of water not too far from where they were chatting. She looked out and nodded.

“Are you from Scotland? Live here?”

“Yeah, born and raised. You?”

She shook her head. “My coltfriend-,” she looked at a shop down the road where a red Pegasus was. “-Crimson Typhoon has a friend here he’d like to visit.”

Crimson Typhoon…that name sounded familiar.

“Hey? Is he a Wonderbolt?”

Solar Flare chuckled. “Yeah, kind of, I guess. He’s-uh-he’s a rookie. Great flier but he’s new. They want to show him the ropes.”

After a brief awkward silence, Jessie spoke. “Well I have to go. It was nice meeting you.”

“Yeah, hope to see you around.”

The two separated, the astronomer off after her coltfriend, the believer off to the docks.

It smelled of fish. Yuck! Even after all the trips Jessie took out on boats, he had never grown accustomed to the scent of the sea.

“You here for a trip Loch? Sorry, can’t take you.” A green unicorn said. “A net got caught up in my propeller and it jammed up the whole thing.”

“That’s alright. Do you know where ‘Whirlpool Sturgeon’ is?”

The unicorn looked surprised. He scoffed. “That piss-pot came around here asking for a trip out. But here’s thing. He said he wanted to go further out, closer to the ocean.” The green stallion rolled his eyes. “Said he wanted to catch a larger fish.”

That statement aroused Jessie. Larger fish? Like the Loch Ness Monster?

“Where did he go?”

He pointed down the docks to a blue stallion with brown hair talking to a boat owner. The conversation seemed to be normal until the boat owner shook his head firmly. But the blue pony persisted.

“Thanks.” Jessie trotted down the wooden dock and towards the pony.

He could hear the conversation as he reared closer.

“I ain’t takin’ you nowhere sonny! Get it through yer head!”

“I am a trained specialist in fishing! This trip isn’t going to go wrong!”

“Yes it indeed-doodle-lee-doo. Ain’t gonna matter if you know how to hold a fishin’ rod or not, the water is just too rough out there.”

Jessie knew who the earth pony was talking to now. It was Iron Hull, one of the best captains in Scotland. He had taken a few trips with him before. He was one of the only ponies willing to take him near caves; most said it was too dangerous with the ragged rocks jutting out of the water.

It seemed strange to hear him denying an excellent fisher access to his boat.

“The forecast said there isn’t going to be a storm until tomorrow!”

“And what if there is!? What to do when we’re stuck out there with no friggin’ food? I don’t got a radio system, boy!”

“Well that is a mistake on your part!”

Jessie’s eyes went wide. You didn’t say that to Iron Hull. The grey Pegasus was double the other pony’s size and he had the muscle to knock him out cold. He was usually quite the gentle giant but if you got him mad, he’d smack you upright.

“What’cha say to me? Wanna say it again you toff?”

Iron Hull shoved his gray snout again his blue, his red eyes glaring into the arguer’s blue eyes. He huffed, hot air blowing into their faces.

“I’m no ‘toff’ you boludo.”

“You using fancy language on me?”

“Yo soy porque claramente no puede entenderme a mí. No tiene idea de lo que estoy diciendo.”

Jessie stopped himself from cracking up. Iron Hull eyes were wide, his eyebrows rose. The lad was too confused to function.

The blue earth pony merely chuckled and forced Iron Hull’s snout off his own. “Now if you would be so kind as to show me a fine gentlestallion who would be willing to take me out. Someone who preferably isn’t a putito.”

Iron Hull frowned and pointed left towards a white mare with a short red mane. The earth pony smiled cockily and trotted off.

“Wow.” was all Jessie said.

The tough gray stallion growled and shot a glare at him before tying up his boat.

The orange pony chased after the victorious blue stallion.

“Hey! Hey wait up!” Jessie called to him.

The stallion glanced back. “What?”

“That was incredible. Not many ponies can stand up to an angry Iron Hull and live.” Jessie chuckled. The stallion didn’t laugh but he did smirk.

“I have scars from things a lot more dangerous than that pendejo.”

He was right; there were quite a few marks on him. One of his hoof and one his lower belly looked like teeth marks like the jaws of a beast had latched on to him. There were quite a few scraps: his legs, his sides, his neck, and one near his eye. And one was a small dot on his hind leg.

Jessie realized he was staring.

“That’s a hook mark.”

Jessie looked up.

“I was careful enough. After I released the fish, it flew back and hit my hind leg.”

Jessie looked back to his face. He was done looking at the stallion’s scars.

“Are you Whirlpool Sturgeon?”

Whirlpool nodded. “I am.”

“I was actually looking for you.”

“Mm that’s tough. None of these so called ‘sailors’ is stallion enough to take me out. What is it for?” Whirlpool Sturgeon asked.

“I want to prove the Loch Ness is real.”