• Published 31st May 2014
  • 1,072 Views, 9 Comments

Requiem for a Belle - theNDinspector



The life of a successful young singer can be very glamorous and rewarding, but often comes with great sacrifice. However, some sacrifices might be too much to handle.

  • ...
0
 9
 1,072

Never Took This Road Before

Nearly a week had passed since Sweetie Belle’s parents told her that they were getting a divorce, turning her life upside-down. Rarity had tried to console her sister, but it only led to more problems. Once Sweetie Belle found out that Rarity had known about the problems between their parents for years, she flipped out even further.

Now Sweetie Belle had isolated herself even more than before. Rarity rarely saw her leave her room except around meal times—and even then Sweetie Belle only came out when she felt like doing so, got some food and immediately returned to her room. So it came as a shock to Rarity one early afternoon to find her sister sitting at the kitchen table. She was looking better, and her mane was brushed—though not quite to showpony standards. But something was still off.

“Sweetie Belle, what is that wretched smell?” Rarity asked, scrunching up her nose at a malodorous substance that was right in front of her sister.

“Juice,” Sweetie Belle noncommittally replied.

Rarity took a closer look at the charcoal-grey substance in the glass, and confirmed that there was an empty juice container in the trash can.

“Oh,” Rarity said. “I see you’ve managed to burn juice again.”

Sweetie Belle didn’t respond, choosing instead to stare off into space as she had been the entire morning.

“You know, you can’t keep doing this Sweetie Belle,” Rarity stated. “It never did anypony any good to bottle up their thoughts.”

Sweetie Belle remained silent. Dejected, Rarity turned to the fridge to try and find something to eat as well.

“Why, Rarity?” Sweetie Belle finally asked.

Rarity turned. “Well, I’m not sure on the science behind it; but it seems that if you keep your feelings bottled up, then-“

“No, not that,” Sweetie Belle interrupted. “I mean, why didn’t Mom and Dad tell me about their problems after they had told you? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Probably because you were young, dear,” Rarity sighed. “They didn’t want you to worry about such things at that age. They wanted you to be happy and not burden you with this. I even had to make a Pinkie Pie Promise, so I couldn’t tell you. They wanted to tell you, in person, if things didn’t work out between them; as opposed to finding out due to some rumors.”

“But it feels even worse now,” Sweetie Belle said, beginning to tear up. “It feels as though my entire life has been a lie: the time we spent together, the hugs and kisses…the love. All lies!”

Rarity looked at her sister and how she was crying. She felt her own eyes begin to water up too.

“I’m not going to pretend that Mother and Father made the best decision in not telling you sooner,” Rarity admitted. “But it was what they wanted, and I had to respect their wishes.”

“But why would they get divorced?” Sweetie Belle sobbed. “Why would anypony get divorced?”

The kitchen was silent as Rarity pondered the question—its heavy weight still hanging in the air. Then Rarity sighed.

“It could be any number of reasons,” she finally said. “After our parents told me about their problems, I researched the topic and statistics on divorce. Nearly fifty-percent of marriages these days end in divorce: Most of them happened because the ponies weren’t committed to the marriage. Several ended because of infidelity, and a few others from spousal abuse—probably the few reasons where divorce might be understandable and proper. Some married too young or too fast; on a whim. Some ponies were obliged to marry—or maybe forced to—after some foolish choice they made beforehoof that often resulted in serious consequences. And for some…love just dies.”

Rarity paused for a moment to wipe away the tears from her eyes—mainly out of habit, but it was a futile gesture.

“I suppose that’s what happened to Mom and Dad,” Rarity continued, reverting to more colloquial terms. “I really tried to help them make it work. I encouraged them to keep on seeing marriage counselors and to never give up. With all the things I’ve been able to accomplish—or help with—in my life, I honestly thought I could help keep their marriage from falling apart.”

Rarity sighed, “But I guess there are some things that can’t be fixed; no matter how much effort you put into it.”

Sweetie Belle shifted in her seat. Somehow, this information was making her feel even more resentful than comforted. Although, it wasn’t a pleasant subject to begin with.

“But why would they lie for all these years?” Sweaty Belle asked.

“Sweetie Belle, that isn’t fair!” Rarity replied, feeling deeply hurt by her sister’s accusation. “Mom and Dad tried to make it work, and were happy for quite some time. Just because their love for each other ended doesn’t mean that it was never there! They cared for us, protected us and taught us what we needed to know to live in this world. Mom even sang you lullabies when you were little and tucked you into bed. Are all those lies?”

“No,” Sweetie Belle admitted, bowing her head.

“Thank you,” Rarity said, exasperated. Then she calmed down before continuing. “It’s going to take time to get used to, Sweetie Belle. Even I’m still trying to adjust. But it is no reason to hold a grudge.”

Sweetie Belle was silent, letting the last words of Rarity’s rebuke sink in. She then got up, deliberately discarded her burnt juice and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Rarity asked.

“For a walk,” Sweetie Belle answered. “I really need to clear my head.”

With that, Sweetie Belle left; leaving Rarity behind to watch her depart—stomach growling due to the extremely delayed lunch.