• Published 18th May 2014
  • 1,832 Views, 81 Comments

Monster Hunter P - Friendship is Survival - LakieLegion



After a mishap in the great desert, a monster hunter finds himself in a world where hunting monsters is not as prevalent! Oh, and there are ponies too... ponies everywhere...

  • ...
3
 81
 1,832

Messages from a Mimic

Ian looked up towards the cry he heard overhead to see the dreaded Mimic the call belonged to, easily seeing the tropically colored bird flying high overhead, it's beak expanded out into it's iconic trumpet-like shape, red vocal sac inflated, crying out a great screeching call.

The great flying mimic landed upon the top of the train car holding the Great Wroggi and screeched at the princesses and the hunter, Ian reached behind himself and grasped the grip of his World's Demise in the small of his back, flicking it forwards, the lance locked into it's full length as the hunter readied himself into a fighting stance.

The monstrous bird huffed at the warrior, ruffling the feathers on it's back, before inflating the vocal sac, an eeriee noise warbled from the creature before screeching and becoming a recognizable speech pattern.

"Hummmmmm-aaaaan skrawk! I brrrrrr-ing a mmmmm-esssss-age frrrrrr-om the grrrrrrr-eat Drrrrrr-agonssssss skrawk!" fumbled the large bird, everyone was shocked when they heard the words fumbling out of the long beak of the beast, everyone gasped before it continued.

"Surrrrrrr-enderrrrr yourrrrrr-sssssself to yourrrrrrrr fate skrawk! We will not tolerrrrrrrrr-ate yourrrrrrr prrrrrrr-essssssence in thisssssss new land we intend to conquerrrrrrrr skrawk! you sssssssshall faaaaaaaa-ll skrawk!" the large tropical bird then deflated it's vocal sac, signalling that it was finished, everyone was speechless, and looking between themselves, Luna looked to the hunter.

"What dost it mean? what is this... creature, Hunter?" the lunar diarch asked, Ian looked to the archaically speaking moon goddess with a grim frown.

"Qurupeco are simple mimics, they mimic the cries of other creatures almost perfectly and use it to call monsters to attack those hunting it, but never has one been witnessed mimicking speech, however, the message is cryptic, and we have no means of clarification on the plans of whatever taught it to deliver this message" Ian replied before looking down, deep in thought

"But... what it mentioned, 'the great dragons', we know of few in my world, and each I have hunted, but never have they spoken to us, I wonder, are some of these creatures smarter than we have been led to believe by their outward demeanor? we may never know, but I know what it means to do, it means to eliminate me" Ian glared at the large colorful bird, which inflated it's vocal sac once more before screeching at the hunter and taking off once more.

Ian moved to follow the monster as it flew to the other side of the castle, but a hoof moved to stop him, the hunter turned around to see Full Guard holding him back, behind the grizzled guard, stood Ruby Aegis, Shining Armor, Big Macintosh and Twilight, all with determined looks on their faces.

"We're goin' with ya lad, ye may need reinforcements te take down the beastie, and a few veterans of combat wouldnae hurt eh? not to mention a few green hooves, but a trial by fire is always a good way to train" Full Guard said, the others nodding their agreement by his sides, Ian nodded swiftly to the general, before moving to the armaments and armor along the train station's barracks.

Eying up the weapons and armor Ian picked a few select pieces for the ponies of the group that wanted to fight, he passed a set of wing blades to Rainbow Dash(after getting an explanation of what they were used for) and a set of light leather armor(which, like all leather used by ponies, was a substitute version of hides), to allow for her flight to be unhindered, to Twilight he passed a short sword and enchanted armor.(which, as he was told, was hard to make, as it required a large amount of magic to cast the enchantment that made the fake leather hard as steel)
Ian then passed matching scale mail armor to Big Mac and Applejack, as well as a mace to the mare and a maul to the stallion(both opted to forgo their helmets, preferring their own adornments of a stetson and a yoke for the mare and stallion respectively), surprisingly, Pinkie also volunteered, picking her own gear of a large hatchet and a set of old bloodstained leather armor that was deemed unworthy by it's previous owner(the mare also had a slightly crazed grin upon her face when Ian looked at her, but when he looked back, it was mysteriously gone, replaced with her normal gleeful one), unfortunately, all the armor was mostly ill fitting, and every pony hefted their weapons the wrong way.(except Big Mac and Pinkie, each hefted their tools as if they had wielded something similar in the past, and with relative ease despite the weight of their weapons)

---------------------

Before long, the group set out into the town to combat the bird(will many well wished from both princesses, Luna herself looked like she wished she could join the combat, but Celestia forbade her), everypony had a look of grim determination on their faces, the small combat force walked in their own groups, Full Guard(whom hefted a rather large, shiny sword like a twig, apparently it was an entire scale from the first adult dragon he slew, and was extremely sharp, dense and lightweight) walked beside Ruby Aegis(whom had a shield of solid ruby and a scythe with a matching head floating in her ruby red magical grasp, apparently they were made from a Ruby Golem the unicorn had felled singlehoofedly), the two talking between themselves.

Shining Armor marched by his sister's side, giving the younger mare pointers on how to use the weapon properly, in a sheathe on his side held an ornate longsword, and floating in his magical grasp was a golden pike and a large, gilded tower shield, trailing behind the captain of the guard and his sister was an unhappy Flash Sentry, whom was forced to come, attached to his wings were a set of over-ornate wing blades which looked as if they had never seen battle before, the unhappy pegasus was shooting glares at the back of his three superior's heads as well as at Ian himself.

Finally, trailing in the back were Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and surprisingly, Fluttershy, whom was carrying a large white pack with a large red cross printed on it, Pinkie was bouncing along happily, her heavy axe held much like a twig in her mouth as she bounced, literally bounced along, while Fluttershy and Rainbow were hovering along, talking to each-other.

Eventually, the group caught sight of the Qurupeco, it was perched on the steeple of a Celestial church near the castle itself, it looked to be waiting for it's foe, when it caught sight of it's opponents, it puffed out it's vocal sac before letting free a screeching cry, similar to it's own, a second cry came in reply, as the cousin of the Qurupeco flew onto the roof of the opposite building.

The Crimson Qurupeco, let off another cry of it's own, before the two puffed up their vocal sacs in complete synchronization, letting out a bark and a howl, simultaneously, before ten bipedal figures burst out of the marble streets, said figures had double kneed, digitigrade legs, their fur was a slate grey, although some had more brown colored fur, and seemed to be canine in appearance, each wore brighter grey plate-mail armor and horned war helmets, in their paws they held either a jagged and worn short sword or a rusty war pick.

"Diamond Dogs" Ian heard Full Guard growl as the grizzled general stood up on his hind legs, looming over Ian in height, out from the bottoms of his bracers a pair of translucent five digit hands grew, the grizzled warrior gripped his great-sword in his new hands and leveled his weapon at the bipedal dogs.

"Let's dance Hunter" the old soldier said, grinning, before charging the dogs with a war cry.

Author's Note:

i was on a roll, so i popped out another written babby for you :rainbowlaugh:

and so begins another battle!

this time, in the Monster's corner! Qurupeco, the Colorful Bird, Crimson Qurupeco, the Crimson Colorful Bird and ten Diamond Dogs!

VS!

Master Hunter Ian, General Full Guard, Lieutenant General Ruby Aegis, Captain Shining Armor, Lieutenant Flash Sentry, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Big Macintosh, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy!

one will be scarred for life! one will mentally break! and a character that has spoken this chapter will die! (you have three guesses, and only Qurupeco will be right :trollestia:)


on a note, the Ruby Aegis shield and Ruby Reaper are made from the enchanted gemstones of a golem, therefore, any real-life physics regarding them breaking in any way will be moot, as enchanted crystals can only be chipped by diamond or a dragon's claws, on another note on things in this chapter, the hand gauntlets used by Full Guard are even more rare than the armor used by Twilight in the coming fight, and are made by using Pony magic, Zebra alchemy and Dragonfire, so only those strong enough to force a dragon to give them it's fire are able to make them, and only Celestia and the eldest dragon lords remember how to forge them (bit of headcanon lore for you there for a device of my making)


also, pretty short chapter here, at least, compared to the last two *shrug* we has fight coming, and Ian shall be using more than one weapon in this next one