• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 6,311 Views, 104 Comments

The Night's Fangs - Cavenerd20



A man wakes up in a hospital with amnesia. The hospital is run by ponies, and he apparently arrived carrying their Princess on his back. He died soon after, or so they thought. The strangest thing of all? He's less worried than they are.

  • ...
20
 104
 6,311

Prologue

Luna ran.

The Princess of the Night, Mare of the Moon, and second most powerful magician in Equestria ran through the dark, dense underbrush of the Everfree Forest as though all the demons of Tartarus were on her tail.

Panting in fear and exhaustion, tears streaming down her cheeks, she ran.

Screaming, “HELP! HELP! HELP ME!” blood streaming from several claw marks on her sides, she ran.

Finally, she could run no longer. She collapsed in a clearing, gasping for breath, left wing resting at an unnatural angle. All around her, there were only the sounds of the night. Owls hooted, crickets chirped, and the occasional Timberwolf howled. Luna flinched fearfully at the baleful baying, but eventually her terror subsided.

“It’s gone,” she said, when her breath had returned, “I lost it. Oh, thank goodness, I lost it! I lost- AAAAHH!”

She screamed as a large hairy creature leapt out of the underbrush and lifted her like a ragdoll. Luna was thrown sideways against a tree and felt her ribs break. She squinted at the creature through a haze of agony.

How is it unharmed? My spells could have destroyed a full-grown dragon! How is it still alive?

The creature stalked closer, its nose snuffling at her scent. It stood on its hind legs and gave a bloodcurdling howl. The forest echoed with its terrible ululation.

Then it leapt at her, flipping her on her back as if she weighed nothing.

It pinned her to the tree.

Tears came to Luna’s eyes as she felt its hot breath on her neck. She looked into its terrible yellow eyes.

“Please…” she begged, “please…stop…”

Moonlight streamed into the clearing, and Luna felt her moon above her head. She looked up into its glow one last time. Fare thee well, old friend, she thought, releasing a choked sob, At least the last thing I see will be you.

To Luna’s amazement, the beast recoiled from her. Its eyes were wide, its ears lowered and its tail tucked between its legs. Then it rushed forward, and as Luna lost consciousness from pain, fear, fatigue and blood loss, she could swear she heard the terrible creature-the one that had almost torn out her throat-doing something she thought impossible of it; whimpering like a lost puppy, its head resting over her heart.