• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 944 Views, 6 Comments

The Mare who Holds Man's Chaos - uz_mike222



Rainbow Dash traveling with a human to find something he lost.

  • ...
2
 6
 944

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Night dominated the land as the moon shined over it like an all seeing eye, bringing a small chilling breeze to the denizens of the planet it watched below as they slept. However, that darkness was soon broken and scattered by the Sun ‘s warm rays as it rose over the snow capped mountains of the Eastern ridge. It rose high until it was a good inch above the tallest peak. From the point of view of one of the many denizens, it was blocked by a hand, a human hand, so it didn’t hurt the owners eyes as they check the Sun's position.

The hand dropped after the owner figured out the estimated time by the position of the sun: roughly ten minutes past 10. The human, a male human, continued on his path through the forest he was traversing through so he could progress on finding and completing his goal.

The man was 6’1” with short, disheveled, dust brown hair. His face was bit angular, but was also slightly curved at his cheeks. The iris color of his eyes was a light green with a bit of blue in it, almost looking hazel. A brownish-tan rag covered his hair, nose and curved jaw, only leaving his eyes and the bridge of his nose to bear the leaves and branches of the forest. He wore a white undershirt that was covered by a black, long-sleeved shirt with a close-nit neckline. Both shirts were tucked into a set of olive-drab cargo pants that were bloused into a set of 11” tan boots that are military grade quality. Over his black shirt, he had a pure, brown leather belt with a brown leather machete sheath threaded so the grip of the weapon would be pointing down and to his right, for easy access, along with a basic combat belt that was threaded through the pants' loops. The machete was held in place by a single snap that was placed below the small, round guard and rested on the grip. He also wore a poncho made of pure rabbit fur that he made himself from all the rabbit he caught and ate in the woods so he could save his man-made rations.

He pushed his way through the trees, only having to cut through the wedged in branches and leaves with a long combat knife that resembled an old K-Bar that the Marine Corps and Navy Corpsman used in the Pacific Theater of World War II. The blade was coated with a flat, no stick, black paint while the handle was a light tanned leather. The knife was light weight, easy to store in most sheaths, which he used a boot sheath for it, and could be used for a secondary for extreme close combat, but that’s if he lost his machete which has never happened.

He carried one more knife on him. Though it was a small combat switch blade and couldn’t be used for much. The blade near the guard to halfway up the blade, which was a couple inches long, was serrated, making it easy to cut most things that require it. The blade still did its purpose when he wanted precision cutting on fruits from the trees, and cutting the meat he ate into pieces.

He spotted an opening in the wood and used the trees for cover, moving towards the opening in a crouch, jumping from tree to tree. He stopped at the last tree before it led into an open field. He saw straw rooftops and chimneys letting smoke trickle out in a steady stream. A road led from the town proper to a small school house while going to another part of the town.

The Schoolhouse was brightly colored with some trees around the outside, with wooden fencing cutting out an area that had a tetherball court and a two person swing set that was placed over grass and dirt, respectively. Out on the front was a sign that had a giant book carved on the front; the man couldn’t make out anything else without risking a closer inspection. On the opposite side the road from the sign was a flag pole that flew a plain red banner with some shape atop it, but he knew it was a quadruped. The house was a bright pink color with hearts placed atop the windows, at the base of the school’s bell and was used instead of a feather for the wind pointer. Next to the flagpole was a bush that gave shape to what looked like a horse with a rounded muzzle wearing a cap used for graduations.

He didn't want to stay any longer since the bell rang for a long while but he couldn't move because he was captivated by nine small horses leaving the school room because these were the first sentient beings he's seen. They were smaller than regular horses and looked like they’d go about to his below his waist. Another horse came out and it would probably be as tall as his upper torso, maybe up to his shoulders. The horses were made from bright colors of the rainbow with every combination in the book. They seemed to laugh as they walked to the town, though, they were separated small groups. Their voices, though, sounded human enough, but the language they spoke was a like they were speaking English, but he wasn't able to tell due to them being far away.

He saw one of the smaller ponies look his way, giant pink bow tied into its crimson red mane, swaying as it turned its head. He ducked behind a tree, machete sheath pressing against his back while sweat started to drip down near his eyes. He looked a minute later and the road was empty. Good. He wanted to look into whatever information he could find inside the school, hoping to find anything useful about the place he was in and the inhabitants.

He stole his way to the school as he sprinted across the open field; luckily he left his poncho back with his pack at the edge pf the forest since it was heavy for the tasks he needed his mobility for. He hopped over the fence low like it was hurdle, dashing and sliding under one of the windows and he dared to look up, peaking into the room. It was a single room with different teaching tools and many other things, most notable a telescope, the blackboard and what looked liked small desks.

The man saw no one inside the school and checked the door knob. It creaked a little as it moved, but it was unlocked. He quickly maneuvered into the room and latched the door silently behind him. He moved past the desks in the middle of the room quickly and stopped at the desk. He looked over the desk and found it neatly organized so the owner knew nothing was out of place.

He noticed a stack of papers and picked one up. He looked over the contents and realized it was basic multiplication and division, which was something, taught to maybe 3rd to 4th graders. He didn’t remember much of those times as he trudged on that wandering path he now found himself on, replacing the old memories with new ones. Those old memories were from a time before he and his colony arrived in this dimension.

As he set the paper back on top of the stack, he moved to look behind the desk and found an atlas under the desk. He opened up to the front page and saw the table of contents list off many different names, most of them seemed like puns from he could tell. He looked over the different cities, though he couldn’t make sense of the characters since they looked like English words, just bunched together in a random order. One, however, jumped out to him as he moved his finger down the length of the page, accidentally smudging the ink a little bit, which he just wiped it onto his shirt and thought nothing of it. He didn’t know what the name was and he didn’t want to take the time he barely had anyway to try and understand the written language that this horses made.

After putting the name of the town on his small map he had created, and put the atlas back into its spot, he turned to leave the room but saw a small yellow horse with that same red hair color and that distinctive giant pink bow watching him with its orange eyes from the door. His eyes went wide as the small horse moved towards him, but made its way to a bag of some sort, using decorative apples for the clasps to the small desk in the exact middle of the box of desks in the middle of the room. The horse put the bag over its back and watched him the entire time with an indifferent face as he made his way to the front door, slipping the piece of paper back into his front right pocket of his pants. He closed the door after the little horse exited and watched it galloped down the road, probably to tell someone about him, so he didn’t stay at the school any longer. He walked onto the main road and sprinted towards the direction of the wooded area he was in and made his way back to his camp so he could gather the rest of his gear to leave the area as quickly as he could.

-

Applebloom ran back to the school with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in tow. She was bouncing around the two fillies excitedly as they walked up the road to the schoolhouse.

“Could you please tell me what you saw again, so I can try and make sense of it?” Scootaloo asked, skeptical.

“Ah’m tellin’ ya, Ah saw a tall monkey thing in the schoolhouse while he was alooking at the atlas.”

“What was it doing with the atlas?” Sweetie Belle asked, genuinely curious.

“Ah don’ know but Ah guess it got lost and needed to know where its at.”

“Why didn’t ask when you came in then,” Scootaloo asked, skepticism still etching her voice.

“Ah couldn't because it saw me coming into the room,”

"Did you try and say something to it?" Scootaloo asked.

"Ah wanted to but my brain was all jumbled up while my tongue became tied, but Ah did notice it wrote som’thin’ down on a slip of paper.” Applebloom stopped hopping and looked a bit sad, she didn’t know why.

"Did you see if it write anything down?" Sweetie asked.

"Ah did see it write something, but Ah don't know what it was. It did use a pencil with claw,"

“Well, we at least know it can write so we know it’s intelligent like us.” Scootaloo shouted excitedly as she jumped into the air, small wings flapping as they tried to pick her up, to no avail. “I wonder if it can fly or something!”

“Ah doubt it since Ah didn’t see any wings. And it didn’t have horn neither so it probably couldn't do magic.”

They grew silent as they came upon the school. Scootaloo opened the door but it was empty. Applebloom walked the length of the room and came to a stop at the desk. She pulled out the atlas, setting on the floor and flipped it to the front page. she studied it for a bit until she noticed a slight smudge moving towards the bottom of the page; it was near the names of the different cities in Equestria.

“From that slight smudge in this book, I guess it wanted to know where it was at.” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

“Yes, but where is it going? That’s the question.” Scootaloo asked.

“Ah don’t know and Ah guess we won’t find out unless we meet that creature again.” Applebloom answered, a bit saddened since she won’t be able to see the creature again.

They walked out of the school and Applebloom closed the door behind her.

-

The little yellow horse with the giant pink bow bumped into her friends, or at least he guessed it was a girl and they were her friends. She asked something in an annoyed tone, but her tone changed when she looked up and saw him again. Thankfully he wore his mask so they couldn’t identify his face.

The man saw the panic and terror in the little horses’ eyes as their mouths hung open. Then, what amazed him, their mouths turned into smiles, the panic and fright turned into excitement and happiness as they began to look everything he owned. One of them even jumped onto his pack, making him drop it to the ground due to the sudden increase in weight which he could not handle. He roared as loud as he could and it set the three straight as they sat in front of him, staring.

He heard shouting in the distance and saw two bigger ponies running towards him and the three small ones. He wanted to run and hide from them so he could continue on his journey, but he wasn't able to move at all. His instincts screamed and yelled at him to move, to run, to get away, but he was frozen; he couldn't move anything, hell, he couldn't even blink which made his head scream even more.

The one on the left had a lavender coat with lavender eyes. It had violet hair with a purple and pink stripe. He noticed a horn that was glowing jutting out of its forehead. So this unicorn was the reason why he couldn't move at all. The other pony was orange with blond hair. Both tail and mane had two read scrunches’ at the bottom. The orange one had green eyes and wore something that baffled him more than the unicorn: a cowboy hat.

The two ponies began to talk to three little ones, but the one with the pink boy stood up to the other two as she stood on her hind legs and put her front legs up like a makeshift barrier, the small orange one with light purple hair, as the gray-ish white one with light pink and purple hair did the same. They were trying to protect him even if they never even knew him or his intentions.

He then saw the glowing horn on the purple one glow brighter. A bright light blinded him completely. He tried blinking away the light but he remembered his eyelids couldn't move. The light, however, went away after a while and he saw those tiny little white flakes swimming around his vision. He wanted to blink them away but still was unable to. However, the unicorn's horn stopped glowing and he slumped to the ground, one knee on it. He stood up and stretched his long limbs and rubbed his eye while blinking so his vision could clear.

The two ponies walked up to in a defensive manner while asking him questions, however, he wasn't able to respond, that's when the orange grew antsy and attacked with its back legs, though the purple one called out in a negative manner to the action. He quickly ducked under and used his left shoulder to push the horse onto its back and its face near him. The other one charged and he had to quickly dove out of the way. He rolled back onto his feet and stood in a low crouch. The orange one with the cowboy hat tried a frontal charge again but he jumped as high as he could and landed on top of it, facing away from the head.

He looked back and noticed the mouth moved into a smile, his stomach became filled with butterfly's. The horse began to buck as he held on tight as he could to the tail, which made the horse buck even hard. He stood onto the horse's back, hands still holding onto the tail. As the orange horse brought its back legs up, he let go of its tail and pushed off with legs. He landed on the ground and rolled, until he flipped onto his legs again, stopping in a sumo wrestlers stance.

Another charge happened but this time he steeled himself and grabbed hold of the horse, lifting it up a bit. It pushed him back with its strong back legs but he held fast as he dug his heels into the ground, trying not to give the horse much ground. They came to standstill as each one tried pushing the other off their feet (or hooves) until he got the upper hand since the horse heard something. The man succeeded to be the first one to start pushing and quickly gained more ground as he pushed with all of his might. The horse cried as it fell flat on its back, K-Bar to its throat. He saw the defiance and fear in its eyes as it stared at him. It was short lived, however, since he heard a few indistinct cries.

Something heavy hit him in his side, sending him tumbling far away, making him lose his grip on his knife. He slid to a stop, face down in the dirt, but he quickly got up, grabbing his side from the bruise that would pop up soon, and grabbed his knife since it was near by. He took off his poncho and set on the floor, along with his brown mask.

He saw the purple horse was back and it seemed to have brought a few friends: one with a red coat and short orange hair, the other had a cyan colored coat with rainbow colored hair. He knew he was out numbered and at an extreme disadvantage since he didn’t know much about these species other than them being miniature horses; ponies he believed they were called.

The cyan one flapped its wings and soared up into the air. A Pegasus, huh? Now he has seen everything. It dove straight towards him, he doubt he’d be able to dodge the pony. He closed his eyes and positioned himself so that he would take less damage than intended, and that was to fall flat on his back before the Pegasus could hit him.

He opened his eyes back up and found himself still standing, left hand still over his right side. He pushed his side hurt side again, but immediately regretted it since he felt a couple of his ribs were cracked. It would take him a couple of weeks for them to repair, so he was going to have to take it easy, that is if he could escape this predicament he was in. He then heard cries of the cyan and purple colored ponies fighting over something while the orange and red ones watched him. It was going to be tough to grab his stuff, but he believed he would manage it, until something forcibly entered his mind which forced him onto his back as he writhed around in pain.

Though the process only took a seconds to do, it felt like an hour had gone by while a needle scraped his skull and brain, like it was etching something into his mind.

“There, you should be able to understand us now.” The purple coated pony told him. “My name is Twilight Sparkle and these are my friends: Rainbow Dash, who is the Pegasus pony, Big Macintosh is the red coated Stallion and Applejack is the one with the hat. Who are you and what are you doing here in Ponyville?” She pointed to each one respectively then got into her attack stance, horn pointed towards him as it began to glow.

“Captain Victor “Vic” Hanlan, United Democratic Defense Force, Serial number is 451H96T,” He told them in a serious tone, eyes and face calm but indifferent.

“Is that all you have to say?” The Pegasus asked in an annoyed tone as she slowly flew around him. The athletic one, he guessed.

“That is all I have to say when interrogated by the enemy.”

“But we’re not the enemy, you are!” The pony with the cowboy hat shouted.

“Now sis, let the creature share its side of the story.” The red one said, in an easy tone with a carefree expression on his face. Guess the red and orange ones are siblings and since the red one is a male, he’ll most likely understand more than the females.

“Hogwash! He’s probably a scout for a larger force that’s here to conquer us! Ah, don’t trust him one bit.” The orange one countered; cheeks red with anger that he beat her in a fight. “He even says he’s in the military by spoutin’ that fancy rank and those numbers!”

“I agree with your brother Applejack. Besides, you unjustly attacked him without warning.” The purple said matter-of-factly.

“Ah still don’t trust it, but Ah’ll give it a chance to speak.” she humphed as she sat down on the grass, legs splayed wide.

“Thank you,” Vic said as he moved towards his pack, “I just happened to be wandering by through that forest over there and saw this settlement. I was hoping to find information on where I was at and where I needed to go. Suffice it to say, the latter still has yet to be met. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be on my way again since none of you will have no idea what I’m searching for considering I’m the first and last of my kind to visit here.” He placed his K-Bar into its sheath and grabbed his pack and put it on his shoulders after his poncho and mask, which he just wrapped around his neck.

As he took a step away from the group of ponies, then he felt weightless and unwillingly flew close to the purple coated pony. He wasn’t good with names, especially with the stuff he wants to forget from past experiences of growing attached to others.

“Oh no, you’re not leaving anywhere. Not until I do some tests on what your species is and where you came from. For now, you’ll be staying in Applejacks barn.”

“Why my barn, Twi?!” Applejack(?) gasped cheeks turning even more red.

“Because, it is the biggest and almost secluded place in the entire town. Besides, I doubt this creature could walk on clouds so Rainbow’s house is out of the question.”

He knew he had no choice in the matter and was dragged away by this Twilight down a road that ran outside of the town and led to a farm called Sweet Apple Acres. It was an apple orchard and one of the biggest he’s seen since the trees went past a small mountain, but they filled his vision. He was led to a big barn that looked well taken care of and was set down in the middle of the barn. All four ponies left him as they shut the open door, trying to slam it but failed, which made him chuckle a little bit.

He set his pack and poncho down, stood up and made his way up the loft of the barn. He silently walked his way to the far back window and climbed onto the roof. He crawled the entire length and watched the unicorn and red pony gallop off, while the Pegasus and the orange one stood outside the door. Guess they’re his guards for now. He can easily slip by the orange one, but with the cyan Pegasus, it was going to be tough since she could fly and spot him while he ran. The only decision he could make was to endure what the unicorn had in store for him and hopefully he would be let go soon otherwise, he was going to leave at night.

An hour passed when one of the barn doors opened up. Vic stood up and watched the unicorn and the male bring in some type of scientific equipment. He guessed they brought in a brain analyzer, a DNA analyzer and species classifier, along with a few others he couldn’t name

The unicorn expertly set all the machines up and hooked them up to various parts of his body, most notably a dome-shaped one that had blinking lights on it after he had to remove his brown t-shirt.

The machines blinked, whirred and made other sounds as they chugged along, collecting different data entries from his body and working out what it all meant. It would be a long process, so he decided to close his eyes a bit, until, he guessed, the brain scanner whirred even louder as it gathered in the new data on what he had just made since he was adjusting his brain waves to.

A ding came when all the machines were collectively done and the ponies anxiously waited for the long sheet of paper to finally stop. Another ding and the page stopped after 20 folds collectively. The unicorn picked it up with some type of levitation magic or something and read the data that was on the page.

“How can this be?!” She screamed aloud, worried and excited at the same time.

“What is it, Twi?” The cowboy hat wearing pony asked, curious.

“His DNA sequence, his genome and chromosomes are all similar to a monkey’s, but his brain is able to hold about 112 billion neurons and has a bigger cerebral cortex than us, how is this even possible. His brain wave patterns are similar to ours though.”

“In English please,” the Pegasus said in her annoyed tone, flapping lazily in the air.

“Let’s just say my species is the evolved form of the primate you…ponies are used to. My species scientific name is Homo sapiens’ or ‘wise man’ in a language that we knew in our earlier history that is being learned today, although minutely. We are capable of any and all basic brain functions that any mammal is capable of making, but we have evolved to the point we have colored vision, speech, longer memories, being able to make rational decisions instead of instinctual ones and the like that you all have, I assume?”

The unicorn nodded.

“OK. We’re much similar in thought process and brain power, and maybe our Intelligence Quotient or IQ is similar in records, maybe you ponies have a higher IQ than us humans, which I wouldn’t be surprised at all, in the way our species has been going so far. Anyway, I’ve said more than I should have. If you don’t mind, I’d like some sleep, I have long ways to walk in the morning.” He laid back down against his pack, put his hands behind his head and closed his, hearing the brain analyzer whir and beep as the new information streamed into it.

“Hold on a minute. Your telling me that even though, you…humans have larger brains, that your IQ is lower than ours? How is that possible?”

“The evolution of science, the human nature of trying to make our lives easier, attention spans becoming shorter as well as short-term memory loss and the social norms. They all made an impact on our lives, for better or for worse. Due to the advancement of our technology, our average IQ has decreased from 100, which is average, down to 95. Our genius level was considered to be at 130, but that dropped to 125 now. The highest record so far has been for man the science community, especially in the physics community, is Albert Einstein. He was man that revolutionized what we thought about our universe and what more mysteries it could hold for us to discover.” He rambled, his eyes still closed.

“What about you, what is your IQ?” The unicorn asked.

“132. That’s my IQ. Though, I may be smart and able to become clever, my brain cannot wrap around mathematics and all of those numbers. My genius lies in the creativity of art like writing, music, and other forms of those.” He opened his eyes and sat back up. “However, the art I grew up learning was the Art of Fighting and Killing. I didn’t have much of a choice in the matter, but I am glad it is going to help me in the fight I have coming up soon. No more questions please, let me sleep.” He laid back down against his pack after the unicorn unplugged her machines and wheeled them away.

The door closed a half an hour later and night fell four hours after that, he fell asleep after they left since he had a long night ahead and needed to quickly get back on track.