• Published 4th May 2014
  • 1,557 Views, 10 Comments

Something Different - BlackWingsRed



A guy goes to Equestria and has to deal with obstacles along the way to get home

  • ...
11
 10
 1,557

Chapter 9: A new Arrival

Chapter 9: A new Arrival

(Continued from chapter 8)


The day faded as the sun was already nearing sunset. Ponyville remained full of life as usual, except for the Red Unicorn that appeared out of the blue. He had already gotten over the bridge and soon began to near a few familiar parts of town. Buildings were styled in all sorts of shapes and designs. The path through town was full of other multicolored ponies that it would've drove a normal person crazy. "I really have to hurry up and get this over with." He thought to himself. He looked at the center of the map and noticed the round building at the center. "I guess this is the place."

He had reached the Town hall but as he walked towards it he notice a grey Pegasus flying above him. "Excuse me Mister?" Asked the derped Pegasus.

The unicorn looked around looking for the owner of the voice. "Uh... Hello?" He turned once again only to see the door and nobody around him.

"Up here mister." Said the derpy pony. She sat atop the roof of the mayors office. "Have you seen a crazy brown pony running around?" She stared at the red pony as he scratched his chin.

"Nope, I don't think so. Why and how did you get up there?" Asked the red Unicorn.

"Oh, no reason I'm just looking for somepony. And I'm a Pegasus duh, I can fly." She jumped into the air and hovered for a bit until she suddenly fell to the ground. "Umm oops... Sorry about that."

"Are you okay?!" Shouted the unicorn as he rushed to help her up.

"Yeah I am-" her eyes quickly locked onto something and she quickly dashed away towards it.

"Ok... Not weird.." He whispered to himself as he pushed opened the door. Inside he looked around but, nobody was in sight other than that sneezing mare. he trotted over and knocked on the desk. "Hello there I am looking for the mayor, do you think you can tell me where I can find her?"

"Oh yes dear just like I told those little fillies earlier. She's over at the windmill." Said the old assistant her eyes scanning a document. "You must be that new pony moving into the old windmill am I correct?"

"Dang, the princess must've known this was going to happen as well." The red Unicorn thought. He turned his attention back to the old assistant and nodded his head yes.

"Then you're just in time the place should be just about finished. They started working on the place a few days ago."She took her eyes off the paper and looked up at him. "Once you find the mayor she will have you sign these papers and then we will need to complete your identification papers."

The red unicorn once again nodded his head as he brought out the map once again. He found a small part of the map that had been marked by a big red circle. "Thank you. I think I got it."

"Alright we'll see you later then" she waved a hoof and returned to scanning her documents. As the unicorn reached the door a sudden sneeze surprised him. He turned around to see that the old mare wipe her nose with a handkerchief. He opened the door and exited. He then proceeded to follow the map.


At the spa

The girls after having been treated with all sorts of things such as mineral baths, hoof pedicures, and many other procedures. Finally left the Spa. "That was truly Divine. I haven't seen my horn shine like this in ages." Rarity jumped as she celebrated in glee. Pinkie joined in and mimicked almost all of Rarity's actions.

"But Rarity weren't you just here Yesterday? Asked Pinky stoping in mid air then slowly sinking to the ground.

"I gotta admit Twilight that was good and relaxing but, I gotta go and collect Apple Bloom and head on home. I reckon Big Mac is probably done with today's buckin." Added Applejack tying her mane and tail to their usual styles.

Rainbow dash sighed as she got off the massage table and began to pop her back. "Woo... That's just what I needed." She jumped into the air and hovered while Fluttershy just watched as she quietly got off her own massage table and walked over to the rest of them.

Twilight sat happily as she checked her list. "Hey Twilight looks like everyone is done here. Where are we going now?" Asked Spike as he approached. He still wore a towel from a previous bath.

Twilight waved her scroll towards him and exposed the final act. "A sleep over." She announced in a happy manner. She rolled the scroll back up and put it into her saddle. She got up and trotted over to her friends. Her mane flowed thanks to a recent hair treatment. "So who's gonna be joining us for a sleepover tonight?"

Her friends looked at her with some happy yet sad expressions. Applejack was the first to speak up. "I have apple buckin on my list of things. But maybe next time sugar cube." She said as she put her right hoof forward.

"I think I can make it if I feed Angel and the others early today." Whispered Fluttershy as she also put her hoof forward.

Pinkie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash all had the same answer. "Of course we are." With that everyone except Applejack were going.

"That settles it. If we can meet up at the library later, we can get the party started." Twilight then rolled up the scroll and packed it away.

Spike after wiping off the remains of his bath threw the towel aside and picked up an Equestria Daily and began to read. "I'll meet you all later. I have to ask the mayor something. Come on Spike" the little dragon walked over and hopped on while still reading the piece of paper. With that she teleported herself out of the room.


At the center of town

The red unicorn sat near a fountain as he continued to try to memorize the map. Slowly his eyes fixed on several of the buildings that stand out among the others. The town hall seemed to be the tallest building in the whole area. The map also depicted a buildup of tents, areas full of cottages, a few of the shops. He sighed and picked his head up towards the town hall.

Getting up, he caught a glimpse of the grey Pegasi and a few other bunch of the ponies heading towards him. So he chose to run towards another path that was on the map.

Finally making it to the construction site. Mayor mare and the crew were already putting the last of the equipment away. As the construction crew pulled their wagon full of tools away, the red unicorn trotted his way to the entrance and knocked. Mayor mare quickly answered the door. "Oh. hello there you must be the one the princess mentioned please I will need you to follow me to my office. But, why don't you just drop your belongings here."

Remaining silent he did as she said though his mind was not at ease. He placed the saddle bag by the slightly new sofa and made his way out the door and back to following the Mayor

"Now then, I must welcome you to this town. But I am curious to know. When did you start studying under the princess? I thought she only had one student." Asked the Mayor waving a hoof at a pony standing behind a booth. He was unsure of what to say he kept his head low as he tried to think of an excuse. Thinking back he wondered how long ago it was he started. "Well?..." The mayor still waited for a response.

The red Unicorn suddenly remembered what he was doing and answered. "A... Umm... A while now." He stammered accidentally tripping over an apple. Into a bunch of little fillies."Oww..."

"Wow!...Are you alright mister?" A little voice asked.

The Red Unicorn opened his eyes only to see a hoof poke him in his eye. " Yeah im-... Ack!" He quickly got up and rubbed his face.

"Oops! Sorry mister!" The little filly quickly backed away. To her friends. "What did you do Sweetie Belle?" Another voice asked coming closer towards them.

Slowly the Red Unicorn opened his eyes to see a familiar trio. The first thing he locked onto was a big pink bow. "It's... It's you guys from the cave again?..." Suddenly he realized his situation. "Uhh never mind wrong person! I'm new in town soooo... Wait up Mayor!" He blurted out in a panicked then suddenly ran towards the mayor and followed behind her.

"What was that about?..." Asked Apple Bloom scratching her head. She then began to fix up the mess where the Red Unicorn fell. "Hey Sweetie Belle! Mind helping me out here?"

Sweetie Belle hopped over and began helping her friend. "Hey Scootaloo aren't you gonna help us? Or are you gonna stare at them all day? Scootaloo?" She stopped helping and trotted over to her friend. "Hello?... Ponyville to Scootaloo, come in Scootaloo!"

Scootaloo sat there watching The red pony and the Mayor walk into City hall. "Did you see that?..."

"See what?!" Asked Apple Bloom as she picked up the last of the debris.

"He was a Blank Flank!" Exclaimed Scootaloo excitedly. "We can get him to join us and we can earn all our cutie marks together!"

"I don't know about that. He looks pretty busy already. Doesn't he?" Replied Sweetie Belle with a worried expression. "Maybe he's just visiting the town"

"Naww! Nonsense remember, he said he was new in town. So, that means he probably just moved in." Replied the eager Pegasus. "Come on let's tail him and find out!" She then ran towards the hall and hopped up towards the window. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom both copied their friend and listened in.

The Mayor Sat at her desk while the Red Unicorn sat on the opposite side signing a few papers. The Mayors assistant sat at a little desk using a typewriter.

"Now sir, from this document I received from the Princess states that you will be residing here to study under her guidance is that right?" The Mayor sternly asked.

"Yes madam." The Unicorn replied.

"This document also states that you will be requiring a place to practice magic am I correct?" Asked the mayor continuing with her scanning of the document.

"Yes madam. I need a place that nobody uses." He gingerly requested.

"Hmm... How about the field between the Everfree and the Sweet Apple Acres? It measures an acre and a half. Nopony ever uses that spot."

"Yeah that seems alright." He replied putting the quill down and pushing his papers over.

The mayor put a grin on her face as she put the document on the desk. "Good now that leaves one thing. What is your name?"

This question caught him a bit by surprise. The Unicorn hadn't really thought of that. What was his name?..."My name?... My name is..." He looked at his hooves, his mane and then he reached for his chest and gasped. His hoof brushed against a metal object that hung from his neck. He used his hoof to look at it. A pendant that bore a seal of what seemed to be a silver royal looking crest with a red triangle jewel at its center hung there. "My... Name is... Red. My name is Red... Just call me Red."

"Okay Mr. Red. This is the key to your windmill and here are the deeds, and the rest of your paperwork." Replied the Mayor handing him a envelope containing the papers."Within that envelope are the papers to your home and a permit for the field. Please enjoy your stay in Ponyville." The Mayor managed to finish saying.

"Thank you for the help." Red took the envelope and waved goodbye towards them on his way out.

As Red left, the CMC watched him closely as he made his way through town back to the Windmill. He quickly opened the door and stepped in. Quickly he shut the door and locked it to ensure his privacy. He put the keys on a little table that had been set up. Then he plopped himself down on a sofa and sighed.

"How did I end up like this?..."

A couple of days ago...

"Hey! Where did you go?! This is not funny!" Shouted Soarin as he panicked. He galloped his way around the courtyard. "You know how much trouble I'm gonna be in if Shining finds out I lost track of you!" An image of the Canterlot prison formed in his head. He shook the thought out of his mind and jumped into the air flying. He quickly began to scan each open floor for the human.

"What are you searching for officer?" A regal voice suddenly called out. Luna sat outside on a balcony. Shouldn't you be on guard?"

"Well... He wasn't in his room when I came in this morning so I expected him to be someplace around here... And uhh?... Where is Captain Shining and the troops? If you don't mind me asking."

Luna laughed a little as she got up from her seat. "He has been in the library all morning going through spell books. It seems from the lessons he got from my sister yesterday, that he's gotten a knack for magic." She still began to laugh a little as Soarin began to calm down. "Shining decided to bring his men out to patrol. He still seems a bit mad."

"And why is that your highness?" Asked the Officer eager to learn more.

"Joe turned him into a chicken and in front of my sister as well." She broke out into a torrent of laughter."it was rather amusing."

Soarin tried to keep himself quiet but, he couldn't keep the image of Shining Armor as a chicken out of his mind. "Heh. I would've paid to see that." He quietly whispered.

Luna calmed herself down. "Currently my sister has begun giving him another lesson on learning how to control and use his magic freely"

"Okay thank you, your highness I will go check on him anyway." Said Soarin as he hopped into the air and began flapping his wings as he took off towards the Royal library.

Already at the library Joe sat at a window littered with books while reading one. Celestia sat across from him at a table working on a few papers.

Joe smiled while reading each page with his eager mind. There were spells for almost everything. Spells for food, spells for motion, spells for the wildlife, spells for ponies and spells for spells that work on other spells while letting a spell work a spell. Though he appeared content he felt that the castle was beginning to feel rather cramped.

"Hey your majesty?" Asked Joe lifting his head from the book.

"Yes?" She kindly responded. "And I thought I told you that you have no need to refer to me in such a way." She turned her head towards him.

"May I be excused to go practice a few of these outside?" Asked Joe in a polite manner.

"Yes you may but be careful. We still don't understand the full capabilities of your power. For all we know that little accident earlier could have been permanent." Her tone becoming a little more serious."I hope you do know that."

"Yes I do." Said Joe levitating a stack of books into his arms. "See ya later your highness." And with that he left the library.

Shortly after Joe departed, Soarin swooped into the balcony. "Hey Joe! Where are you?!" His eyes fixed themselves on who was currently in the room. "Ahh! Your majesty I'm sorry I thought Joe was in here."

Celestia shushed and kept at her eyes on her work as Soarin continued. "This is a library you know." She said as her quill levitated above the paper. "Oh well, do you think you have a little time for a chat?"

"Yes your majesty." He replied as he sat back up.

"These last few days have been rather lively with our new friend hasn't it?" She put the quill down and turned towards him. "Things will be getting a little more difficult soon... Be sure to not be late next time alright." She levitated the papers into an envelope and in a sudden flash it disappeared. She then got up and walked towards the door.

"Princess? Where is The human?" He asked as he he stood up as well.

"He should be in the courtyard practicing. Be careful though, the Cptain learned that the hard way" she smiled as she finished and walked out. Hearing that Soarin jumped back out of the window and out into the air. Sure enough there was Joe sitting in a spot facing the horizon. He levitated a rock that began to glow and change shape. It stretched and changed color until it turned into the shape of an acorn. He dropped the acorn into his hand and examined it.

"There you are! I could've gotten in trouble if Shining were here." Said Soarin as he sat a short distance behind him.

Joe turned to see the officer then turned back to the acorn in the palm of his hand. "Hey there. Where in the heck were you this morning?" He asked handing the acorn to a little squirrel that scurried over in wonder. The squirrel took it and ate it in delight.

"I was late..." Replied Soarin looking towards the grass.

Joe sighed. "You missed a good show. I accid-" he was interrupted by the sound of another pair of wings flapping in.

"You turned my husband into a chicken." She began laughing as she touched the ground.

"Mrs. Cadence!" Said Soarin shocked to see her out and about. "What brings you out here? Is Shining back?..." He quickly began to fix up his uniform.

"No. No. I've just come to meet him. " replied Cadence pointing at Joe as she still giggled. "Hi there my name is Cadence and I'm pretty sure you know my husband Shining. I've heard a lot about you." She walked over to him and extended a hoof.

Joe took it and shook it. "Hello to you too. You married Shining?" He then let go of Cadence's hoof as she sat next to him.

"Yeah, he's not that bad once you get to know him. He's a really kind guy. He's been like that ever since I met him." She sighed then she turned towards Joe. "I hear that you are the one who helped in rescuing the ponies in the EverFree caves. Did the changeling the hurt you or do anything to you?" Her face and tone of voice turned serious.

Joe thought about it and remembered the look of Culex and his broken face. "He tried to kill me after he mentioned something about his Queen or something?"

Cadence frowned upon hearing that. Joe knew that those were not the words she wanted to hear.

"She's still out there... "She suddenly became quiet but quickly perked up. Well thank you Mr. Joe it's been a pleasure meeting you." She put a smile back on her face and stood up.

"It's been a pleasure meeting you as well Mrs. Cadence." Joe replied with a solemn face.

"See ya later." She began trotting away and waved towards them. Both Joe and Soarin waved back as she trotted her way into the castle. Joe resumed reading his book while Soarin sat there watching him.

After a few hours

Soarin began pacing as Joe focused his magic on a potted plant that had been sitting by him. First it glowed red with Joe's magic flowing through it. It then began to grow and sprout into a bush covered in thick green leaves and a rainbow of different colored flowers.

"That's incredible! I've never seen anybody do something like that." Shouted the highly impressed Soarin. He trotted over and gave it a whiff. "I bet she would've-... Hey do you think you can follow me? I think I want to deliver a few of those to someone." He then began to pick a few flowers

Joe closed his book and stood up. "I guess. I think I need a break my heads beginning to throb." He levitated the rest of the stack of books into his hands and began walking into the castle with Soarin following close with a bouquet of the rainbow flowers. As they ventured past the gate and into the reaches of the city ponies stared with disgust and over pompous faces while several others stared with curiosity. Nopony budged as the human and pony made their way towards a small shop within the city square.

"This is the place! Oh! I hope she's still in there." Shouted Soarin happily and in relief."I can already smell the pies can't you?"

Joe looked around for those who still stared. They did not look all too happy. He then looked at Soarin. "Yeah man. Aren't we gonna head in now?" He opened the door to the shop and lowered his head as he pulled the pony inside.

"Oh my!" Shouted a female voice from behind the counter top. "Soarin! What is that?!" A light brown Pegasus shouted in fright. She had an even lighter shade of brown mane and a pie with a dollop of whip cream on top of it. She also wore a little apron and a chef's hat.

Soarin trotted over to her with a smile and handed her the bouquet of flowers. "Here you go beautiful."

"Oh, my Soarin! These are beautiful!" She shouted in glee and surprise. "Where did you find these?" Said the mare as she gave him a hug.

"My friend over here made them and I thought you'd enjoy them." He pointed towards Joe and winked at him. Joe shot him back the thumbs up and smiled.

"Are you guys hungry? I just made a fresh batch of pies. You guys are welcomed to eat some." She said enthusiastically. She disappeared into the back and suddenly appeared with a coconut cream pie and a couple of plates. She placed them on the small table.

Both Joe and Soarin sat themselves down as Cream Pie cut out a couple of pieces of the pie and placed them onto each of the plates. "Dig in." She happily exclaimed as Soarin began eating. Joe picked up a piece of the pie and bit into it. His taste buds erupted into a flurry of enjoyment as he scarfed the rest of it down.

After twelve or so pies...

Soarin and Joe had made their way back towards the castle with several ponies still eyeing them. "Oh man that was great Did you see that fridge? It literally had about a hundred in there." He jumped up into the air and began to fly. "Oh but her face... I loved the look on her face when I showed her those flowers. She really loved them... Thanks pal. It was all thanks to you."

Joe felt rather happy for the moment. He didn't care about everyone of the ponies giving him a stink eye only that he made one of his only friends here happy. "It was nothing." He replied he looked towards the sun and noticed where it was. "Crap we gotta get to the castle before I'm late. I need to go show Celestia the stuff I managed to get going."

"You mean the spells?" Asked Soarin still in the air.

"Yeah. Hey watch this one I learned it this morning." He stood in a running position as a red glow began to form at his feet. Suddenly he bolted towards the castle with an incredible speed. As he ran by several buildings and stands objects were being blown away by the force of the wind.

"Hey! Wait up!" Shouted Soarin as he quickly flew after the human. They quickly managed to reach the entrance as Soarin collapsed to the ground panting. "I... Want... A... Rematch..." He managed to mutter out in between breaths.

"To bad. We're already here. Maybe next time." Joe got back up and walked into the castle.

"Hey!... Wait up!" He shouted while still on the ground.

"Wow...Soarin... Did I just see a Wonderbolt get his flanked beat? Cause this is just too good." Said a female voice.

"Waaa!... Spitfire what are you doing here?!" Shouted the panicked Pegasus.

"Relax. I was just enjoying the race. I noticed you guys were having fun so I wanted to see what's up." She asked in a casual manner.

"Well it started thi-"

(We already know that so let's just go now)

Joe walked his way into the throne room where Celestia was already waiting for him. As Joe approached her a black fluid like shadow creeped behind him slowly. "Hey your majesty I managed to do a couple of more spells. And they were-" Suddenly, Joe turned around and used his magic to form a bubble around the shadow, it screamed as he floated the bubble into his hands.

"Oh Luna." Celestia tried to conceal her laughter as she watched. "I told you it wouldn't work Luna."

"Oh crap. I didn't know." Joe slowly dropped the bubble and let the princess out. She flowed out as a shadow and materialized back into her original form but rather dizzily.

"It's okay..." Replied Luna as her head continued to spin. "I'm. I. I think I'm gonna go sit down for a little sister." She awkwardly trotted toward the throne and sat down.

Still giggling. "I haven't seen anything like that in a while. That was rather clever." Said Celestia as she walked towards Joe. "Come now I think it is better we talk during dinner."

"That was the spell The Captain showed me... Before he turned into a chicken. I sorta was able to change it out a little." Said Joe as he followed. They continued to talk as Luna slowly got to her hooves and followed as well.

The dining hall was well prepared as the few of the chef ponies placed plates with lids onto the long table and walked back out with the carts they pulled the meals in with. Celestia was the first to sit as the rest followed shortly. Several other ponies such as Shining Armor and Cadence joined as well as a few of the castle staff. Once seated the meals were uncovered to reveal a hearty meal of fruits and salads.

After a brief moment of silence everyone began to dig in along with both of the Princesses. Joe ate rather slowly than the rest of them mostly due to the fact he rather use his fork and spoon with his hands rather than with magic.

"Mr. Joe right now seems like a good time to chat shall we?" Asked Celestia as she used a napkin to wipe around her mouth

Joe picked up a piece of lettuce and looked at it he grimaced and put it down. "Yeah" he replied as he turned towards her.

"As you probably know already. We have been endlessly searching for a spell that can return you home. There have been rumors and other stories that I myself do not remember." She paused for a bit and face the table.

"And? What does this mean?" Asked the human as he listened intently.

"He had secrets that I myself do not know yet... And from under these circumstances, you may be trapped here permanently..." She once again paused and closed her eyes. "It is just a theory but, it seems as it seems." Joe remained quiet as he listened. His eyes focused on the table. He stayed like this until the princess broke her silence. "We mustn't lose hope there is a spell that he did mention while he was still here, he told us it would allow him to traverse the universes." She reopened her eyes and looked around as Luna and several others turned towards her.

Joe picked up his hand and focused it towards Shining Armor. He began to glow red and suddenly flashed into a chicken. Everyone tried to conceal their laughter including Celestia and the guards.

"That's better." Joe laughed. He quickly turned Shining back. "I just needed a little pick me up. Sorry about that Captain."he returned to his quiet state.

Shining's face grew red with anger had his horn glowing at the ready. he aimed at Joe who sat there with his head still aimed at the table. Cadence put her hoof on his back. He looked her in the eyes and sighed as his horn stopped glowing. "I accept your apology." He quickly picked his head back up to Look towards the human. "But the next time you do that I won't be too happy."

Celestia smiled then began to frown when She turned to Joe who still stared at his plate. He gave off a rather melancholy feel of things. She got up and put a hoof on his shoulder. "Don't worry there will be a way." Her horn glowed and a book materialized. It was an old tattered book that simply bore a swirl of stars on the cover. She then levitated it towards Joe who took it. "That was one of the many Journals Star Swirl had written before he passed. I hope it proves useful."

Joe took the book and left without saying another word. Celestia watched as the whole table was unable to say anything until dinner was over. Luna had left to complete her duties of the night.

Celestia sat at a balcony looking towards the moon. She muttered as she opened her eyes revealing glowing white eyes. "What must I do?..." She asked herself as she snapped out of her trance. Her eyes returned to normal and got up. She quickly entered her chambers and passed a mound of scrolls that sat upon a small table near the door. She immediately went towards her book case and popped out a few books that landed on the table. They were as wrinkled and old as the one she had given Joe. As she opened one of the books she levitated a stack of silver bits next to her. It glowed a bright yellow as she manipulated its shape into a molten fluid form and then she fixed herself into a better position as she focused even more of her magic into it.

The next day...

Joe walked the streets of Canterlot unsupervised. He had his hands stuffed into his pockets as he levitated the book Celestia had given him the night before right in front of him to read easier.

He was dead set on reading the book that he was unaware of several ponies following him with looks of disgust. They had been on his tail since he had left the castle early in the morning. The night before had caught up with in a way that shocked him into a constant spacing out. Though the situation seemed grim he chose to not panic as in turn try to stay sane in this world. He sighed in disappointment as he read through the book only to find notes of several spells but no actual ways they could help him. The last known whereabouts that Star Swirl had conducted tests on the spell described were most likely within the Everfree. Both of the princesses had warned of the kinds of dangers that the forest possessed. The thought of having these little sentient horses sacrifice themselves in order to find the spell seemed like torture on his mind along with the idea of never leaving. To make matters worse it seemed half of the town hated him. A memory from this morning flashed in his mind. Shining warned of the town and how many of these little ponies did not like the idea of having anything other than their own kind in town. Joe noticed several of the ones behind him galloping at him horns priming themselves to fire a spell. Joe saw this as a sign that he should've taken Shining's words more seriously. He took the book into his hands as he began to bolt with the dozens of ponies following him in haste.

"I've gotta get back quick! What the heck is their problem?!" He thought to himself as he ran.

"Get it! Don't let it escape!" Shouted one with a net slung around his back. Several of them that were unicorns began to shoot some sort of net like spell while others tried to launch an assortment of other spells towards him. He quickly dodged to the side and engulfed himself in the shield spell Shining armor had taught him. The ponies chasing him began to throw rocks and spells while yelling "It's mine" at each other.

"Wait what?..." He held the shield taking every shot these ponies threw at him. Feeling pressured he manipulated the shield into a cylinder and used his magic to jump through an opening in the top of his shield onto the roof of a building. The Pegasi in the group jumped into the air while the others hoofed it. Joe had to find a place to hide until he could find a way to get out of the town and back to the castle.

Back in the castle.

Celestia paced back and forth as Soarin burst into the throne room panting and breathing heavily. "I...*gasp*... Can't... Find him anywhere! *gasp*..." Dusty and a few of the other servants came into the room as well. Finally Luna came in last.

"Sister I have received news about an incident in Canterlot... You better read this." She levitated a scroll towards her sister and walked away.

Celestia opened the scroll and scanned each line of text. She levitated the scroll towards Soarin and quietly said to herself. "It's already begun..." Soarin got up and was about to leave until Celestia called him back. "Soarin I have a mission for you."

Back in the streets of Canterlot. (Joe)

One of the earth ponies that were tailing Joe passed through an empty alley or so he thought. Suddenly two hands reached out and grabbed him. "Whats you guys problem?!" Shouted Joe as he held the pony by his mane. The pony was clearly frightened as Joe held a blunt object at its back.

"I ain't telling nothing" said the pony in a frightened western accent. He gulped as his captor formed a red shield around him. "Wait! Wait! Wait... Well... There were these two shady looking fellers they had these brown robes or something over them. They had these big glowing blue eyes."

Joe shook the sphere shaped shield."Get to the point... I don't have all day!" He whispered angrily. "Why are you guys trying to catch me?!" He then began to close the shield.

"Wait! Wait!" The pony shouted. Joe slowly opened the shield. "They offered a reward. About Five hundred thousand bits. We couldn't refuse. At first there were only a few of us outside the town but when more of those shady guys showed up again they got all fiery and turned into regular old pony folk except their eyes they were glowing like blue fireflies you know. Just between you and me these guys smell like a bunch of dirty cockroaches."

Joe lowered the shield and set the pony go. "Get out of here." He whispered as he watched the pony go As the pony walked out he slowly looked back at Joe then out the alley. "Hey y'all that feller those guys are looking fer is over here!" He shouted then trotted out and away from Joe.

The human rolled his eyes and dashed out the alley way pushing that one pony out of the way. As the approaching group got closer his feet began to glow red then he suddenly bolted out of there. He ran until he bumped into a group of the regular townsfolk.

"Ahhh! Theres a monster it's gonna eat us!" Yelled a couple of surprised townsfolk. Clearing off his mess Joe managed to get back up and run at a regular pace. But was quickly surrounded by a few of them including two strange ones. Their eyes glowed blue and seemed to have a hiss to their voice.

The two strange ponies began to circle the surrounding ponies and human suddenly one of them spoke. "Do you know how long it took for us to find you? Our general was worried that you were dead."

"Wait who?" Asked Joe as he tried to follow their movement.

"Hey!" Someone suddenly shouted. Joe turned his head to his where the noise had come from. Suddenly he was shot with a green beam that materialized into one of the collars from the mine.

"Crap!" Cursed Joe as he grabbed at it.

Both of the strange ponies laughed hysterically as green flames erupted from their bodies. The ponies surrounding them fled in fear as the green flames began to circle them.

"I think you know exactly who we work for." Said one of them as the flames around their bodies faded revealing a much more shiny outer shell that looked crimson in the daylight. They also wore what looked similar to the armor the royal guards wore. They were Changelings.

Joe struggled as he tried to remove the collar. Just like in the cave it wouldn't come off. Knowing he couldn't do magic, he did the next best thing and picked up a chair. He pointed at them with an angry glare. "I never did anything to you guys. So what's your problem?!"

They chuckled and laughed. "The general still thinks the Queen will enjoy you." The other one interrupted the other. "That or the general will probably have you for himself then kill you."he hissed.

Suddenly, a purple pinkish blast shot them away. Shining along with a few other guards quickly surrounded Joe in a defensive formation as Shining tried to remove the collar. "Dang it! It won't come off... Run you need to get back to the castle!" He shouted as a few more of the changelings showed up but still in pony form. Their eyes glowed blue. Suddenly, the two other changelings turned back into their pony forms and disappeared along with the few that followed. "They're still here! Be on the look out!"

Joe ran as a big purple bubble shield was erected right behind him. As he ran the sense of regret sprung pain in his mind. "They're doing this for me again!" His mind shouted. He quickly ditched the thought as he began to feel exhausted. Without his magic working his body seemed to be loosing energy and his heavy breathing pained his fractured ribs.

Suddenly, the sound of wings surprised him as he turned to see Soarin and Spitfire towing what seemed to be a chariot. "Get on yelled Soarin as he flapped his wings hard. Joe did as he was told and jumped on. The moment Joe stabilized himself the chariot shot forward. As they flew through the sky Joe could see the regular ponies that were chasing him run towards the gate that led into Ponyville, being captured by royal guards. When he turned his head once more he could see the castle gates coming into view as well. Celestia, Luna, Nurse Blue Heart, Dusty and Cadence were already in the courtyard waiting for them.

Just as the Chariot touched ground Joe jumped off but, the moment he did the book Celestia had given him fell out of his jacket. Celestia noticed this and walked over to him. And zapped the collar causing it to disappear from his neck.

"Are you alright?" She asked trying to look into his eyes. Joe remained quiet as he quickly rushed over and gave her a hug.

"I'm... Sorry. I didn't want you or anyone to worry. I know that I have been a burden. It's those things. They've followed me here."

Celestia placed a wing over him."I'm well aware of that. I know what we should do now."


Back in the Windmill (three days later. Present Day)

Red used his magic to pick up a few objects from the saddlebag. Two little bags, two books, a jar of the medicinal jelly, a quill and a ink jar. He placed them onto a little table and sighed.

On the outside of the Windmill sat the mischievous trio as they tried to piggy back each other to see the window.

"Why do I have to be at the bottom?" angrily whispered Scootaloo. "I'm the lightest I should be on top."

Apple bloom being the heaviest shushed towards Scootaloo as Red plopped his head back onto the sofa. "I think he's going to sleep..." She whispered to everyone.

"Well wouldn't it make sense? He must've traveled pretty far." Said Sweetie Belle with her forehooves shaking.

Scoots quickly began to loose her strength as they all fell over. Red heard the commotion and got up. He walked towards the door an looked outside. As he turned towards the window nobody was there. He then trotted back inside and locked the door. The girls then fell out from a small street lamp almost appearing as if they were a part of it.

"I guess we will try another time..." Said Scootaloo with a humph. The three of them trotted back toward the main part of town while Red watched from the second floor window.

"That could be trouble... " said Red as he used his magic to take off the pendant. In a bright yellow flash his body changed into the form of the only human in Equestria. He still wore the same school outfit that he had been wearing in Canterlot and his black jacket. He walked back downstairs to the table where his belongings sat. He picked up a black book and opened it to a blank page. He levitated a quill and positioned them to write.

Day 1 - Ponyville entry 1

"Thank you everyone."

He then closed the book and placed it on the table. He still held the pendant in his hand as he looked at it and smiled "Don't worry everyone." His own words floated in his head.


The memory of his last day in Canterlot played out in his mind.

Celestia moved him towards the group if them as more troops moved out through the castle gates. Just as he walked up to them Dusty approached him with a black Saddle bag with the same design of his jacket.

"Here Mr. Joe after what the Princess told me yesterday, you're gonna be needing one of these." Said the smiling maid.

Joe looked it over and opened one of the flaps. Within it were the two bags he had gotten from the mines. "But, what?... What am I gonna need this for and why are my things in here?" He asked a bit confused.

"For this." Celestia's horn glowed with her brilliant aura. A few scrolls and a silver pendant on a silver chain necklace appeared.

"Put these in the saddle bag and put this on." She smiled. It will give you the appearance of a regular Unicorn.

As Joe took the pendant and placed it on his neck, a light erupted from his body as it morphed into that of a red coated Unicorn. Celestia smiled that it had succeeded as planned.

Joe looked over to where his hands and feet used to be. Then he tried to stand up. As he tried to adjust to his new form he fell over and the pendant fell off. He flashed into his human form fully clothed and quickly got up then he picked back up and held it in his hand. "Let's try that one more time" he said as he put it on. He once again flashed into the pony form.

Celestia levitated the saddle bag and placed it onto him. "This will only give you the appearance of a Unicorn. You mustn't take it off in public for I am pretty sure that if you do the changelings will surely find out where you will be." She explained. "Officer Soarin and Ms.Spitfire will be checking on you often once you are moved into your new temporary home.

Joe really felt puzzled as she said those last few words. "Wait... A new Temporary home? Somewhere?" He asked confused.

Celestia walked over and placed a wing on him. "We need to move you to where the Changelings wouldn't expect you to be. We will be sending you to a peaceful town to the south of here." She explained.

"But... I... Understand." His face lighting up. "I'm fine with that but, what about the magic lessons and the spell?" He quickly looked back at his friends and back at her.

"Don't worry we have that figured out. Luna will be giving you your magic lessons and don't worry about the town. I assure you they are much more welcoming than the ones here. I believe you will like it there." She said as Luna flew down near them.

"She's also going to give you papers declaring that you are her apprentices." The Princess of the night inserted. "It should serve as a decent cover up."

Joe held his hoof at his chin and nodded his head. "Okay..."

"What? Do you think I won't make a good teacher?" Asked Luna dissatisfied

"No that's not it. It's just that I haven't had anybody care this much about me." He said as a smile showed up on his face. But then he sighed.

Cadence trotted up slowly to him. "Don't worry we're all still gonna be up here. " she smiled as she also gave him a hug. So did Dusty and Blue Heart.

"Also I must advise you to try and not get hurt. Take this and remember to administer this to your ribs every morning." Said Nurse Blue Heart as she broke away from the hug. Everyone laughed as Joe placed a jar of jelly in the saddle bag.

"Now let us bid you a minor farewell." Said Celestia as her horn began to glow. "Also I've prepared a journal for you. I want you to log your experiences while you are there. " she smiled as a black book appeared in front of her and placed it into the saddlebag.

"Wait where am I going again?" Joe asked as he stepped away from his friends. "Also where am I going to live?"

"Oh my seems I got a bit too ahead of myself. I will be sending you to Ponyville. When you arrive you will find a map in your bag and a few details. First you will need to follow the map to the Town Hall and you will have to seek out the Mayor." She finished.

"Thank you for all that you guys have done. Joe once again rushed over to her and have her a pony hug before she lit her horn and spread her aura over Joe. "See you guys later." His words echoed as he disappeared in a flash.