• Published 4th May 2014
  • 853 Views, 0 Comments

Escargot- Best in Show - mch_89



Snails is known for being a typical boy: dirty, dumb, and just plain messy, but he harbors a secret he fears will bring his world down upon him.

  • ...
0
 0
 853

A Hair Brained Solution

It had been a week since that encounter. The two colts hadn't spoken to each other in that time; they still exchanged a quick greeting, but they didn't hang out or anything like that. They could barely even look each other in the eye, before either one looked away- usually Snips. Ms Cherilee, being the astute teacher that she was, knew something was wrong, as did the colt's parents. They each asked and prodded, what was wrong, but they kept avoiding them, saying it was nothing. The adults stood by, feeling helpless to help their foals. Soon, the entire town began to fall into a mysterious somber air, as mares and stallions alike discussed in whispers to each other. It was rumors, and speculation, of course. However, each theorized issue was accompanied by suggested issues. Maybe they'd hit that age where young colts fillies in that way, or maybe- just maybe- they discovered each other? What would their parents think? Perhaps they just had a spat, where they said hurtful things without meaning it- like all foals did.

One could hear the entire town sigh in relief when Snips appeared on Snails' patio. The dull teal colt gently knocked on the door. It opened to reveal a light- almost pale- yellow orange Unicorn mare. She had striking coal black eyes, a beautifully kept blue green mane in curls that would remind him of Rarity. It was Snails' mom, Sweetheart. Her coal black eyes stared at that the little colt that stood before her. The one colt in town who held the key to her son's somber mood, and hopefully the solution- literally; he had a pair of saddle bags hanging over his back. She was so happy to see him show up on her front step, she could hold the huge sigh of relief that welled in her chest when this “fall out” had started.

“Hey, Mrs. J,” Snips smiled awkwardly.

“Snips,” Mrs. J beamed. “It's so wonderful to see you around here again!”

“Thanks,” Snips said, rubbing his hoof to the back of his head. “Uh...”

“He's up in his room, dear,” Sweetheart smiled. “You go right up, and I'll make you some iced tea.”

Thanks, Snips grinned as he galloped in, and towards the stairs, as Sweetheart giggled her on her way to the kitchen. He stopped midway and called out to his friend's mother. “Mrs. J?”

“Yes,” came the familiar sing song voice.

“Can you leave it down here,” Snips asked. “I think we're gonna need to talk alone.”

“Oh,” Sweetheart are responded, poking her head out of the kitchen doorway. “Oh, of course. I'll just leave it in the fridge- you can come down and have some when you want.”

“Thanks,” Snips called out as he hurried up the stairs.

When he got to the door, he screeched to a halt, and made sure to knock. Nothing. He knocked again, a little harder this time. He was already trying to deal with what happened last time he barged in without knocking; he didn't want to make this situation even worse than it was. Still nothing. Snips put his ear to the door, and knocked again, just a little louder, still.

“Snails,” Snips called out. “Snails? It's me, dude!”

Snails, as fate's often cruel sense of humor would have it, was just cleaning off the last of his make up, and turning his room back to the usual mess it was, when the knocking came. The poor colt froze in panic. Was it his mom? Did Snips actually tell somepony- even after he Pinkie Promised?

NO PONY BREAKS A PINKIE PROMISE!!!

The knock came again, this time a little louder. Not wanting to make too much of a commotion, Snails telekinetically wiped his face off with a damp rag, and stashed it-and his makeshift makeup kid under his bed. The knocking returned, even louder. He was sure it was his mom coming to check up on him, and focused his magic on the doorknob. He paused when he heard Snips' voice calling out to him. He didn't expect Snips to be back so soon. Should he be relieved, scared?

Scarelieved?

Snails opened the door to see that it was indeed his friend- his only friend. Without sharing a word, Snips walked in, closed the door behind him, and threw himself into his much taller friend in a hug, which he returned. Even though they hadn't talked to each other for a week, it felt like it had been months, and they felt the barrier that let build up between them. The two stayed like that for a few minutes, tears welling in their eyes. They'd never admit it, or show it in public, but they cherished their friendship as much as the Element bearers, or the Cutie Mark Crusaders- or maybe even more; Each element had 5 friends in each other, the CMC's had two friends in each other. These two colts were all they had. While they never talked about it, they felt it was because of the way they looked in comparison to the others- they were all each other had.

“So, are we good,” Snips asked, breaking the embrace.

“I hope so,” Snails answered.

“You still into all that mare stuff,” Snips asked.

“Yeah,” Snails answered, becoming defensive, a single eye squinting at him.

“Figured,” Snips sighed, as he shrugged off his saddlebags, and pointed at the mirror. One held a pair of hair clippers, a comb, and a neatly folded sheet. The other was filled with hair- mane hair, of different colors and length.

“Take a seat,” he instructed.

Confused, Snails plopped himself on his rear, looking into the mirror, expectantly. Using his own magic, he pulled out the sheet and draped over Snails' body and tied it around his neck. Snips' hair clippings flowed out of his bag and started flying around the room. Snails stared into the mirror at his friend with wide eyed amazement, as Snips closed his eyes concentrated, his horn starting to glow brighter and spark. The short hairs started weaving themselves into some sort of fine mesh net as the longer hairs weaved themselves, into it. Soon, a wig of mismatched hair. Before Snails could say anything, Snips plopped it down on his friend's head.

Snips then tried to get a look at his creation from behind, but he was still too short. Looking around he saw some wooden boxes with various toys and and action figures in them. He quickly overturned one, and placed it right behind Snails. The box helped, but not by much; it would have to do, though. He levitated his comb and clippers over to him. Using his comb and magic, Snips collected Snail's mane and tucked it neatly under the wig. Snails watched in wonder and amazement as his friend guided his clippers and comb through the frizzed mess of a wig, and shaped it into a lovely collection of curls, that hung down over his shoulder- pausing here and there to take a few a few peeks from behind Snails to get a good look at what he was doing. His barber's sheet as covered in hair as was he- not that he minded though. Hey may not be smarty like Twilight, be he could cut a mean mane! Still, why was there something nipping at the back of his mind? Had he forgotten something? If he did, he couldn't remember what.

“Oh wow,” Snails gasped, admiring what his friend created in front of his eyes. “Snips. I knew you were good with hair, but- but this~!”

“Eh... It was supposed to be a toupee' spell for my dad,” Snips smiled modestly. “You really think it's that good?”

'”That good',” Snails parroted, “You should be working with Rarity! This is- It's just amazing!”

“Aw,” Snips kicked his hoof. “Really?”

“Really,” Snails answered with an emphatic nod. “But...”

“But,” Snips asked.

“Well,” Snails faltered. “It's just-”

Before Snails could finish, Snails realized what he was going to say.

“Gah,” he groaned to himself. “I knew was forgetting something! Its a new spell I learned.”

Snips closed his eyes to concentrate as his horn started to glow, and got brighter and brighter. Just as it looked like it was about to explode, he touched his horn to the wig he made. Magic rippled through the hairpiece, turning it from the ugly mishmash of random colors, to the same shade of green as Snails' natural mane color. The wig dropped back into place, his locks locked into the same stylish curls it had before the change.

Exhausted, Snips stumbled back forgetting he was on a box. He landed with a thud, which Sweetheart below dismissed as random roughhousing as the two normally did- convinced that everything was getting back to normal. Her thoughts were interrupted by the door slamming open.

Meanwhile Snails, still in his wig, was helping his friend get back on his hooves.

“Whoo,” Snips sighed. “I gotta practice more. So you like?”

“Oh, yes, yes yes yes yes,” Snails beamed. “Thank you, so much!”

He yanked Snips in for another hug, but this time he pushed away.

“Hey,” he protested. “We already had our mushy moment for the day!”

“Yeah, but we're short by seven,” Snails said, still hugging. “You still owe me 7 more.”

Snips didn't say anything, but just chuckled. That is, until he heard heavy footsteps, and a deep, booming voice singing. Snails' Dad was home! And he was heading up stairs. In a panic, The boys swept their marish effects under Snails' bed, and the wig under Snails' sheets. Snips quickly jumped on Snails, pushing him to the ground just as a strong, but gentle knock sounded at the door.

“It's open, Papa,” Snails answered, trying to pry his friend off of him.

The door swung open, and where just about every pony that wasn't Snails, his mom, Snails, nor his family expected to find a lanky, awkward stallion, stood, a triumphant, majestic Griffon!

Author's Note:

Yes, we're still in a flashback, but we're almost done with it. The next update will move forward in the story proper

Seriously, though. How does she DO that!? o.0

Do what?

0.0