• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 1,734 Views, 70 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Cutie Mark Rising - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Twilight starts school, and trying to get her Cutie Mark

  • ...
0
 70
 1,734

Jealous Blank Flank

"You're finished?" Pound asked, eyes wide as he looked at Twilight. Pumpkin looked up from her own homework.

"Yeah," Twilight answered. "It was all pretty easy stuff."

"I'm barely even half way through," Pumpkin said, looking down at her own work.

"Oh great," Pound groaned. "I'm barely even started on this."

"Do you want help?" Twilight asked.

"No, thank you." Pound picked his pencil back up and continued to look at his homework. "I think I can get it."

"Okay," Twilight said with a nod. She looked around Sugarcube Corner and stopped when on pony caught her notice.

Sitting at one of the other tables was the blue filly with the silvery blue mane and tail that Twilight had set next to in class, Trixie. Trixie sat alone, eating a what looked like a piece of cheesecake (peanut butter fudge cheesecake actually).

Twilight looked back at Pound and Pumpkin, who were busy with their homework, then at Trixie again. Maybe this would be a better opportunity to speak to her. Maybe Trixie was just feeling a little stressed out over starting classes in a new town as well. Maybe the two of them could be friends. Maybe they and Pumpkin could even learn magic together. Feeling hopeful, Twilight got up and walked over to the table that Trixie was sitting at.

"Hi," Twilight said with a smile. The glare she got in return sent a shiver down her spine. She took a step back, ears drooping as she looked away.

No, she told herself. I started this, might as well try.

"I think we might have gotten off on the wrong hoof," Twilight continued. "I'm-"

"I know who you are!" Trixie interrupted. "Your brother chased away one of the best magician ponies ever."

"What?" Twilight blinked, trying to figure out what Trixie was talking about. "What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Trixie growled as she moved to stand in front of Twilight. "Sunset Shimmer." She pointed a hoof. "Your brother stopped her from saving the city from the Ursa Major because he was jealous."

"I... he... what?" Twilight took a deep breath, and slowly let it out.

"First," she said, "It was an Ursa Minor, not an Ursa Major. Second, why would Shiny be jealous of Sunset Shimmer?"

"Because he didn't like the fact that there was a pony that was more powerful than him."

"But she...He..." Twilight stopped and rubbed her forehead.

"She was planning on burning it!" she finally shouted.

"Yeah right." Trixie rolled her eyes. "Why would she need to do something like that. She could have beaten it easily."

"That was why Shining stopped her from doing it!"

"I bet you're just like him," Trixie said, narrowing her eyes.

"...what?"

"You're probably jealous of ponies that are better than you," Trixie stated. "Like me."

Twilight's face contorted in confusion as she tried to process what was just said.

"What..." she finally managed to sputter out, "... reason do I have to be jealous of you?"

"Simple," Trixie stated. "I have this," she turned to the side to show her flank, "and you don't."

"Your cutie mark?" Twilight asked, looking at it. "Why would I be jealous of that?"

"First, because I have one, and you don't." Trixie turned back around and pointed at Twilight's blank flank. "And second, look at it." She turned again. "It clearly shows how my talent is magic." She puffed up. "Some day, I am going to be a great and powerful magician that will be known all across Equestria."

"I don't care that you got your cutie mark," Twilight growled. "Why would I? I mean ... sta-tis-tic-ally... I should get my cutie mark some time next year. That's when most ponies get it on average."

"Oh." Trixie grinned. "So you're willing to admit that you are average."

"No!" Twilight shouted before realizing how that sounded. "I mean... yes." Her face started to turn bright red. "I mean... That's not what I mean!"

"So you think you're better than some ponies?" Trixie tilted her head, looking at Twlight with a raised eyebrow.

"No." Twilight groaned and shook her head. "I mean... all ponies are different with some being better at things than others."

"Even you?"

"Yes."

"So you admit that I'm better than you and you're jealous?"

"Yes!" Twilight shouted. "I mean... NO!... I mean... I mean.... Oh forget it." Twilight groaned and stomped back to her sit. She flopped down in with a grunt.

Pumpkin and Pound both stared at her a moment, then at each other. Pumpkin pointed toward Pound, who gave a nod and faced Twilight again.

"Twilight, are you-"

"I'M NOT JEALOUS!" she shouted, slamming her front hooves on the table.

Pound jumped slightly in his seat then crouched down, looking at her with wide eyes.

"I was just going to ask if you were okay," he said. "I've never seen you so confused like that."

Twilight looked at them and let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry." She rubbed at her head. "I'm.... I don't know... confused? Mad?" She gave a shake of her head.

"You know she was just messing with you, right?" Pumpkin asked.

"I know." Twilight looked back. "But..."

"But?" the twins repeated together.

"I don't know." Twilight gave a shrug. "I think I'm going to go." She began to pack her things.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Pumpkin asked.

"No," Twilight replied with a shake of her head, "thank you. I just need to go for a walk and clear my head." She pulled her saddlebag back on. "I'll see you two later."

Pumpkin and Pound watched as their friend left.

Author's Note:

Okay, small point:
For this series, Twilight Sparkle and the Cake twins are actually about a year younger than Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. That's part of the reason why they are in a different class with a different teacher. It kind of felt more realistic to have some age difference. Plus, it allows me to let all six of them work together as Cutie Mark Crusaders while also letting the original ones keep some of their adventures -- such as Flight to the Finish -- unchanged.

And yes, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon does exist in this universe.