• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 2,164 Views, 11 Comments

Facing Southern Thunder - The Prancing Red Pony



The Human Race, is one of the most intelligent species on Earth. But, what will happen to Equestria when Armies come to conquer? How will Celestia act to this threat? Follow in this epic tale when Celestia must face the generals of the Confederacy.

  • ...
9
 11
 2,164

Chapter 4

Celestia slowly flew to the Southern End of the Bridge that was over the Ghastly Gorge. She saw many barricades and breastworks a few miles out and raced towards them. They were the barricades and breastwork's of General Twilight Sparkle and her Army of Ponyville. They had been at the Gorge for a good 2 weeks after marching from Ponyville. Celestia fluttered her way soon to Twilight's tent where Twilight was busy looking over battle maps preparing for the CSE's arrival.

"Hello Twilight" Celestia said with a salute as she walked into Twilight's tent. Twilight was slightly startled by Celestia's entrance.

"Hello Princess Celestia so glad to see you. But may I ask why you are here and not in Canterlot?" Twilight questioned. Celestia sighed and gave Twilight the message from Colonel Thunder to read. Twilight slowly read Colonel Thunder's message her face slowly turning into a frown and then into a fit of rage. She handed Celestia the message and then pounded her hoof on the table. "Those bastards! How could they do something like that to ponies. There will be HELL TO PAY PRINCESS! Sorry for acting so brash Princess" Twilight said with fierce anger in her eyes. Celestia sighed and put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder.

"Twilight I need you to be strong. If there is a battle today and there probably will be you must show great courage and strength. The CSE is right on our doorstep if they cross this gorge Ponyville and Canterlot are only mere stepping stones away. But, either direction they go they will be met with hell. If they try to go into Ponyville they will meet your Army and my army. If they try going through the Whitetail Woods they will meet General Fluttershy and her Army. If they try and go around near Rambling Rock Ridge they will meet Pinkie Pie and her Army. Anywhere they go they will meet hell and we will drive those sorry ass bastards from wherever they came from" Celestia said with assurance to Twilight. Twilight was filled with courage and vigor at Celestia's powerful words.

"Your Highness I won't let you down. Would you be willing to follow me and you may see the fortifications set for the CSE's attack?" Twilight asked Celestia. Celestia nodded. Twilight and Celestia walked side by side as they headed towards the fortifications set up by Twilight's soldiers. In that time, Twilight and Celestia talked about the CSE's movement through Equestria, Colonel Thunder on his mission to find the location of the CSE, and many other things. Soon they arrived at the fortifications and breastworks that were just about finished and ready for the ranks of the CSE. Twilight still felt uncertain, although her Army was one of the best equipped and best train she still felt weak in certain areas of the lines. She was worried how and when the CSE would attack and would she have enough ponies to repel repeated attacks. Twilight made sure that she had reserves on standby ready to attack if the line was broken anywhere but, her reserves were slightly fewer in number. More troops had to be sent to the Armies in the surrounding areas due to other CSE Army's on the move. Celestia looked over the ranks of ponies and at the fortified defenses. Many of the ponies that were in the center of the lines were veterans of former pony wars. Cannons were arranged just a little way off the field ready to shell the incoming CSE brigades. Celestia knew if the CSE broke through the breastworks and their soldiers began to pour into the center of the Army they would fall and rout. Celestia looked out at the green small rolling hills where the CSE would be coming from. She looked at Twilight and gave her a smile.

"Twilight?" Celestia said.

"Yes your majesty?" Twilight said.

"Give em' hell" Celestia said with a dramatic yell before shooting in the sky to see the other armies in the surrounding areas.

The Army of Ponyville had it's back to the Ghastly Gorge.

---------

The first brigades of Longstreet's Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia (CSE) slowly neared the Ghastly Gorge. The night before, scouts and General J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry reported the fortifications and movements of the Army of Ponyville to General Robert E. Lee. Also, General "Stonewall" Jackson's Army of the Valley marched heavily and quickly and had barely been able to catch up with the Army of Northern Virginia. Jackson took his forces and moved into the position of Lee's right flank. Jackson's soldiers were very tired and weary but, they managed to get some quick rest before heading towards the battlefield. Lee's plan was to shell Twilight's flanks repeatedly until they were significantly weakened. Then, General Jackson's Corps would attack Twilight's right flank while General A.P. Hill's Corps would attack Twilight's left flank. While the flanks were still reeling, Lee would send in Longstreet Corps to attack the center of Twilight's lines. Whatever small pockets of resistance that were left would be moped up by J.E.B. Stuart's Cavalry. Lee was a Southern Gentleman and kind-hearted. But, he also served Virginia and his country only wishing to protect them. General Lee was perched on one of the bigger hills with General Longstreet slowly watching the attack unfold. Lee had just sent two couriers to Jackson and Hill to tell their Chief's of Artillery to begin firing down on the ponies. Soon the two couriers returned with a message.

"General Jackson sends his compliments and he has begun his attack" one of the courier's said.

"General Hill sends his compliments and he has begun his attack" the other courier said. Lee thanked them both before looking through his binoculars.

They could hear the rumbling of the cannons off in the distance as Twilight's flanks were bombarded with shells and cannon balls. Many of the ponies hunkered against the breastworks trying not to become another casualty. The CSE's shelling was hot, powerful, and deadly. Sections of the lines were broken throwing some ponies high into the air or separating limbs entirely from their sockets. It was a frightful scene. Soon, the cannons began to subside and the brigades emerged from the either sides of the field. The banners of the Confederacy bloody red in color, with bunting dancing in the wind moved forward towards the flanks. The brigades at first met little to no fire from Twilight's cannons as the ponies were slightly struck back by the sudden carnage. The divisions leading the spearhead of Jackson's attack were Taliaffero's division with the famous "Stonewall Brigade" and D.H. Hill's Division. The divisions leading the spearhead of A.P. Hill's attack were Mahone's Division and Field's Division. Soon the cannons began to roar from Twilight's lines as they fired down on the Confederacy's approaching troops. But, the Confederates were undeterred as they got closer and closer towards Twilight's lines. Many of the ponies were still hunkered down in the breastworks ready to fight with spears and swords, magic, or dropping the Confederate soldiers when they got closer. The Confederates soon gave out the infamous Rebel Yell. Up and down the line the scream of the blood hungered Confederates could be heard sending chill's down the spines of many of the ponies. Lee stared through his binoculars and saw the great plumes of smoke and the massive grey lines of his soldiers moving forward on the enemies flanks.

Twilight's cannons seemed to have no effect on the ranks of the CSE. The brigades would simply scrunch close together if a hole was blown through. Soon, the Confederates were at the breastworks. Canister was released from Twilight's cannons causing great swaths to break through the lines of the approaching CSE troops. The ponies lunged at the Confederate troops that had come over the breastworks.

One Pony looked over the breastworks and his mouth fell agape "I have never seen such terror. Massive lines of grey moving in almost complete unison towards us" the pony later wrote. Savage hand to hand fighting soon broke out. Cries of the wounded or dying rang in the air almost deafening the ears, the sounds of musket fire and sword clashing could be heard up and down the line, and the infamous Rebel Yell rang high. Twilight put in more reserves on either side hoping that she could repel the massive ranks of grey coming towards her. But, more kept coming. The Confederates were simply dishing out great swaths of damage on Twilight's flanks. Some ponies broke and run but were shot dead trying to fly or gallop away. Twilight was beginning to run out of reserves but refused to move any of the center.

"I believe that is where they will hit hardest. I can feel it" Twilight said to one of the couriers coming from one of her generals on the flanks. The Confederates were ruthless in their attack not letting up an inch while volley of cannon fire rang down on them. The ponies battled with very valiant ferocity but, Twilight could sense the line was wavering. She committed more and more reserves trying to reverse the Confederate tide. But, it seemed whenever she put in a reserve or tried a flanking maneuver in hoping to reverse the Confederate flank a new fresh brigade would be their waiting. The volley's of shot from the Confederate rifles was terrible. Ponies felt bullets enter their bodies and then exit with pain and ferocity. Many fell to this terrible weapon, bayoneted spear, or other terrible Confederate weapon. Couriers came multiple times to Lee telling how Twilight's line was shattered and the ponies were falling into disarray, panic, and rout. That's when Lee turned to Longstreet.

"You may bring your Corps forward General. Give those ponies hell. Open with artillery and then charge deep into their center and drive them out" Lee said to Longstreet. Longstreet saluted and sent a courier towards his divisional commanders. Soon a great many cannon erupted from Longstreet's lines and laid waste to Twilight's center. Twilight's flanks were barely holding their own and now their was going to be a frontal center attack she was deeply concerned. Her reserves were almost all gone. Longstreet's cannon was devastating to Twilight's center. But, the veterans in Twilight's center stood firm.

After about 30 minutes of hard shelling, Longstreet's cannon began to subside. The divisions leading the full frontal assault of Twilight's center were Wilcox's Division and his battle heartened Alabamians and Hood's Division with the famous shock troopers of the Army of Northern Virginia the "Texas Brigade". Soon, this third great grey mass moved from their set positions and moved towards Twilight's center. Longstreet's soldiers were probably some of the most hardened and tough troops in all of the Army of Northern Virginia and they lived up to their status. Twilight was slightly shocked by the sudden third great grey mass coming towards her center line. She had committed virtually all her reserves, her flanks were a complete nightmare, and her center was soon to face another powerful force. Twilight told her veteran ponies to stand firm and not give an inch. The massive grey lines got closer and closer to her center. Twilight's cannons poured on volley after volley hoping to make a dent in the giant moving grey and butternut force. Soon, Hood's division was at her fortifications. Her Veteran ponies were ready for what ever these so called "battle-hardened" troops could dish out even from the "Texas Brigade".

The Texans were the first to enter the center and there they met hell but, they also gave hell. The veteran ponies were in a tooth and tongue brawl with the burly farmers, ranchers, and cowboy's of the Lone Star State. The Texans fought valiantly many of them fell but, they continued to cause havoc. Soon more and more Confederate troops began to pour into the center of Twilight's line. Whatever reserves Twilight had left she committed to her center. Her flanks were practically gone at this point and whatever was left was but, mere resistance to a powerful Southern Juggernaut. Her center was holding strong but, felt slightly weak as more and more Confederates continued to pour in. The sea of grey was endless and the ocean of lead and shell was relentless. Soon, Twilight felt it....the.....line....was....breaking. Then, suddenly in a horrific and nightmarish matter her entire command collapsed with a great thump. The Confederates brawled their way through and were practically near her headquarters where now decimated regiments held their own against the grey masses. Her subordinate generals urged her to retreat across the gorge in which she finally agreed. Twilight headed out of her tent and she could hear the bugle cry for the call of retreat. But, by now it was no longer a retreat it was a fight to survive. Twilight, her subordinates, and what ever soldiers that were left in her command that weren't killed, wounded, captured, or missing raced as fast as they could to the bridge across the gorge. Twilight looked behind her and could see the great grey masses still chasing after them. Twilight galloped as fast as her legs would take her hoping not to be captured. Her soldiers and subordinates were just as quick. The Grey clad soldiers of the Confederacy were out for blood. Soon Twilight and what was left of her command arrived at the bridge that crossed the Gorge.

"Go Go Go Save Yourself" Twilight screamed to her soldiers urging them across the bridge. Twilight had fallen from one of the greatest military commanders in all of Equestria to a squandering little unicorn who only wanted to save her own skin. Slowly all the soldiers that managed to escape along with her subordinates and herself, were racing across the bridge. Twilight took one last look back and saw the grey mass had stopped moving. Twilight actually stopped in her tracks and looked and saw the CSE troops cheering and waving their bayoneted rifles and battle flags in the air. She could also hear in the distance a band playing some sort of tune (Dixie Land). Twilight then continued to run across the bridge but, with great tears streaming down her cheeks at the loss of her great army.

The Confederate States of Equestria's Army of Northern Virginia had triumphantly won the first battle of the war.

Author's Note:

Well guys here is the latest chapter and wasn't it awesome to see the first true battle. The Army of Northern Virginia is a very strong army and is not easy to break and they showed it by wiping Twilight and her Army's butt. But, what will Celestia's reaction be when she hears the Army of Ponyville failed epically? How will Twilight deal with her Army being virtually destroyed and the path to Canterlot being made much easier for the CSE? We Will See.

If you find any grammar mistakes please P.M. me or comment below since it really helps with my writing. Thanks a bunch!

The Map has changed so that no northern half of the US exist's but it's just the Southern Half of the US (Civil War Era).