• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 1,362 Views, 20 Comments

The Narrator - Sythax



Twilight's story just got a whole lot more interesting.

  • ...
0
 20
 1,362

To Chapter 6 and beyond!

Tears ran down Applejack's face as she cradled Twilight's head, rocking back and forth. The others sat around her, their eyes wet as they tried to comfort their weeping friend. A breeze blew across the beach, ruffling their manes.

"Commander Applejack looked up, she had thought she had heard something. Someone calling her name."

Applejack ignored the commentary, still staring down at Twilight.

"What do we do now?" asked Rarity quietly

Applejack tore her eyes from Twilight.

"I'm gonna tell ya what were gonna do! We gonna find this Narrator and give 'em a piece of our minds!" yelled Applejack "Ya hear me Narrator?! We're coming for you!"

"Gosh! Do you really need to be so dramatic? Its like you never read a ghost story before!"

"Rarity, what the hay is he on about?" grunted Applejack, her anger simmering.

"I do believe this story has taken a turn to the dark side" replied Rarity

"What?" said Applejack

Pinkie jumped up in front of Applejack, startling her.

"He means we're in a horror story! Duh!"

"Ya mean Twi a ghost?"

I believe so" said Rarity

Applejack laid down Twilight's head gently.

"So where is she?"

"In the haunted house of course!" cried Pinkie, pointing at the hill.

A mile down the beach from where the cavalry was fighting the grey-clad army was a house.The building stood tall upon the hill, a small veranda poked out from under the small tower that slung precariously to the top of the house. Its wooden shell was blackened with soot and rot, many window were broken, their white painted frames peeling.

"The five of them stared at the house, a feeling of dread emanating from it even from a distance."

The Narrator didn't need to force them to stare. Except the war stallion who was had returned to staring googly eyed at Rarity. The house was magnificent and dreadful at the same time. A collective shudder ran through the group.

"I don't like the look of that place" said Rarity as she turned to Applejack

"Neither do I. But Twilight is in there so we have to go." responded Applejack

"Come on guys, what are you waiting for?" yelled Pinkie Pie from the veranda of the house.

"What?! How did she...?! Would either of you mind explaining what just happened?"

"It's a long story" said Applejack as they started walking

"We've got time, the story cuts here."

***

Twilight felt herself drifting. It was an odd sensation to be weightless, floating in a void. There was nothing to see, just a black expanse of nothingness. She didn't feel dead, not that she knew how that felt but she had expected to feel something. But no, she felt about as normal as she could considering the circumstances.

"Hello?" called Twilight

"Ah! There you are. Just relax, the story hasn't caught up with you yet."

"What do you mean? Where am I?"

"Don't worry, the scene is just coming."

Sure enough the dark soon started to evaporate to reveal patches of light. Wooden floorboards and panelled walled came into view, building up the interior of a once noble house. Now it smelt of decay and rot as water dripped down the walls, peeling the paper, faint dirty light filtered in through the grimy windows, shifting over the cracked floor.

"Oh dear, this looks like-"

"A ghost story!"

"That what I was afraid of, I don't like ghosts." said Twilight

"Slightly ironic don't you think?"

"I suppose so, How much more is there to this story?"

"All in good time my dear"

A knock at the door drew her attention. The force of the banging sent dust drifting from the roof.

"Ah! They're here!"

Twilight turned at the sound of hoofsteps. She watched as somepony appeared at the top of the staircase. Somepony very familiar...

"Oh no, you didn't..."

***

The group stood on the veranda, the wind from the sea at their backs. They could hear their knocks echoing inside the house.

"Ya think anyone live here?" asked Applejack

"I dread to think" shuddered Rarity

Oh, somepony's coming!" squeaked Pinkie

"The hoofsteps got louder as they approached. The heavy black door, creaked open to reveal a smartly dressed yellow pegasus."

"Oh no! He doesn't mean?" gasped Rarity

"Of all the ponies to put into a ghost story" said Applejack

On cue the door cracked open to reveal a yellow pegasus wearing a black butler's suit. She peered out at the group.

"Oh...um...hi guys." stuttered Fluttershy

"Hello dear, may we come in?" asked Rarity politely.

"The butler welcomed the inspectors, she had been waiting for their arrival."

Fluttershy jumped as she began to speak.

"Inspector Rarity I presume? And you must be Officer Applejack"

With a change of story had come another change of costumes. Both Rarity and Applejack wore long black trench coats on top of grey waistcoats. Rarity had a bowler hat while Applejack supported a peaked officers cap. They made for quite a jumbled bunch. An Inspector, an Officer, a Roman Legionnaire, a love struck soldier and a small blue octopus.

Fluttershy stared at the group.

"Um...what's going on?" she asked quietly

"Let us discuss it over tea shall we?" said Rarity, obviously getting into the role.

"Oh! I like that, I'm adding that to the script. With a flourish the butler swung open the door, allowing the groups to enter the house."

They walked inside, Fluttershy closing the door behind them.

"Alright break time! I need to make some changes to the script so just...I don't know...have some tea and biscuits, I'll be back for Chapter 7"

When they were sure he was gone the other filled in Fluttershy on the situation, oblivious to the invisible unicorn that heard every word they said.