• Published 14th Apr 2014
  • 695 Views, 29 Comments

The Monster Inside - Lonepone



Vinyl Scratch and Octavia are stuck as college dorm mates. Will they end up loving or killing each other? After all, its not like you haven't read this story a thousand times, right?

  • ...
5
 29
 695

How Uptight, How Uncouth

I sit down on my bed, my eyelids drifting shut as I listen to the music. Having just done my daily run, I decided I deserve a little relaxation.

As in spending the rest of the day drinking pop, playing games, and messing with our turntable? Not very healthy.

I ignore that little voice in the back of my head.

My chin rests on my chest, and my breathing slows down. I hit the volume up button a few times, and smile. My headphones are amazing. Monster DNAs. I’m listening to one of my own songs. Loud and exuberant, like the rest of the album.

I think I hear somepony calling my name. I slip my headphones around my neck.

“Vinyl” My dad, a white pegasi, calls me from my doorway.

“Huh?”

Really? Huh? How stu-

“Whats up?” I cut it off.

“You got a letter” He tosses a thick white envelope on the foot of my bed. “I think it’s the academy”

I pick up the envelope in my magic, and tear it open. I take out the cover letter. I read through the acceptance letter. It says I’m in, but with all the flowery language that I expected.

“You get accepted?” My dad asks me.

I jump up and squee in reply. "Full Scholarship!"

He laughs. “Your mother would have been proud. Listen, you know that new restaurant that opened up down the street? Let’s eat out for supper”

---

I drag the bow across the strings of my cello, and it produces a low sound in return. I’m tired from doing my daily cardiovascular workout, but I force myself to support the instrument. No rest.

“Octavia” My mothers prim voice calls to me from my doorway. Shes a dark grey unicorn, same as my father.

She levitates a thick white envelope over to me, which has already been opened, and read through. “The Academy has accepted you” She says stiffly. "We have agreed to pay your full tuition"

"Of course they accepted me. They would be mad not to" I say, mirroring my mothers tone.

"Octavia, your father and I have agreed that I shall take you out for dinner tonight". My ears perk up. "This is a big, if predictable, occasion, and a small amount of celebration is not out of line"

I stand, and offer my mother a small smile. She returns it.

My parents may be strict, but they aren't bad parents. "Mother, may I ask where we are going?"

"Tis a surprise" is all I can get out of her.

---

Me and Dad walk down the street, laughing and talking. Sometimes, he almost feels more like an older brother then my father.

"So what's green, red, and goes round n round n round?"

I think, trying to figure out the punchline. I quickly give up.

"A frog in a blender" he says, grinning.

"Hoh mah gawd" I chuckle.

"So what are you going to do about your friends?" He asks me.

"Friends? You know how I've had a hard time making any here. The few I got are all online"

"Alright. I wish you could've had an easier time at this school"

"Nah! Did I tell you my favourite quote by deadmau5?"

"Nope"

"'The less time you spend fitting into everyone else's thing, the more time you have to do your own thing'. Pretty cool, huh?"

"It does fit you pretty well. Now that we're kinda on the topic of music, how goes your latest EP?"

"I'm on schedule. I've got three original compositions done, and I'm working on the fourth. I've done two remixes"

"And the colab project with Neon Sky?"

"Waiting for her to get back to me"

"Hm. So when you gonna let your old man work with you? I understand the concepts pretty well, and I have tried using your programming"

"Not yet. I want to be at the top of my game, so it comes out perfectly"

"So all good?"

"All good. Is that it up there?" I point to a new brick building.

"That's the spot. I've heard it's good"

The two of us walk in, and order a table for two.

---

My mother and I walk through the streets silently. I remember all the etiquette training she had me do.

Head up, neck strait. Do not make eye contact, but don't stare at the ground. Do nor look at the others around you. Take measured, precise steps. Take precise, measured steps.

The crowd parts before us. I trail behind and to the left of my mother. She splits the masses, and I follow in her wake.

I take a moment, and admire her at work. She has a presence to her that makes even the largest, toughest stallion back away. I have been on the receiving end of that air far more then I would like.

I lack her power. My trainer says it is because I lack the right traits. My father says it is due to the fact I'm a mudpony.

We arrive at a large red brick building. The crowd at the doors splits before us, all except a white unicorn and a white pegasi.

We wait in line behind them. My mother stares at them, as if questioning why they didn't part and bow before us. I think they hardly ever noticed us.

---

I notice the crowd behind us split, as a dark grey unicorn, and a charcoal grey earth pony approaches. I turn back to my dad, who's talking with the receptionist. He slides a few bits across the counter, and the receptionist pockets them. I over hear the words 'best seat' and 'quick service' from the receptionist.

"Just give us what's available. We're nopony special" he says.

I turn and look at the new arrivals behind us. The unicorn is giving my dad the stink eye. I instantly get a bad vibe from her

Seems like a stuck up bitch the voice agrees.

The young earth pony, however, just seems curious. I smile at her. She notices, and stiffins. She raises her head, and looks down her nose at me. I stick out my tongue at her. She does a double take, shocked. Her eyes flicker to the older mare, then at me. She makes a face at me. I grin again, and she just looks confused.

She's just as isolated as you are.

How so?

Can't you feel the loneliness coming off her?

I mean, how am I isolated?

Oh, come on. You hide behind your shades. You hide behind a username and a droid screen. You hide behind your hole DJ persona. You isolate yourself willingly.

And how does she isolate herself, if you've got the answers.

Look at her. Tell me what you see.

I see a somewhat cute made, who is rather confused at the moment.

Why is she confused?

Because I was messing with her.

No.

Then why the fuck is she confused?

Figure it out.

You.

My god, why are you so stubborn?

Fine. She's confused because she's not in situations like this.

Why not?

I dunno... because she isn't around other ponies.

There ya go.

"Coming, Vinyl?" My dad asks me.

I take one last look at the two behind us, and then walk with my dad.

As I walk, I hear the older mare's prissy voice say "Give us you best seats"

"Yes ma'am, right away ma'am" the new receptionist says.

---

I lean back in the chair, appreciating the good meal I just ate, tapping my hoof to the beat of the song playing through the speakers. And eavesdropping on the two mares, who were seated right behind us.

"Ugh. Mother, why did we come here?" I'm assuming the younger one asks.

"I thought you'd enjoy it" her mother says.

"You know my tastes. This" she pauses. I assume that she's waving her hoof at the whole place, since I can't see her. "Isn't my taste"

"Well, appreciate the thought"

"What kind of music is this?" Octavia asks.

I decide to introduce myself. I turn around, and look at the two. I notice the little bow that the one called Octavia is wearing. “deadmau5” I say.

“Excuse me?” the mom says.

“The music. It’s made by deadmau5”

“I’m sorry. My name is Octavia. You are?” the child asks me, holding out a hoof.

“Vinyl Scratch” I say, bumping her hoof. She looks confused at this gesture. “What you apologizing for?”

“Well, this isn’t your conversation” She says.

“Well, I was just being friendly. No need to be so uptight”

“Yes” The mother says. “Turn around, and continue your date with you boyfriend”

I look at her. “Excuse me?”

“That is who he is, isn’t it?” Octavia asks.

“Well, for your information, he’s my dad”

“He’s a little young, isn’t he?”

“I dunno. But he’s raised me just fine”

“Apparently not, if he allows you to be this rude to others”

“Well, I’d rather be this than the stuck up pony you are”

“Excuse you. I am not stuck up. I am educated, not stuck up”

“Same difference to me”

“Well, not to me. You obviously aren’t as high class as I am. Peas-”

“Octavia” Her mother says sharply. “Enough. Now, you. Vinyl” She spits my name. “Leave this conversation”

I smirk at Octavia, and turn back to my dad.

Well handled. Although you should've been more aggressive.

"Ready to go?" He asks me.

"Yeah. Let's blow this popsicle stand"

He writes a check for the bill. He puts down ten bits for the tip, and I contribute five. We get up and leave, I nudge Octavia with my flank as I walk by her.

"So you like it there?" My dad asks.

"Loved the music playlist. The food was pretty good too"

"Same here. Although it would be nice if they played some more rock"

"Why, hoping your band would come up?"

He sighs. "I'm not in a band, never have been"

"Then where did you get your sick bass guitar skills?"

"Just picked them up along the way"

"Oh really"

"Yup. So what where you saying to those two behind us?"

What will you tell him?

"They where wondering what the music was. So I told them. Nothing exciting"

"What where they like?"

I pause for a moment. "Uptight" I say, and the voice choruses with me.

Dad does double take, hearing something different in my voice. I clear my throat. "Sorry, rough throat" I lie.

He stares at me for a moment. "Whatever. So, when are we going to see the dorms?"

"Well, its June now, so in about two months" I answer.

"Well, might as well start getting some essentials"

---

“Octavia. Let’s leave. I regret ever coming to this place” my mother says.

My mom writes a check, and then stands up to go. As we leave, I watch our waiter check the table for a tip. We didn’t leave one.

“Octavia, dear, never ever become like that horrible pony” my mother warns me.

“Yes, Mother. Believe me, I would never want to be someone as... as...”

“Uncouth?” She offers.

“Yes. Uncouth. And so rude”

“Good”

We walk out the door, as stiff and prim as when we arrived. The crowds split as before. A few solitary drops start hitting my back. I look up, and dark grey clouds are over head.

My mother hails a cab simply by staring it down. We get in it, and tell the cab our address.

“Eh, uptown huh?” The cab driver says in a heavy Manehatten accent.

“Just take us there, without the chitchat” My mother says coldly. "Class starts in two months" she says to me. "I shall get you all the necessary items"

The rest of the ride is spent in silence. When we arrive at our house, Mother pays the fee, and we get out.

---

A few drops hit my ear, making them twitch in annoyance.

"We gonna get a cab?" I ask.

"Nah. Only if it starts pouring"

Soon enough, it does. We spend a few precious moments getting soaked before we get a cab.

We get in, and tell the cab driver our address. We make small talk as we drive. When we arrive, we thank the driver, pay, and give a generous tip.

We get out, and my dad walks around the cab onto the sidewalk. I look up into the sky, up at the massive boiling grey clouds. The rain has nearly dissipated now. A few cold drops land on my upturned face. I look back down, and walk into my home, a cramped apartment building.

---

We get out of the cab. I walk around onto the sidewalk, and look up at the sky. The rain is dying out finally. I stand for a few moments, looking up into the grey bellies of the cloud. A few straggling drops fall on my face, chilling me. I walk into my house, a luxurious mansion.

Author's Note:

Well, chapter one. Please like/dislike, and say why you liked/disliked it. Constructive criticism welcome.