• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,282 Views, 43 Comments

A Heartfelt Symphony - Star_Streak



Octavia can't find another job after the Grand Galloping Gala so she ends up working in a nightclub with a new owner. A mare by the name of Vinyl Scratch.

  • ...
3
 43
 1,282

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Octavia stumbled into the apartment (with Vinyl's support) just as the sun began to rise over the horizon. Neither of them were completely drunk although Octavia did need a little help on the stairs. They made their way over to the couch and sat down beside each other. Octavia smiled and gently leaned against Vinyl who blushed softly but made no effort to move her away.

"Thank you for taking me to the party Vinyl, I had a really good time."

"No problem. I had a good time too", Vinyl said.

The cellist looked up at her, "But I'm so boring compared to you or Bon Bon."

Vinyl looked back at her and smiled, "No you're not. I would've just gotten drunk again if you weren't there. I actually really enjoyed hanging out with you."

Dear Celestia, I'm so cheesy, She thought to herself.

Octavia giggled softly, "You're so sweet. I can't believe that you don't have a coltfriend already."

"Yea, uhh...me neither. I mean, I can't believe you don't have one either", Vinyl's blush darkened. Smooth Vinyl...real smooth, she thought.

Octavia looked away from the white unicorn with a soft sigh, "Have I told you why I moved to Manehatten?"

Vinyl frowned a little, confused by the sudden change in mood. "Didn't you wanna get big or something? This is the place to do it after all."

"No, I used to live in Los Pegasus with my mom and dad. I used to take cello lessons with a private tutor every Saturday and Sunday, each one lasting for a few hours. Then, when my cutie mark showed up, they decided it was time for me to start preforming at their parties for the guests. Why they were so insistent on the cello, I don't know." She paused for a moment.

"But, what does that have to do with you moving here? And why are you telling me all this now?"

"I'm getting to that and I don't know why I'm telling you this now, I just feel like I need to do it."

Vinyl shut up as the other mare continued.

"My parents are very contemporary. They do not approve of modern, electronic music and most definetly not approve of where I live now. That being said, I was always told that I had to be a perfect gentlepony. Perfect manners, perfect posture, perfect preformances, etcetera. After a while, I just got tired of it; and so I left."

"You just left? But what about that thing in Canterlot with the Pony Pokey? Wasn't that like a year and a half ago?" Vinyl asked, surpried that Octavia was telling her all of this.

"I went back after a couple of weeks when I realized that I had no idea what I was doing in the real world. I had no money or connections to get me anywhere. Of course, my parents were furious. They didn't allow me to leave the house for weeks. Then, on my nineteeth birthday, my father told me that I was to get married to a stallion from another family. The only problem was that I didnt like him, much less love him."

"Well why didn't you tell him that you didn't love him?" Vinyl asked.

"Believe me, I did. But it wasn't just that. He told me that if i could find any other noble pony for me to marry, then it would be arranged. That was when I told him that there was no stallion at all..." Octavia trailed off.

Vinyl tilted her head a little, "What do you mean?"

She can't mean...no, there's no way I'd be that lucky.

Octavia shook her head softly, "Goddesses you're so thick sometimes Vinyl. I'm saying that I dont like stallions."

Oh Celestia, she did mean that. Vinyl stayed quiet, waiting for Octiavia to continue.

"When I told him that, he 'freaked', as you say. I was forced to stay in my room, 'Until I make the right choice and decide to be their daughter again.' This was about eight months ago. After that, I realized that they would never consider me their daughter and so I left again. I tried to make it on my own but, because of my Pony Pokey reputation, I couldn't get a job anywhere. So I finally gave up on finding a job like I used to get and applied for a job at a new nightclub", Octavia stopped talking and looked up at Vinyl, waiting for a reaction.

Vinyl stared at the musician for a moment, releasing a breath that she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

"Wow...I-I don't know what to say. I just...wow..." The unicorn said, still unsure of why Octavia had revealed all of this now.

"And I have a confession to make..." Octavia said slowly.

There's more?!, Vinyl thought.

"I've had enough money to move out for a while now."

"Wait...what? Wasn't that your goal? To move out when you had the money?"

Octavia nodded, "Yes, it was my goal. I wanted to move out for the first couple of nights but, when I'd gotten to know you a little more, I realized that I wanted to stay. I didn't want to just see you at work..." Her blush was visible even through her grey coat. "If you want me to leave now, I understand."

Vinyl stared at her for the seventh time that day. "No, you don't have to move out. I like having you here with me. I also kinda...ya know. I like you."

Why. Am. I. So. Awkward?!

Octavia smiled, relieved and a little surprised. "I'm so glad you'll let me stay. I..." Her eyes widen as she realizes what Vinyl said. "Y-you do?!"

The white pony nodded, her electric blue mane falling in front of her face. "Yea."

Octavia smiled again, much wider this time and brushed Vinyl's mane out of her face. She leaned back against the other mare and nuzzled into her neck softly. Vinyl nuzzled back and slowly wrapped an arm around the cellist.

"Does this mean that you and me...?" Vinyl asked nervously.

Octavia giggled and nodded, "If you want it to." She rested her head on the DJ's shoulder softly, snuggling into her embrace, "Oh, and it's 'you and I.'"