• Published 29th Mar 2012
  • 2,354 Views, 37 Comments

The Final Crusade - ungodly



Seperated for years after a fight, the CMC reunite, but can they make amends?

  • ...
18
 37
 2,354

Applebloom

Chapter 2: Appleblooms Life


"Following the death of long time Wonderbolt Soarin earlier today, police have been searching for the now on the run Scootaloo, looking for any information about her personal life that can lead to her apprehension and questioning regarding her apparent acts of flying while under the influence of alcohol. It has been assumed for years that illegal and highly dangerous acts have been hidden and covered up by the Wonderbolts from connections to Canterlot. We pressed Wonderbolts veteran Spitfire for an interview, who refused to comment on the situat-."


*thump!*

The radio emitted gentle white noise as Applebloom slammed her hooves to the desk, jolting the channel away from the news. "I'm telling you, we can't keep cutting costs like this! It can put ponies in serious danger!" Applebloom snorted.

Sitting across the other side of the table was an elderly stallion, unpleased with Applebloom’s stubbornness. Scratching his head, he began to speak calmly. "Now, my dear, if we did everything by the book, 'your way', we would be broke in months. Our division refuses to invest enough resources---"

"Save it, you old foal!" Applebloom shouted, cutting the stallion of mid sentence. "You forget that I'm the one with the cutie mark for construction! My company knows what they're doing, and we've saved your flank hundreds of times over the years. Heck, most of Manehatten’s newest buildings are our work! This is the last straw, Penscribe. Bloom Construction is done with your reckless attempts at putting ponies’ lives at risk just to make a few extra bits!"

Penscribe simply stared at Applebloom for several seconds before realizing that she was indeed serious about leaving. Applebloom had always threatened to leave Hard Cash Co. in the past, but Penscribe knew her well enough to figure out her lies. Rubbing his temples with his hooves, Penscribe gave a soft whinny as he stood, making his way behind Applebloom with a trot, his calm demeanor now much more sinister as the stallion began to slowly whisper into her ear.

"Applebloom, you wouldn't want to upset Hard Cash, would you? Besides, without us, it would be your company that would be broke. You wouldn't even be here without us!"

"You think you can intimidate me? I am not scared of you! Tell your boss to stick a carrot up there, I'm done with this shady company." Applebloom pushed past Penscribe, a look of concern now forming on the elderly stallions face.

"Please Applebloom. Don't upset Hard Cash, he is a very persuasive pony!" Penscribe pleaded to the stubborn mare, but it was too late. Applebloom had already made an exit from the run down construction booth, grabbing her hat from the table in the process, slamming the door shut with her flank on the way out. Applebloom fought back tears as she slowly walked along the roads of Manehatten. Taking in the sights always seemed to calm her at times like this, and she needed it today more than ever. To tell her whole company they had just lost one of their biggest sources of income was going to be devastating, but it wasn't the first time. She had left many times before, but always come crawling back in the end. Nearly every advertisement space in the city was lined with her companies ad, yet she knew that all her work had to go through Penscribe and Hard Cash first to even get approved, the two biggest names in Manehatten, if not Equestria for that matter. She was receiving decent work, but it felt dirty, wrong. Applebloom hated being like a dog on a leash, but it was her only choice.

Applebloom was furious with herself for letting somepony like that run her company for so many years, yet however she looked at the situation, Penscribe was right. Without him, her company would never have the work it does, and probably would have been out of business before the brand name was even established. Worse for that matter was the fact that If they even found out about the funds she had been smuggling from right under their noses to fix the regulation codes....she shuddered to think. She had heard multiple rumors that Penscribe and Hard Cash liked to intimidate their uncooperative partners, going so far as to make them vanish without a trace. Accusations had come and gone from the authorities, but they could never prove anything.

As much as she hated taking the funds, she had to do it. There was always that off chance that something would go wrong and all the blame would shift to her company, being held liable while those two bit-grabbing thieves would walk free. Several other Hard Cash clients who failed to follow their orders in the past had all recently been indicted, her rival company, Wings and Things being the latest target. The poor bastards were blamed for a collapsed skyscraper, filing for bankruptcy just to pay the lawyers.


Applebloom walked by what was possibly the only park left in the City, noticing several fillies playing on the playground she had built just last week. Her entire company had touched up the park in their free time, turning it from a muddy hole into what it was now. To see the fillies run around care free put a slight smile on her face, remembering the care free times she had when she was younger, and how quickly she had to grow up after she arrived here. She had lost almost all of her final years of being young trying to establish her company and find her place. She had left everything behind. Applejack, Sweet Apple Acres, even her accent. According to Hard Cash, 'no one wants to talk to a southern s hick in Manehatten'. Applebloom had even failed to keep in contact with her family for well over ten years.

Several of the fillies waved cheerfully to Applebloom, but she continued on, ignoring them as her focus was set on much more pressing issues. Arriving at her companies building, she took a quick glance at the structure. It was visibly different, more so than any other building in the city. It had a certain Ponyville charm to it, warm and inviting, a complete opposite compared to the other buildings around the city, all of which were cold and sterile, courtesy of Hard Cash Co. Approaching, Applebloom recognized the voices of two particular brothers arguing.

"I am telling you, Flim, the disk cobobulator connects to the ignition shaft!"

"I am telling you, brother of mine, it connects to the auxiliary exhaust!"

Applebloom coughed slightly, the two brothers stopping their work to pay attention to Applebloom, faces covered in oil. She had hired them when she started the company to be in charge of the electronics of the buildings, and while they occasionally tried to cheat their way to finish the work, or even make a few extra bits out of gullible ponies, they had quickly become two of Applebloom’s closest Manehatten friends. She remembered their failed cider career when she was younger, and felt bad for them. Standing, the two brothers grabbed some oil rags from nearby to wipe their faces, glancing back between each other and Applebloom for several seconds, Flam stroking his mustache as he spoke up.

"Something the matter, my dear Applebloom?" Flam questioned, Flim looking on with an overly faked smile.

"I need everypony inside, staff meeting. I have some rather pressing issues to discuss."

"I see..." Flim whispered, the two brothers quickly turning back to the machine they were working on, almost as if Applebloom never approached. The pair gave a symmetrical hoof wave, signaling that they understood the urgency of the situation. Applebloom always liked that quality in the two of them, being able to know when a situation was bad, their judgment having saved quite a few of Applebloom’s design plans from backfiring.

The inside of her company was small, by Manehatten standards anyway. It contained a working area, where Flim and Flam were, housing a garage on the left side. The main area held a simple reception desk, equipped with basic office equipment, but never any receptionist, budget being too tight to bother with one. There was also a worn out sofa near a coffee table that was littered with old magazines. A walled of area was straight ahead, containing several rooms, one leading to the garage, the toilets, and a door to the staff room. A hallway also existed to the right, which housed several other doors, containing storage lockers for client based paperwork, a room for construction plans, a few crew areas and finally, Applebloom’s office, all out of view from the main area.

Applebloom entered her office, throwing her hat onto the desk. Applebloom eyed a familiar photo frame, which was very dear to her. Picking it up, she stared at it for what seemed the millionth time. It was the final photo taken while she still lived in Ponyville, right before she had left her so-called 'friends' behind to pursue her career and find her purpose. The photo contained the three Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applejack, as well as her other five friends, including the now deceased Rainbow Dash. As much as she tried to deny it, she missed Ponyville, and was terribly homesick. The last thing that Applejack had given her was her old hat, which she took with her, no matter the place.

Sighing, she put the frame back onto the desk before a slight knock on her office door startled her. "What do you want?" Applebloom shouted, the door creping open to reveal a rather young stallion sticking his nose inside.

"We're waiting for you in the staff room, boss." whispered the stallion as Applebloom gave a sigh.

"Please, Rumble, I told you, its Applebloom."

"Y...yes ma'am...s...sorry ma'am" Rumble squeaked softly as he backed away from the door. Applebloom quickly scooped up her hat, following him outside. As Rumble and Applebloom walked together towards the staff room, Rumbles gaze was constantly darting between Applebloom and the floor, a visible blush apparent on his cheeks.

"Rumble, I've known you for most of my time in Manehatten. We are both from around Ponyville, there is no need to be nervous, we are like family now. Stop being so darn shy around me!"

"Sorry bo....i mean...Applebloom" Rumble said as he faked a grin, entering the staff room quickly ahead of Applebloom to avoid her gaze. Rumble was like a little brother to Applebloom, and the Pegasus had been there for her from the moment she arrived in Manehatten. While originally there to see his brother, who was earlier that year diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma, he seemed to stay for Applebloom, going to such lengths as to front half the money for the business, paid straight from Thunderlane’s will, even being so kind as to give her a place to stay when she had nothing.

Why he did it, Applebloom had no idea, but it was one of the kindest acts she ever saw in anypony, and the two had been friends ever since. Even with the company draining most of Rumbles inheritance, he had refused to stop, claiming he had nowhere else to go. Rumble was always the shy one, and could never properly look anypony else in the eyes, even swaying up and down on his legs was the end result of his confidence.

Rumble was several years younger than Applebloom, looking almost the same he did when he was little, his swept back mane now gracefully going down the length of his back, covering most of his neck. He was well built for his age, his frame a lot like Big Macintosh's back in the day. His cutie mark was very fitting for his name, a smashed up boulder, going along nicely with his career as the team’s demolitions pony.

Entering the staff room, Applebloom suddenly received a gut feeling of being judged as dozens of her workers stared in silence. Holding back a cough, Applebloom addressed her workers. "H...hey everyone, I'm afraid we have some rather bad news. Hard Cash Co. has been disconnected from Bloom Construction."

"How could you?" A voice from the crowd mentioned.

"What about our bits? You haven't paid us in three weeks!" Said another, rallying up several others.

The crowd’s arguing was now growing louder each second, the small group quickly making their way over to Applebloom with looks of contempt and hatred on their faces. All Applebloom could do was back into a corner as the raging mob pilled around her.

"Thats...ENOUGH!" a voice yelled out amongst the mob, the crowd quickly quieting down. Rumble stepped in front of the group, pacing backwards and forwards, protecting Applebloom as his shy demeanor was now seemingly gone completely. "We will find more bits, we always have... but to disrespect Applebloom after she has done so much for this company...for everypony, is just appalling. She does so much for each of you--"

"Rumble, its okay..." Applebloom gestured, trying not to make a scene.

"No...no its not. This lovely mare has done so much for you all, without even asking for anything but loyalty back. You two, the Kramer twins, who stayed out all night looking for your little colt when he run away while a tornado was scheduled? huh? and what about you two? Did she complain when she spent all night, by herself, fixing up the hole in your roof that was caused by that thunderstorm?"

"Yeah, but she..."

"We are meant to be like family here, through thick and thin. We help each other, not ourselves! Bits come and go, but family and friends are not going to be around forever!"

With the heartwarming little speech, the whole work crew gathered around Applebloom, offering their apologies. But the question remained, with one of the workers bringing it up.

"But what will we do for bits? I haven't properly eaten in weeks!"

Applebloom stood from her cowering position, finally addressing the crowd herself. "We do what we have always done, stick together. For now, go home, get some rest and we will figure something out in the morning. I know our bits and food have been rather scarce these few weeks, but we will manage, we always have."

The crowd started to quietly talk amongst themselves as Appleblooms gaze locked onto Rumble. Teary eyed, a "Thank...you" being all she could say under her breath, a simple nod of approval from Rumble being more than enough of a response. Outside the building, Applebloom wiped the sweat from her forehead, breathing a sigh of relief before speaking. "I don't know what I would do without you, Rumble. You saved my sorry flank back there."

"Th...thank you...A...Applebloom. It might not be for long, t...though. Bits make the world go 'round after all." Rumble stuttered as he kicked the ground with his hoof, staring at the sky for several seconds to try and avert his gaze. "We better get moving...... or you will be late to p...pick her up again."


Applebloom gave a gentle smile as the two friends started walking down the sterile looking streets together. The daily walk between Applebloom and Rumble at the end of a hard day was always pleasant, like a weight being lifted from Appleblooms shoulders. She had tried countless times to bring Rumble out of his shell, each evening the two would discuss the day’s events and the clients each of them had to go through. As he kicked some pebbles with his hoof, Rumble was the first to speak up. "You....you're so lucky, Applebloom. Free from that bit l...leech Hard Cash. I wish I had the honor." Applebloom gave a simple nod before realizing Rumble had stopped several paces behind her, suddenly bucking some trash cans over in anger, his shyness vanishing in an instant. "Why do people like us let people like him always run our lives!?" he spouted, tears starting to form in his eyes.

Applebloom sighed, turning around to face the upset pony, calmly speaking. "I will never truly be free, Rumble. He still has my company under key and lock from a contract. My work is my life, and I care about everypony that is a part of it, like family. I could never just pack up and leave. You of all ponies should know there is no leaving from anything Hard Cash related anyway. We are in this together, just like you said when you helped fund this company."

"I know that! I....I just want...wanted..."

"To feel happy again?" Applebloom said

"Wha...what...how..how did you know?"

"If knowing you for over twenty five years hasn't allowed me to get in touch with my closest friend’s feelings, I am not a very good friend." Applebloom whispered as she trotted past Rumble, pointing towards the park the group had fixed up last week. The same fillies were still lurking and again waved, Applebloom returning the gesture with a grin. "Want to know how I make it through each day without you around, Rumble? Take Manehatten for example, it’s always a disgusting, glum pile, but it will always have that one spot of sunshine in it that all areas do. Its happy place."

"Happy...place?" Rumble questioned. "I don't get it"

"Yes, happy place. Think of Manehatten like our minds, it can be full of bad things from time to time, but we all have that one place we can think of that makes us happy...our own little park in a sterile world. If I'm feeling down, I just think of my happy place."

"What is your happy place?" Rumble asked, a slight smile creeping on his face.

"I have two. The first being all the good times I had back in Ponyville. Something like that can never make me truly sad."

"I...think I understand...try...try and zone out the bad thoughts?" Rumble pondered as Applebloom winked sheepishly, knowing that several young fillies and colts were approaching Rumble, pulling at the stallions mane to urge him to go play.

"Have fun, I have to jet. Try not to worry about the bits, we will think of something tomorrow." Applebloom shouted as she trotted of, waving goodbye as her friend was dragged away by the carefree children against his will.

"Applebloom, what was your second happy place?" Rumble nervously asked from the crowd of the young ponies as they tugged at his overgrown mane.

"You should know that, Rumble. It’s Appleshine!" Applebloom shouted as she continued walking, her thoughts now focusing on her daughter, quickly leaving her friend to toil in the games of the children. She had given birth to her almost six years ago, and she was a few years younger than herself at Ponyville back in the day, the end result out of a rushed and ruined marriage. Just before contact with Ponyville had stopped, Applebloom thought she had met the perfect Stallion. He was charming, charismatic and all around sweet. But that all changed once he had lost his job, and income was very tight.

He was constantly drinking, hurting himself in ways no pony should....and worst of all he was taking his anger out on the only one that couldn't fight back, Applebloom. The job was everything to him, and without it, something snapped. For years she had to endure constant beatings from his drunken rampages, until one day, she had woke up to find he was gone. She still loved him deep down, but after all that, he left her, alone and pregnant. With the constant shortage of bits over the years, raising the filly was difficult, but she tried to provide what she could, and the two were happy with what little they had.


Applebloom approached the school, and like most of the other parts of the city, it too had a sterile look to it. Almost all the buildings in Manehatten were a single color, mostly Hard Cash's idea, with the mysterious pony believing that they are a place of business, not pleasure. Trotting towards the school doors, Applebloom noticed her daughter standing there, two of Hard Cash's thugs beside her. With a mothers instinct kicking in and not a second thought, Applebloom raced forward, snatching up her daughter and hiding her from their sight.

"Hello, mommy! These are my new friends!" The little filly explained, a giant grin on her face covering ear to ear. Applebloom quickly hushed the filly, staring at her daughter with a very serious expression of contempt.

"The only thing these guys happen to be are bit leeches. I told you time and time again, Appleshine, never talk to strangers. What if they grabbed you!?" Applebloom huffed in anger as one of the two business Stallions stepped forward.

"Please, Applebloom. Not all of us are the monsters people claim us to be, we simply do our jobs as told." The first stated, the second quickly speaking up soon after.

"Most of us were going to let your....slip up slide, but then we found out about the bits, Applebloom." Applebloom’s face suddenly turned into a nervous glance, realizing they must have found out about the funds she used to correct the buildings.

"How did you find out?" Applebloom asked, as the two business Stallions stared at each other, small smiles now creeping on their otherwise grim faces.

"Because Applebloom, you just told us!" Snickered the first Stallion. It then hit her, and hit her hard. She had just made her biggest mistake, they had played their 'ace in the hole', tricked her.

"For a long time Hard Cash has noticed small amounts of bits being siphoned, but never could find out where they were going. Now it looks like we know. This is a very interesting development, Applebloom. It seems now Hard Cash has a way to collect and use your services!"

"You won’t get a bit from me! I barely have enough to get by on my own, and now this!" Applebloom stated.

"Yes, my dear. We understand your living conditions, and Mr. Penscribe was more than persistent to let it slide....but we follow Hard Cash, and Hard Cash alone. Boss’s orders, I'm afraid."

"So what....you are just going to kill me?! Is that it?"

"No....you misunderstand. We simply want your services to continue. The construction department here in Manehatten runs on razor tight funding and we were injecting most of it into your business. Applebloom, Without you, we would lose our foot holding here, and the boss would not like that very much."

"Is there a point to this steaming pile of trash you fellers are spewing?"

"To give you a warning, Applebloom. Your flank, and your company will always belong to Hard Cash. Even if you wanted to quit, you cannot escape the fact you stole a lot of bits from us over the years, Applebloom. We need you...and you need us."

"M...mommy? Is that true?" The little filly mumbled, Applebloom quickly hushing her quiet with a hoof wave.

"We need to collect, one way or another. If you don't want to rejoin our company’s services....well... accidents happen." That was the last call. Applebloom could tolerate the years of neglect from Hard Cash, but threatening lives of her friends and family just to make her cooperate was the last straw. Leaping at the business stallion, Applebloom bucked him twice, once in the chest, and another in the jaw sending him toppling backwards, the second stallion bracing his fallen comrade as they both hit the ground hard.

"Now you listen here. I would rather be poor than have to put up with working for Hard Cash the rest of my life! I took those bits to help keep Hard Cash's shoddy cutbacks at bay! The wiring, the supports, all made from cheap, lesser materials. A walking death trap!" Without thinking twice, Applebloom hoisted Appleshine onto her back and trotted away, a final yell from one of the two business stallions could be heard.

"Accidents happen, Applebloom....accidents happen!"


The walk back to Appleblooms house was a fairly long one, and took a rather hefty forty minute train ride. The mare and her filly entered the train, quickly occupying a seat as a dozen or so other ponies filled the train to capacity. For several minutes the two stayed silent, Appleblooms gaze staring at the floor while Appleshine stood on her hind legs, looking out of the train’s window from her seat. After a few stops had passed, the little filly finally spoke up.

"Are we going to be poor, momma?" She croaked as her gaze stayed on the window, unwilling to face her mother’s now obvious staring.

"We have always been poor, Appleshine." Applebloom sarcastically replied, knowing that the question asked was rather rhetorical.

"No....i mean...poorer than poor?" Appleshine sighed, not impressed with her mother’s tone.

"We'll manage, sweetheart. We have been scraping by for awhile now, and your old mom losing one of her clients isn't going to make us any poorer. We just need a lucky break."

"But what about the bits you took from them? Why did you steal them?" Appleshine questioned as she sat back in her seat, her head tilting to the side as she asked the question, staring Applebloom in the face.

"Appleshine....sweetheart, I did what I had to do....I had to make sure nopony would get hurt. You can always get some lousy bits back, but if somepony ever gets hurt---"

"You mean killed, mommy?" The filly corrected, knowing the term bluntly.

"Yes....killed. You are very smart for your age, you know that Appleshine?"

"Everypony says that, it’s silly."

"No it’s not." Applebloom stated as she nuzzled Appleshine’s face affectionately. "Never hide who you are and what makes you special. You are you, and never let anypony else tell you otherwise." The silence again continued between the two as Applebloom took in her daughter’s innocent appearance and charm, admiring the filly she had raised all on her own. She looked almost identical to Applebloom when she was a filly in terms of body structure, her mane very short and scruffy all over, a trait of her father’s. Her eyes were a lovely dark blue and her skin was a dark red, her mane a lovely shade of blond to it. Appleshine was very intelligent for her age, and often received praise from her teachers. Applebloom knew the filly had yet to make a single friend, but her hopes were high. Applebloom herself really only had one friend until she met Scootaloo and Sweetiebelle.

The train screeched to a halt as it reached their stop, the two quickly departing so as not to get trapped by the automatic doors. Applebloom’s house was only a block away from the station, and she was glad. Two forty minute train rides were more than enough to endure each day. Applebloom rounded the corner to see her house in all its glory. It was extremely run down, and how it was not condemned was beyond her knowledge. She had wanted to fix it up, but the cost was simply too much for such a rundown place.


Appleshine rushed ahead of her mother, collecting a stack of mail from the letterbox, almost toppling over backwards as she stood on her hind legs, trying desperately to reach the slot. Applebloom swung the front door open, her daughter rushing between her legs. She threw the mail onto an old table, quickly rushing upstairs and returning with a sheet of paper and a box of crayons before Applebloom had even made it into the living room. Applebloom slowly trotted into the kitchen as her daughter started to scribble on the paper happily. Opening the cupboards, there was a very apparent lack of food. The last few weeks had been tough on all her workers, even herself. Sighing, Applebloom took the only thing she could find, a can of beans, and as hungry as she was, she knew her daughter had to always come first.

Night came, and Applebloom shouted at the filly to eat her dinner, the filly running into the kitchen, tripping over the piece of paper she held in her mouth, getting it caught under her small hooves every few steps. Letting out a small giggle at the sight of her daughter’s adorableness, Applebloom smiled. Collecting the paper, she stapled it to their fridge with a magnet.

"I drew this for you, mommy." Appleshine cheerfully mentioned as she struggled to climb her seat. Applebloom gave her a boost up, turning back to examine her daughters handy work. A magnitude of swirls and colors existed, but no real picture was evident.

"Its...lovely, sweetheart." Applebloom choked as she smiled, trying her best to spare her daughters feelings.

"Mommy, where is your food?" The filly asked as she stuffed a bunch of the beans in her tiny mouth.

"I already ate while I was heating yours up, sweetheart." Applebloom lied. "I'll be in the living room if you need me." She trotted into the living room, collecting the mail the filly had left, sitting herself down in her favorite chair. sighing, Applebloom browsed the rather large pile of mail. Most of it was bills, last warnings from the power company etc, the usual stuff she received, but one letter caught her attention almost immediately. She recognized the postal stamp, It was from Ponyville. Dropping the other letters to the floor she immediately tore open the letter with her teeth, not caring about the envelope’s well being. Appleblooms eyes darted across the page as she examined the letter.

Dear Mrs. Applebloom

This Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the Ponyville Elementary class of one Cheerilee, and according to records, you attended this class. In honour of Cheerilee's teaching accomplishments, a reunion is to be held on the forthcoming Saturday. Food and Drink will be free of charge and we look forward to seeing you there.

Mr Whitegrin, Mayor of Ponyville.

As she held the letter against her chest memories of Ponyville filled her mind. She missed Ponyville, and she missed it a lot. Fate was always a fickle thing, and without the fight she had, none of her dreams would have even come into fruition. She loved, and missed Ponyville, but after the fight, she had been too ashamed to go back. The way Scootaloo had acted prevented that. Would they even bother with her now? She hadn't even told anypony that she was a mother, not even Applejack. Applebloom sighed as she flicked on the radio, trying to ease her mind as the night rolled on.


The night was drawing to a close as Applebloom tucked her sleepy daughter into bed, kissing her softly on the forehead.

"Mommy, can you sing me a bedtime song?" The filly asked, yawning as a grin crept on her face.

"I don't think I have any left, sweetheart. You've heard everything, I'm afraid."

"Nothing?" Appleshine asked, her body half climbing out of the bed in anticipation.

"Well...I may have one left." Applebloom whispered as she tucked the filly into bed for a second time. Applebloom cleared her throat as she started to hum, slowly singing the best she could as she tightened the filly’s sheets.

We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders

On a quest to find out who we are

And we will never stop the journey

Not until we have our cutie marks

"That was nice mommy, but who are the Cutie Mark Crusaders?" The filly asked, half asleep. Applebloom smiled faintly as more memories flooded into her head, desperately holding back the tears that were now forming.

"They were very good friends of mine, sweetheart, but I haven't heard from them in a very long time." Applebloom kissed Appleshine on her forehead a final time and exited the room, slowly closing the door. A final whisper came from the filly, partially woken by the squeaking door.

"Will I ever get my cutie mark, mommy? Nearly everyone in my class has one except me..." Applebloom paused at the question, a wave of nostalgia now washing over her. She turned her head to look back at the filly, ready to answer the question, but she was now completely asleep. Releasing a satisfied sigh, Applebloom trotted to her room, laying down for the night, falling asleep almost the instant her head hit the pillow, memories long forgotten now flowing into her dreams.
____________

"It’s not fair! It’s all my fault, It’s not fair!" Scootaloo cried, clinging onto the casket for dear life. Applebloom tried to grab the distraught mare, trying to pull her away from the funeral as tears started to form, Sweetiebelle looking onward from her seat in horror as dozens of upset ponies stared. Scootaloo’s grip was too tight, and it sent the mare backwards, with Scootaloo flying forward, knocking the casket to the ground, spilling its contents, and revealing a peacefully sleeping Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo reached outwards and hugged the deceased mare, the tears and sobs never ending as several of the funeral ponies stared in horror.

"Get her out of here"

"She should have some bucking respect"

Applebloom approached Scootaloo, placing a hoof on her shoulder as her upset friend gripped her hooves tighter, nodding for Sweetiebelle to help get her out of there and get the scene under control.

"Please, Scoots, you're making a scene" Sweetiebelle whispered.

"It’s all my fault she’s dead....my...bucking fault..." Scootaloo sobbed as Applebloom managed to get Scootaloo to release her grip, embracing her in a hug. As she walked Scootaloo away from the scene, several other ponies rushed over to fix the coffin, Sweetiebelle now singing a soft melody of hums to calm the crowd.

Applebloom whipped out a bottle of unbranded liquor from a box inside their old treehouse, handing it to Scootaloo she embraced her in a hug. While everyone was concerned for the drinking that Rainbow and Scootaloo had taken up, Applebloom knew it was for good fun, and allowed her friend to indulge every now and then, always hiding a secret stash for her. For several minutes all she could really do was sit there and watch the upset mare drink the entire bottled contents herself, Scootaloo seemingly staring into orbit as tears rolled down her face and onto the dusty floor of the old clubhouse.

"Soooo...." Applebloom murmured, unable to construct the correct response.

"So, what?" Scootaloo murmured, no longer crying. "Why do you care? Why does this whole damned town even care? It's....It's all my fault...I killed her....."

"I care, Scoots. I care. You bucking well know that. Nopony can tell you otherwise. You didn't kill her, Scootaloo. It was a accident, she gave her life to save yours. She caught you, she loved you Scoots."

"It’s a lie, Bloom. A filthy lie, and I can't live with myself any longer. I have to tell somepony. I killed her, Applebloom....I..."
____________

Applebloom’s eyes darted open, dawn staring her in the face through her window, beads of sweat pouring from her, mind racing and her breathing heavy. It had been quite awhile since she had that dream, and it was the last thing she needed. Waking up before the bad part, however, she was thankful for. Sighing, Applebloom staggered out of bed to go and get herself and her daughter ready for their day.

"Please, for the safety of my daughter, do not let anypony other than myself pick her up or even come near her. Is that clear?" Applebloom scowled, nose to nose with the school teacher.

"Of course, Miss Applebloom. See you at the usual time!" Said the teacher, beneath a flushed face.

"Bye mommy! I’ll miss you!" The filly shouted, Applebloom embracing her in a final hug for the day before trotting of towards her work. Unlike other days, there seemed to be a rather large crowd of ponies around the area, some even rudely pushing past Applebloom in a hurry. This area of the city wasn’t usually busy, and it hit her as very odd.

"Hey! Watch it---" Applebloom choked out as more and more of the areas ponies pushed past her, almost knocking her over. Grabbing one of the bystanders, he immediately stared at her in excitement and panic. "What’s happening?" Applebloom asked, unaware of the events taking place.

"Huge building fire, out of control. ponies are still trapped inside!" The stallion choked, unable to string a sentence together in the excitement. Applebloom let the stallion go in shock, realizing the direction they were all heading.

Accidents happen, Applebloom....accidents happen!


Applebloom’s pupils dilated in fear as she stared running towards her business, hoping her doubts were laid to rest. The scene created there proved otherwise, however. Several firefighter ponies were trying to tackle the out of control fire, support beams cracking from the heat, balls of fire escaping from every opening and window as glass exploded, trying to eat any oxygen that dared come near. It was happening, her dream was crashing and burning.

Putting the guilt behind her, Applebloom rushed forward, tearing the safety tape away as several police officials tried to stop her, but it was too late, she was inside the building. "Ma'am, it’s too dangerous, there are other ponies in there!"

"I know, they're my family!" The flames danced all around her while she kept her flank low, smoke covering most of the area, several support beams now collapsing, blocking her escape. Covering her mouth, she pressed onward, desperately using the last of the little air she had to call for anypony at the top of her lungs.

"Anypony! Is any-damn-pony in here?!" Applebloom shouted, a light cough being all the indication she needed to know it was coming from the garage. Without a second thought she bucked the door open, the force of the oxygen entering the empty room created a gust of flame that caught Appleblooms face, knocking her back and slightly burning her face. Slowly standing, Applebloom leaped past the dancing flames and into the garage, only narrowly avoiding a falling beam in the process. Looking around for the source of the cough she noticed none other than Flim and Flam. Flim was trapped under a beam while Flam was desperately trying to lift it of his brother, his strength all but sapped by the lack of oxygen.

"He...help me, Applebloom. I can't j...just leave him here!" Flam pleaded. Without a second thought, Applebloom looked around, trying to find something to help her lift the support beam, finally eying the company’s hookshot, a device that allowed them to lift heavy objects. Coughing ecstatically, Applebloom grabbed the hook, wrapping it around the beam.

"Flam, help me pull the other end!" Applebloom shouted as the drowsy stallion wobbled slowly over to Applebloom. The two hoisted the beam up, pulling the end of the chain with everything they had, giving just enough room for Flim to crawl out, moments before the entire device buckled under the stress of the raging inferno.

"Applebloom...we...have to find a...way out..." Flim weakly moaned as he was pulled to his hooves by Flam. "Perhaps...the garage door?". Applebloom pressed the button to roll the shutter upwards, nothing. The device had stopped working from the fire. "Now what?" Flam asked, eyeing Applebloom with a concerned glance.

"Let me think for a moment, dammit!" Applebloom shouted, the room almost devoid of any oxygen, the flames now dancing around everything flammable, creeping in from the main area. Think Applebloom, think....front entrance is gone....windows too small...the force on the shutter looks weak....thats it! "Stand back!" Applebloom shouted as she bucked the roller, the entire thing starting to buckle under her hooves. With a second buck, the whole thing disconnected, falling loosely to the ground, allowing an escape outside. Applebloom and the brothers exited the building, quickly surrounded by several ponies, coughing ecstatically as the three of them breathed in the fresh air. "I need to go back in there for Rumble. You two stay here and rest"

"But Applebloom, you might not be able to get back out, it could collapse at any moment!"

"I don't care, I won’t leave him behind!" Applebloom stated, rushing back inside. As she disappeared into the flames once more, an explosion erupted from the garage, collapsing most of the entry way, screams and shrieks of the crowd erupting as glass exploded outwards from the intensity of the heat.

Squinting her eyes, Applebloom slowly stood, barely making it past the garage as the whole thing exploded, propane bottles being the most obvious cause. Her face was now complete with grazing to go along with the burns from earlier, pushed by the force of the explosion, slowly sliding across the garage floor, coming to a eventual stop. The building was beyond any recognition of its former glory, support beams and other objects now collapsing and flaking away, the entire wall covered in flames, dancing angrily as they searched for any remaining oxygen. I have to find him...everything to me....he means everything to me! Using what little energy remained, Applebloom weakly called for Rumble, but it was useless. She was just too out of breath to manage more than a whisper, her body quickly collapsing again from the lack of oxygen. She watched as the flames danced around the roof, almost finished with their meal.

Eyes heavy, Applebloom slowly examined the damage, the smoke so thick she could hardly tell her location. I...I'm done for, finished...I can't move... The mare thought as she slowly crept into the only thing she could still see, trying to find any possible area away from the smoke, her office. Hoisting herself slowly onto her chair, Appleblooms hooves kicked something, her mind sliding in and out of consciousness.

Squinting to make out what was under her desk in the thick haze of smoke, there sat Rumble, out cold and grasping something tightly against his chest. Collapsing to the floor in an effort to reach her friend, Applebloom slowly crawled her way over to Rumble, nudging the stallion weakly with a hoof.

"Apple.....Applebloom?" The stallion mumbled, struggling to regain consciousness.

"Y...yeah champ, it’s me...we... have to get up....get out of here...."

Applebloom helped Rumble to his hooves, using his sturdy frame to balance herself. The smell of burning paper was all she could taste in the air. "Rumble....have you checked...the staff room yet? Every other way out...is out of the question."

Rumble, with his head flopping around in a dazed state, strung together a response. "It....it was fine when I came...here...why?"

"The windows in there....we have to break them....it’s our last hope." The two friends slowly made their way across the hall, struggling to keep their balance with each step. Opening the door, the flames had yet to enter the room, but were quickly trailing along the walls, creeping ever so closer with each second, the scent of oxygen calling them closer. With all of his remaining strength, Rumble grabbed one the staff room chairs, hurling it at the window, allowing them a chance at escape. The fire was quickly rushing inside the room, engulfing anything it touched in mere seconds.

The two staggered over towards the window, Applebloom clumsily hoisting Rumble through. The fire was now covering the floorboards where she stood, the heat making her sweat profusely, her skin starting to blister. Applebloom had ran out of time, she had used the last of her energy helping Rumble. Her mind was telling her to jump, but her body refused, every muscle in her body now giving up. Appleblooms eyes struggled to stay open, each blink showing the vision of a silhouette appearing in the flames, gaining distance with each blink. A ghostly voice echoed in Applebloom’s ears, the apparition now face to face with her, any detail still somehow covered in shadow.

"Hey....time to wake up...she needs you..."


That...that voice....


"Wake up, the squirt needs you. It’s not your time yet...."


"Wake....up..."

Applebloom could feel a wave of energy flush inside her, with the shadowy figure now backing away, vanishing into the flames as quick as it had appeared. There was no point in watching for the glass, she had to do it, had to dive out. Now was better than ever, the sudden burst of energy allowing her to stand. She took the leap of faith, flames biting her flank as she escaped their grasp, embracing the soft grass seconds before the last room of her business exploded with flames. She was safe, the apparition had saved her, but she couldn't believe it. She didn't care if it was the lack of oxygen or some divine force, Rainbow Dash had saved her.


Applebloom felt a gentle nudge as she struggled, taking in the air around her. Rumble was helping her to her hooves, having recovered long before Applebloom even had the chance.

"Applebloom....are you alright?" Rumble asked, staring at Appleblooms blank expression of shock and disappointment.

"It’s gone...."

"B..Bloom?" Rumble asked again, the mare seemingly zoning everything out. It then hit him, she was about to break down, and break down fast. Without a second thought, the stallion embraced his friend in a loving hug.

"It's all gone....everything...gone" Applebloom stuttered to say as she suddenly burst into tears, everything she had worked for most of her life gone in less than an hour. Rumble slowly stroked her back as Applebloom finally let out all the years of hurt and pain over the years, sobbing for several minutes before working up the courage to speak again.

"What do we do now? We put everything into the business, and it’s all gone....we have nothing left." Rumble released her friend from her hug as he handed her a scrunched up photo. Applebloom carefully flattened it, knowing too well what he had grabbed from her office now. It was still mostly in one piece, the picture she had kept for years, all her old friends, still there, her happy place saved.

"Rumble......I.....thank you. This meant everything to me......and I would have left it there." Applebloom gave the stallion a peck on the cheek, Rumble instantly blushing as several of the firefighter ponies trotted over.

"Ma'am, the blaze is under control, and thank your lucky stars you got out okay. We have measured the fire down to an electrical short."

"What!?" Applebloom spouted, pushing Rumble aside as she confronted the now cowering ponies.

"A....an electrical fire, ma'am."

"That’s damn near impossible. Not once has my work ever had something like this happen. I know who did it, it was that son of a stud Hard Cash!"

"That’s quite an accusation to make, Mrs. Applebloom. Hard Cash is a very important pony. Do you have any proof?"

"Well...not exactly. Rumble can back me up, however."

"It’s true. We have been getting threats and harassed for weeks."

"Threats are not a crime, Rumble, was it? You need actual proof before the authorities do anything! Listen, you have a daughter right, Applebloom? Go home and rest then collect her from the school. Let the authorities handle this, go and cool down and rest."

"You're right. I still need to talk to Hard Cash and his cronies, this can’t go on any longer. Rumble, the other workers will be here soon, can you handle them?"

"I...i’ll try Applebloom"

"Thanks. I need to sort some stuff out at home, tell everypony there is no point sticking around today."

"Remember, ma'am, do not do anything rash."

"Yak yak yak, I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid!"


"Hi mommy! Why are we leaving school so early? It's not even lunch time yet."

"There was an accident at work sweetheart, so we get to spend the day together. Just us!" Applebloom said as she embraced her daughter in a hug. She just couldn't tell Appleshine everything was gone, not yet. She needed to let some steam off, and spending time with her daughter would hopefully allow her to do that. The filly hugged her mother’s neck tightly as she rode on top of Applebloom, the two walking down the streets of Manehatten. Rain clouds were now covering most of the sky, with light drizzles of rain starting to gently splash the concrete under their hooves.

“psst”

Applebloom stopped suddenly, her eyes falling to the pony making the noise. "Mommy? Why have we stopped?"

"Hush, Appleshine." They were hidden in the shadow of a nearby alleyway, taking care not to step out into public. Applebloom cautiously trotted towards the alley as the mysterious pony gestured her forward. "Momma? I'm scar--"

"Quiet!” Appleboom implored her child. “Alright, you have my attention. Who are you, and what do you want?!" Applebloom shouted as the now visible stallion emerged from the darkness of his hiding place."Penscribe...haven't you caused enough trouble at the moment? If my daughter wasn't here, I would buck your teeth in!"

"Stubborn as always, Applebloom. I may be a cold hearted foal sometimes, but I had no idea Hard Cash would go to these lengths. Hard Cash wants to take everything away from you and keep you under lock and chain, a slave. Cash seemed very persistent upon finding out about the bits you took over the years."

"Did you forget what happened to Wings and Things? Or was the demolition of an entire Skyscraper and the destruction of my rival not enough for you!?" Applebloom said, forcefully.

"Nopony was inside when that was ordered. It was done at night, but this...is just cold hearted. Hard Cash did not even care that your colleagues came into work early every d---" Penscribe continued, and was sharply cut off. Applebloom grabbed Penscribe by the scruff of his neck, Appleshine almost falling off of her mother in the process.

"What you want to say, say it now, or Celestia help me!" said Applebloom, courage filling her.

"I..I came to help...just let me go, if you will?" Penscribe choked as Applebloom released her grip, the amount of her strength evident as the stallion toppled back a few feet as he struggled to regain his breath.

"Fine. Speak." Applebloom said flatly.

"I'll show you. Take these!" The elderly horse said excitedly as he withdrew three tickets from his saddlebag.

"Tickets?"

"Not just any type of ticket, but a free ride anywhere on Equestria’s railway system."

"Why only three? What about the rest of my workers?"

"These tickets cost myself over four months salary just to get them. Thats all I could grab. One for you, Appleshine there, and one for...." Penscribe paused, staring at the possibility of his freedom in his hoof, then to Applebloom and her daughter, and in that one moment, he had done something not for himself, or Hard Cash, but for another pony, and it felt nice. "Rumble." Penscribe whispered as he shoved the tickets onto Applebloom’s person. "Get your things packed quickly, get Rumble and get out of town for a few days. I will try and get a meeting with Hard Cash. We go way back, so that stubborn foal might listen to reason."

"Why not just come with me, confess to the authorities?"

"Hard Cash's pockets extend deeper than you know. That foal controls most of the authorities in Manehatten, you of all people should know that. You are damn good at your job, and Hard Cash will take anything away from you just to keep you on a short leash. There are divisions of the company not even I know the details about. Just leave the city for a few days, I know a few uncorrupted officers, I will explain your safety concerns to them."

"Perhaps other cities can he---"

"No! It's just too risky, now please hurry and get packed, take any train far away from here. I have to leave, or they will suspect something. I’ll try and talk to Hard Cash, like I said, but this is all I can do."

"Why are you doing this?" Applebloom asked, a quizzical look upon her features.

"I have my reasons" Penscribe said as he stared at Appleshine face to face, Applebloom nodding with approval before grabbing her daughter and trotting away, indicating she now knew the reason. The things Hard Cash must have done to Penscribe’s family over the years had to be the reason he was still working with the mysterious tycoon pony, even being somewhat of a dragon over the years. It all made sense now. Applebloom had to hurry and pack, but leaving her friends and co-workers behind would be difficult. What choice did she have? Her career was ruined, and she had to protect her daughter, no matter the cost.

"Appleshine. How would you like to go on a little vacation?"

"Vacation? We can't afford a vacation, mommy. Why do you really want to leave?"

"Nothing gets past you, does it Appleshine?" Applebloom whispered lovingly, telling her daughter the truth. "My work had a fire and some very bad ponies are after your old mother for some bits she owes. They don't want to hurt me, but they will hurt anypony I care about, including you, sweetheart. We need to leave for a few days while old Penscribe sorts this business out." Appleshine seemed unpleased with the current turn of events, but knew she had to accept it, just like her mother was.

"But where can we go, mommy?" Appleshine asked, a scared note in her voice. It never occurred to Applebloom, but she hadn't really thought of a place yet. There was, of course, only one place in all of Equestria that would remain uncorrupted from Hard Cash. No matter the cost of her pride, she had to go back there, for her daughter’s sake.

"We are going home sweetheart. We are going to Ponyville"


The station was unusually bare for this late in the afternoon, the only other company the pair had was the echoes, coughs and occasional hoofsteps. Rumble was late. More than half an hour had passed since he was meant to meet the two, the train starting to roll into the subway station.

"Mr. Rumble isn't coming, is he mommy?" Appleshine asked, worry in her voice.

"No…I guess not" Applebloom knew Rumble would have a hard time avoiding Hard Cash's cronies as he was on a tighter leash than she was, no thanks to his kind and shy nature. The stallion always let them boss him around. Sighing, Applebloom grabbed her packed suitcase as her daughter strapped on her worn out saddlebag. There was barely enough time to grab what they wanted, but they did manage to grab their most sentimental possessions. The two entered the train, the filly trotting ahead as Applebloom looked back towards the subway exit, hoping, praying to Celestia that Rumble made it okay.

“Wait...for…me!”

Applebloom’s ears shot upright, the yelling of a familiar voice growing louder each second. Applebloom looked behind her again, this time to be greeted by a sprinting stallion. Rumble had made it to the train, just as the doors to the carriage closed.

"You took your time!" Applebloom snorted as she tried to hide the smile that had crept on her face.

"Yeah....sorry....about...that Applebloom. Hard Cash's cronies were everywhere...." Rumble said, struggling to catch his breath as he laid his suitcase on the train floor.

"You made it, Mr. Rumble!" Appleshine happily said, trotting over to the stallion’s leg as she embraced it in a hug.

"Wouldn't miss this chance for the world." The stallion replied, the trio making their way over to several seats. The train was eerily quiet, no other ponies were on board, which was extremely odd for such a large city. Applebloom couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. It was going to be a long train ride back to Ponyville and Applebloom was exhausted. Applebloom tilted her hat over her eyes as she laid on her back, using Rumble as a pillow, the mare drifted off to sleep.

____________

"Why would you want to do this, Scootaloo? Do we mean nothing to you anymore?" Applebloom sobbed, sitting by herself In the Cutie Mark Crusaders tree house as Scootaloo turned her back to her friend, trotting outside.”

"It's not that, Applebloom. It’s just that..."

"Rainbow Dash is that important to you, huh? What exactly happened the other night?"

"I have to keep away from any distractions if I ever want to train for the Wonderbolts, and that includes keeping my distance from the Crusaders. Playing find the cutie mark was fun when we were kids, but if I ever want to see Rainbow again, I have to focus on training. You and Sweetiebelle already have your cutie marks, and I'm sure If I train to be as fast as Rainbow, I'll get mine."

"But what if that’s not your special talent?"

"Applebloom, I have so many things in common with her. We are like kindred spirits. We like the same things and we act the same. More than one pony can be good at the same thing, you know."

"Are you sure this is what you want? You have been going through a lot recently, and all these mixed emotions..." Scootaloo stopped, pausing at the doorway to the clubhouse, thinking about her actions. No matter how many times she added the possibilities in her head, they always lead to the same conclusion. This was her destiny, this is what she wanted. Scootaloo trotted up to Applebloom, staring at her for several seconds before embracing her in a hug, both mares now weeping softly.

"I have never been more certain in my life, Applebloom. When she gets back from Canterlot, give Sweetiebelle a good bye hug for me."

"I'll miss you, Scootaloo"

"I’ll be back before you know it"

____________

"Applebloom!!!" Rumble shouted as the mare woke up, rubbing her eyes from the sleep. Darkness now filled outside the train, Applebloom must have been asleep for hours.

"Applebloom, get up!" Rumble shouted again. Springing to her hooves, Applebloom noticed her daughter and Rumble inching backwards, two of Hard Cash's Business ponies quickly advancing.

"How did you find us?!" Applebloom stated as she joined the other two, shielding her daughter from their jolting bodies, constantly trying to grab the filly with each passing moment.

"It wasn't hard since Penscribe talked quite easily. A pony will do anything with their wife or young filly held hostage...and a broken leg. You belong to Hard Cash, and with nopony here, we can rough you up a bit...payback for that buck you gave us!"

"You bastards!" Applebloom couldn't believe it. Of all the ponies under Hard Cash's orders, it just had to be those two. The three were now backed against the carriage compartment, the two business ponies closing in fast, withdrawing and attaching hoof dusters from their suits. She had been hit by them in the past and knew they could break anypony’s jaw easily. This time, they meant business.

"Mommy, what do we do?" The filly croaked as she hugged the back of Rumbles leg tightly. Applebloom’s mind was racing. Think Applebloom, think. We could fight them, but they are most likely trained, they could easily stomp us. Rumble has the power, but not the initiative…. The moons light beamed into the train as it exited the tunnel, Ponyville clear from the mountain pass it was riding over. And then, a spark of genius. I know these mountains, too soft for any serious injury...that’s it! She realized. A smile crept across her muzzle.

"We jump."

"Applebloom?"

"I know this area well. We jump!"

"Applebloom...are you a…a few apples short of an Apple Tree?” Rumble said, incredulous. “There...there has to be another way!"

"Just grab the luggage and jump!" Applebloom shouted as the train door sprung open.

"Do not let them get into Celestia’s territory you foal!" The first stallion charged forward, Applebloom quickly bucking him backwards, once again knocking the two to the ground.

"It's now or never! Take Appleshine and tuck and roll!"

"This is crazy, Applebloom!"

"Mommy, I'm scared!"

"Do it!" Rumble grabbed the filly and leapt out of the train, tumbling down the grassy hillside, hugging the filly as their luggage sprawled across the mountain. "Love to stay boys, but I have a Reunion to attend!" Applebloom said jokingly as she dived out of the train, hitting the door close button on her way out just as the train vanished into another tunnel. The two business ponies were indeed in Celestia’s region now. The escapees were safe. Applebloom came to a safe stop as she rolled down the hill, her face buried in the tall grass.


"Mommy! Mr. Rumble’s hurt!" The filly squeaked, nudging her shoulder with a hoof. Applebloom rose to her hooves, shaken, but was glad nothing was damaged or broken. She quickly made her way over to Rumble, relieved when she saw he was alright.

"It’s okay... just a sprained hoof."

"Can you walk?" Applebloom asked, helping Rumble to his hooves.

"Yeah...it’s not too bad." The two started picking up their luggage, the filly quickly grabbing Applebloom’s hat as she struggled to bring it to her.

"Thank you, sweetheart." It had been well over 15 years since she was last here, the feeling of nostalgia all too familiar. The air was cleaner; the nights were calmer, very country like. Applebloom knew she missed Ponyville and its simplified lifestyle, but just how much of it she had failed to remember.

"Shall we?" Rumble asked, handing Applebloom her suitcase, the two friends staring down the mountain at the town, glowing in the night of the moon.

"Will they even want me back after everything that happened?"

"I'm sure they will. They will be delighted to see you after so long."

"What if my sister is dead? What if everypony I knew hates me? It’s been so many years. I don't want to put them in dan---" Rumble leaned forward, touching his muzzle against Applebloom’s, gently sharing a kiss as Appleshine giggled at the sight.

"Rumble...."

"I'll make sure nothing bad happens to you, I promise." Applebloom smiled, returning the affection back to Rumble after several seconds of silence.

"Is that where we're going, mommy?" The little filly interrupted as she took in the sights of Ponyville for the first time. All Applebloom could do was smile. She was back, and even if everypony hated her, she now had Rumble. Sighing a final sigh as the three started to trot down the mountain, Applebloom spoke the final words of the night.

"Yes, Appleshine. We're going home."


Authors Note: Thanks to a massive flu i have had a giant fever for around a week, only now getting a chance to finish this. I wanted to try and involve others with this, just to experiment with different proof readers styles. For this chapter, a massive thank you goes out to SouthpawFighter614 who was so quick with the edits, I barely had enough time to do my daily ritual of web browsing before they finished. Incredibly fast and well done work.