• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 473 Views, 9 Comments

Castle in the clouds - ovineConventionalist



A long winded shippy story about being trapped in fog.

  • ...
5
 9
 473

Chapter four- Peeping tomboy

Fluttershy took a deep breath, and stepped into the stifling warmth of Sugarcube Corner. She hunched over, she didn’t want anypony to notice she was upset. She took extra care to avoid looking at any ponies seated around the shop. She didn’t even notice Applejack loading some of her famous apple fritters into the display cabinet on the side of the room.

The orange pony waved to Fluttershy and was unabashed when the gesture went unnoticed. AJ isn’t the sort of pony to become embarrassed by something so trivial. Applejack watched ‘Shy covertly whisper something into the cashier’s ear. Pinkie Pie motioned upstairs and Fluttershy followed. Something was out of place. Fluttershy appeared troubled.

Concerned, AJ followed the two upstairs, but stopped in her tracks when she heard muffled sobs from the other side of Pinkie’s door.

“I…I just feel so awful!”

“Shh, tell auntie Pinkie Pie all about it!”

Consumed with curiosity, AJ shamefully peered through the keyhole.

****

Inside Pinkie’s bedroom, Fluttershy stood with her face buried in the back of her friend’s neck, Pinkies hooves wrapped around her. It was by no means the first time somepony had mistaken her kind, pleasant nature for something more than friendship. She could remember one stallion who had once accused her of being a tease. The memory made her blood boil. But Rainbow Dash wouldn’t do something like that… but that only made her feel worse! Fluttershy lifted her head and dried her eyes. She felt guilty for lashing out. Compassion really is a curse.

But Pinkie Pie had a calming effect on her. She could cheer her up, subside her fears just with laughter. Fluttershy didn’t like to have favourites, but she did consider Pinkie to be her very best friend.

“It’s Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy said at last.

Pinkie let go of Fluttershy so she could look her in the eye. “Oh no! Is she okay?”

“Yes she’s fine it’s just… well, last night she came to my house and… well she asked me… she asked if I wanted to be her marefriend but…”

The rest of what Fluttershy was saying was lost to Pinkie. Her voice sounded faint, as if it were coming from a very long way away. She felt as if her friend had slapped her. Her heart hammered in her stomach. Her ears rang. Her ribcage felt as if it had grown spikes. She could taste metal, but she couldn’t remember mistaking any bits for chocolate coins recently… But Pinkie tried to be comforting as she listened to Fluttershy, even if she wanted nothing more than to hide under her covers until the sudden ache went away.

****

Applejack tore her face from the keyhole, cursing herself for being so invasive. She swiftly made her way outdoors. The obvious course of action was to go and find Rainbow Dash: suffering a rejection is never easy, and it was obvious that Dash had indeed been rejected.

Applejack is a very shrewd pony. She perhaps isn’t quite as astute as Rarity, but we must give her credit where credit is due. It was clear to Applejack that Fluttershy liked stallions, even if she was too timid to admit to an interest in anypony.

As she made her way to Rainbow’s cloud house, Applejack decided to continue her rumination on her friends. She wasn’t usually so intrusive; although she would occasionally find herself becoming absorbed in harmless gossip during lunches with Rarity.

And sometimes ah find myself peerin’ through somepony’s keyhole she reminded herself.

In fer a penny, in fer a pound. She decided.

Twilight liked stallions, but she liked spending time with her books more.

And why not? Aint nopony worse off fer bein’ single. ’Course Rare would disagree.

Rarity liked Romance. AJ wished she didn’t. Rarity aspired to have some posh, hoity toity Stallion sweep her off her hooves one day. But Rarity was so much more than that: she was a business woman, a role model, a sister, a friend, an artist. Applejack wished Rarity saw what she could see.

Pinkie Pie was a free spirit. If she was interested in somepony, AJ doubted gender would be of any concern. She was so full-on with everypony, it would be really difficult to tell if someone were special.

AJ herself, well, she wasn’t invested in the pursuit of romance at all. Her whole life was her family’s apple farm and that was that.

She arrived just below Rainbows cloud house just in time, before she could depress herself by dwelling on the sense of limitation that reflecting on the fate of her farm was giving her lately.

She wondered what would be the best way to greet her friend at that moment.

‘Hey RD, ah just had an inkling you might be upset about summat.’ She could say.

But that would be a lie. And a silly one at that.

“AJ?” Dash appeared behind her, apparently on her way home from somewhere.

“Oh, howdy Rainbow Dash! Uh, ah was just wond’rin’ if you wanna do somethin’?”