• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 3,195 Views, 14 Comments

Spike's Past - pokefreak13



Spike takes a trip through the Everfree forest in search of gems. However, when he goes into a cave, flash backs of his past is revealed to him.

  • ...
10
 14
 3,195

Into the Everfree

Spike was skipping down the cobblestone road. He was caring a basket in one claw, and a stick in the other. A gust of warm wind blew against his scales, making him smile in delight.

As Spike past Applejack's apple stand, the earth pony looked up from her bits. "Hay Spike! What are ya doing?" She asked.

The baby dragon turned his gaze towards Applejack and walked up to her stand.

"I'm going gem hunting in the Everfree Forest. Rarity said that she's been getting a lot of vibes whenever she walks past it. So, there must be a munch of gems lying around in that forest." Spike explained.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Just be safe sugar cube. The Everfree isn't the safest place around." The country mare warned.

Spike nodded, puffed up his chest, and began to walk away.

As the dragon headed towards the forest, Applejack sighed and put all her bits into her saddle bag.

"Ah better tell Twi about this." She muttered under her breath.


Spike stopped at the boarder of the Everfree Forest. The sun was already beginning to set, making eerie shadows dance across the boarder.

The baby dragon took a deep breath and began to walk slowly into the forest. The trees' twisted branches and spiky leaves blocking out what was left of the sun's light.

Once he was in the deepest part of the forest, Spike held his stick in front of his mouth and took a deep breath. When he blew out, bright green flames came out and clung onto the now burning stick.

"Much better." Spike smiled.

Then he began to scan the forest floor. Leaves and twigs littered the damp floor. Spike was about to give up searching when suddenly, he saw a hunk of something green poking out of the ground. As he got nearer to it, the dragon squealed in delight.

"An Emerald!" The baby dragon announced, he set down his basket and grasped the emerald. It was the size of an apple and was in the shape of a star.

"Twilight would defiantly like you." Spike mused, then he set the treasure gently into the basket.

As Spike picked up the basket, he heard a deafening roar.

The dragon's pupils shrank. "That sounds like a.." He turned around slowly and nearly had a heart attack. "T..t..timber wolf." He squeaked.

The timber wolf was easily five feet tall. His green eyes cast a ghostly glow. It howled again, displaying it's row of dagger like teeth.

"N-nice timber wolf." Spike said, sweat started to form on his forehead.

Suddenly, the creature leapt towards the baby dragon, however Spike rolled out of the way just in time. The beast roared in frustration and began to run towards Spike. The baby dragon took in a deep breath and bellowed green fire at the flammable beast.

"RROOARR!" The timber wolf hollered as his body began to be consumed by the dragon's flames.

Spike sighed in relief and began to trot deeper into the Everfree Forest.


After about three hours of searching for gems, Spike successfully collected three emeralds, two rubies, and one sapphire. Now the little dragon was carefully walking on a narrow path. It was six feet wide covered in slippery mud. On the right side was a maze of oak trees, while on the left lead to a ten foot drop off. One false move, and he was a goner.

"I'll just search for one more hour, than I'll head back." Spike whispered under his breath. After three close calls with some timber wolves, he decided to just whisper and to walk very quietly.

As Spike walked alone the narrow path, his eyes began to wonder around the forest. He could see some smoke in the distance and saw a small herd of deer eating the long, soggy grass at the bottom. However, he wasn't the only one sightseeing.

The baby dragon stopped and gazed up into the sky. Two eagles were soaring across the night sky lazily. Spike smiled and sat down on the ground. Memorized by the powerful birds of prey.

Suddenly, Spike heard a low growl followed by a thump. The baby dragon stood up and turned in the direction of the sound. What he say made the color from his scales drain away.

The manticore let out a bloodcurdling roar and raised one of it's paws. Ready to strike.

"C-can't we just talk about this like civilized creatures?" Spike begged.

The beast licked it's lips and struck Spike with it's raised claw.

The baby dragon quickly fell to the muddy ground. His head being missed just by a scale.

Think Spike, think! The dragon yelled at himself.

As the manticore reared up for another attack, Spike heard another thud from behind. He looked over his shoulder and gasped in horror. For, there stood another manticore.

Spike gazed at the drop off below. He could risk jumping off this cliff, or engage in a battle with two manticores.

"Here goes nothing." The purple dragon muttered under his breath.

Then the dragon clutched his basket, burning stick, and ran towards the drop off as fast as he could.


The two manticores charged at Spike in both directions, however the baby dragon was quicker. He ran up to the edge and jumped off the edge. Spike could hear a crash and guessed that it might've belonged to the two beasts.

Because of the wind whipping past him as he was free falling, Spike's homemade torch went out cold. The baby dragon was about to relight it, however he fell into a big pile of leaves before he had the chance.

Author's Note:

I decided to redo this story. I hope you like this new version.