• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 2,324 Views, 35 Comments

She doesn't need me. - Slick Dash



The winning story of my first competition! A short story about the events after Rainbow leaves town!

  • ...
0
 35
 2,324

She's the freak with no family!

“H-Hey Scootaloo, look what Sweetie Belle brought!” Apple Bloom nudged the blue scooter towards her friend; it was so quiet you could even hear the wheels squeak slightly as it moved across the cold ground. When Scootaloo didn’t look up, Apple Bloom bit her lip in worry. Should Sweetie and her leave her alone? Should they go get somepony? Who? One of their sisters perhaps, or Mrs. Cheerilee?

While the two friends stood apart from their miserable friend and tried to think of a plan, the scooter continued to roll forward. Squeak, squeak, squeak. It picked a slight amount of speed as it built momentum as it moved down the small incline. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle continued to converse in low whispers, they couldn’t hear the wheels over their convocation.

Scootaloo could hear it though. That constant squeaking. She turned her head for the first time, just to see the small scooter plough straight into the centre of her vision, and unfortunately also into her face. It hadn’t been moving that fast, and with no real weight behind its movement it simply stopped when it connected with Scootaloo’s muzzle. It didn’t hurt, but it made a loud enough noise for her two friends to stop whispering and look around for the source of the strange noise.

When they saw Scootaloo slumped on the floor with her own scooter leaning against her annoyed looking face, the two stifled cries of laughter. Sweetie Belle resorted to stuffing her hooves into her mouth yet again, and Apple Bloom clamped down on the edge of her hoof with her teeth to stop the giggles from escaping.

Suddenly and viciously, Scootaloo swiped at the scooter with her foreleg and sent it flying away through the air. That put a stop to the girl’s giggles. Scoot finally stood. She looked back at her two friends and snapped angrily at them. “Enjoying the show?!” The two fillies eyes grew wide with surprise, Scootaloo took a step towards them. Yet again her wings ruffled, but still didn’t unfurl. Every muscle in her body felt taught with frustration, more to herself than her friends but she still let them have the full front of her anger. “Oh let’s all laugh at Scootaloo, she’s the big chicken, she just got hit in the face with her own stupid scooter, she’s the FREAK with no family! Let’s all just point and laugh!” When she had finished it seemed as though all the muscles in her body snapped, she grew limp and her legs seemed to turn to jelly.

Apple Bloom stuttered in shock, her big gamboge coloured eyes were wide and sparkling at her friends reaction. “Sc-Scoot...We didn’ mean it like that. We just though’ it was funny is all.” The feeling began to come back to Scootaloo’s legs again. She stood firm looked her bow wearing friend in the face and stared her down. After a moment Apple Bloom looked away, unable to keep eye contact.

“Pfft, Whatever!” Snorted Scootaloo angrily, she turned and trotted away, back towards town without a second glance. Apple Bloom watched as her friend moved away. Suddenly she was filled with new found confidence, it seemed to fill her up with warmth and hope.
“Hey! Scootaloo! Wait up! C’mon Sweetie Belle!” She began to pursue her orange friend, who seemed to speed up as she heard Apple Bloom’s words.

Sweetie didn’t quite answer in words per say. More like a muffled “Mfffmriffle merfiffibler” Caught completely surprised by the strange noises, Apple Bloom looked away from the fast escaping Scootaloo to investigate. Sweetie Belle was lying on her side tugging at her two forehooves which had subsequently gotten stuck in her mouth after stuffing them so far down to stop her laughter. With a sigh of exasperation Apple Bloom ran over to her nearly choking friend and also tugged at the little limbs lodged in the clumsy filly’s mouth.

Apple Bloom glanced over her shoulder just to see Scoot’s tale whip around the corner of the houses. The confidence that had brimmed up inside the little country pony only seconds before seemed to evaporate into the air. “Scoots...” She whimpered dejectedly. Scoot was hurting, badly!