• Published 19th Mar 2014
  • 1,047 Views, 27 Comments

A Landing Most Wibbly Wobbly - Baffles



When a young stewardess awakens after a tragic crash and TARDIS malfunctions leaving the Doctor and the Stewardess stranded in a jungle with only their wits, courage and sass to survive the inhospitable jungle together.

  • ...
5
 27
 1,047

In the Air

It was a calm night in Cloudsdale International airport. Ponies shuffled and waited for their planes. Going through security points, and typical travel jitters, they passed into their terminals waiting for their flights. Pegasi, earth ponies and unicorns alike, waited in the cloudy terminal.
While the building was made of clouds, it was solid for all species of ponies, thanks to the unicorns that patrolled its floors, making sure there were no weaknesses in the structure. In the lounges, at their respective gates, ponies talked and made loud chattering buzzes that filled the area. Not a single part of the airport was quiet.

A jolly air filled it, a seasonal joy that would only be caused by a special holiday, Hearth's Warming Eve. Ponies travelled with gifts, obviously for loved ones. Some ponies carried more than one, and that exceptional five or more gifts were seen occasionally. The jolly atmosphere was intoxicating, making a normally frustrating adventure a little less unbearable. The smell of holiday themed foods wafted through, tempting passengers to stop by and have carrot cake, fruitcake, candy cane. All of which was intoxicating ponies to purchase last minute food items before boarding their flights.
“Passengers for Pegasus Air flight 375 bound for Saddle Arabia, we are beginning our boarding with first class. Rows one through ten, thank you,” the PDA announcement sounded.

Upper class ponies, mares, stallions, and even foals stood. They began forming a line. A few grumbles from the coach members meant that boarding would be a little slow tonight.
As for ponies that had their tickets scanned, they entered the walkway, and eventually boarded onto the aircraft. As they did so, a spry, young mare greeted the passengers.
“Welcome, may I see your boarding pass?”
She looked the tickets over, and pointed each passenger to their respective seats.
“Thank you, have a wonderful flight!”
Her delft blue mane accented her silvery coat. Along with her burnt golden stripes, she stood out amongst the crowd. She was in her purser uniform; a clean-cut, sharp looking tunic and scarf around her neck; both navy blue, with golden stripes on the shoulder and the scarf golden.
“Welcome to Pegasus Air, please enjoy the flight.”
She made sure everything was in their proper place. As the last passenger boarded, she turned made a call to the jet bridge, “We’re all set, I’m locking the door now.”
With the all clear given from the cabin, she started to turn the door around, locked it into position, and turned the large knob to secure the door from any chance of it blowing off, or opening at any point unless opened by either the purser, or another member of the flight crew.

“Welcome to Pegasus Air flight 375, en route to Saddle Arabia. This is your captain, Blue Star, and my first officer Twilight Skies. Our flight time today will be…”
There was a pause.
“Six hours and forty minutes. It looks like our take off will be a little bumpy, but nothing major. Our cruising altitude will be 35,000 hooves today.”
The purser walked down the aisles, making sure all the ponies had their seat belts on.
“Excuse me, could you please fasten your seat belt? Thank you,” She smiled as she past.
Once the cabin had been checked. She moved up to the cockpit door.
Knocking gently, she opened the door, “Everything’s in place Blue. We’re ready to go when you are.”
She said this as she smiled. The pilot turned around smiling back.
“Thanks Air Fair.” Blue Star said, “Nice to know we've got you covering our flanks in there.”
The next moment he grinned, “You better get buckled up, we’re starting to taxi.”
“You got it!”
Air Fair closed the door, locked it, and then took her seat. With the key around her neck, she buckled herself in, and waited as they taxied to the runway.
“Mares and Gentlecolts, we’re about to start our take-off roll. Please direct your attention to the screens in your seats for a safety message. Have a great flight; we’ll give you an update after we reached our cruising altitude. Until then, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the view.”
Within minutes the aircraft was in position and ready to make its take off. With a roar of the engines, the machine started to increase speed. Air Fair looked down the aisles watching with excitement at the passengers. Most of the ponies that were spectators today were calm, though some seem excited. Most likely the excitement was more from the first time flyers as they revel in the new experience.
This was truly Air’s calling. Even her cutie mark held an aircraft marking. This was the job that she woke up every day to go to. Working overtime, late hours, weekends. Her heart raced in joy, excitement every time they took off and landed. The nose of the aircraft started to turn up as they reached the maximum velocity to take off. The wings caught the air, gliding up and slicing into the sky. Air’s stomach went to her hooves but she loved the feeling.
After a few moments, The plane levelled off, and began to raise in short step motions. Each time another stomach to hooves motion, gave Air flutters, as it always did. It was at this moment, a new announcement was made on the passenger intercom.
“Mares and Gentlecolts. We’re levelling off, nearing our cruising altitude. Our in-flight service will begin momentarily.”
Blue Star’s voice was calm, assured and friendly. At the end of the message, Air Fair got up, and started getting the preparations for the in-flight service. She was not the only stewardess on the flight. In fact, there were three others.
“Air, mind if we help?”
It was a pony Air knew as Snow Feather. Friendly and liked by all, she was a Pegasus whose bubbly personality made her a great stewardess.
“Of course Snow, here, hand me the cups.”
Air started to get refreshments, sorting them, arranging them.
“Is the food almost ready?” Air asked while sorting.
“Yes, nearly. Give it another twenty minutes,” was Snow’s reply.
“Excellent. Thank you.”
Air smiled, manoeuvring the trolley, and began to go down the aisle to serve the refreshments.
“What can I get you to drink?”
This repeated as she went along, giving ponies their preferred choice in drinks.
Half an hour later, when every-pony had been served, Air returned to her seat. Unbuckled, but still seated, she started to read a paper until the food was ready to be served.
It wasn’t long until a slight scent of poached hay wafted through the cabin, signalling that the food was ready. She got up from her seat, went back to the back of the plane again, and brought the food tray out. Giving each passenger his or her respective meal, she took it upon herself to make sure everyone was happy and well fed.
She also made sure to give the little foals and fillies toys, keeping them occupied while their parents did what they needed to do: work, study, write. Whatever it was, Air knew how the children loved to bother their parents during flights. Why wouldn't they? There was no room to play, run or cause trouble.
Air smiled, thinking of this, as she offered a pretty young filly a colouring book with some crayons, “Here you go, little one, would you like to draw?”
“Yes please, ma’am,” was the enthusiastic reply!

Kneeling down to look at the filly at eye level, Air composed herself and began to strike conversation.
“What’s your name?”
“Chocolate Chip.”
“That’s a beautiful name, Chocolate Chip. So, is this your first time flying?”
“Yes,” said the young filly, albeit a shy, hesitant response.
“Are you afraid?”
Air asked this as she tilted her head, curiosity plain on her face. All the while she comforted Chocolate Chip, “There’s no reason to be, flying is the safest way to travel.”
Covering her hoof, she whispered in the filly’s ear, “I heard there was a Pegasus who kept crashing into other Pegasi while she was flying.”
After saying this, Air smiled, and gave Chocolate Chip a little pat.
“Don’t worry Chocolate. I’m here, and as long as I have a say, nothing bad will hap---”
Suddenly, there was a horrible sound of ripping metal. The engines began to scream revving to their maximum power. Air was thrown against the walls of the cabin as the aircraft lurched right. A misty haze filled the inside, as a hole was ripped in the fuselage. Screams filled the cabin, uncontrolled unadulterated pandemonium.
“Stay in your seats!” Air screamed, over the howl of the air rushing.

Struggling to get to the floor, and get to her seat, she crawled along the wall, inching closer to the seat. After what seemed like a lifetime, she made it back to her seat, strapping herself in. She took the phone off the hold. Screaming into it, she tried to contact with Blue Star, in hopes to make light of the dire situation.
“CAPTIN! WHAT HAPPENED!?”
There was no response. Unbuckling herself, and fumbling with the key, she opened the door, to find nothing but night sky. The cockpit was gone; nothing left remained. It was now anyone’s guess to know how long they had. Taking a gulp, Air turned to the passengers who now relied on her.
“MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE PLANE!” She screamed over the howl of wind, making hoof gestures too if ponies hadn’t heard.
The reaction was instant. Ponies climbed head over hoof, scrambling to the back of the craft; fighting the gravity they were feeling. Like them, Air struggled to the back. At this moment, every-pony began in any available seat. It didn’t matter anymore, as long as it would ensure chances to survive...
There was a stomach lurching crash. Then the craft flipped over and over, up and down, rocking them like stones in a tumbler. When it finally stopped, everything was silent, deathly silent; not even a whisper could cry out.
As these hallowing moments passed, Air opened her eyes. She slowly started to look around.
‘Am I dead?’
She thought this as she lifted her head. She began twisting her head left and right; no real pain. She was relieved her neck wasn't broken, but what she thought, didn't help...
The front of the craft was missing, and, looking behind her, so was the back.
A section of ten or more rows were all that was visible of the craft she had just been on. Unbuckling herself, she fell to the left. The plane had been at an angle and she fell. This time, she was knocked unconscious, perhaps from shock.
She lay there; the only motion was her chest, falling and rising softly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A light, coffee brown stallion emerged from a blue box. Rubbing his head, he began to turn back to the blue box, assumingly talking to it.
“Ol’ gal, what got into you? Never mind, you’ll have to jus--- Oi!”
He was suddenly shut out of the blue box, as it’s doors swung closed. A click was heard as it locked itself.
“Oi! Open up Ol’ gal! Let me back!” He cried banging on the doors.

After a moment, he shifted. Smoothing down his dark brown mane.
“Never mind then, you’ll just have to have your tantrum wou---”
He was interrupted as he saw smoke and orange glow, rising from the treeline near by.
“Oh dear...”
He adjusted his green tie, and ran towards the source of smoke, finding bits of an aircraft, large sections strewn around the area. Smaller sections, of the plane hanged from broken branches with torn bits in tatters, caught in the small branches. Paper, metal, luggage, everything seemed to be on fire. The smell of burning materials and even ponies met his nostrils. Recoiling, he covered his nose with a hoof.

The craft seemed to be in three major sections. The tail, to his right, was an inferno. Closer to him, however, was where the nose should have been. Instead there were only a few rows. Then the smallest piece, ten rows, likely no more than that, stood almost intact. It was damaged, of course, but on the bright side, it wasn't on fire...
He started to call, “Hello! Are there any survivors! Hello!”
Only his voice returned, an echo. The only sound heard was the roar of the fire.
“Oh no. This is terrible..”
His ears went back. He didn't know what to do. Then, it hit him.
“Of course!”
He could have face hoofed. Pulling out a pen like object, he began pointing it. A high-pitched sound filled the area, a buzzing, and then, a fluctuation. He began following the signal. Over rubble, through jet fuel yet to ignite, he treaded carefully over the bodies. Trying hard not to look at them, he was brought near another body.

“Blasted Sonic! Can’t you tell the difference between the dead and living?” He asked, with a dark scoff.

He shook it, and then scanned the white mare covered in soot and blood. Cocking an eyebrow, he decided to trust the device. Lowering himself to her, he listened for a heartbeat. To his surprise, there was, in fact, a faint flutter. Lifting himself up, he looked at her.
“You are one lucky mare...”
After a slight struggle getting her onto his back, he dragged her body away from the site, looking for a safer place. As long as there was fuel, nothing in the area was safe.
Finding a dark spot, he lowered her off of him. Taking a closer look at her, he didn't see any major or fatal injuries. No broken bones, maybe a badly twisted ankle, but nothing fatal (which was remarkable). She did have a cut ear, which had been bleeding, but was already clotting, slowing the amount of blood being let out.
She was, however, covered in jet fuel, and she was in tattered remains of a uniform; that had to be fixed. Blushing at the thought of removing them, he slapped himself.
“You old fool! Ponies are already naked, not having clothes means nothing. You’re becoming an old git...”
Gulping, he removed the soaked remains of her clothes. If she survived, and they got out of here, he promised he’d get her any clothes she wanted. Throughout the night, he was a pack mule, coming back to her, with water to wash her coat. Each time he would rub her coat down, and wash her.
But she was so out of it, she didn't move, or react; for which he was thankful. It was embarrassing enough that he didn't need this mare to feel uncomfortable by this either.
It was early dawn when he finally was satisfied with his job. She was now pearly white, nearly sparkling. He smiled sitting near her, watching his surroundings. He had to admit, this wasn't the worse place to be; plenty of shade, warm climate, abundant food.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Groaning, Air shifted, eyes fluttering open; slowly and unwillingly flickering up. As the surroundings focused she saw a brown stallion over her. Was this heaven? Or was it Limbo?
“Wh... What happened?”
Her voice was raw, as was her throat. Her mouth tasted horrible. The stallion noticed her moving, and smiled.
“Oh. You were in a plane crash, you were lucky. Seems you were the only survivor.”
His voice was different, not like any accent she had heard before; it was foreign; maybe Trottingham? But he was quite chipper...
“Where did you come from? Weren't you on the flight?”
She asked, slowly moving her body, to where she was sitting with her belly on the ground.
“Oh no, I came here by chance, my... Transportation seemed to have malfunctioned.”
He smiled rubbing his mane.
“So who are you?”
She asked, with a raised eyebrow. This was a little strange. How did this stallion get here? He didn't have any signs of injury. Maybe he had been in the crash and was having amnesia? Or maybe he was insane.
“Oh! How rude of me. I’m the Doctor! Who are you?”

Author's Note:

This is the first chapter. I want to test the waters on this. I know I'm not the best writer, but for anyone who does read it, I hope you enjoy it. I spent a lot of time to think of this, and actually most of the day starting it. Since the start is always the hardest to write.
Anyways. I hope you all like it, and if you can give me any critiques that would be wonderful.
Enjoy!