• Published 21st Mar 2014
  • 1,310 Views, 18 Comments

The Trick to Rock Farming - Silent Strider



Trixie is down on her luck and needs bits, but she can't find work... except on a rock farm. Now she must work with the most expressionless pony she ever met if she wants to save enough bits to get back on the road.

  • ...
0
 18
 1,310

The Gray City

Trixie looked around, her head sagging. This was the dullest village she had ever seen; everywhere she looked it was the same dull gray and muted brown, the same identical stone facades, the same lack of decoration or color.

The ponies were just as dull. In other villages the ponies at least came to her shows, even if just to poke fun at her; in this one nopony even showed. She let her haunches fall to the ground, groaning. Do ponies here even know what fun is? How is a showmare supposed to earn a living in this village?

Just laying there was alluring. Why even bother trying? Everywhere she went Trixie was ridiculed, seen as just a joke, a fake. Even her stage name, “The Great and Powerful Trixie”, was tainted; if it was mentioned by anypony at all it was to a chorus guffaws, of ponies snickering, like a cruel soundtrack meant to crush the performer.

Tempting as just staying down was, her stomach spoke louder than her head. Trixie scanned around; no ponies close enough to have heard. She felt her neck relax even as she stood on her wobbling hooves; the last thing she needed was to be taken for a vagrant.

First things first, then. Food. She was out of bits, but perhaps somepony would be generous with her…

No. Her head jolted upright. I am The Great and Powerful Trixie. I can earn my lunch without begging even if nopony wants to watch my performance.

Trixie approached a bakery and looked at the shop window, filled with all kinds of baked goods. All those mouth watering cakes, muffins, breads…

Her stomach betrayed her again, louder this time.

“Are you new here, dear?”

Trixie felt her face heat up even as her ears dropped. She surveyed the speaker; like everything else in this village she was gray, light gray for the body with a dark gray mane. Even her cutie mark was gray; three rocks. The only splashes of color on her were her golden spectacles, a golden necklet, and her blue eyes.

It’s not her fault, though Trixie. There was something calming about the older mare, a gentle tone in her voice. Perhaps she can help me find a job, at least until other ponies forget about what happened in Ponyville.

Trixie cleared her throat in an attempt to steady her voice. “I’m just a traveling performer, but this town doesn’t seem to need my services. Do you know where I can find a job, earn a few bits?”

The older mare nodded once. “I do know where you can find a job.” She pointed to the bakery door. “Why don’t we talk inside over some tea and cakes? I would love to hear about your travels, life in the old farm can get a little…” she touched a hoof to her chin. “Uneventful.”

Trixie rubbed her neck, letting a lock of her mane fall in front of her face. “Can’t we discuss the job here? I’m not hungry.”

The older mare looked over Trixie for a few seconds, an understanding smile in her face. “I insist. Hearin’ your story is sure worth treatin’ you to some tea. My name is Cloudy Quartz, but you can call me Cloudy.”

Trixie lifted her head, a gleam in her eyes. If Cloudy was giving her lunch in exchange for a story, Trixie would make it worth every last bit. On the other hoof, perhaps I should drop the Great and Powerful thing for a while.

“My name is Trixie, Magician Extraordinaire. Prepare to hear some of the most spectacular stories ever heard by ponykind!”


“... and that is how Trixie saved the town of Ponyville from the rampage of an Ursa Minor, with a little help of the town librarian.” Trixie finished another muffin and took a sip of the tea.

“That was sure excitin’.” Cloudy lifted her spectacles and looked directly at Trixie. “But you know, I do have a daughter livin’ in Ponyville.”

Trixie gulped. Uh oh.

“She told that story in a different way. How a traveling magician had bragged about being able to vanquish an Ursa Major, but in the end couldn’t even handle an Ursa Minor and fled after her ruse was discovered.”

Trixie’s ears went flush against her falling head as she made a motion to stand. “If you want me to leave —”

Cloudy glared at the magician, her voice assuming a commanding tone. “Ya sit there and listen to the end. I’m not finished with you, for granite’s sake.” Her voice, and glare, softened. “She also told me that the magician stood against the Ursa. She did try to save the town, even though she knew she was a fake. First rule if you are going to work for me, you don’t lie. Not to myself, not to my family, not to our customers.”

Trixie blinked. “Wait, what?”

“You need a job. My husband needs more help with the Pie family farm. If you are ready to work, I can take ya.” Cloudy left some bits on the table and stood. “You comin’?”

Author's Note:

Feel free to point flaws, errors, or to make suggestions; I'm here to learn.