• Published 2nd Mar 2014
  • 599 Views, 6 Comments

Chaotic Cupid - Silent Strider



A strange pegasus colt fall injured in front of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and ask them for help with his mission: spread love across Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 6
 599

Falling

Scootaloo was zipping towards the Crusaders’ clubhouse on her scooter, pulling Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom on the attached red wagon, when she heard a loud crash on the treetops above. Glancing upwards, she saw a white blur tumbling towards them.

“Hold on!”

A sharp pull on the scooter’s handlebar sent the whole contraption skidding to the right, the three wide-eyed fillies holding to the vehicle with all their might. The wagon tilted as if in slow motion, finally turning over Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom.

Lifting the wagon, Scootaloo looked at her two friends. “Everypony all right?”

Dusting herself, Sweetie Belle looked around. “What was that?”

Three pairs of eyes fixed on the small white form in the center of the road. It was a pure white pegasus colt, about as large as any of the fillies, who was right now trying to get up. His mane and tail were a golden, almost metallic, hue. He was wearing a strange vest that looked like it was made of a single pink bedsheet, and on his left shoulder was an empty quiver. The vest left his flank uncovered, where a cutie mark in the shape of a bow and a heart-tipped pink arrow was visible.

The white pegasus winced and almost fell back down, nearly dropping a strange bow decorated with heart shapes that lie his back, as he tried to put weight on his front right leg. Apple Bloom was immediately at his side, steadying him. “Are you all right?”

The pegasus looked painfully at his injured hoof. “No, I’m not, but thanks for your concern.”

Sweetie belle tilted her head while looking at him. “Are you from around here? We can get you home, or to the hospital.”

His ears sagging, the pegasus answered: “I’m not from here. I came from the Crystal Empire to do a very important task, but I can’t complete it with my hoof injured. I didn’t want to disappoint Princess Cadance on my very first mission.” He turned his head towards the trio, puppy-eyed. “Unless you can help me? Please?”

Scootaloo buzzed to his side. “You mean you work for Twilight’s sister in law? Of course we will help! What do you need, anyway?”

The white pegasus ears perked. “To spread love, of course! Dors Cid, cadet at the Cupid Corps, at your service!”

Apple Bloom’s eyes went wide. “Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You need us to make other ponies fall in love with each other?”

“Well, yes! You see, the bow does not work for adults, so I need a filly or colt I can trust to use it. Hey, half the Cupid Corps are blank flanks like us, you should do fine!”

Scootaloo raised one eyebrow. “Us? But you have a cutie mark.”

Dors looked at his flank. “Oh, this. I guess I should show you.” He dropped his bow.

In a flash of light his cutie mark was gone, as were his wings and his tunic. His coat changed to a tan color, his mane and tail becoming black, and he was now wearing green saddlebags in addition to the quiver. “The bow is also our magical uniform. I hear Luna does something similar for her guards. Hey, why don’t one of you try it?”

Sweetie Bell used her magic to lift the bow and bring it close, examining it. She extended her leg and took the bow in her hoof, and suddenly instead of the unicorn filly there was a white pegasus, identical to how Dors looked earlier, down to the cutie mark, except for being a filly instead of a colt. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom let out a low whistle.

Dors was trotting in place with excitement. “Yes! Now we just have to find somepony that can make new arrows and -”

Sweetie Belle tried to flap her new wings, sending her into a forward arc that ended with she landing on her face. “Ouch!” She released the bow with the impact, reverting to her unicorn self.

Dors winced, massaging his forehead. “Oh, yeah. Flight training. My bumps had bumps back then. Say, why don’t we let Scootaloo try? The way she handled the scooter, I bet she will be an ace flier on her first try!”

Scootaloo took a few steps towards Dors. “Hey, how do you..”

Dors took the bow from the ground and tossed it at Scootaloo, who mindlessly caught it.

Dors smiled. “Why don’t you try those wings?”

Scootaloo, looking just like Sweetie Bell a few moments ago, rose into the air unsteadily. “Wow, look at me!”

Dors’ smile widened. “By the way, remember when I said half the Cupid Corps are blank flanks? Most of the other half earned their cutie marks doing this job.”

Apple Bloom furrowed her brow. “I don’t know. Last time we messed with love, we almost made my brother marry our teacher with that love poison.”

Dors’ mouth went slack for a moment. “Love poison? You were the fillies that made love poison by accident? Boy, they use that accident to tell us what not to do in basic training!”

The trio winced.

“Well, “ Dors continued, “if it’s any consolation, the instructor said that the fillies’ names is a secret, and Cadance herself said to us that she would forgive those fillies if they ever asked; it was just an accident, after all.

“Besides, “ he took a thin book from his saddlebag, “I brought our field manual that teaches how to craft more arrows and use the bow. What do you say, are you in?” He extended his front leg.

The trio looked among themselves and, determination in her eyes, clapped Dors’ hoof, saying in unison: “We’re in!”

“Ouch! I’m hurt, you know!”

The trio looked sheepishly. “Sorry!”

Author's Note:

Feel free to point flaws, errors, or to make suggestions; I'm here to learn.