• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 777 Views, 3 Comments

Octavia's Dilemma - LockHeart Key



Rarity want's Octavia to ask a colt to a ball, should be no problem right?

  • ...
4
 3
 777

Finding a voice

“Oh,” Octavia was dazzled by her reflection. Before her stood a beautiful pony whos hair shimmered as if the sun was always shining on it. Her eyelids were painted a deep blue and her tail was put up in a braid. “I'm not sure if I recognize myself.”

“You look stunning,” Rarity praised herself, “Now go out there and bring him with you tomorrow!” She shoved her out the door and waved goodbye with a handkerchief in her hove. The door shut behind her leaving her alone once more. She strutted to the cafe, and peered though the window. Noteworthy was at the piano, and Tippour was making his rounds of the tables. She startled as a voice snorted behind her.

She turned to see Vinyll again. “What?” The snickering pony answered her, “You didn't think I would let you do this alone did you?”

“How, long have you known?” She asked.

“Uh, only since you come here everyday and are always singing the same songs over and over again.” Vinyll stuck her tongue out and made gagging noise. “What is with the look?”

“I uh, wanted to make a good impression.”

“But he doesn't need that, he's seen you before. He sees you every day Octi. It won't matter.”

“Yes, but does he ever notice me? Do you think he'll be interested?”

Vinyll shrugged. “Maybe he won't be, but if he's not he'll be missing out cause your a great pony.”

“I, I can't do this.” Octavia put her hoof down. “You had no right to go telling Rarity anything about what it is you think I want. You two can't be pushing me around, forcing me to do something I’m not comfortable with.”

“If you don't do something you'll always wonder though. I want to see you be happy, and it seems like this pony could do the trick, and your obviously not getting anywhere by us letting you be.” Octavia turned and darted away back towards home. She crawled under her covers and closed her eyes.

There was a gentle knock on her door followed by, “I'm sorry I didn't meant to say anything that would scare you away, just please, don't be afraid to talk to him. Your holding yourself back here.”

In the morning Octavia rose from her bed. The makeup had smeared across her face and her hair was stiff and tangled. She took a long bath to sort all of it out. The lilac bubbles rose her spirits and feeling freshed and renewed she started off to another day.

She returned to the cafe with a new magazine from the market and some fresh sheet music to look over. With her tea beside her and the music around her she felt comfortable. This was enough for her. She glanced at the tea, she knew that was not what she came here for, and the cushion that she sat on wasn't any different from the others. The difference was him, he was what drew her to this place, him, and his music. She could be happy, not just content. She stood.

The piano seemed to be a mile away, but she managed to take one step at a time, until she reached it. At last. She realized she had been holding her breath. She let it out in a puff. “Uh, are you okay?” Noteworthy leaned around to ask, not missing a beat in his song.

Octavia was only able to slightly nod. He turned back to his music, “That was a nice flower you had in your hair yesterday.”

Her face turned beet red as she formulated a reply. “It-it was from the place with the flowers, and the booth.” She wanted to curl back up in her bed. This is what she had been afraid of. She glanced back over to her spot where she knew she would be safe. She only had to get back there.

“I liked it,” He said.

Wait.

He... liked it? As in he noticed her? And that she had done something different. And not only that but he thought it was nice even. Her head was rushing. “You play the piano very nicely,” She managed to find her voice again.

“Thanks,” He smiled back at her.

She took the opportunity to turn to the counter and ask for some hay to snack on. She returned to her spot, brimming with excitement. Then she realized that even though she managed to talk to him she hadn't asked him to go with her. She was mad at herself for that, but still proud of what she had done. She knew Vinyll would have no problem walking up to him and just saying what was on her mind. But there were so many people here. I have to do this my own way, she reminded herself. If not she would wind up trying to be somepony else again with a fancy mane or wait until Vinyll told him. She knew she couldn't stay silent forever.

To the tune of - “On My Own”

Sitting here listening to his music
All alone, I sway with him till closing
Without him, I feel a silent space there
And I lose my tongue when he meets my eyes
and smiles my way

In Canterlot the ballrooms shine like silver
All the halls are full of joy and laughter
In Equestria the realm is full of music
And all I hear is him, oh will he say yes, I don't know yet

But I'd know, If only if I'd ask
But will he say no and leave me on my own?
And although, he maybe just might say yes
I am sure I would not interest him

Im listening
when no one else can hear you
I am there
If only you could see me
in the crowd but then your done and packing
oh, why can't I just speak up?

There he goes, will he be back tomorrow?
When I am brave
And my voice let's me speak up
When he's gone
I feel my breath returning
With a head that's full of thoughts
So hard to share
Maybe tomorrow
Maybe tomorrow
Maybe tomorrow,

But only if I can.

Noteworthy had his music in a folder as he headed for the door. She knew Tippour was about to ask her to leave for the night as well so he could close up, so she packed her things as well. Noteworthy rushed ahead of her to hold the door. Have a goodnight is what she wanted to say, but the words were caught in her throat, and wouldn't seem to make it any further. She stopped trying to force herself to speak, knowing that when the words came out they would be jumbled anyway. Her bag brushed against his folder and the papers flew everywhere.

Octavia stuttered, “Oh, no, sorry, it's just my, I c-.” She looked down at the pile on the floor, there was barely any music in the folder at all, it was mostly ticket stubs. “Here, let me help you with that,” She managed.

“No,” He tried to hide the mess, “It's okay, I've got it, it's fine.” She looked down, ashamed, then she saw the words on the paper.

“The moonlight Serenade,” She read aloud. He must have been at every single show. Then she noticed the others, all things that she had played at.

“No,” He panicked, “I can explain.” Octavia stood speechless and stunned. “I just really like hearing you play, and I didn't want to scare you off. I like seeing you when you come in every day.”

Octavia moved herself to speak up, “But that's why I come in every day, to hear you play.”

“Really?” He asked, just as shocked as she had been.

“Say,” The words came so easily to her now, “There is a ball in a few days, and I'd like to know if you'd go with me?”