• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 2,343 Views, 13 Comments

The Dino Dragon - Wildcard25



Having the same dream countless times, Spike finally sets out to find the truth about his origin, but may be in for more than what he bargained for as he uncovers everything.

  • ...
4
 13
 2,343

Royal Rumble

"This is... all my fault!" Spike cried in sadness.

"Spike?" Twilight gasped.

"What do ya mean all your fault?" Applejack asked in confusion.

"I'm the one who got us into this mess!" Spike continued to cry, "If I wasn't so desperate to find the answers to my past we never would've come here and we wouldn't have gotten caught!"

"Well that's not true, Spike." Twilight tried to comfort him.

"It kinda is." Rainbow spoke up, hating to be blunt.

"Hush!" Rarity hushed her.

"Come on, Spike. Nopony could've predicted this would happen." Twilight spoke to him.

"Yes, it could've happened to anypony." Fluttershy added.

"But it happened to all of us. All because of me," Spike continued to put himself down and sniffled, "You were right, Twilight. Trying to learn too much only led me to answers I didn't want."

The girls looked at Twilight seeing she told him such a thing that came true, "Oh, Spike. I didn't mean for this kind of stuff to be what you'd find out."

"Well it did. And now we're all paying the price because of my curiosity." Spike sighed.

Twilight knew she had to bring Spike around, "Spike, do you remember that one time in Canterlot when we were younger? I had us sneak into the restricted section of the castle library because I was curious about all the more advanced books. And we both got caught and brought to the princess."

"You what?" Rainbow asked, only to get hushed by Rarity again.

"She was disappointed that we did it, but I remember one thing she taught us was that curiosity can kill the cat, but it's not a sin." the princess explained.

Spike remembering that lesson they learned started shedding less tears, as Rarity spoke, "Twilight's absolutely right, darling. Celestia knows we've all been curious more than once in our lives and it led to us making mistakes and problems."

"That's right." Applejack agreed.

"Point is, there's no shame in feeling curious about anything." Twilight made her point.

"So come on, give us a smile Spike." Pinkie smiled up at him as did the others.

Spike feeling renewed with spirit smiled, "Thanks, guys. I never should've blamed myself for this.

"That's the spirit partner." Applejack smiled.

Spike sighed, "Still, I wish there was a way for us to get out of here."

"So we do." Twilight sighed, since the locks were magic proof.

Rarity noticed Pinkie looked happy, "And why pray tell are you so happy, Pinkie Pie?"

"Oh nothing, it's just we've always been in tight spots like this and something good always happens to us in the end."

"Those were by luck." Applejack noted.

"But they still happen." Pinkie replied, "Why just you wait. Something good's bound to happen any moment now." they all waited and saw nothing had happened.

"Nothing's happening." Fluttershy said in worry.

"Give it time." Pinkie replied.

"But we don't have time, Pinkie!" Rainbow called, until the dungeon door slammed open taking them all by surprise.

They looked to see Bronko at the entrance of the dungeon, "I'm busting you all out of here!"

They gasped and looked at Pinkie, who was grinning and spoke, "Told you."

Bronko came by with the key and began unlocking their binds. Once they were all released they stood before Bronko, as Spike spoke, "Thanks, Bronko."

"Not that we're not grateful and all, but why're you busting us out?" Applejack asked in confusion.

"Yeah, why?" Rainbow asked suspiciously.

Bronko sighed, "The truth is I was blackmailed into assisting with the downfall of King Geki and Queen Elsa."

"What?!" they gasped.

"Blackmailed, how?" Twilight asked.

"He threatened me that if I didn't help him in his scheme he would make sure my wife and baby would pay the price." he answered.

"Why of all the..." Applejack gasped.

Rainbow frowned, "That Razer is such a jerk!"

"Of course, to use your own wife and child against you." Rarity agreed.

"But I promise you there are more innocent lives here who have not been punished and would be willing to help you in standing up to Razer." Bronko promised.

"Even you would help?" Twilight asked hopefully.

Bronko looked at Spike seeing Geki and Elsa in him, and smiled, "I would be honored."

"Good, then we got no time to lose. Where's Razer?" Spike asked.

"At the town square prepared to give a eulogy for you and your friends."

"Nopony or dino's gonna be giving my eulogy!" Rainbow called, "Only somepony who's awesome deserves that privilege."

"Come on, we have to hurry." Twilight stated, as they all took off while Bronko got to work himself.

Meanwhile at the town square, many of Dinolot's inhabitants were gathered before the king and his guards, before speaking, "Today we face a tragedy similar to the one hat befell us many years ago when our beloved king and queen were murdered. I'm talking about the passing of their beloved son, Prince Spike. For last night my guards found him dead in his chamber strangled by his own bed sheets. I can only assume it was the very assassins who took his parents did the same to him. And if it weren't bad enough, they also murdered his six pony friends who came along with him to find the answers to his heritage. The seven shall be gravely missed." he bowed his head, followed by his guards, and the kingdom's inhabitants.

"The only one missing something is you, Razer!" a voice shouted, as the dinosaurs looked up seeing Spike riding Twilight's back as the princess flew down and descended before them, "And what you miss is an important fact, karma will bite you back!"

"It's the prince!" a dinosaur citizen gasped.

"And one of his friends!" another gasped.

"And us!" Rainbow called as she, and the others galloped onto the scene.

"They're alive?" a stegosaurus gasped, as they all looked to their king expecting an answer.

"It's a miracle!" he gasped, while putting on a shocked expression.

"Don't you play innocent with us!" Spike called.

"Yeah, tell every dino the truth, Razer." Applejack ordered.

"You locked us in the dungeon and planned to have us killed!" Twilight added.

The inhabitants gasped as they looked at their king, who acted quick, "This is all a set up! They're obviously trying to frame me!"

"No they are not!" another voice called, as they saw Bronko approach with many other raptors who were actually the real guards but were captured and locked up, and replaced by Razer's hired goons.

"Bronko?" he gasped.

"Citizens of Dinolot, King Razer is a liar and a murderer!" Bronko called.

"Bronko, silence!" Razer ordered.

"No!" he shot back, "I'm done taking orders from you! He staged everything that happened from the murder of our king and queen to the attempt of taking the lives of their son and his friends! His own guards were the assassins he hired and locked the real guards up in the dungeon all this time!"

The inhabitants gasped as they looked at their king, who looked right from left seeing he was backed into a corner. He frowned as he saw after so many years of deception the truth has finally come out. He let out a laugh, "Yes, that's right! I did it! I'm the one responsible for Geki and Elsa's murder, and I had recently tried to do away with their child! And you know what, I'd do it all again!" he laughed mockingly.

Spike and the girls frowned, as the dragon/dinosaur looked to Bronko who nodded in agreement. Spike shouted to the real guards, "Seize that traitor!"

Razer smirked, "If it's a fight you want, I'll be happy to oblige. Attack!"

And so Razer's minions charged into battle against the guards, while all the citizens took cover. As the loyal guards fought Razer's raptors, the ponies joined in using their natural abilities to take them on. Rainbow was dashing all around some of the raptors making them dizzy, Applejack was bucking some from behind, Rarity and Twilight were using their magic to levitate some crates before dropping them on their heads, Fluttershy was giving them the stare, and Pinkie pulled out some marbles and began letting them roll forward, causing them to slip and land on the ground.

As they were fighting, Spike saw Razer trying to make a getaway, "Hey, he's getting away!" he called.

"Not if I can help it!" Bronko called, as he charged after him.

Spike not wanting Bronko to go alone, followed him. He watched as Bronko and Razer stood facing off with each other, "You dare betray me, Bronko?"

"Yes, Razer. You blackmailed me into following your orders and killed the king and the queen. You were their friend!" Bronko shouted.

"All in the past. And after I'm done with you, I'll make due on my promise and give their son the same fate!" he promised, while Spike gasped.

"Over my dead body!" Bronko growled.

"Yes." Razer smirked as the two engaged each other.

Razer was using his teeth to try and chomp at Bronko, but he retaliated by dodging and using his tail to whip Razer back. Spike could only watch as the two dinosaurs fought each other, until Razer using his sharp claws slashed at Bronko's neck making him recoil. The Giganotosaurus finished him by tail whipping him, causing Bronko to collapse in exhaustion.

"Bronko!" Spike cried.

Razer looked down on Bronko, "Now I will finish you, and then go after your wife and child!" he was about to sink his teeth into Bronko, until a rock was thrown at the side of his head. He growled, before turning back seeing Spike glaring up at him. He chuckled amusingly, "So the crown prince decides to stand up to his parents murderer. This would be a very heroic moment if it wasn't so pathetic."

Spike growled, "You murdered my parents, lied to the kingdom, locked me and my friends up, and now you've hurt a comrade. You will pay for that!" he roared as his whole body started growing and changing, much to Razer's shock.

Suddenly standing before him was Spike in his giant form which he became during his dragon greed phase, "Impossible!" Razer gasped.

Spike spoke in a more mature voice to match his giant form, "Oh no, Razer. You see anything is possible here in Equestria! And I'm gonna prove it to you!" he charged and the two giant reptiles engaged in combat, with neither one letting up.

As they fought, Razer spoke, "You fight well for an amateur!"

"Well truth be told, I never did fight anything like this before. Granted I was never this size when I fought an enemy." Spike admitted, as he punched Razer's face and avoided a chomp from his enemy.

Soon Twilight and the girls arrived and saw what was happening, "Spike?" they gasped.

"He's a giant again." Applejack gasped.

"But how? He only grew that size due to dragon greed." Twilight stated.

"Spike has finally mastered his dino heart." Bronko answered.

"Bronko?" they gasped, seeing the dino crawl his way to them.

"Oh my gosh, you're hurt!" Fluttershy gasped at the scratch at his neck.

"Wait a minute, what do you mean dino heart?" Rainbow asked.

"It's a rite of passage that dinosaurs must embrace in order to grow up," he explained, "Spike seeing what Raze intended to do to all of us here, and for what he did to his parents has allowed him to embrace his true dinosaur self. And now he's ready to conquer the shadows that plagued his family."

"I'll say he's ready. Just look at him go." Rainbow gasped, as they watched their friend take the fight to Razer.

"Get him, Spike!" Pinkie cheered, as they all started shouting encouragement to him.

Spike hearing their cheers smiled, and thought, 'My friends.' he then delivered a punch to Razer's face knocking the crown off his head.

"You knocked my crown off!" Razer roared.

"You are not fit to wear the crown of my father!" Spike roared back, as they continued to go at it with claw swipes, tail whips, and punches.

When Razer suddenly left himself opened, Spike grabbed him by the tail and started lifting him up and slamming him to the ground from all around.

Razer was getting tired from taking so many hits and slams, until Spike threw him forward all the way to the edge of a cliff where the ocean was below it. Razer rolled across the ground before getting to close to the edge. He had almost fallen off it, had he not sank his claws in the ledge desperately hanging on.

"Spike, help me!" he pleaded with his life.

Spike approached, "You deserve this fate for your treachery." he crossed his arms.

"I'm sorry, Spike. You were right! I let my own jealousy consume me forcing me to take my own friends life. Please give me a chance to redeem myself! Your parent's would do the same!" he cried.

Spike looked at him with conflicting emotions, while the girls watched. Before any of the girls could go to him, Bronko spoke, "No girls, this is a choice Spike must make on his own."

They all nodded and watched Spike from their distance. Spike spoke up, "This is my parents kingdom. Remember your place." he extended his claw out and took one of Razer's.

"Thank you, Spike," Razer thanked him in relief, before a quick grin appeared on his face, "Psyche!" he grabbed Spike's claw and tugged him forward off the edge.

"NO!" Spike screamed, as he fell forward off the cliff.

"SPIKE!" the girls cried.

Spike however grabbed Razer's tail to keep himself from falling. However Razer wasn't strong enough to hold onto the ledge with the excess weight pulling him down, "AHH!" he screamed before he let go of the ledge, and fell to the waters below with Spike, "NO!" he cried as the two giants wrestled before hitting the water.

"Spike!" the girls cried as they ran to the edge of the cliff, as Bronko limped over.

"I don't see anything down there." Rarity gasped seeing the two had to have sunk into the water.

"I'll check it out!" Rainbow called, as she zoomed down to the ocean and put her head into the water and looked around seeing nothing but a black chasm below which was right where they would've continued to fall into. She saw no sign of Spike or Razer trying to come up.

She pulled her head up, and flew up to the cliff looking saddened, "Well, did you find him?" Applejack asked.

"Where is he?" Fluttershy asked in concern.

"Rainbow, is he ok?" Twilight asked in worry.

Rainbow looked to them sadly, "No. I didn't see either of them."

They gasped as Bronko's eyes were filled with sorrow, "Razer took Spike down with him. King Geki, King Elsa, I am so sorry." he cried.

The ponies grew sad at the loss of their friend, as Pinkie's mane and tail turned flat, and hugged a sobbing Fluttershy. Applejack and Rainbow comforted each other, while Twilight and Rarity did the same to each other, "He was our friend." Twilight sobbed.

"Oh, poor Spikey." Rarity cried as tears fell from her eyes.

"He went down like a hero," Rainbow began as she wiped a tear from her eye, "And that's more awesome than anything that's ever been awesome."

"I'm sure gonna miss the little guy." Applejack agreed, as she took off her hat as a sign of respect.

They started to turn around preparing to head back to the town square to deliver the sad news. Twilight looked down still sad, "The library won't be the same without my number one assistant."

Suddenly they heard coughing sounds. They turned around and saw who else but Spike crawl onto the ledge and onto the land, looking soaked. But what was shocking the most was that he wasn't big anymore, and yet he wasn't the same baby dragon size they knew him by. Instead he was about the same size he was when Twilight first noticed his sudden growth after his birthday.

"Stop!" he cried, as he got onto the land, "You're not seriously leaving me here are you?"

"Spike?" the girls gasped with wide eyes.

"Who else?" he asked, with a cough of water.

"SPIKE!" they galloped over and bombarded him with hugs.

"You're all right!" Fluttershy cheered.

"We knew you wouldn't be gone!" Pinkie nuzzled his face.

"You jerk, don't you ever scare us like that again!" Rainbow chided him, but hugged him.

"We were so worried about ya." Applejack wiped a tear out of her eye.

"Oh my Spikey-Wikey!" Rarity squealed as she kissed Spike's cheek.

"I'm so glad you're alive, Spike," Twilight smiled, "But what happened to Razer?"

"More importantly, what happened to you?" Rainbow asked noticing his new size.

"Well Razer and I were falling into that chasm together, but due to me having stronger arms I could swim better than him with those sticks he calls arms. It took me awhile to break free but I managed to swim out of the chasm, while he drowned. As for why I look like this now, I have no idea. As I climbed up the cliff I felt like I was getting smaller and smaller, until finally I made it to this size."

Bronko came forward, "Because you have undergone the ritual for dinosaurs Dino Heart, you can finally move forward with your growth. You're no longer a baby dragon or dinosaur."

Spike looked at himself, "Well that's just awesome." he smiled, until he saw Bronko holding the crown.

"You have overthrown our tyrannical and deceptive king," he began, "And now it is with great pleasure I crown you Spike son of King Geki and Queen Elsa, the new king of Dinolot." he crowned Spike, as the growing dragon/dinosaur saw it the crown had suddenly decreased in size so it could fit his head.

"The ponies gasped, as Spike spoke, "Me, the king?"

"Yes, your majesty." Bronko said as he bowed to him, prompting the ponies to bow as well.

Spike looked at them feeling awkward, not sure exactly what to do, until Pinkie spoke up, "Hey, we should now have a party in King Spike's honor!"

"Huh?" they asked.

Bronko spoke up, "An excellent idea, Ms. Pie. We shall prepare a joyous celebration tonight in Spike's honor!" Applejack got Spike onto her back, as they trotted off back to the town square where all of the kingdom would celebrate their new king.