• Published 12th Jul 2014
  • 660 Views, 21 Comments

Distant Shores - Imperaxum



An uncharacteristically adventurous, for her race, earth pony: a unicorn with mediocre magic, and a pegasus that prefers the wheel of an airship than personal flight. Together, these three explore the East, far past Equestria's shores.

  • ...
0
 21
 660

Bonus Chapter: Stormclouds on the Horizon, Part I

Morcoast - 25 local militia (note: probably not worth it)
Blas - 140 Guard, capability for ~3000 levies, powerful seaborne fleet (note: will take a month minimum to prepare, their best contribution. Very loyal, have a grudge with the Arabians)
Ironclast - 700(?) Guard, capability for ~17000 levies, powerful airship fleet (note: harbors intense animosity for Redclain. Were instrumental in the fall of the Empire, loyalty is suspect at best. I don't trust them)
Redclain - 1400 Guard, capability for ~25000 levies many of whom are pre-trained (note: distrustful of Ironclast, useful hatred of the Arabians is prevalent. Extremely loyal, will the be the first to join the new Empire. Already in contact with their representatives. Any invasion will go through them, as they share a sizable border with Arabia)
Haest - 80 Guard, capability for ~1300 levies. Loyal.
Ruvar - 160 Guard, capability for ~2900 levies. Nominally neutral, popular opinion is favorable.
Farscaas - 470 Guard, capability for ~3200 levies. Neutral, disgustingly so.
Coldshore - unknown, not worth the trouble in the slightest (note: possibly under bandit control as Ruvar states, perhaps an expedition to the wretched Northern port with tilt the scales there.}
Eas - 2500 Guard, training up 19000 levies to professional standards, capability for 35000 more levies albeit inexperienced (note: it's my city. Loyal, obviously)

Enemies:
Maretonia - estimates of military capabilities are about 80-150 Guard but ceremonial in nature, fighting capabilities of the general populace suspect at best (note: long history of neutrality, to breach it would seem a poor idea at the moment. They've been strengthening ties with Equestria very recently, probably in fear of me. I like the sound of that)
Saddle Arabia and its client states, allies, etc.) - greater detail in my documents dedicated on them. Basic military strength is estimated to be over 30000 Janissaries, an unparalleled professional force. Extremely disciplined. Perhaps 20000 more border troops and irregulars. Unknown numbers of levies, although the training that turns Arabians into viable soldiers takes years. Troops that aren't Arabian round off to around ~10000, mostly Turkais troops. Highly distrustful of me, and with good reason.

Crown Princess Vaernya glanced up from her writings and yawned, stretching out her stiff wings tiredly. Her eyes, however, burned brightly at her next move; she opened up a small drawer in her desk and removed a sheet of paper. She dipped her quill in ink and began to write anew, looking over at the doorway furtively as she did so.

Equestria - 600 Guard scattered throughout the country, ceremonial in Canterlot. Of little threat. Levy capability is extremely limited, the populace having a pathetic understanding of war. Their leaders, however, are very powerful. Four "alicorns".

But they are not invincible, as this document will show. And good thing, for Equestria looms on the horizon as an obstacle.

Author's Note:

Wrote this in the Philippines, specifically in an Internet cafe in SM Cebu in an hour. Just a bit of worldbuilding, too much on my mind to get going with the main story. A thought exercise, really. Sorry if it seems like I'm beating around the bush and not moving the plot along fast enough.

Cheers, mates. I hope I don't catch Ebola on the way back to the US.