• Published 12th Jul 2014
  • 661 Views, 21 Comments

Distant Shores - Imperaxum



An uncharacteristically adventurous, for her race, earth pony: a unicorn with mediocre magic, and a pegasus that prefers the wheel of an airship than personal flight. Together, these three explore the East, far past Equestria's shores.

  • ...
0
 21
 661

Refraction

"Before you go on your way," Twilight Sparkle said as they walked from the University lecture hall, "there's someone I'd like you to meet."

Shores nodded neutrally and followed the eccentric princess, still internally awash with glee. Wordlessly, they made their way through the maze of cheaply-whitewashed corridors, before arriving at the University gardens.

An aged gardener toiled in the distance, wearily pulling weeds from among the wilting flowers. The sky was grey, a storm boiling on the horizon, stoked by the Canterlot pegasi.

Twilight stopped as they reached a small fountain, the water brown and speckled by decaying leaves. The calming gurgle of the pump was a sputtering gasp from neglect. Shores glanced uneasily around, before fixing her expectant gaze on the princess.

"We're here." she said loudly, but not to Shores.

From behind a weathered tree, a unicorn stallion cautiously trotted out. Clad in a dark blue cloak held fast by a dull brooch, a hood covered his head. Said hood was thrown back a moment later. Bright, intelligent emerald eyes returned Shores' stare.

"Distant Shores, this is Glimmering Prism, a graduating student at the University." Twilight said, pointing a hoof at the stallion.

"Well met." Shores warily greeted him, extending a hoof for a polite shake.

"Do you know why you two are here?" Twilight asked.

"To explore the East!" Shores grinned.

Prism seemed surprised at this, and shot the alicorn a pointed look. "I'm here to accompany a royal cartographer as her scientific representative, as she maps Equestria." he said slowly, emphasizing the more familiar land.

Twilight pouted. "Prism, we went over this. You accompany the cartographer wherever she wishes to go in pursuit of knowledge. We have practically no knowledge on the East." she explained, getting eager nods from the earth pony and a skeptical frown from the unicorn.

"Still . . ." Prism muttered. "An earth pony and the poorest magicking unicorn in Equestria, in the East?"

"Hey!" Shores exclaimed, stepping forward.

Twilight's hoof shot out, stopping the flustered mare in her tracks. "Prism. We talked about this." she said flatly, with a knowing look dancing across her face.

His entire posture suddenly sagged, his head bowing down to stare at the ground morosely. "Yeah. It's not my fault the graduation exam this year was judged by a fired 'Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns' professor." he said, then perked up with blazing eyes. "Magic has never been a part of the final test until now, thanks to that hack." he snarled.

"And now you need extra credit to not fail." Shores guessed bluntly. An outraged glance from Twilight and a rather melancholy expression from Prism was all the confirmation she needed.

"Shores! That's impolite." the alicorn chided.

"And blackmailing this stallion into following me for your benefit is better, how?" the earthy pony shot back.

"It's - it's different." Twilight sputtered.

Shores blushed deeply, mortified. "I-I'm sorry, Princess. That was not my right to say that." she said quickly, doing a little bow before an amused Prism.

Twilight seemed even more uncomfortable at that. "No. No, you're right. I was so eager to use my new powers to expand our knowledge of an area that's fascinated my since my foalhood, I ignored the feelings of the poor student I roped into this." she said, half to herself, a thoughtful air in her voice.

She turned to the unicorn, shivering at a cold gust of wind. "I'm sorry, Prism. You'll probably still want to accompany her, but I won't force you to risk yourself in the East."

Next, she faced the earth pony. "And Shores, I'm sorry. I thought I had a one-in-a-million opportunity with you, and I forgot everything else. If he doesn't want to go, I'm sure I can get a royal guard to follow you - if you still wish to make the journey."

The three ponies fell silent, lost in their own thoughts. The wind picked up, the overcast sky growing turbulent, stirred up by the pegasi.

Prism broke the silence. "No. I'll go with her. That stupid professor will have to be impressed if I make a journey like that!" he said, conviction growing with every word. "I hope you chose well, Princess." he said, nodding at Shores.

Twilight perked up. "It's Twilight Sparkle, please and I'm glad you decided to go ahead with it! I'll be sure to put a good word in with the exam board!" she said happily.

Shores completed the trio of happy looks. "I'm still game." she grinned.

Pleased, the alicorn reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a small bag. Handing it to Shores, she said "This is 2,000 bits from the Royal Scientific Fund. You'd be surprised by how little that little goldmine's been used over the years."

"Payment?" Shores asked.

"Getting to the East's not going to be cheap." Twilight sighed. "This ought to cover for any expenses, and if you need more - just check in with the Equestrian Embassy in Morcoast."

"Morcoast." Prism repeated, sounding out the foreign name.

"The closest Eastern realm." Twilight explained. "It's part of Eastern Reach, an archipelago stuck between Equestria and the East proper, whatever that may be."

All present froze as thunder crashed and roared in the distance, and a light rain began to patter down on the city. The old gardener was long gone, and in the lofty streets of Canterlot, ponies sought shelter.

"Anyway, I have to return to Ponyville tonight." Twilight said, shaking their hooves. "Good luck. All the information I've collected about the East, and specifically Morcoast, can be found by request in the Canterlot Royal Archives."

Shores nudged Prism with a cheeky smile. "Can't wait."

Lightning flashed, and the three hurriedly went on their way.